Can we stop with the "Bro" talk?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kurth

Can we stop with the "Bro" talk?

Post by Kurth »

I'm tired of all the references to "Bros." It seems like really sexist, unnecessary bullshit. I usually enjoy reading the stuff I get from the Daily Beast, but this article this morning kind of pissed me off:

SCHADEN-FRAT
It’s Been a Bad Week for Bros
Shkreli’s going to jail. The bodega bros had to apologize for their stupid startup. And Speaker Bro Paul Ryan is playing cleanup while Trump cavorts with Dems.

A representative quote:
The year 2017 giveth and the year 2017 taketh away. And for those who like seeing bros get their due, the last 24 hours have giveth, and giveth, and giveth.
For bros, it taketh. Bros from the halls of Congress to the Valley of Silicon suffered defeats. It was the worst day for bros in quite some time.

. . .

Generally speaking, things aren’t great. And generally speaking, taking joy in others’ misfortune is an ugly feeling. But in these hamster-on-adderall times, we must take wins where we find them and cherish them like a bro cherishes the poster of his favorite sports stadium, the one that hangs over his bedroom dresser. The last 24 hours were kind of funny, if bro failure is funny. Who knows what joys or horrors the next 24 will bring.
I know that the use of "bro" is really shorthand for insensitive, entitled, privileged, a-hole, but it puts undue focus on the fact that they're men, and I think it's stupid. Considering differences in background, education, career, family, notoriety and probably a shit-ton of other stuff I have no idea about, Shkreli, the founders of Bodega, and Paul Ryan are a pretty heterogenous grouping of people. Moreover, Shkreli is pretty much a villain, and even if you don't like the bodega founders (not sure) or Paul Ryan (I don't), they don't even approach the same level of entitled a-hole as Shkreli. It seems like the only real thing these guys have in common is that they are guys. Grouping them under one derogatory "bro" label that focuses on their gender is not cool, and it seems about as far away from a truly progressive mindset as you could get.

Between this and the "Bodega" thing, I feel like a freaking cultural warrior this morning. This is annoying.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Moliere

Re: Can we stop with the "Bro" talk?

Post by Moliere »

Bro, relax and have a brewski.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Congratulations, now you know what it must have felt like for "girls" for...well...forever.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Quasi-related: I recently transferred from the SEC's Home Office (official acronym: HO), to the Boston Regional Office (official acronym: BRO).

So I officially put BRO before HO.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I tend to agree but I'm of two minds - there is the part of me who sees it as a ridiculous umbrella that lumps in ridiculous things such as 'toxic masculinity'. And I hear about 'toxic masculinity' nearly every day. I think it is complete horseshit and the bros thing fits in nicely there.

On the other hand I get the backlash to some extent. There is more of a focus on gender inequality nowadays and some of it is very legitimate. I'm dealing with it at work with a person who reports to me. She is one of the few females on a project and I feel like she is being pigeonholed into administrative roles in a very cliche way. Unfortunately I'm not there to give her the support she needs. Still I've seen it pervasively throughout my career in IT. So I get where it comes from but I don't know if labeling everyone bros and throwing around anti-male stereotypes is helpful. It seems to be just breeding resentment instead of legitimate understanding.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Anyway, I agree that the article (and people in general) tend to overuse the term "bro". The whole "Bernie Bros" thing was (and is) annoying, even though I'm not a huge fan of Bernie (and especially not his more zealous followers).

That said...good luck getting people not to overuse and misapply terms, ultimately running them into the ground, bro.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kurth wrote:It seems like the only real thing these guys have in common is that they are guys. Grouping them under one derogatory "bro" label that focuses on their gender is not cool, and it seems about as far away from a truly progressive mindset as you could get.
I want to be on your side with this, I really do.

My problem with it is that this has been going on for like what? A year? And the reaction is this? The other gender has been dealing with this shit for literally ever. And guys can't even take one year of unfair gender stereotyping?!

This strikes me in the vein of those who have had once incident in their life where their race/color was held against them (let's say, on college admissions or something), and they are completely horrified with the injustice of it all - without any regard (or empathy) for the other side of the coin where people have had to deal with dozens of incidents per week, for hundreds of years (or more).

If I could live in a world where every sort of douchenozzle wasn't grouped into the same general "bro" umbrella, I'd be A-OK with that. But I sure as shit am not going to bemoan the fact that men are suddenly being oppressed. Get back to me in 350 years though, as I might have a different answer if it's still going on. ;)

NOTE: I don't think I've spent a single second thinking about the plight of unfairly labeled "Bros" until this thread.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

hepcat wrote:Congratulations, now you know what it must have felt like for "girls" for...well...forever.
Really? "Well, now you know what it feels like." This is a very predictable and thoughtless response.

Also, your "girls" comment is entirely off the mark. For ages, people used "girls" in a freighted way that made women feel like they were less than men. That's not the same thing as the "bro" talk, which is less about talking down to men and more about applying a pejorative, over-inclusive label focused mainly on the fact that they are men.

And, in any event, both are wrong. The fact that one happened before doesn't mean the other should get a free pass now.

My annoyance with the "bro" talk is not coming from the perspective of someone suffering from "oppressed white man" syndrome. I don't feel bad for all the cis-gendered, white dudes out there who are now suffering from the evils of political correctness, affirmative action and "bro" bashing. I just think the "bro" talk is stupid and a really bad look for people that believe they are progressive.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I realize that I'm now going to be addressed as Bro on this forum from here until the end of days. Shit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Side note: This week was the first time in my life I have heard the term "bodega". All the fuss over this whole thing made absolutely no sense to me.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's Bro-gate!
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kurth wrote:I realize that I'm now going to be addressed as Bro on this forum from here until the end of days. Shit.
In terms of internet fame, this doesn't seem so bad. But I feel for ya. :)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote:I don't feel bad for all the cis-gendered, white dudes out there who are now suffering from the evils of political correctness, affirmative action and "bro" bashing. I just think the "bro" talk is stupid and a really bad look for people that believe they are progressive.
Unfortunately this segment is a part of why we suffer from the Mangerine. We ignore their suffering at our own peril. Righteous or not they out there and they are very angry.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote:I don't feel bad for all the cis-gendered, white dudes out there who are now suffering from the evils of political correctness, affirmative action and "bro" bashing. I just think the "bro" talk is stupid and a really bad look for people that believe they are progressive.
Unfortunately this segment is a part of why we suffer from the Mangerine. We ignore their suffering at our own peril. Righteous or not they out there and they are very angry.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unfortunately this segment is a part of why we suffer from the Mangerine. We ignore their suffering at our own peril. Righteous or not they are out there and they are very angry.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

stessier wrote:
Kurth wrote:I realize that I'm now going to be addressed as Bro on this forum from here until the end of days. Shit.
In terms of internet fame, this doesn't seem so bad. But I feel for ya, Bro. :)
FTFY
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This thread is a reminder of why Arya is my hero and favorite protagonist in contemporary story telling.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Moliere wrote:
stessier wrote:
FTFY
It was funnier my way where everyone put it in for themselves. ;)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Stop being a pussy and man up.

Seriously though, is this the first derogatory label focused on gender that has bothered you enough to start a thread?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Kurth wrote:I know that the use of "bro" is really shorthand for insensitive, entitled, privileged, a-hole, but it puts undue focus on the fact that they're men, and I think it's stupid.
I think it's due focus.

Of course, I see Bro and think Business Risk Office, but that might just be me and my work...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I see Bro and think Ringling.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yawn.

We each get to have things that annoy us, personally. This isn't even on the list, yet.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:
stessier wrote:
mortoned
mortoned.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

A little stereotyping is a small price to pay for some pretty iconic memes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:
Unfortunately this segment is a part of why we suffer from the Mangerine. We ignore their suffering at our own peril. Righteous or not they are out there and they are very angry.
Bro! Ease up on the triple posting.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:Side note: This week was the first time in my life I have heard the term "bodega". All the fuss over this whole thing made absolutely no sense to me.
I don't think that there are many bodegas in Utah, brah.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote:
Skinypupy wrote:Side note: This week was the first time in my life I have heard the term "bodega". All the fuss over this whole thing made absolutely no sense to me.
I don't think that there are many bodegas in Utah, brah.
Yeah but wudabout the Beach Boys song?

Previous to this thread I thought a Bodega was the little tent they set up around pools in warm climate parties at mansions. I guess there aren't too many here either. :o
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I never got the "Bernie Bro" moniker, actually. My cultural image of "Bro" and "Bernie Sanders supporter" are at odds for whatever reason.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kurth wrote: I just think the "bro" talk is stupid and a really bad look for people that believe they are progressive.
I agree, but it's just not all that important and there's not much really to do about it. People will eventually move on and start wildly overusing and misapplying a different term within a few months or so.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kurth wrote:
hepcat wrote:Congratulations, now you know what it must have felt like for "girls" for...well...forever.
Really? "Well, now you know what it feels like." This is a very predictable and thoughtless response.
That wasn't an insult. I was simply stating that being denigrated or trivialized for your sex has been a common factor for women for ages.

You have a tendency to lash out angrily at anyone who disagrees with you, I've noticed. I've defended you in the past as I thought you were just misunderstood at times. Now I realize I was wrong to do so.
Kurth wrote:I realize that I'm now going to be addressed as Bro on this forum from here until the end of days.
Maybe you'll find some small comfort in the knowledge that that's not exactly the word I would use for you at this moment...
He won. Period.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Broflake? Is that the word?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote:Broflake? Is that the word?
It has 12 syllables and rhymes with borborygmi
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This, too, shall pass. Pop culture is always inventing new words to annoy us and mocking those who cling to old ones.

The one that currently grinds my gears is "bae."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just recently heard that one...bro.

and yeah, not a fan either. add another damn b, you lazy punk!

that's it...i'm starting a thread.
He won. Period.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kraken wrote:This, too, shall pass. Pop culture is always inventing new words to annoy us and mocking those who cling to old ones.

Oooohhh, a new one. What does that one mean?

I remember when I first heard the "D" thing. It was here on OO and it was a cartoon about a kid being asked for the "D" drive and getting all sweaty about it.

First, I didn't understand it. Second, when I did understand it, I thought it might be the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.

Third, I'm getting crotchety in my old age, and I like it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Teen Titan's Go will learn ya!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U6xWdB2K6w
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Oooohhh, a new one. What does that one mean?
Contraction of "babe", I think. Don't ask me why.

Anyone else remember POSSLQ? How about DINKs?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm such a dork. I read POSSLQ as PL/SQL.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

How Wall Street bro talk keeps women down.

WHEN I was a 27-year-old bond trader at Bank of America, I went to dinner with a managing director and a high-profile client, both men, at a Brazilian all-you-can-eat meat restaurant in Manhattan. The waitress came by to see if we wanted another round of drinks. When she was out of earshot, the client said, “I’d like to bend her over the table, give her some meat.”
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT