Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Shootings

Post by Zaxxon »

As of this post, Dick's post on Facebook has 232k likes, 110k loves, and 17k angries (95% positive reaction). Seems like surprisingly positive sentiment despite the comment thread seeming more evenly-distributed.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The angry votes are from those who want them to stop giving discounts to Planned Parenthood.
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

hepcat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:40 pm The angry votes are from those who want them to stop giving discounts to Planned Parenthood.
:doh:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Georgia
Police in Georgia say a teacher apparently fired a gun inside a classroom at Dalton High School and barricaded himself there for about 30 minutes before he was taken into custody.

WRCB reports that no students were inside the classroom at the time. Police spokesman Bruce Frazier says that the teacher apparently did not want to involve students. He says authorities have recovered a handgun.
The school has about 2,000 students, according to its website. It is located about 90 miles (145 kilometers) north of Atlanta.

Dalton is known as the Carpet Capital of the World, since much of the carpet for U.S. and world markets is produced within a 25-mile (40-kilometer) radius of the city. The origins of Dalton’s carpet industry are traced to the making of bedspreads in the community.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm Georgia
Police in Georgia say a teacher apparently fired a gun inside a classroom at Dalton High School and barricaded himself there for about 30 minutes before he was taken into custody.

WRCB reports that no students were inside the classroom at the time. Police spokesman Bruce Frazier says that the teacher apparently did not want to involve students. He says authorities have recovered a handgun.
The school has about 2,000 students, according to its website. It is located about 90 miles (145 kilometers) north of Atlanta.

Dalton is known as the Carpet Capital of the World, since much of the carpet for U.S. and world markets is produced within a 25-mile (40-kilometer) radius of the city. The origins of Dalton’s carpet industry are traced to the making of bedspreads in the community.
Wow, talk about timing. Exhibit A in why we should think long and hard about putting more guns in schools.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:39 pm Georgia

Why did the article author feel the need to include the fun facts about Dalton producing a lot of carpets?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't know, but I felt that I had to make sure it got included in my quote for additional eyes.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm Why did the article author feel the need to include the fun facts about Dalton producing a lot of carpets?
:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

"This story brought to you by the Dalton Chamber of Commerce!"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:13 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm Why did the article author feel the need to include the fun facts about Dalton producing a lot of carpets?
:lol: I was thinking the same thing.

"This story brought to you by the Dalton Chamber of Commerce!"
Same exact thought, except it was Dalton Tourism. Yours is better. I forget chambers of Commerce exist.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, as it happens, my wife and I were just talking about where we want to take our next vacation. This just about settles it.

"Honey, there's this lovely little town in Georgia that just had a teacher arrested for shooting a gun in school AND produces just a whole ton of carpets..."
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:06 pm
Wow, talk about timing. Exhibit A in why we should think long and hard about putting more guns in schools.
You know, if I were a teacher, and I really, really wanted to make sure that arming teachers didn't happen...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When your editor budgets 800 words and the story only fills 500....
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:25 pm
You know, if I were a teacher, and I really, really wanted to make sure that arming teachers didn't happen...
Well, you have to wonder if this was the first time he brought a gun to school and if he did so legally or not. I mean was he an "armed teacher" who had a negligent discharge/went crazy or a school shooter who happened to be a teacher? Or a disgruntled employee. Of the latter two we've had a lot. Don't recall the first before.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One wonders who decides to respond to a negligent discharge by barricading themselves in the room. That's the actions of a child that doesn't want to get in trouble refusing to come out.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And this is why we need armed teachers to protect students from other armed teachers. (goes off to cry in corner over the whole guns mess)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

We should arm students to deal with armed teachers.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No worries, Trump has it figured out:
One of the strangest moments came when he argued that the alleged shooter in the tragedy in Parkland, Fla. — about whom there were numerous red flags — should have had his guns taken away regardless of what the law allowed.

“I think they should have taken them away, whether they had the right or not,” Trump said. He added later, in case there was any doubt: "Take the guns first, go through due process second."
This is the President of the United States of America speaking.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

tjg_marantz wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:24 pm We should arm students to deal with armed teachers.
Nope. Just give them bear arms.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You'd lose your job and go to jail?

That's dedication to your former career.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:28 pm No worries, Trump has it figured out:
One of the strangest moments came when he argued that the alleged shooter in the tragedy in Parkland, Fla. — about whom there were numerous red flags — should have had his guns taken away regardless of what the law allowed.

