Trump Outrage Fatigue

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Trump Outrage Fatigue

Post by tgb »

Is anyone else suffering from this? I recognize the danger in allowing this walking turd and everything he does to become normalized, but it's like I just don't have the strength any more. I used to spend hours poring over news sites, watching videos of commentators talking about how horrible his latest tweets are, etc., but now I just sort of sigh and can't be bothered.

I think I've come to accept that if anyone was going to invoke the 25th, it would have been done by now, and the only hope of putting an early end to this nightmare lies in the hands of Mueller.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Carpet_pissr

Re: Trump Outrage Fatigue

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Or some of those 2nd amendment people could do something, I don't know.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The outrage and hate - it keeps me warm.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It seemed like when Kelly took over that things got better, but the past week it seems as if the crazy has come back even stronger than before.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I'm still all in. The NFL anthem shenanigans, his Puerto Rico nonsense, and the jr. high antics around Bob Corker have me just as angry as ever.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Not my President. Wait. True but still outraged. I will be until the mid-term elections. Then if the GOP still controls the reigns, then I'll be fine with it. Choice made.

Y'all need to fix the districts asap.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've got Trump fatigue, not outrage fatigue. The outrage keeps my eyes open. I need it so I can believe there's still an American future.

When all this is over and we have a decent president again, I'll probably collapse.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

tjg_marantz wrote:Not my President. Wait. True but still outraged. I will be until the mid-term elections. Then if the GOP still controls the reigns, then I'll be fine with it. Choice made.

Mid-terms will still favor the GOP unfairly. Even if the Supremes step in on Wisconsin it likely won't apply for 2018. It'd likely still take a disproportionate dip to displace them entirely in an off-year. I am not going to bank on that.
Holman

Post by Holman »

tjg_marantz wrote:Not my President. Wait. True but still outraged. I will be until the mid-term elections. Then if the GOP still controls the reigns, then I'll be fine with it. Choice made.

The districts can't be fixed for years, almost certainly not before the 2020 census, and that's only if more state governments go Democratic.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The most likely trigger event that could cause Trump to leave office early is the Mueller investigation. Good news on that is that it seems to be chugging along.

The good news (such as it is) is that since you live in Arizona there are plenty of productive things that you can do to help save the Republic. Both of your senators are Republicans who occasionally say (and even more occasionally do) independent things, so you can give their offices regular calls to suggest that they do those things (and in Flake's case, let him know that your vote depends on it). You can also get involved in donating to (or volunteering for) political campaigns, since Arizona will probably be important to whether Trump's party controls Congress after 2018.
Black Lives Matter.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

I believe the house is in play.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
malchior

Post by malchior »

tjg_marantz wrote:I believe the house is in play.
The house is in play - but it'll be close. It'll take something like ~55% of votes going to Dems. Personally I think it won't happen. We are on the darkest timeline.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, the House should be competitive. The Senate will be more difficult, but this is a unique (and very hostile to Republicans) national political environment at the moment, so the democrats still have a shot there as well - remember in 2006 the democrats wound up winning Senate races in places like Montana, which is why they have so many seats to defend now.

And if the democrats are going to take the Senate, they absolutely have to win Arizona's senate seat to have a shot. So...there you go.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I find all this fatigue fatiguing.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

So yeah. If the house is not taken, then really, whatever. If Dems can't get their people to come out and vote, they deserve paying second fiddle and I wish them luck.

I know, gerrymandering, voter ID, etc. Still. They'll own it.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
naednek

Post by naednek »

I just want a sign (like a political sign) on my yard that says, not my fault.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

It's just another reality show. The outrage-of-the-day is entertaining for 15 minutes. Then I want to see how they're going to top that one.

You gotta keep the ratings up or you get canceled.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Yes. It's exhausting but I've been trying to moderate my outrage because I know we're are in for a very long 4 years. I can't delve deeply into his stupidity. I'm limiting myself to drive-by readings of it for now.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Jag wrote:Yes. It's exhausting but I've been trying to moderate my outrage because I know we're are in for a very long 4 years. I can't delve deeply into his stupidity. I'm limiting myself to drive-by readings of it for now.
You mean 8 years.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Rip wrote:
Jag wrote:Yes. It's exhausting but I've been trying to moderate my outrage because I know we're are in for a very long 4 years. I can't delve deeply into his stupidity. I'm limiting myself to drive-by readings of it for now.
You mean 8 years.
You gonna change your avatar back?
tgb

Post by tgb »

Rip wrote:
You mean 25-to-life.
If there's any justice in the world.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Rip wrote:
You mean 8 years.
By the time the first 8 years are up, term limits may no longer be an issue. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:
You mean 8 years.
It doesn't seem to matter, GOP candidates seem to be getting worse in years when they can win.

First, Bush Jr. and his abdication of power to Cheney in times of crisis.

First McCain chooses Sarah Palin and converts "Maverick" to "Insane"

Then Romney, who wasn't bad, but rather generic.

Then Trump and Pence (who I think in some ways would be worse than Trump - look at the NFL stunt this weekend).

The Post-Trump Presidency GOP may even be more insane. Kid Rock/Ted Nugent ticket?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My fatigue mainly extends from all the memes I see on Twitter and other social media (including this very forum) in response to Trump's usual whateverness.
Hodor.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Holman wrote:
Rip wrote:
You mean 8 years.
You gonna change your avatar back?
No just going to change it to Pence when he replaces Trump in 2024.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You're trying too hard.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote:You're trying too hard.
The secret is not trying at all, seems to provide my best output.

I must be a distant Trump relative.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You spelled distant correctly, so probably not.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Rip wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:You're trying too hard.
The secret is not tryingcaring at all, seems to provide my best output.
FTFY
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

At this point, I mostly just focus on the things that would be the most impactful - eg, the response to Maria and Chancellorsville, the attempts to repeal healthcare, tensions with North Korea.

Other stuff doesn't really hit my radar much.

It helps that a lot of what he says is hot air, and it also helps that he (and congress) haven't been very effective.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Defiant wrote:At this point, I mostly just focus on the things that would be the most impactful - eg, the response to Maria and Chancellorsville, the attempts to repeal healthcare, tensions with North Korea.

Other stuff doesn't really hit my radar much.

It helps that a lot of what he says is hot air, and it also helps that he (and congress) haven't been very effective.
That's kind of my approach, but when he pulls shit like the "calm before the storm" picture stunt, that scares the shit out of me. I do think he's capable of accidentally or purposefully getting us embroiled in a conflict. Having kids it scares me even more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't completely disconnect (and I'm not sure I would if I could) because enough of what he bloviates on impacts environmental, health and safety regulations. I'm absolutely fatigued but I need to stay abreast of whatever is happening.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm absolutely fatigued but I need to stay abreast of whatever is happening.
+Too Many.

The wife and I were talking a couple days ago about how we were looking forward to having anyone else in office, just so we could stop worrying about what this guy is going to do to us.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Smoove_B wrote:I can't completely disconnect (and I'm not sure I would if I could) because enough of what he bloviates on impacts environmental, health and safety regulations. I'm absolutely fatigued but I need to stay abreast of whatever is happening.
Same here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The threats against the media like today are why I am not fatigued. He is a danger to the human race at worst and at best we are hanging onto our democracy. We have huge problems without Trump. I think Trump might be a fatal wound.

Therefore it is worth remaining outraged. It has certainly made me rethink my relationship with country. And my fellow citizens.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:I can't completely disconnect (and I'm not sure I would if I could) because enough of what he bloviates on impacts environmental, health and safety regulations. I'm absolutely fatigued but I need to stay abreast of whatever is happening.
That has been me, but it's hard. Liberal media and liberal social media gets too OUTRAGED about petty shit or non existent shit and detracts from the so much that is so important that seems to happen thrice weekly.

But more importantly, my fatigue was huge until Emenem's "Storm" last night. That was just... perfect. The OUTRAGE was perfect. I won't say it made me feel good, but his brand of outrage reminded me not become numb.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not tired of the outrage because I'm in the same boat as malchior - if anything, I think people should be MORE outraged.

On the other hand, I am frustrated with it because at times it seems we (as a society) are simply yelling into the void. Does all of our anger and outrage matter if this orange fuck face is just going to stay in office and continue blowing shit up week after week?

The only thing that keeps me mildly sane is the notion that Mueller is lurking quietly in the background, building a case that will eventually bring Trump's house of cards tumbling to the ground. I don't know if that's true, but it's the one bit of hope I keep clinging to. My best case scenario is that Trump resigns next year, GOP is swept out in mid-terms, and Pence gets nothing done for his remaining two years. D is elected in 2020 and systematically undoes every travesty this shit-show of an administration has put in place.

Even with that BEST CASE scenario, the realization that it's a minimum 3 years before the country can even begin to get back on track is really depressing.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote:The only thing that keeps me mildly sane is the notion that Mueller is lurking quietly in the background, building a case that will eventually bring Trump's house of cards tumbling to the ground. I don't know if that's true, but it's the one bit of hope I keep clinging to.
I had that slight optimism as well, but then I realize that Trump is just a result of the problem. Booting Trump out won't solve the problem of your neighbor who voted for Trump, and still thinks that he's doing a great job. Who will he vote for next?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Defiant wrote: it also helps that he (and congress) haven't been very effective.
What are you talking about? No President and Congress has ever accomplished so much in so little time as this pair?!
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote:I'm not tired of the outrage because I'm in the same boat as malchior - if anything, I think people should be MORE outraged.

On the other hand, I am frustrated with it because at times it seems we (as a society) are simply yelling into the void. Does all of our anger and outrage matter if this orange fuck face is just going to stay in office and continue blowing shit up week after week?

The only thing that keeps me mildly sane is the notion that Mueller is lurking quietly in the background, building a case that will eventually bring Trump's house of cards tumbling to the ground. I don't know if that's true, but it's the one bit of hope I keep clinging to. My best case scenario is that Trump resigns next year, GOP is swept out in mid-terms, and Pence gets nothing done for his remaining two years. D is elected in 2020 and systematically undoes every travesty this shit-show of an administration has put in place.

Even with that BEST CASE scenario, the realization that it's a minimum 3 years before the country can even begin to get back on track is really depressing.
Not to mention that most of Trump's dubious accomplishments consist of undoing Obama's presidency. If the next government has to spend years undoing Trump, that's years wasted going nowhere...and it's not hard to imagine a subsequent Republican government carrying that tradition even farther into the future.