Holman

Re: Trump's Full Court Press on Tax Reform

Post by Holman »

I'm sure every effort was made.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:11 pm Everyone brace yourselves - the carried interest loophole wasn't closed (as promised) with the new tax reform. I wonder how that could have happened with all the careful planning and forethought that went into crafting this?
This week, as senior White House officials acclaimed passage of the tax overhaul in Congress, they also expressed one regret: failing to close the so-called carried interest “loophole” that benefits wealthy hedge fund managers and private equity executives. Despite Mr. Trump’s vows to eliminate a tax rule that allows some rich business leaders to pay lower tax rates than their secretaries, the president in this case was no match for the powerful lobbyists protecting the status quo.

“I don’t know what happened,” said Larry Kudlow, the conservative economist who crafted Mr. Trump’s campaign tax plan. “I don’t know how that thing survived,” he said, adding “I’m sure the lobbying was intense.”
Spoiler:
18-1™ & 2-0
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Scottish government removing tax breaks for Drumpf's golf course.
malchior

Post by malchior »

IRS explains pre-payment of property tax eligibility.

Glad I didn't run out and do this. I considered it because it'd cushion about half of the hit I'm going to take from this garbage but I had--now accurate--fears that there would still be a screw job attached. I don't know if that'll mean that towns here in NJ will give you an assessment at the window but the language about "notification" scares me off tbh. The whole issue is especially messy since Christie ordered towns to accept pre-payments. I'll avoid the chaos since it seems like a risky bet at best.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rubio is now very concerned that this bill "went too far" in helping corporations.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said in an interview published Friday that Republicans “probably went too far” cutting corporate taxes in their just-enacted overhaul of the tax code.

Rubio said he expects corporations to pay out higher dividends to shareholders and buy back shares to increase their stock price with proceeds from the bill.

“You’re going to see a lot of these multinationals buy back shares to drive up the price,” Rubio told the southwest Florida-based News-Press.

“Some of them will be forced, because they’re sitting on historic levels of cash, to pay out dividends to shareholders,” Rubio said. “That isn’t going to create dramatic economic growth.”
Gosh, I wish we had some people who actually understand how the economy works warn us that this is exactly what would happen! Oh wait...they all did.

If only there were something Rubio could have done about it, other than feigning concern then voting for the bill anyways.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So is Rubio the first of the (R) to indicate he voted for it, but maybe it wasn't a good idea? Is that the strategy now?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 pm Rubio is now very concerned that this bill "went too far" in helping corporations.
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said in an interview published Friday that Republicans “probably went too far” cutting corporate taxes in their just-enacted overhaul of the tax code.

Rubio said he expects corporations to pay out higher dividends to shareholders and buy back shares to increase their stock price with proceeds from the bill.

“You’re going to see a lot of these multinationals buy back shares to drive up the price,” Rubio told the southwest Florida-based News-Press.

“Some of them will be forced, because they’re sitting on historic levels of cash, to pay out dividends to shareholders,” Rubio said. “That isn’t going to create dramatic economic growth.”
Gosh, I wish we had some people who actually understand how the economy works warn us that this is exactly what would happen! Oh wait...they all did.

If only there were something Rubio could have done about it, other than feigning concern then voting for the bill anyways.
I have such contempt for Rubio. To think he was supposed to be basically the GOP Obama.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hey that isn't fair he totally tried to help address the balance by proposing an amendment to increase the child tax credit. This statement is definitely *not* part of a cynical strategy to survive in an increasingly blue state.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am Hey that isn't fair he totally tried to help address the balance by proposing an amendment to increase the child tax credit. This statement is definitely *not* part of a cynical strategy to survive in an increasingly blue state.
Read an article yesterday about the hundreds of thousands of displaced Puerto Rican’s settling in Florida. They’re (obviously) pissed at the administration’s handling of the hurricane disaster. This is likely a sorry attempt at CYA for this new voting block that will almost assuredly vote D.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am Hey that isn't fair he totally tried to help address the balance by proposing an amendment to increase the child tax credit. This statement is definitely *not* part of a cynical strategy to survive in an increasingly blue state.
I mean, the tax bill *is* progress for Rubio, insofar as he did a small thing, as opposed to his usual routine of doing literally nothing.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:49 pm
I have such contempt for Rubio. To think he was supposed to be basically the GOP Obama.
Yup. I remember when he was hailed as young, brilliant, and unbeatably appealing.

Rubio came to prominence during the brief window of the GOP's self-interrogation after Romney's loss, when the party thought a play for the "naturally conservative" (i.e. Catholic) Latino voting bloc might be possible. Instead, of course, 2016 arrived and the base went all-in for white nationalism and race hatred.

If Trump had somehow stuck to marketing scams and laundering Russian oligarch money, Rubio might have had a shot in 2016. Politics is a funny thing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:49 pm
Yup. I remember when he was hailed as young, brilliant, and unbeatably appealing.

Rubio came to prominence during the brief window of the GOP's self-interrogation after Romney's loss, when the party thought a play for the "naturally conservative" (i.e. Catholic) Latino voting bloc might be possible. Instead, of course, 2016 arrived and the base went all-in for white nationalism and race hatred.

If Trump had somehow stuck to marketing scams and laundering Russian oligarch money, Rubio might have had a shot in 2016. Politics is a funny thing.
Well, he completely abandoned his signature issue of immigration reform.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

How can they call it tax "reform" when it's robbing the poor to pay the rich?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote:How can they call it tax "reform" when it's robbing the poor to pay the rich?
Also, when there is literally no reform.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly - this isn't the post card return we were promised. It is basically the same tax code after a machine gun calibrated to only create loopholes for the fabulously wealthy was fired into the pages.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if they lied to us.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

They didn’t lie! They just creatively redefined the word “reform” to mean “any change whatsoever”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

RunningMn9 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm They didn’t lie! They just creatively redefined the word “reform” to mean “any change whatsoever”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Since it worked so well this time, they're about to use the same trick to reform medicare, medicaid, and as many other social safety nets as they can get away with, but it'll really just be slashing funding.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:37 am
Read an article yesterday about the hundreds of thousands of displaced Puerto Rican’s settling in Florida. They’re (obviously) pissed at the administration’s handling of the hurricane disaster. This is likely a sorry attempt at CYA for this new voting block that will almost assuredly vote D.
FWIW, I was in San Juan a couple weeks ago and the attitude was pretty resigned rather than angry. They also blamed local and federal government equally.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:53 pm
Zarathud wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:01 pm
ImLawBoy wrote:AT&T was one of those proponents doing the trumpeting all along. We actually had a company town hall with our CEO "interviewing" Paul Ryan and Steve Mnuchin about the tax bill during this process. I think you're misreading this.
Not helping your cause. At all.
I'm not in the mood for arguments based on vague statements, so if you want to raise a point (including whatever you think my cause is), please do so.
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:29 pm I’m trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that it’s not just because they pay him.
Same goes to you.
I should probably let this drop at this point, but this still really sticks in my craw, especially Isg's statement. Zarathud's initial post was likely just a simple misunderstanding of my point (i.e., that AT&T's response was not designed to stroke Trump's ego specifically, and that the response would have been the same regardless of who was president when this bill passed). We could have worked that out through discussion. Isg's post just strikes me as spiteful.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My apologies. It certainly wasn't meant as such.

If you wish to discuss it further, we can do so in PM, as I don't think hashing it out in the thread would be productive.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:38 pm My apologies. It certainly wasn't meant as such.

If you wish to discuss it further, we can do so in PM, as I don't think hashing it out in the thread would be productive.
When your response to my argument is to publicly question my motivation instead of the substance of my argument, I think it is more appropriate to publicly hash that out than to do so in private.

That said, I'm willing to accept the apology and move on. This probably wasn't the best time to raise the issue, but I was mostly off the forums for a bit during the holidays.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Looking at upping my withholding this year - looks like the new limit is $18,500/year, but I'm checking with benefits to see if there are any weird caveats with that.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm I'm willing to accept the apology and move on.
Let's go with that. I crossed a line, and I know how angry it would make me to be on the other side of it.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm Looking at upping my withholding this year - looks like the new limit is $18,500/year, but I'm checking with benefits to see if there are any weird caveats with that.
Why would there be any caveats to upping your retirement account withholding?
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:46 pm Looking at upping my withholding this year - looks like the new limit is $18,500/year, but I'm checking with benefits to see if there are any weird caveats with that.
Thinking in terms of other "deductions" and how they may be impacted if we have to itemize for 2018 - there was a lot of noise about caps on various deductions which may work together, and I'm not entirely sure of what ended up in the bill.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:33 pm
pr0ner wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm
Thinking in terms of other "deductions" and how they may be impacted if we have to itemize for 2018 - there was a lot of noise about caps on various deductions which may work together, and I'm not entirely sure of what ended up in the bill.
AFAIK, pre-tax retirement account deductions avoided Republican wrath.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Caveats are no weirder than normal. There is a maximum you are allowed to make and maximum combined amount you and your company can put it. I've already upped my semimonthly contribution $770 because 18500 doesn't have a good gazinta for 24 pay periods.

Edit

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announ ... 0-for-2018

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017/10 ... s-for.aspx

So it's $18,500 plus up to $6000 more if you are 50 or older (in 2018?) combined with whatever your employer contributes to a total of no more than $55,000 not inclusive of whether you qualify for IRAs.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$770.83, you mean! ;)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm $770.83, you mean! ;)
That was the number I didn't want to burden accounting with nor wanted to track. I also could have played games, as we can change our contributions every quarter not to exceed 18500 this year.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It's good to take a break, ImLaw.

I was mostly snarking out year end frustration over the most "special interest" time of the year of another Republican (tax break) Christmas season. I'm so tired of professionally dealing with these last minute changes.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've been reading that the IRS is adjusting the withholding tables based on the new law and that we could see the change in our paychecks in February.

While they are changing the tables, they aren't making everyone fill out a new W4. Is there some calculator I can use to tell how many exemptions to claim? Do I have to wait for the IRS tables to be finalized? I really don't want to have to owe taxes next year when I'm expecting a modest return.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Local news was just talking about that.

I think they said that the IRS was also going to put out a calculator that you could use.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

stessier wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm I've been reading that the IRS is adjusting the withholding tables based on the new law and that we could see the change in our paychecks in February.

While they are changing the tables, they aren't making everyone fill out a new W4. Is there some calculator I can use to tell how many exemptions to claim? Do I have to wait for the IRS tables to be finalized? I really don't want to have to owe taxes next year when I'm expecting a modest return.
I'd like to know how they are going to handle claiming exemptions when personal exemptions no longer exist under the new tax bill. Are they going to call them something else? How does someone "adjust" their taxes so they can force the smallest refund possible if they want to without exemptions?
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

TheMix wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 pm Local news was just talking about that.

I think they said that the IRS was also going to put out a calculator that you could use.
Okay, great. Thanks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

It looks like maybe the calculator will be available some time in Feb.
Q: Should people check their withholding after the new 2018 Form W-4 and the withholding calculator are available?

A: Yes. It’s always a good idea for people to check their withholding status. The IRS encourages all taxpayers to check their withholding when the new information is available in February. The IRS will help educate taxpayers about the new withholding guidelines and the calculator. The effort will be designed to help workers ensure that they are not having too much or too little tax taken out of their pay.
From: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-withho ... -questions

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

So this new tax bill will be in effect for the 2017 tax year, or starting with 2018?

I gave a LOT of stuff to Goodwill this year...hopefully the charitable deduction/itemization change does not affect 2017, or I'm hosed.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It went into effect 1/1/18 and you'll feel it when you file taxes in 2019. So good thing you donated everything in 2017. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:32 pm So this new tax bill will be in effect for the 2017 tax year, or starting with 2018?

I gave a LOT of stuff to Goodwill this year...hopefully the charitable deduction/itemization change does not affect 2017, or I'm hosed.
Same here...about $5K worth of shit.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to put this here, healthcare reform, Trump, economic turmoil, employment, or investor enclave thread

http://www.newsweek.com/alzheimers-park ... rch-780163

I chose here because tax reform and the speculation is what has my 401k up nearly 30% over the last 12 months and I afraid both to put more money in and to not put more money in.
Still, Pfizer isn’t hurting for money. The company is set to win big from the tax overhaul, but they’re passing the money on to investors instead of funding research and development. The company plans to spend about $10 billion buying back shares of its own stock, adding to the $6.4 billion it previously greenlit. It will also increase its dividend rate by six percent to 34 cents per share. That money could fund multiple clinical trials.