Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: Shootings

Post by malchior » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:49 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:37 pm
In totally unrelated news, here's how the Cook County State's Attorney handles illegal firearms:
Two of the men allegedly provided statements to the police implicating Ingram as the owner of the gun. According to the men, when the office initially pulled behind the car, Ingram told the other occupants he had a gun and removed it from his waistband. According to the men, he then placed it between his legs but they lost sight of it. Ingram denied knowledge of the gun according to the police.

None of the men in the car had a valid FOID Card or a concealed carry license. The police contacted the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office on two occasions that night asking for approval to charge Ingram with a felony gun charge. In both instances, the Cook County State’s Attorney denied the request.

Ingram, a 25 year old black male with a Chicago address, was charged with one count of misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon and a Cook County Ordinance ticket for Possession of Cannabis under 30 grams. The other men were not charged.
(That kind of stuff makes the news in Oak Lawn)

Charged with misdemeanor unlawful use of a weapon that was a felony to possess.
Are these hard to prosecute? What could be the motive to ignore this sort of thing after years of ceaseless gun violence?

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Full jails. Although there seems to be plenty of room for dogs.

I mean that might be over simplifying it and there seem to be a million political reasons not to arrest and prosecute vs. just one to do so. But that one happens to be reducing murder and violent crime so... you know. Whatever that's worth.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 pm

You know who needs to be hassled by increased security in Las Vegas? Computer nerds
Caesars began rolling out a new security policy in February that mandated room searches when staff had not had access to rooms for over 24 hours. Caesars has been mostly tolerant of the idiosyncratic behavior of the DEF CON community, but it's not clear that the company prepared security staff for dealing with the sorts of things they would find in the rooms of DEF CON attendees. Soldering irons and other gear were seized, and some attendees reported being intimidated by security staff.

And since the searches came without any warning other than a knock, they led, in some cases, to frightening encounters for attendees who were in those rooms. Katie Moussouris—a bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program pioneer at Microsoft, an advocate for security researchers, and now the founder and CEO of Luta Security—was confronted by two male members of hotel security as she returned to her room. When she went into the room to call the desk to verify who they were, they banged on the door and screamed at her to immediately open it.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Punisher

Post by Punisher » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 pm

Isgrimnur wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 pm
You know who needs to be hassled by increased security in Las Vegas? Computer nerds
Caesars began rolling out a new security policy in February that mandated room searches when staff had not had access to rooms for over 24 hours. Caesars has been mostly tolerant of the idiosyncratic behavior of the DEF CON community, but it's not clear that the company prepared security staff for dealing with the sorts of things they would find in the rooms of DEF CON attendees. Soldering irons and other gear were seized, and some attendees reported being intimidated by security staff.

And since the searches came without any warning other than a knock, they led, in some cases, to frightening encounters for attendees who were in those rooms. Katie Moussouris—a bug bounty and vulnerability disclosure program pioneer at Microsoft, an advocate for security researchers, and now the founder and CEO of Luta Security—was confronted by two male members of hotel security as she returned to her room. When she went into the room to call the desk to verify who they were, they banged on the door and screamed at her to immediately open it.
This seems like an invasion of privacy to me... but I'm honestly not sure if there is something in the room agreement that lets them come in whenever they want. Typically for vacations our do not disturb goes up when we enter the room the first day and comes down when we check out. I dont want to be bothered at all. I suspect a class action lawsuit at some point.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

malchior

Post by malchior » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Sounds like a massive over correction by the hotels there. I'd like to know what is magical about a 24 hour check period that makes this effective.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am

malchior wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:56 pm
Sounds like a massive over correction by the hotels there. I'd like to know what is magical about a 24 hour check period that makes this effective.
It's to ensure that no one is fortifying their room exactly like the Vegas shooter. It took him a few days to get all set up.

Of course it's just theater. They did the same 24 hour check here for hotels near Lollapalooza.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT