Trump's Full Court Press on Tax Reform

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on Tax Reform

Post by noxiousdog »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:05 pm I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put this here, healthcare reform, Trump, economic turmoil, employment, or investor enclave thread

http://www.newsweek.com/alzheimers-park ... rch-780163

I chose here because tax reform and the speculation is what has my 401k up nearly 30% over the last 12 months and I afraid both to put more money in and to not put more money in.
Still, Pfizer isn’t hurting for money. The company is set to win big from the tax overhaul, but they’re passing the money on to investors instead of funding research and development. The company plans to spend about $10 billion buying back shares of its own stock, adding to the $6.4 billion it previously greenlit. It will also increase its dividend rate by six percent to 34 cents per share. That money could fund multiple clinical trials.
That's a bit of irresponsible reporting and is one of the biggest issues I have with media that either doesn't understand business or doesn't want to.

They spend much of the article explaining how much is spent treating Alzheimers, how many people have it, and how many people it kills. Then they try to say Pfizer is spending money on stock buybacks instead of research.

I can 100% guarantee that with a market that big, Pfizer would LOVE to have an Alzheimer's drug, but instead they haven't had enough promising research to justify the investment. Associating the tax cut to a reduction in a specific type of research is poor reporting.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I agree with ND in the sense that it’s not an either or proposition. Pfizer isn’t being faced with the choice between paying off investors or curing Alzheimer’s.

That said, it points out the farce that this tax cut was about jobs. This tax cut was about enriching investors, and that’s it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's why it put here and not in the health care thread and didn't quote the stuff on Altzheimer's

The money shot was in the increased dividends and stock buybacks, which corresponds with the way my portfolio is looking.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

There is plenty of promising research but it's in early stages. Too bad we can't count on Trump research initiatives.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

GOP Leaders Tell Fiscal Hawks To Fly Away, No Budget This Year
Remember former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's "full flop" on the question of needing a filibuster-proof majority to confirm judicial nominees? Or that golden moment right after the contested 2000 election where the Republicans suddenly championed federal sovereignty and the Democrats supported state's rights in attempts to win Bush v. Gore? You get the idea: The Dems and the GOP pretend to have principles but they abandon them the minute they sniff out a political opportunity.
We have, of course, seen this movie before. Republicans controlled the House, Senate, and White House under the first several years of George W. Bush and, despite the passage of tax cuts and oh-so-sincere promises to reduce spending, they absolutely kicked out the jams on outlays like nobody's business. The chart above and to the right shows total federal outlays in nominal dollars. If you believe that the real cost of government is what it spends, it's hard to argue that the GOP is in any way the party of small government. At best, they are the party of small-government rhetoric. And even there, don't get them started on issues such as immigration, gay marriage, and drug legalization.

None of this lets the Democrats off the hook, by the way. As Matt Welch refused to forget, Barack Obama campaigned on enacting "a net spending cut" in which "every dollar that I've proposed, I've proposed an additional cut so that it matches." When the Dems briefly won back control of the House, Speaker Nancy Pelosi declared that her party would cut spending. They didn't even try, of course, and who can blame him? When you get to funnel spending to your favored constituents, suddenly it's a real Sophie's choice to cut even the tiniest, most useless program. But just as our elected leaders have veered into open nihilism when it comes to principles, so too have they long been incapable of passing budgets in the very years that such bills are supposed to cover.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
malchior

Post by malchior »

Of course there is no budget. Their tax cut makes it basically impossible. Well impossible without completely exposing the scam.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This should make Trump even more insufferable.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I don't necessarily think they're wrong here, but goddammit,

From Debbie Wasserman Shultz: "Frankly, if you look at the bonuses, which I haven't heard of a corporate bonus more than $1,000 so far—which by the way is taxed, so it's not $1,000," Schultz said. "And then you spread $1,000 over the course of a year—to think of about how much that is—of course they get it all at once. But I'm not sure that $1,000—which is taxed, taxable—goes very far for almost anyone."

From Nancy Pelosi: "There's a cartoon that I just love," Pelosi said. "There's a little mouse trap who's got a little piece of cheese on there, and there's a mouse about to take it and that's called the middle class … And around it are fat cats," or big businesses.

"And that’s the thing," Pelosi continued. "You get this little thing and we get this big bonanza. You get the crumb, we get the banquet."
:grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

They may need to message it better, but it's ultimately true. If you get a bonus, it's a one-time thing. If you get a raise, then you get that additional money every year (plus you increase the basis number for ongoing years of your annual raise). Corporations are going to get the benefit of the tax break every year, but employees are only seeing the benefit of it once. I'm fairly certain my company is going to keep the same crappy raise percentages we've had for a while now even though we were the poster company for the $1000 bonuses.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

ImLawBoy wrote:They may need to message it better, but it's ultimately true. If you get a bonus, it's a one-time thing. If you get a raise, then you get that additional money every year (plus you increase the basis number for ongoing years of your annual raise). Corporations are going to get the benefit of the tax break every year, but employees are only seeing the benefit of it once. I'm fairly certain my company is going to keep the same crappy raise percentages we've had for a while now even though we were the poster company for the $1000 bonuses.
And the cheese gets even smaller in a couple of years when those tax breaks for working Americans expire.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$1000 bonus works out to ~$0.50/hour for a year’s wages for a FT employee.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 pm They may need to message it better, but it's ultimately true. If you get a bonus, it's a one-time thing. If you get a raise, then you get that additional money every year (plus you increase the basis number for ongoing years of your annual raise). Corporations are going to get the benefit of the tax break every year, but employees are only seeing the benefit of it once. I'm fairly certain my company is going to keep the same crappy raise percentages we've had for a while now even though we were the poster company for the $1000 bonuses.
Oh, I don't disagree with them much. I think we've all been or are in a spot where an extra $1,000 makes a major difference in our quality of life. It's not the principle of what they said, but I guarantee that the way they said it will be replayed and used against them over and over and over again.

Something like: "We're glad that companies have chosen to reward some middle-class Americans with an immediate bonus. However, that bonus will be quickly offset by stagnant wages, inflation, and additional costs they will have have to pay for insurance." sounds so much better than "$1,000? That amount of money only matters to you peasants."
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 pm They may need to message it better, but it's ultimately true. If you get a bonus, it's a one-time thing. If you get a raise, then you get that additional money every year (plus you increase the basis number for ongoing years of your annual raise). Corporations are going to get the benefit of the tax break every year, but employees are only seeing the benefit of it once. I'm fairly certain my company is going to keep the same crappy raise percentages we've had for a while now even though we were the poster company for the $1000 bonuses.
Oh, I don't disagree with them much. I think we've all been or are in a spot where an extra $1,000 makes a major difference in our quality of life. It's not the principle of what they said, but I guarantee that the way they said it will be replayed and used against them over and over and over again.

Something like: "We're glad that companies have chosen to reward some middle-class Americans with an immediate bonus. However, that bonus will be quickly offset by stagnant wages, inflation, and additional costs they will have have to pay for insurance." sounds so much better than "$1,000? That amount of money only matters to you peasants."
Yeah, but the other thing you have to remember is that sensible things that Pelosi and the like say don't get quoted and replayed ad infinitum. So like, if she says 999 eminently reasonable things and 1 thing that sounds crazy / out-of-touch (out of context), it's the last thing that gets replayed (especially by political opponents). And it's not really possible to regularly talk about things without saying at least one thing that sounds weird out of context.
Black Lives Matter.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 am
Yeah, but the other thing you have to remember is that sensible things that Pelosi and the like say don't get quoted and replayed ad infinitum. So like, if she says 999 eminently reasonable things and 1 thing that sounds crazy / out-of-touch (out of context), it's the last thing that gets replayed (especially by political opponents). And it's not really possible to regularly talk about things without saying at least one thing that sounds weird out of context.
Can you imagine if this were true of Trump? He'd have to talk nonstop just to make up for the crazy. Are there even enough hours?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:52 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:42 am
Can you imagine if this were true of Trump? He'd have to talk nonstop just to make up for the crazy. Are there even enough hours?
Trump really is a giant DDOS crazy attack on the press.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Just finished a tax conference. Some comments:
* Who could imagine these changes? But they did it anyway, and it come out of nowhere.
* The statute doesn't match what they said they were doing.
* If you need the "mother of all" tax corrections bills, you can't give Schumer and Pelosi nothing in return. They'll ask for the State and Local Tax deductions back. The Republicans can't give that back, so it's not getting fixed. And that was before they were treated badly.
* The IRS has to rewrite every tax form. It's a huge project that they then have to undo in 2025 if not in 2020. Does anyone think they can do a good job?

Darkest timeline.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

They certainly failed on being able to do your taxes on a postcard.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:34 pm They certainly failed on being able to do your taxes on a postcard.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

It looks like the reform is on my check and it's going to be about a difference of 4% in my take home pay. I have no idea what it will mean come tax time though.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Actually, yeah, I just looked at my pay statements, and the first one of this year is about $40 less than all the ones from last year.

But that can't be right. I was assured everyone would get a huge raise because of this bill.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Chaz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 amBut that can't be right. I was assured everyone would get a huge raise because of this bill.
For certain definitions of 'everyone.'
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Tax reform hit my most recent paycheck, too. Net pay definitely went up, but I'm curious to see how it will all play out come tax filing time in 2019.
Hodor.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:17 am
Chaz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:16 amBut that can't be right. I was assured everyone would get a huge raise because of this bill.
For certain definitions of 'everyone.'
That would be the 1% The rest of us aren't anyone, we are merely crops for which the 1% harvest for their wealth and pay taxes so they don't have to.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Hit my paycheck as well. My take home increased 2.55%. I currently claim 6 exemptions which seems like the wrong thing at this point, but I don't know what to change it to.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going to need to adjust our withholding regardless, as it looks like my wife's employer was withholding a comically low percentage of her paycheck this past year - around 6%. So, that's looking like a fun tax bill. I guess the good news is that I'd need to look at our withholding anyway in light of the GOP tax bill, so that's efficient. #ThanksTrump
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

One benefit of working for the federal government is that their payroll department knows how to follow federal income tax withholding rules. :P
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm Hit my paycheck as well. My take home increased 2.55%. I currently claim 6 exemptions which seems like the wrong thing at this point, but I don't know what to change it to.
I claim zero. Gub'ment still said I owed them money every year until I maxed my 401k. We'll see how this plays out in the wash come April next. My 4% raise could be a myth or it could be a whole lot more as someone who was already claiming the standard deduction and receiving no tax breaks beyond deferring my 401k taxes to a later date.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:43 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 pm Hit my paycheck as well. My take home increased 2.55%. I currently claim 6 exemptions which seems like the wrong thing at this point, but I don't know what to change it to.
I claim zero. Gub'ment still said I owed them money every year until I maxed my 401k. We'll see how this plays out in the wash come April next. My 4% raise could be a myth or it could be a whole lot more as someone who was already claiming the standard deduction and receiving no tax breaks beyond deferring my 401k taxes to a later date.
You need to get married and have 2 kids. ;) Or you did. Not sure what you have to do now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

possess multimillions in an investment portfolio, my guess is largely supported by real estate?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:48 pm possess multimillions in an investment portfolio, my guess is largely supported by real estate?
...which you should now be able to accomplish by Q42018 with your 4% raise. Checkmate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If my raise holds out through my returns and I don't rise to it, that 4% will advance my retirement age by almost one month a year.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 pm If my raise holds out through my returns and I don't rise to it, that 4% will advance my retirement age by almost one month a year.
Mine is already at age 162. Not sure I'd bother figuring out how much further off the new taxes are going to advance it.
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh sweet! Trump's tax reform pushed me into a new bracket and I'm now making less, :x
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 pm Oh sweet! Trump's tax reform pushed me into a new bracket and I'm now making less, :x
Trumpland thanks you for your sacrifice, citizen.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:36 pm Oh sweet! Trump's tax reform pushed me into a new bracket and I'm now making less, :x
Sorry.

Are you sure that's what it was though? Just looking at the brackets, that doesn't seem possible. You may end up paying more because of deductions (or the lack there of), but if you just pay based on the table, you'll end up paying less.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Can't tell if serious...
stessier

Post by stessier »

stessier wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:50 pm
Sorry.

Are you sure that's what it was though? Just looking at the brackets, that doesn't seem possible. You may end up paying more because of deductions (or the lack there of), but if you just pay based on the table, you'll end up paying less.

Code: Select all

NEW                                      OLD   
10% — 0 to $9,525                        10% — 0 to $9,325
12% — $9,525 to $38,700                  15% — $9,325 to $37,950
22% — $38,700 to $82,500                 25% — $37,950 to $91,900
24% — $82,500 to $157,500                28% — $91,900 to $191,650
32% — $157,500 to $200,000               33% — $191,650 to $416,700
35% — $200,000 to $500,000               35% — $416,700 to $418,400
37% — $500,000 and up                    39.6% — $418,400 and up
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

May be a false alarm. Looks like the "catch up" mechanic for my 401k is adding an additional 6000 a year to my deductions. I had to pour over my check line by line to find out what was happening. I was just looking at the direct deposit number and was annoyed to see a drop. When I referred to the tax brackets, I realized I was right on the cusp of a change and immediately assumed that was it.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks Obama!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:59 pm May be a false alarm. Looks like the "catch up" mechanic for my 401k is adding an additional 6000 a year to my deductions.
You're old, and yeah going from 18,000 to 24,500 would make a big difference in your check.