John McCain brain cancer.......now RIP

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Re: John McCain brain cancer.......usually terminal

Post by Moliere »

You Honored Our Deal, John McCain. I’ll Honor Your Legacy by Mark McKinnon
But the moment that moved me most was the first time I went out on the trail with you. Because of your lean staff at the time, I was doing everything. Whoever had been with you before I showed up handed me a black bag. I looked inside and saw some basic grooming tools, like a hairbrush. But it was only when we arrived at our campaign stop that I realized the purpose.

We were in a van. And we walked out on the side away from the waiting crowd. And you turned to me, a decorated prisoner-of-war survivor, and bent over at the waist in supplication. And then it dawned on me:

You could not comb your own hair. Because of your arms being repeatedly broken as a POW, you could not raise your arms above your shoulders. Then you turned into the crowd. I turned away with tears in my eyes.

In the coming days there will be countless tributes to the brave political stands you took over the years. Your independence was legendary. While I didn’t always agree with you, there was never a question in my mind that you always did as you pledged you would and indeed put country first.

Though no one can or will take your place, I hope that as the country pays tribute to your incredible legacy others will be inspired to step up and try to be the next John McCain.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'll say it again. He was an iffy politician when it mattered, but a good man and better than most.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

And of course, Trump's Instagram tribute to McCain features a giant photo of Trump and no McCain. Asshole.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 am And of course, Trump's Instagram tribute to McCain features a giant photo of Trump and no McCain. Asshole.
No surprise there. He hated McCain and it was only through the pressure of his advisors he posted anything.

He's also a monster, so again, no surprise.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's amazing me to me that his worshippers think he's even got one ounce of character. The orange doofus is 90 percent ego, 9 percent stupidity and 1 percent Scottish.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am It's amazing me to me that his worshippers think he's even got one ounce of character. The orange doofus is 90 percent ego, 9 percent stupidity and 1 percent Scottish.
The Scots might have something to say about that, since they on the whole despise him as well. Presumably if enough people speak up then you can no longer lay claim to your lineage. Can an entire people disown someone?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:29 pm
The Scots might have something to say about that,
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh I know. The documentary You've Been Trumped makes that clear enough. :D
He won. Period.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

John McCain spent his whole life serving his nation as best he knew how, and his passing is a loss for the world. I am seeing way too many graceless things being said about him today amongst the fringe on both the left and right, and hope his family is well insulated from such nonsense as they take this time to grieve.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
hepcat

Re: John McCain brain cancer.......now RIP

Post by hepcat »

Trump boot licker Kelli Ward suggested that McCain’s choice to end treatment was only made in order to hurt her campaign.

We really need to purge Washington of every single scumbag like her and Trump.
He won. Period.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:13 pm Trump boot licker Kelli Ward suggested that McCain’s choice to end treatment was only made in order to hurt her campaign.

There have always been self centered people in politics but it’s the Asshat In Chief that is threatening to have this sort of behavior as the new normal. He couldn’t even be bothered to make an official statement from the White House, relying on a pathetic tweet that doesn’t even reference the service or life of McCain the man but just mentions generic condolences for the family. Even Melania’s tweet thanked McCain for his service to our country.

Hopefully Kelli’s campaign will go down in flames and shame on those people who vote for her!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

$iljanus wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:42 pm
hepcat wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:13 pm Trump boot licker Kelli Ward suggested that McCain’s choice to end treatment was only made in order to hurt her campaign.

There have always been self centered people in politics but it’s the Asshat In Chief that is threatening to have this sort of behavior as the new normal. He couldn’t even be bothered to make an official statement from the White House, relying on a pathetic tweet that doesn’t even reference the service or life of McCain the man but just mentions generic condolences for the family. Even Melania’s tweet thanked McCain for his service to our country.

Hopefully Kelli’s campaign will go down in flames and shame on those people who vote for her!
Even worse, White House staff drafted a statement for him, but the petty asshole simply rejected it.
President Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other White House aides advocated for an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a “hero,” according to current and former White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. The original statement was drafted before McCain died Saturday, and Sanders and others edited a final version this weekend that was ready for the president, the aides said.

But Trump told aides he wanted to post a brief tweet instead, and the statement praising McCain’s life was not released.
Every time I think we can't go any lower...
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I’m going to quote Michael Beschloss from a NYT article which sums up the total failure of this utterly self centered narcissist in the Oval Office.
“For most of American history, politics stopped when you had the death of a national leader, and the fact that it hasn’t says an awful lot about the current state of our country and our politics, and in particular about Donald Trump,” said Michael Beschloss, the presidential historian. “What you’d want to see is a president acting as graciously and as large-mindedly as possible, in the John McCain spirit, but there is no sign of that yet.”
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'd just like to point out that this is a president refusing to acknowledge the life and contributions of one of HIS OWN PARTY.

The idea that Drumpf is a member of the GOP, a conservative or even human is quickly refuted by witnessing his actions for longer than 5 minutes.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive never considered Trump a Republican. He simply used them to get in office. He is a nothing.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Trump used the Republicans to win office, but now the Republicans are becoming more and more like Trump.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 pm Ive never considered Trump a Republican. He simply used them to get in office. He is a nothing.
And yet all the right wing machinery is happily working away to drumpf's benefit. America shouldn't need a blue wave in November. The GOP is in a position to purge themselves of this monster, yet they defend him at nearly every turn. I don't mean any disrespect to the dead, but McCain himself did little more than pay lip service to opposing him. Admittedly that's more than most GOP members have done, but it was still disappointing.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Stop funding for NPR
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Fireball wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:51 pmTrump used the Republicans to win office, but now the Republicans are becoming more and more like Trump.
They are becoming what I always thought they were, but had kept a thin veil of civility over it. The veil has fallen.

McCain served well and he deserved better than he got from his own side.
Last edited by Paingod on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 pm
Even worse, White House staff drafted a statement for him, but the petty asshole simply rejected it.
President Trump nixed issuing a statement that praised the heroism and life of Sen. John McCain, telling senior aides he preferred to issue a tweet before posting one Saturday night that did not include any kind words for the late Arizona Republican.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, Chief of Staff John F. Kelly and other White House aides advocated for an official statement that gave the decorated Vietnam War POW plaudits for his military and Senate service and called him a “hero,” according to current and former White House aides, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal deliberations. The original statement was drafted before McCain died Saturday, and Sanders and others edited a final version this weekend that was ready for the president, the aides said.

But Trump told aides he wanted to post a brief tweet instead, and the statement praising McCain’s life was not released.
Every time I think we can't go any lower...
And the WH flag is back to flying at full staff today. Tradition says it should remain at half-staff until the funeral.

Trump is really going out of his way to shit on McCain.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

When Trump bites it, we should actually ADD height to the flagpole so we can fly our flag higher on that day.
He won. Period.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:13 am When Trump bites it, we should actually ADD height to the flagpole so we can fly our flag higher on that day.
A full two hands worth higher.

Tiny hands, of course.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Congrats to McCain, too, on the last word. Not only has he asked Obama to be one of his eulogists, he's specifically requested that Trump not attend. While it would be pathetically comical to see Trump speak at a funeral and try to lead the crowd in a chant of "Lock Her Up" this is a much clearer statement.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm torn. Not speak? Of course. No brainer. Not attend? It's a funeral. Sitting quietly while people pay their respects seems pretty non-controversial.

You can't trust the media to not make it about Drumpf though, so I guess I understand.

Like having your mistress attend, there is no way it doesn't become all about the monster in the room.

What an honour for Obama. What a middle finger for Drumpf. Well played, McCain.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:14 pm I'm torn. Not speak? Of course. No brainer. Not attend? It's a funeral. Sitting quietly while people pay their respects seems pretty non-controversial.
C'mon. Even if he's not speaking, he's breaking etiquette rules and making things about himself. Can you imagine him shouldering past McCain's wife to get to the casket first? I can. I also cannot see him sitting quietly and not making some kind of scene.
Black Lives Matter

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wonder who granted McCain a state funeral. It isn't automatic for members of congress, and as far as I can tell, it's the president who determines it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm I wonder who granted McCain a state funeral. It isn't automatic for members of congress, and as far as I can tell, it's the president who determines it.
CNN
Sen. John McCain, whose more than three-decade career in the Senate irreversibly impacted the tenor of Washington, will lie in state in the US Capitol this week, an honor given to few statesmen.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a longtime ally of McCain, said that the decision came "in coordination with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer and House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi."
Lying in state, according to the Architect of the Capitol, is an honor reserved for "government officials and military officers" and involves laying the casket of the deceased in the Rotunda of the US Capitol, where the public can come and offer final respects.

"These occasions are either authorized by a congressional resolution or approved by the congressional leadership, when permission is granted by survivors," the Architect of the Capitol instructs on its website.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Paingod wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 pm Congrats to McCain, too, on the last word. Not only has he asked Obama to be one of his eulogists, he's specifically requested that Trump not attend. While it would be pathetically comical to see Trump speak at a funeral and try to lead the crowd in a chant of "Lock Her Up" this is a much clearer statement.
In general, I think it's important to invite children to funerals, there are important life lessons to be learned. That said, if you know the child is likely to act out, best they stay home. So, probably a good call Sen. McCain.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Checking ego, the right thing from top to bottom, :shock: I didn't think it possible.
Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain's service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.

I have asked Vice President Mike Pence to offer an address at the ceremony honoring Senator McCain at the United States Capitol this Friday.

At the request of the McCain family, I have also authorized military transportation of Senator McCain's remains from Arizona to Washington, D.C., military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport during the service at the United States Naval Academy.

Finally, I have asked General John Kelly, Secretary James Mattis, and Ambassador John Bolton to represent my Administration at his services.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That last part is my favorite "screw you" from McCain to the orange doofus.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm Checking ego, the right thing from top to bottom, :shock: I didn't think it possible.
Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain's service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.

I have asked Vice President Mike Pence to offer an address at the ceremony honoring Senator McCain at the United States Capitol this Friday.

At the request of the McCain family, I have also authorized military transportation of Senator McCain's remains from Arizona to Washington, D.C., military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport during the service at the United States Naval Academy.

Finally, I have asked General John Kelly, Secretary James Mattis, and Ambassador John Bolton to represent my Administration at his services.
I wonder who wrote that? Did they manage to get Trump to speak the words?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:52 pm That last part is my favorite "screw you" from McCain to the orange doofus.

I dunno. it's a nice reprieve to see a sign of respect. I don't even care what it took to make it happen.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Somebody realized what the President attacking a beloved war hero right after his death and denying him honors and respect would likely not please the Republican masses. And right now, the specter of losing Congress has got to provide a LOT of leverage against him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall while aides were freaking out at Trump's snub, frantically trying to convince his Orange Majesty that there was NO way his behavior was going to end well.

And frankly, this illustrates once again that Trump CAN be reigned in if enough people confront him on something. He's a bully, and bullies tend to fold when you stand up to them. If the GOP Congress had slapped his hand every time he got out of line instead of kissing his ass, we'd all be in a lot better position right now. Hell, even TRUMP would be in a better position. He's his own worst enemy.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The statement still pointedly refuses to call him a hero.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He's a fucking monster. The flags were raised at your behest, shitgoblin (thanks, Lawbeef!). You don't get to take the high road when the default road is the high road and you intentionally took the low road first.

Can someone, please, make sure he gets his daily recommended dosage of fried chicken?
Holman

Post by Holman »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm Checking ego, the right thing from top to bottom, :shock: I didn't think it possible.
Judging from his arms-crossed scowling refusal to answer reporters' questions about McCain today, I'm guessing Trump had nothing whatsoever to do with this statement.

He certainly didn't write it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1LC0P8

Aside: Y'all should seek help for your Trump Derangement Syndrome, but not tax dollars please. :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:
Judging from his arms-crossed scowling refusal to answer reporters' questions about McCain today, I'm guessing Trump had nothing whatsoever to do with this statement.

He certainly didn't write it.
To me it's a case of a boy acting out and the adults telling him to knock that crap off, the adults probably being Generals Mattis and Kelly who probably had a hand in writing that statement.
Black lives matter!