Elonian Technocracy
8%
"Company Mandarin is easy to learn and fun to practice!"
8%

Total votes: 13

Holman

Survey: ___topia or What?

Post by Holman »

In terms of governing political philosophy (not necessarily actual president), what comes in 2020 and beyond?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Re: Survey: ___topia or What?

Post by Kraken »

As much as I'd love to see the Sandernistas or your Elonian option, I think the voters will desperately crave a return to normalcy. I also think Biden is the best guy to deliver it. I also think that the Democrats will misread the zeitgeist again, and offer up the change candidate who should have run in '16 instead. Therefore the winner will be a moderate establishment Republican who knocks Trump (or Pence) out in the primaries. We'll get more of a Bush restoration than an Obama restoration...after Trump, the difference between those versions of the middle is not huge.

Unless the Republicans manage to complete their takeover of the electoral process in time to neuter competition. It could happen. Then you're looking at the Pence theocracy or a Trumpian dictatorship. But I don't think they have time to sew that up before November, and by then it will be too late.

I semi-optimistically went with the Obama restoration.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There's no way Trump gets defeated in a primary unless some sort of disaster occurs on his watch that can be clearly blamed on him. The Republican base loves him. He's still extremely popular with them and they turn out for primaries. I just think you're dreaming here - though I wish you weren't.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Grifman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 am There's no way Trump gets defeated in a primary unless some sort of disaster occurs on his watch that can be clearly blamed on him. The Republican base loves him. He's still extremely popular with them and they turn out for primaries. I just think you're dreaming here - though I wish you weren't.
Yeah, sadly this.

He's proven unstoppable. His core will absolutely dominate the cowardly GOP "leadership."

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 am
Grifman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 am There's no way Trump gets defeated in a primary unless some sort of disaster occurs on his watch that can be clearly blamed on him. The Republican base loves him. He's still extremely popular with them and they turn out for primaries. I just think you're dreaming here - though I wish you weren't.
Yeah, sadly this.

He's proven unstoppable. His core will absolutely dominate the cowardly GOP "leadership."

Probably true, but I assign a pretty high probability to that disaster. Does that make me an optimist?
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

I don't see peacefully split into two separate countries as an option. Unless y'all would rather join Canada because you don't think you can handle it on your own? Canada might not want you though. :wink:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Third party surprise.

I'm going by our recent trends. Since Sarah Palin, and by extension the Tea Party types, were brought into mainstream political view, this country has been headed this way. Obama's election was not, in my view, a victory for the Democratic party per se. It was the first time the people voted for a third party President in modern times. I believe if Colin Powell had run as the Republican candidate right after his military service he'd have been elected. The people wanted something vastly different and a black President was as different a President as you could get in this country without electing a woman(there are limits). They voted for Obama not because he was a Democrat, they voted for him despite the fact he was a Democrat.

But electing this different kind of President didn't result in a drastic change in people's lives. If you were rich you were still rich, if you were poor you were still poor. So then Sarah Palin happens. That was the rough beast slouching towards Bethlehem. That was the sign that it's all about surprises now. They lost but that didn't matter. The snowball is rolling downhill now. Trump got elected, that didn't happen because voters wanted to round up the usual suspects for election.

The next stage is well under way in only a year. Trump is delivering, but to his cronies and class. If you were rich, you will still be rich. If you were poor, you will still be poor. Sound familiar? The voters who voted for Trump didn't vote for him because he's a Republican, they were voting for Trump. He just used the party as his launching pad and his voters knew that.

So when 2024 rolls around, things are going to be ugly. Uglier than they are now ugly, that's how ugly. This is going to prime people for something even more different, more outside the mainstream. Dissatisfaction is going to be so high that typical Democrats and Republicans are going to seem quaint, or worse, pitiful. When people are supremely pissed off and you're the man or woman trying to tell them "Can't we all get along?" all that does is make you look like grandma or grandpa trying to solve a family fight by telling everyone to sit down and get back to eating dinner.

The stage will then be set for some group, which probably does not exist right at this moment, to organize their own political effort. I expect there will be some defectors from the two main parties in there, but I mostly expect to see all new faces. The Sarah Palin/Trump model is what I mean, people that in the old days got a "Who? He/she is running? Really?" response. Those will be the norm in the future.

Happy Holidays!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

gameoverman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:09 pm Third party surprise.
Happy Holidays!
TL;DR: Game over, man.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch