Republican Assault on Governance

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Republican Assault on Governance

Post by malchior »

Think this theme finally deserves it's own thread. Might as well kick it off right with a truly terrible idea. GOP Rep wants to outsource CBO work to political hacks at Heritage et al.. I guess it is time to roll out any idea that paves the way for their ridiculous, shameless, and regressive agenda.
LordMortis

Re: Republican Assault on Governance

Post by LordMortis »

In exactly which reality are the Heritage Foundation non partisan?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The Republican assault on governance dates to Reagan's proposition that government is always the problem and never the solution. Deregulation and tax cuts are their religion, faith-based in defiance of ample contradictory evidence. When they're out of power they're the party of obstruction, and when they're in power they're the party of destruction. It is no wonder they can't govern.
malchior

Post by malchior »

True - this started with Reagan but they are tearing up functioning institutions to line their own pockets and the pockets of the ultrawealthy at an ever increasing pace. It is insanity that this is even an idea and that no one is hanging off the alarm bells. They are the literal referees and members of the GOP want to hand it off to the hackiest hacks in history?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote:True - this started with Reagan but they are tearing up functioning institutions to line their own pockets and the pockets of the ultrawealthy at an ever increasing pace. It is insanity that this is even an idea and that no one is hanging off the alarm bells. They are the literal referees and members of the GOP want to hand it off to the hackiest hacks in history?

Boy, does that sound familiar...

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/01/russia-i ... study.html
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This would effectively outsource government to the Koch brothers. Can you imagine the OUTRAGE! If any Democrat had proposed outsourcing the Department of Labor to Unions?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Don't like the message? Shoot the messenger!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:The Republican assault on governance dates to Reagan's proposition that government is always the problem and never the solution. Deregulation and tax cuts are their religion, faith-based in defiance of ample contradictory evidence. When they're out of power they're the party of obstruction, and when they're in power they're the party of destruction. It is no wonder they can't govern.
The last Republican to care about good government was Eisenhower. Every standard-bearer after him (Nixon/Goldwater/Reagan/etc) belongs to a different party.

I taught an Eisenhower of the third generation after Ike. The family are all Democrats now.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

LordMortis wrote:In exactly which reality are the Heritage Foundation non partisan?
In the same way the liberal Urban Institute is non partisan (and that one was on his list also) :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote:Think this theme finally deserves it's own thread. Might as well kick it off right with a truly terrible idea. GOP Rep wants to outsource CBO work to political hacks at Heritage et al.. I guess it is time to roll out any idea that paves the way for their ridiculous, shameless, and regressive agenda.
I'm not in favor of this at all but:

1) To be fair, he lists both conservative and liberal sources of data and studies
2) Come back when you have more than one guy saying this Mark Meadows is not the Republican Party by any means. This is like taking an amendment offered by an extremely liberal Dem and saying that person represents the Dem position on that particular amendment.

That said, it's a stupid idea. None of these groups look at all the policies that the CBO scores, and none of them can respond with the speed that the CBO can, and none of them work with Congress in the way necessary to score various bills. His amendment is based upon a total lack of understanding how the CBO works.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Grifman wrote:Come back when you have more than one guy saying this Mark Meadows is not the Republican Party by any means.
Mark Meadows is the Chairman of the Freedom Caucus. In effect, he's 35-40 people saying this. Not enough to do anything with it, but not just one crazy old coot in Congress.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
malchior

Post by malchior »

I disagree. It isn't like pointing out the most lib dem at all. He is head of the freedom caucus which is always smack dab in the middle of all the wrangling and has a lot of bargaining power at the moment.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:That said, it's a stupid idea. None of these groups look at all the policies that the CBO scores, and none of them can respond with the speed that the CBO can, and none of them work with Congress in the way necessary to score various bills. His amendment is based upon a total lack of understanding how the CBO works.
You seem to be assuming that his goal is something that works. This would be fine if all he wants is to neuter the function of the CBO in order to pursue unfettered advancement of his agenda.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Grifman wrote:Come back when you have more than one guy saying this Mark Meadows is not the Republican Party by any means.
Mark Meadows is the Chairman of the Freedom Caucus. In effect, he's 35-40 people saying this. Not enough to do anything with it, but not just one crazy old coot in Congress.
The Freedom Caucus hardly represents the average Republican in Congress, thank heavens. Though that's not saying much :)

I'm just saying that "Republicans Assault Governance" is a bit of a broadbrush paintjob at this point.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Max Peck wrote:You seem to be assuming that his goal is something that works. This would be fine if all he wants is to neuter the function of the CBO in order to pursue unfettered advancement of his agenda.
Seeing that he suggested that the analysis liberal policy groups be included, I'm not sure how that leads to "unfettered advancement".
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
The Freedom Caucus hardly represents the average Republican in Congress, thank heavens. Though that's not saying much :)

I'm just saying that "Republicans Assault Governance" is a bit of a broadbrush paintjob at this point.
It is one example of some of their ideas - the last 30 years are the body of evidence. Especially considering what is happening *right now* in the Senate.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: It is one example of some of their ideas - the last 30 years are the body of evidence. Especially considering what is happening *right now* in the Senate.
At first glance 30 years feels like Hyperbole but when you think about it, the decent into madness really did start when Clinton got in to office and the likes of Rush Limbaugh gained a footing. It really is 25+ years in the making. Now 25 years ago, there was no republican wall of ob/de-struction but that's when the seeds were being sewn.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is debatable to be sure. If I were to draw a hard line it'd be the Contract with America but I'd also argue the descent was catalyzed by Iran Contra and the Bork confirmation hearings. Those events started the low level conflict that burned through the Clinton years, eventually turned into the trench warfare of the Obama years, and the open rout we are seeing now to use some gratuitous and slightly hyperbolic war metaphors.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote:It is debatable to be sure. If I were to draw a hard line it'd be the Contract with America but I'd also argue the descent was catalyzed by Iran Contra and the Bork confirmation hearings. Those events started the low level conflict that burned through the Clinton years, eventually turned into the trench warfare of the Obama years, and the open rout we are seeing now to use some gratuitous and slightly hyperbolic war metaphors.
Do you really think Iran/Contra and the Golden Triangle extended systemically to the GOP. I just don't see it. If I accept that then suddenly I have to go all the way back Barry Goldwater and while the influences were all there, I don't think party contamination happened until conservative talk radio became a ubiquitous topic and I think this happened when they chose Bill Clinton to unify against with Witewatergate being their rallying cry.

If I could lay the unification toward insanity at one thing, it would be Vince Foster's death being publicized on AM radio followed closely by Reno's response to the Branch Davidians.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

A partisan Supreme Court nomination for a key figure in Watergate. And a President circumventing Congress with clandestine CIA ops. Highlights, to be sure.

It's almost reassuring to know things were once just as bad in Washington DC.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Consider Karl Rove and his influence: he's the one that promised Republicans that his ideas would lead to a "permanent majority" in all three branches of government so many years ago.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Consider Karl Rove and his influence: he's the one that promised Republicans that his ideas would lead to a "permanent majority" in all three branches of government so many years ago.
Heh.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... -to-do-the
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:
Max Peck wrote:You seem to be assuming that his goal is something that works. This would be fine if all he wants is to neuter the function of the CBO in order to pursue unfettered advancement of his agenda.
Seeing that he suggested that the analysis liberal policy groups be included, I'm not sure how that leads to "unfettered advancement".
You selectively omitted your own comment:
That said, it's a stupid idea. None of these groups look at all the policies that the CBO scores, and none of them can respond with the speed that the CBO can, and none of them work with Congress in the way necessary to score various bills. His amendment is based upon a total lack of understanding how the CBO works.
I'm just suggesting a reason why he might be proposing a "stupid idea" (to use your own words). If the CBO is holding him back, and he wants to replace the CBO with something that you say is going to be more dysfunctional, do you think he's doing it to help or hinder his cause?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch