The most dangerous hate speech you never heard

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The most dangerous hate speech you never heard

Post by Zarathud »

Kurth wrote:
Zarathud wrote:But Germany puts a hole in the arguments of those insisting on the broadest interpretation of the First Amendment as necessary for democracy.
How is that? Not sure what you mean by "the broadest interpretation of the First Amendment," but I have a huge problem with the notion that stifling speech - even undesirable or repugnant speech - can ever be consistent with preventing the rise of oppressive government.
Germany isn't an oppressive government. Which is my point.

Sure, the ACLU has stood for letting Nazis speak in situations where it is offensive. Skokie has a significant Jewish population and is in the Chicago area. The Nazis marched there to intimidate and harass. Talking to people who lived there at the time changed my perspective on it.

The belief that free speech must never be limited -- and that we have an obligation as citizens to listen to repugnant speech -- has been oversold. The idea that "no speech is really safe" is propaganda that had no reality in the post-internet era. There is no government censorship going on at the university -- or at least not enough to defend.

What most offends me about these tales of "censorship" is that the speakers have other platforms to speak. But the speech on those platforms is used to wallow in self-entitlement rather than persuading others about what is right.

But, you know, that's just my opinion, man.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Zarathud wrote:
Kurth wrote:
Zarathud wrote:But Germany puts a hole in the arguments of those insisting on the broadest interpretation of the First Amendment as necessary for democracy.
How is that? Not sure what you mean by "the broadest interpretation of the First Amendment," but I have a huge problem with the notion that stifling speech - even undesirable or repugnant speech - can ever be consistent with preventing the rise of oppressive government.
Germany isn't an oppressive government. Which is my point.

Sure, the ACLU has stood for letting Nazis speak in situations where it is offensive. Skokie has a significant Jewish population and is in the Chicago area. The Nazis marched there to intimidate and harass. Talking to people who lived there at the time changed my perspective on it.

The belief that free speech must never be limited -- and that we have an obligation as citizens to listen to repugnant speech -- has been oversold. The idea that "no speech is really safe" is propaganda that had no reality in the post-internet era. There is no government censorship going on at the university -- or at least not enough to defend.

What most offends me about these tales of "censorship" is that the speakers have other platforms to speak. But the speech on those platforms is used to wallow in self-entitlement rather than persuading others about what is right.

But, you know, that's just my opinion, man.
I hear what you're saying, and I think I get where you're coming from. I just wholeheartedly disagree with it.

And, to be clear, I'm not a crazy free speech absolutist. Neither I nor the ACLU embraces the belief that "free speech must never be limited." There are all kinds of time and place limits on speech that make perfect sense. The problem comes about when government starts making content based determinations on speech.

Also, as many have already noted, no one is suggesting that we, as citizens, have to listen to repugnant speech. No one is suggesting that listening to a bunch of white supremacists with torches is going to provide an interesting and valuable new perspective on an issue! A perfectly reasonable -- but not the only -- response to that kind of speech is to turn our backs and say hell no, we're not listening to the shit you're peddling.

[not talking about Nazis here]Regarding university speech and whether first amendment issues are truly implicated when universities or student bodies shut down invited speakers, I think there are some open questions and some grey areas. In my opinion, our universities today and a very large segment of our college students have become cowards. It's embarrassing to me the degree to which they go to shield themselves from points of view that don't align with their own. I came from a pretty rural and very conservative PA town and went to a very small and VERY liberal arts college near Philadelphia. Because my parents are pretty open-minded people, I didn't show up at college with many hardcore conservative ideas, but I wasn't exactly liberal, and I certainly didn't fit into the mainstream of thought on campus at the time in the early 1990s. I was especially behind -- mostly from ignorance -- on issues regarding women's rights and gay rights. But through exposure to different views on those subjects from fellow students and from some really good speakers different student groups brought to campus, my thoughts quickly evolved and became much more progressive. At the same time, the small contingent of college conservatives also brought a number of conservative speakers to campus with views that were, at times, antithetical to the deeply held beliefs of many of the students. Back then, those speakers were criticized and their ideas were challenged, but no one sought to shut them down because (1) we all knew that protecting their ability to be heard was directly linked to protecting our ability to be heard; and (2) we all knew that hearing an opposing viewpoint, even one we absolutely disagreed with or found offensive, was good for us on some level. I'm afraid that this is just not happening on today's campuses. [/not talking about Nazis here]

Finally, on the issue of "other platforms" and THE INTERNET!!!, I think it's a dangerous path and a red herring. Again, time and place restrictions may be fine when they aren't content based, and the availability of other platforms can come into play when assessing how restrictive a free speech limitation is, but that's not really the issue here. We're talking about whether content based limitations are appropriate.

And the notion that the Internet is always an available option is wrong. As already pointed out, the Internet is run by private companies that can easily boot your ass off if they don't like what you're saying (or if enough of their paying customers don't like what you're saying). In fact, as we slide away from the notion that the Internet should be run like a public utility, the idea of the Internet as a bastion for free speech is being severely undermined. In fact, unfortunately, I may need to start considering a change to my sig.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

Guys, I've been enjoying the debate (especially in this thread), but am still resolved to lurking except for this PSA.

You have to take extreme measures to be completely 'off the grid' on the internet, but you can take some simple measures to better protect your privacy. I was naive to believe the certain internet-related companies wouldn't consider using their platform in a political manner. As I said -- I was naive and should have seen it coming. My suggestions are:

Consider a simple VPN and consider a privacy-based personal e-mail service such as protonmail.com. They offer both for a small fee (or there is a free e-mail option). Full disclosure, I use separate services for these. Whatever service you might consider, do some research to see if they have cooperated with governments in the past. Some say they are about privacy (*cough* hushmail), but it doesn't do you much good if they are actively collaborating with authorities.

Consider changing your search engine from mainstream to something like duckduckgo.com. I know we have all developed skills in using these other engines, but I think you will find that this is a viable alternative.

Consider using a privacy-friendly browser, such as Firefox. There are a plethora of extensions to assist in privacy as well as make your life easier. If you want specific recommendations send me a PM.

Now back to my regularly-scheduled lurking.
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Rip

Post by Rip »

Stay strong brother.

If there is one freedom as much if not more in peril than free speech it is privacy.

Don't just assume it is being diligently protected, be vigilant in protecting it yourself.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Smutly wrote: Consider using a privacy-friendly browser, such as Firefox
the mass exodus to Chrome over the last few years pains me...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started using Brave. It's not quite there yet, but they're working towards it.
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Antifa: Guardians against fascism or lawless thrill-seekers?
Few Americans had heard of the militant anti-fascists before violence in Berkeley and Charlottesville last month, and hidden behind masks they remain mysterious. But interviews with a dozen activists show they come from a variety of backgrounds, united mainly by the belief that free speech is secondary to squashing fascism before it takes root.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Max Peck wrote:Antifa: Guardians against fascism or lawless thrill-seekers?
Few Americans had heard of the militant anti-fascists before violence in Berkeley and Charlottesville last month, and hidden behind masks they remain mysterious. But interviews with a dozen activists show they come from a variety of backgrounds, united mainly by the belief that free speech is secondary to squashing fascism before it takes root.
Great read. Thanks for posting. This quote in particular got me:
What unites them is the belief that free speech is secondary to squashing fascism before it takes root in the United States.

“If everyone is punching a Nazi, it’s eventually going to create a mass militant movement based around anti-fascist,” Hines said. “That hopefully will be enough to stop them from gaining power.”
WTF?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kurth wrote:This quote in particular got me:
What unites them is the belief that free speech is secondary to squashing fascism before it takes root in the United States.

“If everyone is punching a Nazi, it’s eventually going to create a mass militant movement based around anti-fascist,” Hines said. “That hopefully will be enough to stop them from gaining power.”
WTF?
It's as if they read 1984, and saw it as a handbook:

FREEDOM IS FASCISM. OPPRESSION IS PEACE.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Kurth wrote:This quote in particular got me:

WTF?
It's as if they read 1984, and saw it as a handbook:

FREEDOM IS FASCISM. OPPRESSION IS PEACE.
They're anarchists, not totalitarians.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Anonymous Bosch

Max Peck wrote:They're anarchists, not totalitarians.
Regardless of their purported ideology, their actions speak for themselves; the use of thuggish violence as a means to oppress the speech of opponents is an undeniably autocratic and totalitarian tactic.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Regardless of their purported ideology, their actions speak for themselves; the use of thuggish violence as a means to oppress the speech of opponents is an undeniably autocratic and totalitarian tactic.
Fighting fascism with fascism: What could possibly be wrong with that?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Anarchism and totalitarianism are literally polar opposites. If you're going to denounce black bloc antifa tactics as thuggery I won't gainsay you, but at least find some labels that actually apply instead of tossing out random scary-sounding words. :)

Anonymous Bosch

Max Peck wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Anarchism and totalitarianism are literally polar opposites. If you're going to denounce black bloc antifa tactics as thuggery I won't gainsay you, but at least find some labels that actually apply instead of tossing out random scary-sounding words. :)
I wasn't trying to suggest they have any sincere desire to establish a totalitarian state, but in describing the nature of their favoured tactic (i.e. the use of violence and intimidation as a means to control and suppress oppositional speech), the adjective fits. The dictionary definition makes this fairly self-explanatory:
CollinsDictionary.com wrote:totalitarian

adjective
A totalitarian political system is one in which there is only one political party which controls everything and does not allow any opposition parties.

[disapproval]
Totalitarians are people who support totalitarian political ideas and systems.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

But anarchists don't want to control anything. That's like saying they want to control banking when they burn down a bank.
Anonymous Bosch

GreenGoo wrote:But anarchists don't want to control anything.
Actions speak louder than words.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Totalitarians do not own a monopoly on thuggery.

Radical leftists have been around for decades. If you're making a habit of protesting police brutality and nazis, it's not a great leap of logic to come prepared for violence.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
What does that mean? They're all secret capitalists?

Max just wants you to use the right words, and given the nature of the criticism, I think he's right. It's not like calling a spade a spade turns an anarchist into a force for good.

All throughout Drumpf's campaign he was being called a fascist. I did it. Everyone did it. We were wrong. I stopped doing it.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote:Totalitarians do not own a monopoly on thuggery.

Radical leftists have been around for decades. If you're making a habit of protesting police brutality and nazis, it's not a great leap of logic to come prepared for violence.
Prepared for violence != initiating violence.

One makes you wise the other just makes you a common criminal.
Anonymous Bosch

GreenGoo wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:
What does that mean?
Robert Tracinski of The Federalist:
Here’s another scene of Antifa attacking an “apparent alt-righter.”

Notice the black man rushing in to cover the body of the man being beaten on the ground, protecting him from Antifa—which undermines the whole narrative about how they’re protecting black people from racists.

Some of us have long warned that college campuses are becoming like one-party dictatorships, intolerant of any opinions or culture the Left oopposes. But up to now, this cloying monoculture has largely been accepted and enforced through voluntary means. They chose conformity. Now the universities are becoming literal pockets of totalitarian rule—zones in which those with dissenting political opinions face the prospect of being beaten by an angry mob.

Actually, it’s more anarchic than that. The Antifa mobs weren’t stopping people to interrogate them about their political opinions. In one video a middle-aged man and his college-aged son are being attacked, and he starts by asking, in a bewildered tone, “What are you guys beating us up for?” The only answer he gets is a fist in the face, and that’s the only answer any of us are liable to get when Antifa comes for us.

That’s what gives Antifa the genuine stamp of a totalitarian movement. They have gone from attacking “fascists” to attacking anyone who is not them, anyone who is not a member of the party.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The gentlemen who rushed in to cover the victim is a public radio host named Al Letson. He was on NPR recently discussing what happened.

Suffice it to say, when even one of the folks you're supposedly fighting for becomes one of your victims, you've stopped being anything but criminals. Thankfully they're a very small minority among those who show up to protest peacefully (albeit very loudly).
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Being a right-wing talking point doesn't make something that's blatantly paradoxical any less oxymoronic. :)

Also, I'm shocked that someone who went looking for a fight actually managed to find one.
A man who was reportedly walking around downtown Seattle instigating fights while wearing a swastika armband was punched in the jaw and knocked unconscious by a passer-by Sunday afternoon.

The incident was captured on video and posted on the Reddit website.

Police said they were notified of the man's activities at around 4 p.m. They found him about five minutes later lying on the sidewalk near 3rd Avenue and Pine Street, said Jonah Spangenthal-Lee of the Seattle police.

The man admitted to police he had been struck but declined to discuss the incident any further. He then removed his armband and walked away from the scene, Spangenthal-Lee said.

No witnesses were found to make a report about the incident.

The video posted to Reddit shows the man with the armband talking to someone wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and a white ballcap. The man in the sweatshirt then punches the man with the armband in the jaw, knocking him out cold.

Bystanders can be heard saying, "Whoa - yeah!" before scattering and leaving the scene.

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

also in Seattle a few days ago i saw a guy wearing a t-shirt for an old white supremecist skinhead band (Skrewdriver). i have never seen anyone so brazen as to attempt such a thing before.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

are you sure he wasn't being ironic? hipsters love ironic.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:Being a right-wing talking point doesn't make something that's blatantly paradoxical any less oxymoronic. :)
To paraphrase Max, you (AB) and your quoted material have failed to convince me.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Note the location of the antifa account:

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Rip

Post by Rip »

Coming Soon: The Vladivostok Vikings.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

hepcat wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am Also, Milo Yiannopoulos whole schtick is that he WANTS liberals to hate him. He WANTS them to show up at his university appearances and scream bloody murder outside the venue. He bills himself as "the most fabulous supervillain on the internet". I don't think we should be holding him up as a victim considering that he relies (and encourages) controversy and protest in order to sell his books and web store memorabilia.
'Unclear, unfunny, delete': editor's notes on Milo Yiannopoulos book revealed
In July, Yiannopoulos set out to sue Simon & Schuster for $10m for breach of contract. As part of the case, Simon & Schuster have submitted documents that reveal the problems they had with the book. Among other criticisms, the publisher’s notes say Yiannopoulos needed a “stronger argument against feminism than saying that they are ugly and sexless and have cats” and that another chapter needs “a better central thesis than the notion that gay people should go back in the closet”.

In addition to the documents, a full copy of an early manuscript of the book, complete with the Simon & Schuster editor Mitchell Ivers’s notes, is available to download from the New York state courts’ website.
Thankfully the internet is here to save us from having to read the book. Multiple people have tweeted the publisher notes.

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow