Trump Outrage Fatigue

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Captain Caveman

Re: Trump Outrage Fatigue

Post by Captain Caveman »

YellowKing wrote:Even with that BEST CASE scenario, the realization that it's a minimum 3 years before the country can even begin to get back on track is really depressing.
Best case scenario is a lot worse than that. Even if Trump isn't re-elected-- and even if he leaves office sooner than that-- we've fucked ourselves for the foreseeable future. We're forever a nation that might elect someone like Trump, and that changes the calculus for how the world interacts with us. Trump is pulling out of agreements (or at least threatening to) left and right... Paris, maybe Iran, threatening NAFTA and NATO, etc... which means no one is going to trust making deals with us down the road given that we may renege on the agreement depending upon the results of the next election. His provocations with NK only further validates their development of nuclear warheads and increases the likelihood that other countries will feel the need to do so for their own protection. His actions are making an already dangerous world all the more dangerous, and even once he's gone, the mere fact that we're capable of electing someone like him president will undermine our leadership on the world stage for a long time to come.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote: We're forever a nation that might elect someone like Trump, and that changes the calculus for how the world interacts with us.
And how we react with ourselves and our neighbors and our communities our families and our workplace. He's legitimizes certain sort of nihilistic amorality, break down in the civil part of civilization.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
YellowKing wrote:The only thing that keeps me mildly sane is the notion that Mueller is lurking quietly in the background, building a case that will eventually bring Trump's house of cards tumbling to the ground. I don't know if that's true, but it's the one bit of hope I keep clinging to.
I had that slight optimism as well, but then I realize that Trump is just a result of the problem. Booting Trump out won't solve the problem of your neighbor who voted for Trump, and still thinks that he's doing a great job. Who will he vote for next?
This.

You can't debate with these people because facts don't matter anymore. You can't vote them completely out of power because gerrymandering. And you can't resort to calling them the idiots they are because they just dig their heels in even further.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

You think we are getting tired of all this? Here's another gossip piece by Robert Reich, posted on the facebook:
This morning I phoned my old friend, a Republican former member of Congress.

Me: So what’s up? Is Corker alone, or are others also ready to call it quits with Trump?

He: All I know is they’re simmering over there.

Me: Flake and McCain have come pretty close.

He: Yeah. Others are thinking about doing what Bob did. Sounding the alarm. They think Trump’s nuts. Unfit. Dangerous.

Me: Well, they already knew that, didn’t they?

He: But now it’s personal. It started with the Sessions stuff. Jeff was as loyal as they come. Trump’s crapping on him was like kicking your puppy. And then, you know, him beating up on Mitch for the Obamacare fiasco. And going after Flake and the others.

Me: So they're pissed off?

He: Not just that. I mean, they have thick hides. The personal stuff got them to notice all the other things. The wild stuff, like those threats to North Korea. Tillerson would leave tomorrow if he wasn’t so worried Trump would go nuclear, literally.

Me: You think Trump is really thinking nuclear war?

He: Who knows what’s in his head? But I can tell you this. He’s not listening to anyone. Not a soul. He’s got the nuclear codes and, well, it scares the hell out of me. It’s starting to scare all of them. That’s really why Bob spoke up.

Me: So what could they do? I mean, even if the whole Republican leadership was willing to say publicly he’s unfit to serve, what then?

He: Bingo! The emperor has no clothes. It’s a signal to everyone they can bail. Have to bail to save their skins. I mean, Trump could be the end of the whole goddam Republican party.

Me: If he starts a nuclear war, that could be the end of everything.

He: Yeah, right. So when they start bailing on him, the stage is set.

Me: For what?

He: Impeachment. 25th amendment.

Me: You think Republicans would go that far?

He: Not yet. Here’s the thing. They really want to get this tax bill through. That’s all they have going for them. They don’t want to face voters in ’18 or ’20 without something to show for it. They’re just praying Trump doesn’t do something really, really stupid before the tax bill.

Me: Like a nuclear war?

He: Look, all I can tell you is many of the people I talk with are getting freaked out. It’s not as if there’s any careful strategizing going on. Not like, well, do we balance the tax bill against nuclear war? No, no. They’re worried as hell. They’re also worried about Trump crazies, all the ignoramuses he’s stirred up. I mean, Roy Moore? How many more of them do you need to destroy the party?

Me: So what’s gonna happen?

He: You got me. I’m just glad I’m not there anymore. Trump’s not just a moron. He’s a despicable human being. And he’s getting crazier. Paranoid. Unhinged. Everyone knows it. I mean, we’re in shit up to our eyeballs with this guy.
IDK how much credence to give these things. It would help to know his source. Reich is a reasonable man. He obviously has an agenda, but he wouldn't invent this out of whole cloth.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Economy is doing great. Unemployment is down.

What's the problem?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It rankles me every time one of these sources act like Trump's behavior is shocking or a surprise. Did anybody even watch this guy make a public appearance while he was running? It was obvious with anyone with half a brain the guy was a moron and a psychopath.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Must be a real idiot if he blames Moore on Trump. Hell without Trump throwing support to Strange he would have lost by another 6-8%. Moore won because of the RINOs of which this guy was obviously one.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

He doesn't blame Moore on Drumpf. He explicitly says Drumpf had no impact whatsoever.

Sorry, that was from an article I had just read. Polling at the time shows no movement from Drumpf's endorsement.

Data collection at the time suggests that rip's opinion is way off, although substituting "not conservative enough" for rino might make it slightly less so.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What is a RINO anymore? The Republican brand is a complete mess which is the point the unknown guy is making.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote:What is a RINO anymore? The Republican brand is a complete mess which is the point the unknown guy is making.
It has been a mess pretty much since Reagan. It just took awhile for the voters to realize they were being conned and then revolt. The Romney republicans are dinosaurs that don't realize they are extinct yet.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:Must be a real idiot if he blames Moore on Trump. Hell without Trump throwing support to Strange he would have lost by another 6-8%. Moore won because of the RINOs of which this guy was obviously one.
Dude, you're in Louisiana. You know exactly why Roy Moore won Alabama.

(Everyone else: Jesus is why. That's the whole story.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Rip wrote:Must be a real idiot if he blames Moore on Trump. Hell without Trump throwing support to Strange he would have lost by another 6-8%. Moore won because of the RINOs of which this guy was obviously one.
Dude, you're in Louisiana. You know exactly why Roy Moore won Alabama.

(Everyone else: Jesus is why. That's the whole story.)
Which has ZERO to do with Trump. In fact it is despite Trump. That was Cruz's base.