“I think they should have taken them away, whether they had the right or not,” Trump said. He added later, in case there was any doubt: "Take the guns first, go through due process second."
I know that this gets said all the time, but good god imagine if Obama said that. The NRA couldn't send out fundraising blasts fast enough.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:44 pm

I know that this gets said all the time, but good god imagine if Obama said that. The NRA couldn't send out fundraising blasts fast enough.
DONALD TRUMP IS COMING FOR YOUR GUNS.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm
You'd lose your job and go to jail?

That's dedication to your former career.
I wouldn't. The hypothetical me who in the example? Sure. People lose their jobs and go to jail every day for causes they believe in. It isn't at all absurd to imagine a teacher being so incensed by the idea and terrified by the thought of a school full of guns that he would be willing to sacrifice himself to make sure it doesn't happen. It would also explain the single gunshot in an empty room and the barricading to make it a 'big issue.'

Note that I'm not saying that's what happened. It's borderline conspiracy theory stuff. I'm just pointing out that it's an extreme possibility.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm I mean, as it happens, my wife and I were just talking about where we want to take our next vacation. This just about settles it.

"Honey, there's this lovely little town in Georgia that just had a teacher arrested for shooting a gun in school AND produces just a whole ton of carpets..."
It really ties the state together, man.
Jag

Post by Jag »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Kraken wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:20 pm I mean, as it happens, my wife and I were just talking about where we want to take our next vacation. This just about settles it.

It really ties the state together, man.
:wub: :wub:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Surprising absolutely no one. :(
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:34 pm As of this post, Dick's post on Facebook has 232k likes, 110k loves, and 17k angries (95% positive reaction). Seems like surprisingly positive sentiment despite the comment thread seeming more evenly-distributed.
Walmart follows suit.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nice. Come on, Cabela's...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

We don't need to think long and hard about it, it's a stupid idea designed to distract from the campaign to actually try to do something about getting LESS Guns in schools.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Holman wrote:DONALD TRUMP IS COMING FOR YOUR GUNS.
I wonder if this will be the what breaks Trump. The GOP is willing to ignore everything wrong about Trump to get their special interest's policies. When he is no longer reliable, they will turn on him. But when?
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Pyperkub wrote:
We don't need to think long and hard about it, it's a stupid idea designed to distract from the campaign to actually try to do something about getting LESS Guns in schools.
Fewer. More grammar in schools!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 pm
Pyperkub wrote:
Fewer. More grammar in schools!
Sure, go all (grammar) Nazi on me - you darned Nazi! :tjg:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 pm All Parkland needed was President Trump:
Orange Buffoon wrote:"I really believe I'd run in there, even if I didn't have a weapon, and I think most of the people in this room would have done that too," Trump told a gathering of US governors at the White House.
To quote those kids, "We call BS!"

Enlarge Image
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

If that's the scene I think it is, he was pretty clearly not afraid (although I equate that with being unable to imagine being in harm's way) and the secret service dudes had to bundle him up.

Having the secret service dudes pile on top of you and drag you to safety isn't something you have a choice about.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm
I wonder if this will be the what breaks Trump. The GOP is willing to ignore everything wrong about Trump to get their special interest's policies. When he is no longer reliable, they will turn on him. But when?
Do GOP lawmakers genuinely care about guns, though, or do they just play that role because they're so well paid to do so? Trump's heresy could be the cover they need to break ranks, if they still have vestigial consciences.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 pm
Spoiler:
No
Also someone will explain to Trump shortly what he actually thinks about all this.
Black Lives Matter.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:35 pm
Well, you have to wonder if this was the first time he brought a gun to school and if he did so legally or not. I mean was he an "armed teacher" who had a negligent discharge/went crazy or a school shooter who happened to be a teacher? Or a disgruntled employee. Of the latter two we've had a lot. Don't recall the first before.
Schools are still gun free zones. He did not bring a gun there legally regardless of any permits he may otherwise hold.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Technically, he shouldn't be here.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Remus West wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:06 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:35 pm

Schools are still gun free zones. He did not bring a gun there legally regardless of any permits he may otherwise hold.
They are not universally gun free. Didn't know about this particular school.

Utah is among at least eight states that allow, or don’t specifically prohibit, concealed weapons in K-12 schools, according to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
CLARKSVILLE (KFSM) -- The Clarksville School District was one of the first to implement armed faculty and staff on a school campus and now, school officials say they feel safer.

For nearly five years, more than 20 faculty and staff have served as armed, private security guards to protect themselves and students in case of an emergency. Those armed guards receive training yearly.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT