Oprah for President! (and other non-conventional candidates)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

There's a whole lot of buzz about a potential run after her Golden Globes speech:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/08/media/o ... index.html

So are liberals prepared to line up behind a liberal amateur just as Republicans lined up behind a conservative amateur? Personally, IMO, if you want to run for president, please run and hold some other office of substance - Congressman, Senator, Governor, Mayor, please something so that you get in idea of how government works. We don't need any more people whose first office is that of President of the US.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Oprah for President! (and other non-conventional candidates)

Post by LawBeefaroni »

No way. And she wouldn't want the job anyway.

At least not the job as it was. If it becomes basically a paid tweeting job maybe she'll take it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm There's a whole lot of buzz about a potential run after her Golden Globes speech:

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/08/media/o ... index.html

So are liberals prepared to line up behind a liberal amateur just as Republicans lined up behind a conservative amateur? Personally, IMO, if you want to run for president, please run and hold some other office of substance - Congressman, Senator, Governor, Mayor, please something so that you get in idea of how government works. We don't need any more people whose first office is that of President of the US.
Eh, I could actually see Mark Cuban doing a pretty good job, but I'd really want to see how his campaign went. Trump's Presidency was reflected in his campaign.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm There's a whole lot of buzz about a potential run after her Golden Globes speech:
I think we know what that buzz really was...

Holman

Post by Holman »

I can think of a lot of politicians I'd support long before Oprah, but at this point I would support her before any Republican anywhere.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It seems bonkers for everyone involved. It would annihilate Oprah's brand within a month, and I doubt she'd get anywhere against (say) Sanders.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Oprah has more political skills than Trump. She inspires more and has more crossover appeal.

She's also a terror to negotiate against and wielded more influence while on TV. She also ran her show with an iron fist and velvet glove.

She is the anti-Trump. She would destroy Sanders as many older women love her.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm Oprah has more political skills than Trump. She inspires more and has more crossover appeal.

She's also a terror to negotiate against and wielded more influence while on TV. She also ran her show with an iron fist and velvet glove.

She has crossover appeal for now, until she starts taking positions on things like abortion, free trade, etc. And every kook she paraded out on her show (Dr. Oz, Jenny McCarthy's anti-vax bullshit) would be (rightfully) trotted out. And god knows what other skeletons may be lurking in her closet because no one's looked too closely. Oh, and I can't wait for her to give her opinion on what to do about Syria, or the Yemeni civil war. I'm sure that that would all go great.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have no doubt that she could win, and no doubt that she would be 100x the president that Drumpf is. She's still not a good candidate for the position though.

You have to actually know stuff, a LOT of stuff, to do the job. It's fun to pretend that anyone can be president one day, and while that's sort of true, we can't pretend that anyone can be a good president one day.
Enough

Post by Enough »

The thought of an Oprah vs Trump election does not take me to my happy place.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Now that nothing matters, I can't wait to see what will unfold over the next ~16 months. It will not surprise me if we never have a "conventional" president ever again.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only know that she's a talk-show host and all-around TV personality. Can't say I've ever seen her act. She'd have to do a lot of convincing to get my vote. Unless she is the D nominee running against Trump...then what the hell, she's my gal by default.

One hopes that she doesn't run a third-party vanity campaign.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Has since moved up to 2nd.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If the Dems want to f their chances in 2020 sure go ahead. Maybe one day they will run a winner and stop tossing stuff against the wall. Hillary came close but I think they need to get back to a strong male congressman. Though right now I cant really pick a good Dem candidate male female gay straight black white .
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I hope she’s not the nominee just because I’d much prefer someone with actual political experience. But if it comes down to her vs Trump, the choice would be easy.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It would be fun to tell Pence that he's got as much chance of being president as Oprah.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 am It would be fun to tell Pence that he's got as much chance of being president as Oprah.
Too late.

Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I mean tell him. Personally.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think the Oprah-for-president buzz is just a reaction to seeing someone give a great and inspiring speech in the era of Trump. I really doubt we'll be talking this way in a week.

Actual political candidates clearly need to get out there and give great speeches.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Says a lot about the lack of any Democrat politicians with the appeal to run.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Says a lot about the current turd in office as well. Anyone, even no political experience Oprah, is pounced on as a potential compared to Der ‘Stable Genius’
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I hate this feeling that we need an "outsider" in government. NO WE DON'T. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING.

You wouldn't look at resumes for CEO of your company and go "You know, we need someone with no experience running this type of company just to shake things up a bit."

And it pains me to say that, because having The Rock as President would kick ass.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:15 pm So are liberals prepared to line up behind a liberal amateur just as Republicans lined up behind a conservative amateur?
Depends on how dumb liberals are. You cannot have the most powerful job in the world in the hands of someone that has absolutely no idea what they are doing. Oprah is as grossly unqualified as Trump. She's almost certainly infinitely more competent, because I doubt that she earnestly believes that she is the world's foremost expert on every conceivable topic.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

If the electorate is going to choose leaders solely on their media personality there's only one viable option:

Josiah Bartlet is the only choice especially if CJ is going to be in his cabinet.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 am Says a lot about the lack of any Democrat politicians with the appeal to run.
You lost the high ground on that argument the moment you voted for a reality TV star.

He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 am
Rip wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 am Says a lot about the lack of any Democrat politicians with the appeal to run.
You lost the high ground on that argument the moment you voted for a reality TV star.

Star, please. He was no more a star than Honey Boo Boo or Uncle Si.

I only voted for him because too many of my party brothers wouldn't vote for Rand Paul or Ted Cruz.

That said I would have voted for Roseanne over Hillary.

“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:56 am I mean tell him. Personally.
Oh, that would be fun. I'm just saying that (if PredictIt.com is to be believed) he does not have as much of a chance of being elected as Oprah.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am
I will now wait for the outraged tweets from your president.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:01 am I think the Oprah-for-president buzz is just a reaction to seeing someone give a great and inspiring speech in the era of Trump. I really doubt we'll be talking this way in a week.

Actual political candidates clearly need to get out there and give great speeches.
I agree. And I think it would be such a terrible decision for her personally that I really doubt that she would run.

Still, it was interesting to read the stuff that Nate Silver has been posting on an Oprah run. He's a little more bullish on her chances of success (if she runs) than I was expecting. I also didn't realize just how high her approval rating is:

Though again that would immediately decline if she become a political candidate, it's just a matter of how much. But it would be a decline from a very, very high number.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 am
Rip wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:28 am
I will now wait for the outraged tweets from your president.
He won. Period.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:59 pm I can think of a lot of politicians I'd support long before Oprah, but at this point I would support her before any Republican anywhere.
We get what we deserve.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 pmWe get what we deserve.
If one party is willing to put an inexperienced TV personality up for election - and they win because STIGGIN IT - how on earth could any other party think they can run a traditional candidate and compete? People would vote for Oprah because of her persona. They probably know more about her than 95% of the people in government. We likely only know about Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan because they're evil. I'd imagine people outside of NJ know about Cory Booker because while serving as mayor, he carried a neighbor from a burning house. This election changed everything in that it demonstrated people were willing to elect a personality to the highest office in our nation. Nothing matters anymore.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:10 pm
Kurth wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 pmWe get what we deserve.
If one party is willing to put an inexperienced TV personality up for election - and they win because STIGGIN IT - how on earth could any other party think they can run a traditional candidate and compete? People would vote for Oprah because of her persona. They probably know more about her than 95% of the people in government. We likely only know about Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan because they're evil. I'd imagine people outside of NJ know about Cory Booker because while serving as mayor, he carried a neighbor from a burning house. This election changed everything in that it demonstrated people were willing to elect a personality to the highest office in our nation. Nothing matters anymore.
Yep. Plus reflexive, unthinking tribalism.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Living in a state that is being ineptly run by an inexperienced non-politician businessman and in a country that is being ineptly run by an inexperienced non-politician businessman/celebrity, I'm kind of hankering for an experienced politician. I mean, my 3.5 year old twins would do a better job of running the country than Trump (and they spend half their day picking their noses and/or calling for us to look at their poop in the toilet), so I'd take Oprah if that's what it came down to, but I'd really rather have someone who knows something about and has some experience with governing.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 pmI'm kind of hankering for an experienced politician.
Here's the thing - I know a few mid-to high level experienced public servants. Individuals that have decades of knowledge in working with the budgetary process, policy creation and policy implementation - fundamentals. At the end of the day, no one cares about them or what they're doing because it's public service. They're not making waves, they're maintaining forward motion. It's not exciting by any means. But Oprah? Trump? Suddenly people are interested. Never mind the details, I like what Trump says about Mexicans! I like that Oprah is a very giving individual! The goalposts have moved. Or been lowered (depending on how depressed you are over the situation).
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 am I hope she’s not the nominee just because I’d much prefer someone with actual political experience. But if it comes down to her vs Trump, the choice would be easy.
DING! DING!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 am I hate this feeling that we need an "outsider" in government. NO WE DON'T. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE FUCK THEY ARE DOING.
The "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" style of populism is seductive -- an Every(wo)man who will bring honesty, common sense, and principles to the job, fight for the interests of us little people, and then go back to the farm after eight years. Somehow Trump managed to con a lot of people into thinking that he was that person. Since it's now obvious to everyone that he never was and never could be, do voters really want to try again? If so, billionaire celebrities are not the place to look for Everyman.

Unless, that is, the government is a reality show and the president's job is to entertain us. Is this the new path to the oval office?

I'm with YK this time -- we need professionals clean up after this den of amateur liars and thieves. The Mr Smith moment has passed.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Neither Trump nor Oprah fit the Mr. Smith model. Trump wasn't was Everyman, and none of his supporters wanted him to be: he sold himself as a Master of the Universe who knew better than the pencil pushers in D.C. because he knew how to get out there and compete and win. He was going to run government like a business and make us profit once and for all.

Oprah is the same way. Unlike Trump she really is a self-made billionaire, but she's still no Everywoman. Rather, she's a champion of empathy. Oprah's brand is Caring. Where Trump was supposed to be the master businessman, Oprah would be the mistress of compassion.

Compassion might actually sell to liberals as well as business savvy sells to the right, but I'm not sure how it translates into expertise at government.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Free new cars for everybody!
“A simple democracy is the devil’s own government.”
— Benjamin Rush
--
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zarathud wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:25 pm Oprah has more political skills than Trump. She inspires more and has more crossover appeal.

I used to work with a network engineer who nearly got fired because he habitually came in late because he'd stay home to watch Oprah.

I met her, twice. I think she would comport herself with Obama-like class but be a stronger force in pursuing her agenda. I would wait and see who she selects as advisors before going all-in behind her, but she's certainly the most impressive name to be mentioned so far as a democratic candidate.

Now, her lack of political experience should not be an issue if she is running against Trump. But what if, for whatever reason, Trump isn't the candidate? She could suffer if the tide turns back towards the establishment and people value experienced politicians.
Black Lives Matter