2017 Elections

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: 2017 Elections

Post by El Guapo »

geezer wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:58 pm
gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:50 pm
Holman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:15 pm Tomorrow's POTUS tweetstorm blaming his own party, Crooked Dems, and America will be sublime.
Incoming in 3...2...1... I don't even...
What's he even talking about? Results show a bunch of House seats flipping against R incumbents, including this one where I have to believe the results aren't reported correctly:

Virginia House Of Delegates 27 90.9% reporting
VOTES PCT
Barnett (D) 396,900 96.9%
Robinson (R)* 12,865 3.1%
*incumbent
He's talking about the 2017 House special elections, which Republicans all won (though, as I am sure he is unaware, by margins vastly closer than their usual very Republican leanings).
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Scoop20906 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:57 pm
El Guapo wrote:Didn't think that I would ever say this, but thanks Donald Trump Jr.

Wouldn’t this be considered voter fraud?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He almost certainly did it by mistake. After all, his followers are probably heavily Republican, so they're not the people he would want to trick.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

From Twitter: "Democrats will have veto power over Virginia's next post-census electoral map for the first time since 1991."
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:01 pmHe's talking about the 2017 House special elections, which Republicans all won (though, as I am sure he is unaware, by margins vastly closer than their usual very Republican leanings).
There were actually 5; the GOP won 4 and the Dems won 1. Despite having one of the best memories of all time, Trump can't seem to remember all of them.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 pm From Twitter: "Democrats will have veto power over Virginia's next post-census electoral map for the first time since 1991."
Possibly more than that - too close to call, but currently looking like the democrats are more likely than not to pick up the Virginia House as well. Though I assume the VA Senate is not in play (at least, not seeing any references to it online).

edit: Wikipedia tells me that the Virginia Senate (all of it, apparently) is next up for election in November 2019.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The VA results are very significant and Murphy won in NJ strongly as well. I have to imagine tax reform just got a lot messier. These guys are stuck between the plutocrats and a increasingly pissed off electorate...at least those that aren't in Trump's thrall.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

oooh, the meltdown and the finger pointing from the orange moron is going to be so delicious.
Covfefe!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 pm oooh, the meltdown and the finger pointing from the orange moron is going to be so delicious.
As was alluded to above, Trump and the conservative media have already begun pushing the line that this is because Gillispie didn't embrace Trump enough.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They were prepared for this - they probably were banking on a Northam win. They however probably did not count on the VA House flipping (if it does). There is little they can do to spin that one.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:29 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 pm oooh, the meltdown and the finger pointing from the orange moron is going to be so delicious.
As was alluded to above, Trump and the conservative media have already begun pushing the line that this is because Gillispie didn't embrace Trump enough.
So Gillespie is a formerly-mainstream Republican who went Trumpian racist for this campaign and lost big, and the voters' message is that he wasn't racist enough?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:33 pm They were prepared for this - they probably were banking on a Northam win. They however probably did not count on the VA House flipping (if it does). There is little they can do to spin that one.
I mean, notwithstanding all the liberal angst, that was the most likely outcome going into tonight, given Northam's lead in the polling average (though he appears to have amply out-performed that average).
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 pm
So Gillespie is a formerly-mainstream Republican who went Trumpian racist for this campaign and lost big, and the voters' message is that he wasn't racist enough?
That's Trump's message.

I really thought Gillespie would keep it closer than this but I guess embracing Trump really cost him.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:42 pm
Basically, yes.

I mean, it is true that Gillispie embraced Trumpism pretty heartily, but he never really embraced *Trump* - never brought him to campaign events, and steadily avoided using his name. Of course, given polling numbers doing so probably only would have worsened his loss.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Breitbart is calling Gillespie a Republican swamp thing on the front page. Bannon is probably pretty cranky that his white utopia isn't fully coalesced yet. Upside for him is that exit polls had Northam getting something like only 45% of the white vote so the racists he appeals to are still out there. They just didn't turn out in force.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

Racist don’t like rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Good day. NJ, VA and my friend won reelection to the school board.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also Medicaid expansion appears to be passing (via ballot initiative) in Maine.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 pm Also Medicaid expansion appears to be passing (via ballot initiative) in Maine.
A big fat middle finger to LePage - he deserves it.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also Democrats gained control of the WA State Senate, which gives them unified control of Washington.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am A quick reminder: Election Day is in one week, and there's probably something on the ballot near you.

Texas
  1. Authorizes tax exemption for property of partially disabled veterans received as donations
  2. Makes changes to home equity loan provision of constitution
  3. Provides for how long an appointed officer may serve after his or her term expires
  4. Requires a court to provide notice to the attorney general of a challenge to a statute
  5. Defines professional sports team in charitable raffles
  6. Authorizes property tax exemption for surviving spouses of first responders killed in line of duty
  7. Authorizes financial institutions to offer prizes to promote savings
Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes, Yes, Yes.

No on 3:
Proposition 3 would make an exception to the requirement that appointed officials serve until their successors are qualified. As of 2017, appointed officials can remain in office past the expiration of their terms until their successors are appointed and qualified. This is referred to as the holdover provision and, according to the Texas Senate Research Center, was designed to prevent vacancies.[2]

Proposition 3 would exempt unsalaried officials appointed by the governor with consent of the Senate from the holdover provision. In other words, these officials would not continue to serve in office past the expiration even if no successor had been appointed. These officials would continue to serve after their terms expire until the last day of the regular legislative session that begins after the terms end. If a new official is not appointed by the end of the session, then the office would become vacant.
No on 4:
Proposition 4 would authorize the Texas State Legislature to require courts to inform the state attorney general of a legal challenge to the constitutionality of a state law. The measure would also allow the legislature to require a waiting period of not more than 45 days after a judge notifies the attorney general before the judge can rule a state law unconstitutional.
Results came in at Yes on all of them. Prop 7 was the closest winner with 60.32% in favor.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that 3 and 4 won, since TEXAS!!1!, but I'm a little disappointed.

And my credit union employer was pushing 2 and 7 through internal channels.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Boston incumbent mayor (Marty Walsh) won reelection by a wide margin, which wasn't too surprising. That was the major local race here.

In Virginia, democrats started yesterday with 34 seats in the VA House (out of 100). As of now they have 48 seats to the Republicans 47, with 5 races too close to call (each within ~300 votes) pending provisional ballots. If each of those go to their current (narrow) leaders, the VA House would be split 50-50. One of the Republican leaders is up by all of 12 votes, so there's a decent chance that flips after provisional ballots are counted, which would give Democrats control of the VA House. Probable that there will be at least a few recounts, regardless.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ugh. Turnout in my county in WA was 32%
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm Ugh. Turnout in my county in WA was 32%
Texas turnout was under 6%.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm
Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:58 pm Ugh. Turnout in my county in WA was 32%
:shock: Holy fuck, Texas.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 pm
:shock: Holy fuck, Texas.
There was not a single office race on the ballot at the state level. If you didn't have a local issue, it was just the seven amendment issues in the OP.

Looks like Washington statewide was 22.31%.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:09 pm Also Medicaid expansion appears to be passing (via ballot initiative) in Maine.
A big fat middle finger to LePage - he deserves it.
He just going to ignore it:
Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) said Wednesday his administration will not expand Medicaid until the state finds a way to pay for it, a day after voters approved a ballot measure to broaden the program.

“Credit agencies are predicting that this fiscally irresponsible Medicaid expansion will be ruinous to Maine’s budget,” LePage said in a statement.

“Therefore, my administration will not implement Medicaid expansion until it has been fully funded by the Legislature at the levels [the Department of Health and Human Services] has calculated, and I will not support increasing taxes on Maine families, raiding the rainy day fund or reducing services to our elderly or disabled.”
LePage, who is term-limited out of office next year, has previously vetoed five Medicaid expansion bills passed by the state’s legislature, arguing that such a move would be disastrous for the state’s economy.

Maine's House Speaker Sara Gideon (D) said in a statement that the legislature would implement the Medicaid expansion measure, and will fight the governor if he tries to intervene.
LePage said expansion will give “free health care to working-age, able-bodied adults, most of whom do not have dependents.”

About 80,000 Maine residents living below 133 percent of the federal poverty line will now be eligible for the state’s Medicaid program, according to the state.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My understanding is that the effect of the ballot measure is that the legislature has to pass the Medicaid expansion again, but that once they do that it is un-vetoable. So I assume that they will do that, and then sue the governor if he tries to block its implementation.

I guess they could conceivably impeach him over that too, at least in theory (depending on whatever procedures there are for that in the Maine constitution).
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:31 pm He just going to ignore it
It's working so far for 45 and the new Russia sanctions, so I guess it's worth a shot (from his authoritarian point of view).
malchior

Post by malchior »

That is some quality leadership. The I know better than all of you attitude coupled with the moralistic bullshit about people getting handouts. Along with some fake fiscal prudence to try to sell it. Pretty much emblematic of the GOP's approach to governance.
Last edited by malchior on Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If Mitch McConnell can suffer no consequences for refusing to hold a hearing, why should LePage do anything?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

88 nights. Ironic.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:40 pm If Mitch McConnell can suffer no consequences for refusing to hold a hearing, why should LePage do anything?
That is indeed the problem - they've underscored that norms are all that keep us together and the GOP just keeps tearing them up. I really wish they'd finally splinter and go the way of the whigs. Too much to hope for honestly.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Democrats win another couple of elections
The victory in the Oklahoma state legislative election was perhaps the most striking one. Certainly it was a major upset — a little-known, 26-year-old lesbian Democrat named Allison Ikley-Freeman wound up winning a State Senate seat in western Tulsa county over Republican candidate Brian O'Hara, according to Tulsa World.
To the west of Oklahoma, Democrats scored another victory in the mayoral race to lead New Mexico's largest city, Albuquerque. Democratic New Mexico State Auditor Tim Keller easily defeated the Republican candidate, Albuquerque City Councilor Dan Lewis, with 62 percent of the vote to 38 percent of the vote, according to CBS News.
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I read piece from Marshall earlier. It's disgusting.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Can someone write to Bob Marshall and let him know if he's really concerned about children, he should apparently refocus his attention towards malls in Alabama?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:12 pm
His obvious indignation fills me with sunshine and rainbows.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Posting this here because it's more appropriate than that other thread :P ;)

Defiant

Post by Defiant »