Popehat

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Moliere

Popehat

Post by Moliere »

As Popehat continues to gain national attention it seems like Mr Fed deserves his own thread.

Enlarge Image

Popehat: Internet Businesses Rejecting Racists Is an Exercise of Free Speech
So I put out the Popehat Signal Wednesday while guest-hosting Sirius XM Insight's Stand UP! with Pete Dominick, to gain some clarity from one of the best First Amendment commentators in the biz, lawyer Ken White. We discussed his great Charlottesville piece, "America At The End of All Hypotheticals," chewed on the ethics of outing alt-right demonstrators (he's fine with it as long as you've ID'd the right people), and then pivoted to private-company disassociation from deplorables:

Matt Welch: […] What should we think about free-speech implications, if any, of large, broad-based Internet service kind of providers kicking people off for their racisty conduct and life?

Ken White: […] [H]ere's where I part company with a lot of other free speech advocates. I think those companies have a right to free speech and free association. If I'm going to go all Romney on you, I'll say corporations are people, too. But instead, I can just say these are businesses run by groups of people, and their free speech desires and free association desires are just as valid as those as the Nazis.

If they don't want to host Nazis on their private platforms, then that's a free speech choice. Whether or not I agree with it, it's on a plane with the decisions of the Nazis to be Nazis in the first place. So, this is…a situation where some people are suggesting somehow that Group B should shut up and refrain from speech, refrain from free association, to make Group A more comfortable in its speech. I don't think that's a coherent philosophy.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
stessier

Re: Popehat

Post by stessier »

I like the hate speech caller. Granted, I only know the answer because I'm a Popehat reader, but it must have been a bit fun for him to say how very, very wrong the caller was. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I liked the freedom of assembly and permits part a lot too.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
tgb

Post by tgb »

In the event he decides to run for public office one day, we do have all of his RPG-nerd posts archived, right?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

tgb wrote:In the event he decides to run for public office one day, we do have all of his RPG-nerd posts archived, right?
No, those were CONVENIENTLY wiped during the Great OOutage.
Rip

Post by Rip »

My lawyer has advised me not to respond to any questions relating to financial transactions between Mr. White and myself or any accusations of bribery. Please direct any such questions to my counsel.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman

Post by Holman »

Enlarge Image
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I... uh.... Mr Fed is looking a lot like Karl Rove these days...

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:Image
I think you need to find a pic of Tareeq for that ;)

Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote:
I think you need to find a pic of Tareeq for that ;)
Ken is just the spokesman, he is on to out Tareeq.......
Rip

Post by Rip »

tgb

Post by tgb »

It just occurred to me that when the eventual reboot of I Love Lucy is made, Fed would make a perfect Fred Mertz.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

DOJ Demands Info on Popehat and Others Tagged in Smiley Emoji Tweet
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is demanding extensive information on five Twitter users for the sin of being tagged in a post containing a single smiley-face emoji.

Techdirt reported today on the legal saga, which ensnared five Twitter accounts, including First Amendment lawyer and Reason contributing editor Ken White, also known as "Popehat."

The other users included laywer and author Keith Lee (@associatesmind), privacy activist "Dissent Doe" (@PogoWasRight), "Mike Honcho" (@dawg8u) and "Virgil" (@abtnatural). All are "folks who are quite active in legal/privacy issues on Twitter," according to Techdirt's Mike Masnick.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Moliere wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:56 pm DOJ Demands Info on Popehat and Others Tagged in Smiley Emoji Tweet
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is demanding extensive information on five Twitter users for the sin of being tagged in a post containing a single smiley-face emoji.

Techdirt reported today on the legal saga, which ensnared five Twitter accounts, including First Amendment lawyer and Reason contributing editor Ken White, also known as "Popehat."

The other users included laywer and author Keith Lee (@associatesmind), privacy activist "Dissent Doe" (@PogoWasRight), "Mike Honcho" (@dawg8u) and "Virgil" (@abtnatural). All are "folks who are quite active in legal/privacy issues on Twitter," according to Techdirt's Mike Masnick.
Excellent. I'm hoping we may soon discover who this so-called "Ken White" character is......

My only worry is that the fact I once accepted money from him(whoever he is) will get me indicted.

:whistle:
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Holman

Post by Holman »

No sweat. No Kriminal Sopina, no Krimes!
tgb

Post by tgb »

Awwww......our little Fed is an official Enemy of the State.

Makes me proud and a little teary-eyed.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:04 pm No sweat. No Kriminal Sopina, no Krimes!
done!

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

They're probably coming after us next....(pours gasoline on server)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Mr. Fed is on the latest podcast of More Perfect podcast (sort of the Radiolab about Supreme Court cases)!
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 am Mr. Fed is on the latest podcast of More Perfect podcast (sort of the Radiolab about Supreme Court cases)!
I downloaded it the other day, haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Jag wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:43 am Mr. Fed is on the latest podcast of More Perfect podcast (sort of the Radiolab about Supreme Court cases)!
I downloaded it the other day, haven't gotten around to listening to it yet.
Same situation here. I'm still working through the Citizen's United episode.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Make no Law is great. I need more.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

My worlds are colliding now. Just listened to the interview on the Make Me Smart podcast. Kai interviews Mr. Fed in the 2nd half of the episode.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:49 am My worlds are colliding now. Just listened to the interview on the Make Me Smart podcast. Kai interviews Mr. Fed in the 2nd half of the episode.
Was the interview primarily about Dungeons & Dragons or the Civilization series?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Old school party based CRPGs.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

If you listen to the Make No Law podcast (I don't) it was probably repeat info. It was about 1st Amendment rights of students in light of the recent walk outs.
I hadn't realized until now just how famous our Mr. Fed was/is.

I'd also listen to a old school party based CRPG podcast if anyone has one to recommend.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Archinerd wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm If you listen to the Make No Law podcast (I don't) it was probably repeat info.
It's very good so far. Listened to all the episodes. It's like having Mr. Fed as my co-pilot.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

On the origin of "Mr. Fed."
Spoiler:
Popehat wrote:"MR. FED, HOW EXACTLY DID THIS WORK? THIS FAKE GENITALIA?"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

AWS260 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:12 pm On the origin of "Mr. Fed."
Spoiler:
Popehat wrote:"MR. FED, HOW EXACTLY DID THIS WORK? THIS FAKE GENITALIA?"
This twitter thread is awesome!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mr Fed posted on the Michael Cohen raid on Popehat today, and teh interwebs broke popehat...

Holman

Post by Holman »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm Mr Fed posted on the Michael Cohen raid on Popehat today, and teh interwebs broke popehat...
Twitter to the rescue:

link
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm Mr Fed posted on the Michael Cohen raid on Popehat today, and teh interwebs broke popehat...
Twitter to the rescue:

link
Up at Reason now:
the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (widely regarded within itself as being the most important and prestigious U.S. Attorney's Office in the country) secured the search warrants for the FBI, based on a referral from Robert Mueller's office. Assuming this report is correct, that means that a very mainstream U.S. Attorney's Office—not just Special Counsel Robert Mueller's office—thought that there was enough for a search warrant here.

2. Moreover, it's not just that the office thought that there was enough for a search warrant. They thought there was enough for a search warrant of an attorney's office for that attorney's client communications. That's a very fraught and extraordinary move that requires multiple levels of authorization within the Department of Justice. The U.S. Attorney's Manual (USAM)—at Section 9-13.320—contains the relevant policies and procedures. The highlights:

The feds are only supposed to raid a law firm if less intrusive measures won't work. As the USAM puts it:

In order to avoid impinging on valid attorney-client relationships, prosecutors are expected to take the least intrusive approach consistent with vigorous and effective law enforcement when evidence is sought from an attorney actively engaged in the practice of law. Consideration should be given to obtaining information from other sources or through the use of a subpoena, unless such efforts could compromise the criminal investigation or prosecution, or could result in the obstruction or destruction of evidence, or would otherwise be ineffective.

Such a search requires high-level approval. The USAM requires such a search warrant to be approved by the U.S. Attorney—the head of the office, a presidential appointee—and requires "consultation" with the Criminal Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. This is not a couple of rogue AUSAs sneaking in a warrant.

Such a search requires an elaborate review process. The basic rule is that the government may not deliberately seize, or review, attorney-client communications. The USAM—and relevant caselaw—therefore require the feds to set up a review process.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Arousing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (widely regarded within itself as being the most important and prestigious U.S. Attorney's Office in the country)
I just love that line.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:22 am
the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York (widely regarded within itself as being the most important and prestigious U.S. Attorney's Office in the country)
I just love that line.
Yeah, they're throwing some subtle shade there. :lol:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch