John McCain brain cancer.......now RIP

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Daehawk

John McCain brain cancer.......now RIP

Post by Daehawk »

I know there has been talk in the randomness thread but thought the guy deserved a thread out where it can be seen. I hate government but McCain, even with his quirks and strangeness at times, is a guy I like. I respect him and his stances and history. I give him a break being 80 years old and doing as well as he does in politics.

Anyways he has what is basically terminal brain cancer. Survival rates are usually a small couple years. They give him 6-15 months I read some place. They didn't discover it until he had a blood clot removed from his head.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/heal ... ancer.html

I wish him well. I cant fathom how it must be for him right now.
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Re: John McCain brain cancer.......usually terminal

Post by Kraken »

I respected him until he ran with Palin and went off the rails. Even leaned toward voting for him until then. Since then he's bounced erratically between party loyalist/leader and the old "maverick" image that I used to like. Never wished him any ill, though.

Still appreciate that his life has been mostly devoted to public service and he has more integrity than most of his peers. Recovery probably isn't in the cards so I wish him a graceful and painless exit.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I read an interesting article that McCain's not as much of a maverick but willing to work behind the scenes to shore up Republican dissenters who are too afraid of leadership to come out publicly. McCain then comes out to take the heat, using his public image to force Republican leadership to course correct. When McCain "goes Maverick," he has others standing behind him.

McCain is a Republican who places policy above party. Losing him is going to be a long-term problem for Republican moderates.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Losing him is going to be a long-term problem for American citizens.
FTFY...though what it originally said is true too.
tgb

Post by tgb »

His legacy would be a lot stronger if he hadn't thrust the dipshit into the spotlight, but I wish the best for him and his family.

I'm sure you're all as shocked as I that PGOTUS hasn't bothered to tweet a word.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:I'm sure you're all as shocked as I that PGOTUS hasn't bothered to tweet a word.
Aside from these ones... https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 1109940225
@realDonaldTrump wrote:Melania and I send our thoughts and prayers to Senator McCain, Cindy, and their entire family. Get well soon.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

To be fair, he released a statement wishing him well, and he called him personally too.

Edit: d'oh...max beat me to the punch.
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

OK. I missed that and stand corrected.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Daehawk wrote:I know there has been talk in the randomness thread but thought the guy deserved a thread out where it can be seen. I hate government but McCain, even with his quirks and strangeness at times, is a guy I like. I respect him and his stances and history. I give him a break being 80 years old and doing as well as he does in politics.
I feel the same way about college/professional sports and Joe Paterno, but then I was never rooting for a team that he consistently beat down which is what I truly believe drives all the loathing directed his way. Where as McCain never posed much of a threat to the opposition.

I believe McCain probably never expected to leave the Hanoi Hilton so every moment since then has probably seemed like a gift. I wish him a painless trip.
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Where as McCain never posed much of a threat to the opposition.
Sad that his opposition was his own party.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

em2nought wrote:
I feel the same way about college/professional sports and Joe Paterno, but then I was never rooting for a team that he consistently beat down which is what I truly believe drives all the loathing directed his way.
Well, it's been a while since a Paterno team consistently beat down opponents. I think most of the recent loathing was from the fact that he turned a blind eye to the sexual abuse of minors for like 10 years.

Comparing McCain to Paterno is a strange choice.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I liked McCain as a strong Republican challenger in 2000, then he got turdblossomed and it seems like he never recovered after that. Whatever Rove did to him, it cut him deep.

Other than the fact that he's always been a HAWK! (but really, who wouldn't expect that from him) to me it seemed like he genuinely tried to represent his constituents, unlike Yertle and SpeakerBro right now.

Good luck, McCain!
There is no hug button. Sad!
naednek

Post by naednek »

tgb wrote:OK. I missed that and stand corrected.
quit slouching
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Surprised then that the incidence rate of that tumor isn't a whole lot higher.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

You all need to check out the speech he just gave on the Senate floor.

It's the McCain once admired.

Most excellent speech, imo.
the full speech
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Unagi wrote:You all need to check out the speech he just gave on the Senate floor.

It's the McCain once admired.

Most excellent speech, imo.
Good thing words speak louder than actions.

Sorry for the snark but he just voted to move forward on a process that could take health care away from millions. Everything he decried about the awfulness of the process needed to have been backed up with a no vote. That stands even if he ends up voting against the final product, which given his track record, is not a forgone conclusion.

Of course, this criticism takes nothing away from his incredible service and sacrifice in other areas. But on this one thing, his speech for me is undermined by his earlier vote.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I thought he declared he was a No vote.?
(sorry, I had not been aware of his previous vote)

I agree with your snark.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If I was being generous I'd say his speech was his way of saying - I'm going to give you guys a chance to do the right thing. Since something needs to be done anyway. And that is somewhat true but there is no looming failure. He is putting faith in a lot that are villainous in general. The time for the benefit of doubt is over - both for him and the whole lot.
Holman

Post by Holman »

He's trying to have it both ways: loyalty to party/president (the vote) and high principles (the speech). He doesn't understand that these are now completely incompatible.

McCain is a complex figure worthy of a novel. But remember that when he thought it was his time to lead, he reached for Sarah Palin to win the base.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

hypocrisy is bad
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Holman wrote:He's trying to have it both ways: loyalty to party/president (the vote) and high principles (the speech). He doesn't understand that these are now completely incompatible.

McCain is a complex figure worthy of a novel. But remember that when he thought it was his time to lead, he reached for Sarah Palin to win the base.
To be fair, I don't think McCain...or anyone, really...had any ideal that she was that bat shit crazy. They just saw a locally popular female politician and decided they needed one (which I guess is kind of self serving...but definitely better than having all the facts and still knowingly going with a nut job like Palin)
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've lost a lot of respect for McCain. Even though he's one of the few that have been openly critical of Trump, it's very carefully couched language.

I'm convinced that Trump could drop his pants and take a dump in the middle of the Senate floor, and McCain would simply release a statement that "he thought the President's actions were inappropriate."

These aren't minor policy differences or occasional mistakes. Trump's behavior is a repeated pattern of flagrant disregard for law, tradition, decorum of the office. And all we get, EVERY WEEK when this occurs from the GOP, is a shrug of the shoulders and some soundbite about how they disagree with the actions but blah blah blah.

It's really reprehensible, and I hope every single one of them pays for their "loyalty" in 2018 and beyond.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Politico
Sen. John McCain should reconsider his wish that President Donald Trump not attend McCain's funeral, said Sen. Orrin Hatch, the most senior GOP senator.

McCain prefers instead that Vice President Mike Pence attend his funeral rather than Trump, who has mocked McCain for being tortured and attacked him for voting against Obamacare repeal. But Hatch said he thought keeping the president from his funeral was too much: "I think it's ridiculous."

"Well, he's the president of the United States and he's a very good man. But it's up to [McCain]. I think John should have his own wishes fulfilled with regard to who attends the funeral," said the Utah senator. Asked whether McCain should change his mind about Trump, Hatch said: "I would."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Orrin Hatch is such a fucking tool. The world will not miss him nearly as much as it will Senator McCain. I've never been one to swoon over McCain, but he's been a pillar of strength against Trump compared to Hatch. He's spent his whole life in service to the government. He can ban anyone who damn well pleases from his funeral, whenever that may be.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fantastic idea. Trump has a few hours free after Saturday's golf game, perhaps he can attend Hatch's funeral then.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Spineless assholes like Hatch are the worst kind of politicians.

...that's all I got.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Orrin Hatch wrote:Well, he's the president of the United States and he's a very good man.
You can stop right there.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow
In his new memoir, McCain who is battling brain cancer, writes that the Iraq War “can’t be judged as anything other than a mistake, a very serious one, and I have to accept my share of the blame for it,” as Politico reports.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I certainly wish my brother would have had the quality of doctors that McCain must have.
Stop funding for NPR
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm sure a lot of us have the same burning sorrow. I know I do. However, I think it's pretty damn lame to find "your voice" against John McCain.

It's obviously political and your brother would shake his head.

Are you really shocked that he has such access to the quality of doctors compared to your brother? Do you think we can all, universally demand access to 'the quality of doctors' you are holding up?

How's that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Universal healthcare would make this a non-issue, but apparently it makes the Swedes and Brits and Norwegians into freedom-hating totalitarians.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm I'm sure a lot of us have the same burning sorrow. I know I do. However, I think it's pretty damn lame to find "your voice" against John McCain.
I'm sorry for whatever loss(es) you suffered. What did I just say that attacked John McCain? Nothing that I can see. I didn't wish anything bad on him, just wished that my brother's doctor had been better. So really, frack off on this one mate. :roll:

The only reason I commented in the thread was because my brother had testicular cancer which spread to his brain is all.
Last edited by em2nought on Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop funding for NPR
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

em2nought wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:47 pm
Unagi wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:15 pm I'm sure a lot of us have the same burning sorrow. I know I do. However, I think it's pretty damn lame to find "your voice" against John McCain.
I'm sorry for whatever loss you suffered. What did I just say that attacked John McCain? Nothing that I can see. I didn't wish anything bad on him, just wished that my brother's doctor had been better. So really, F-off on this one mate. :roll:
Seems to me that you placed your comment in the John McCain brain cancer thread, and seemed to put on him a resentment. No?

Cause it's undertstandable, and I don't fault you really, but it's still just not right.

That being said... peace. Life can seriously suck. I get it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Unagi wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:55 pm
That being said... peace. Life can seriously suck. I get it.
Sorry, I was editing. I have a habit of editing about 3 or 4 times until I get it as right as it can be. Not a resentment, I posted it here because they shared where their cancer attacked them. I'd rather everybody had the best doctor possible. While John McCain was a "guest" at the Hanoi Hilton, my brother was probably attending a protest on the lawn in DC while eating homemade ice cream. The disease he had kept him out of Vietnam, but (the side effects of the medications he took for that disease caught up with him before 50)in my mind at least. Peace to you too.
Stop funding for NPR
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Fair winds and following seas, Captain.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rest in peace.

At least you tried.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Today's GOP had no use for his virtues.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

RIP
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

While I disagreed with his politics, and I think his choice of Palin as running mate was a terrible one, he was a man who had integrity and love for his country, and he (along with Collins and Murkowski) saved healthcare for millions. For that he deserves thanks.

RIP.