Trump's Full Court Press on Tax Reform

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on Tax Reform

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't have to worry about tax impacts when you don't file them.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Chaz wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:52 pm He doesn't have ambivalence about paying taxes
If memory serves, he has *extreme* ambivalence about paying taxes.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

"Don't ever call me again. Because the next guy is going to be oh so much more effective at screwing over the American public than you were".

What a crock.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Well let's face it, it's worth a lot more to rich donors than to the American public. This is a generational money-grab. You don't get that kind of chance too often.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
milo

Post by milo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:35 pm Well let's face it...
Pretty sure you would be facing the wrong direction for this particular maneuver.
--milo
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Naked power politics to accomplish donor payoffs. It's the exact opposite of tax reform.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

"Something"

SheldonTrio

Post by SheldonTrio »

Trump is good for me. You know people elected him as a president so more or less we should follow him.
Like President Duterte in the Philippines, Ironfist. They have similarities in running Government. Just saying. :whistle:
PLW

Post by PLW »

Did we just get our very own Russian troll bot?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

PLW wrote:Did we just get our very own Russian troll bot?
I would like to know when Danny Rand got elected for anything other than a Razzy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

PLW wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:52 pm Did we just get our very own Russian troll bot?
This could save Rip a lot of time.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

SheldonTrio wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:48 pm Trump is good for me. You know people elected him as a president so more or less we should follow him.
Like President Duterte in the Philippines, Ironfist. They have similarities in running Government. Just saying. :whistle:
Eco-Logic, is that you?
Hodor.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Is the screen name some kind of Big Bang theory reference? And this is certainly a bot or troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

We've hit the Big Time, folks!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I like it. Somebody give it a Turing test, let's see what it can do.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

What if it seems more intelligent than Rip?
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Rip

Post by Rip »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 am What if it seems more intelligent than Rip?
It would mean someone developed an AI capable of taking over the world......
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Hey Yuri, how's it going back in the motherland? Is it still the same shithole I left 27 years ago?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 am Hey Yuri, how's it going back in the motherland? Is it still the same shithole I left 27 years ago?
Make sure that he's not smooshing packages anymore, while you're at it.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rip wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 am
Zarathud wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 am What if it seems more intelligent than Rip?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump says he won't sign the tax bill if it raises taxes for the middle class.

If Trump wasn't so consistently misinformed (or stupid or inconsistent or untrustworthy), I would breathe a sigh of relief.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, can you really expect the patricians to be able to tell the difference between the various kinds of plebes?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, he probably thinks of "middle class" as people making $1 million - $3 million per year.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

He also said any healthcare bill he signed would insure everybody . He clearly has no qualms saying whatever he thinks people will like the best, even if it's not even close to the truth.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:35 pm He also said any healthcare bill he signed would insure everybody . He clearly has no qualms saying whatever he thinks people will like the best, even if it's not even close to the truth.
This exactly and totally. All the time.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 am
Or just one which doesn't pay taxes - bada-bing!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

If you haven't figured out that Trump can't be trusted on any promise he makes (even to his own party even!) then you haven't been watching :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm If you haven't figured out that Trump can't be trusted in anything
FTFY
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Remus West wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 pm
Grifman wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:52 pm If you haven't figured out that Trump can't be trusted in anything
FTFY

I trust him to lie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Senate version is being released. Unlike the weak touchy-feely House bill, this version gets rid of all SALT deductions, full stop. Stops short of full estate tax repeal, though.

Fuck you, swing district House Republicans.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Interview with Cohn on the Tax plan:
Harwood: All those strengths kind of undercut the argument that 'Oh, we have to do tax reform right now,' don't they?

Cohn: We have not had wage growth in this country. So, we've got a lot of Americans finding work, but they're finding work at stagnant wages. Really to continue going on with this recovery, this long recovery, is we have to find a way to really drive wage growth. What our tax plan is really aimed at doing is creating wage growth...

...Harwood: If you look at Joint Tax, $1 trillion in net cuts for business, $200 billion through the estate tax, and $300 billion for individuals. So, four times as much in business tax cuts and estate tax as for individuals.

Cohn: Yup. But, John, if you look at what we're doing for middle-class taxpayers, the reality is kind of simple. The median-income family in the United States, the family that earns about $60,000 in the United States, the Speaker [Paul Ryan] talked about them getting a $1,182 tax cut. That family is now paying a marginal tax rate of less than 1 percent. They're paying less than $500 of total taxes in the system. So a $60,000 earner, family of four, is paying less than $500. We have cut their taxes significantly. You can't go much further in the tax system.

Harwood: You're saying you can't give middle-class taxpayers more of a tax break than you've done?
If you're serious about wage (and job) growth - make the tax cuts dependent upon them - only give them to companies which increase base wages and hire more people.

He also conveniently forgets payroll taxes here (roughly 7.1% of income), as usual.

He also dodges all the important questions and answers "I disagree" without providing ANYTHING to back up his disagreement.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Latest update to the House plan includes this doozy:
Another revision to the House bill that Brady released Thursday appears to dramatically change the rules on what sort of political activities a tax-exempt nonprofit organization may engage in. Language that applied only to religious organizations, giving them a freer hand to speak out on political campaigns, was broadened in the new amendment to include all 501(c) (3) organizations.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:46 pm
If you're serious about wage (and job) growth - make the tax cuts dependent upon them - only give them to companies which increase base wages and hire more people.

He also conveniently forgets payroll taxes here (roughly 7.1% of income), as usual.

He also dodges all the important questions and answers "I disagree" without providing ANYTHING to back up his disagreement.
I saw him on CNBC during lunch at the gym. I assume it was the same interview. They asked him about the estate tax and whether it was a gift for guys like him and he said he didn't worry about the estate tax. Something like, "I guarantee you that I don't worry about the estate tax.". Almost with a wink and a nod. Like, "Bro, I dodged that weak sauce tax years ago....". That or he's immortal.

The Senate version just doubles the floor. Makes me think it's not really important, it's just in there to give something back. Since anyone with any sort of real money just avoids it anyway.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I just don't see how this will end well for their party. It'sjust like the healthcare. They are better off with it failing. I fully expect this to get through in some way saddly. I just hope my taxes don't skyrocket. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm
I just don't see how this will end well for their party. It'sjust like the healthcare. They are better off with it failing. I fully expect this to get through in some way saddly. I just hope my taxes don't skyrocket. :(

I feel like what we're missing here are the exact conversations between GOP leadership and donors. Politically the obvious thing to do would be to cut back the corporate tax cuts a bit - i.e. rather than going from 35% to 20%, go to 25% or 30% - and then use that money to preserve some of the more popular exemptions. That that doesn't seem to be on the table suggests that some critical donors are drawing a firm line on the corporate tax rate (or, I suppose, that Ryan / McConnell are pretty ideologically committed to that part of it).
Black Lives Matter.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Christie came out supporting the bill which will ruin NJ. I hate him almost as much as Trump and that's a pretty high bar. Seriously this will just collapse the housing market in NJ. You're talking possibly thousands off dollars a year ripped out of the hands of the middle class to give to the rich. In a time when they are making record profits. It's just so batshit insane that I can't hardly wrap my head around it all.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:33 pm
Octavious wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm

I feel like what we're missing here are the exact conversations between GOP leadership and donors. Politically the obvious thing to do would be to cut back the corporate tax cuts a bit - i.e. rather than going from 35% to 20%, go to 25% or 30% - and then use that money to preserve some of the more popular exemptions. That that doesn't seem to be on the table suggests that some critical donors are drawing a firm line on the corporate tax rate (or, I suppose, that Ryan / McConnell are pretty ideologically committed to that part of it).
Even better, only allow the lower rate for corporations who expand their US labor force (with American workers) and increase wages. Do it on a staggered scale based on the percentage increase from a baseline.