Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Months Renewed - We are good until October 2020. Paypal Donation Link Here

Shootings

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: Shootings

Post by em2nought » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:49 pm

Skinypupy wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:15 pm
YellowKing wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Watching Fox News tell its supporters what to be OUTRAGED about next is like watching someone torment a cat with a laser pointer.
I can’t wait to hear the about-face when the movie ends with the hunted MAGAs finding and killing the librul hunters with high powered weaponry, as I fully assume it will.

It will be hailed as a “Triumph of the Deplorable Spirit”
From watching the trailer, it might be as bad for you guys as Top Gun Maverick with it's Murica! feel. I'd think your side would want to suppress (hehe) both? :think:
Enlarge Image
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21475
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Shootings

Post by Holman » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 pm

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 pm
I will say that Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace are pretty damn good at being fair journalists.

...that's all I got.
It's relative.

I've seen Chris Wallace transition from reporting on a white-supremacist shooter to an apparently random crime involving black bank robbers, just so Fox can focus on black mugshots longer than on the white mass murderer.

No doubt there are Fox news producers who made this decision, but Wallace is still a part of it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Shootings

Post by Skinypupy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Yet somehow I can manage to ignore both without feeling the need to whine to the entire country about how they “just aren’t faaaaaiiiiiiiirrrrr!”
Last edited by Skinypupy on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38954
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by hepcat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Holman wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:29 pm
I will say that Shepard Smith and Chris Wallace are pretty damn good at being fair journalists.

...that's all I got.
It's relative.

I've seen Chris Wallace transition from reporting on a white-supremacist shooter to an apparently random crime involving black bank robbers, just so Fox can focus on black mugshots longer than on the white mass murderer.

No doubt there are Fox news producers who made this decision, but Wallace is still a part of it.
I doubt Wallace was aware he was race baiting if it did happen the way you believe it did.

Trump hates Wallace and Smith. That’s usually a good sign they’re doing something right.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

malchior
Posts: 9015
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 pm

Re: Shootings

Post by malchior » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:42 pm

The News side of Fox News is pretty solid. They however have been edged out of the main rotation over time. At this point, Shep/Wallace et. al. on the sane side are on only a few hours of the day. If you are seeing the OUTRAGE!!! machine on the screen then there is a very, very good chance that it isn't the News division running the show.

User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 18158
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Re: Shootings

Post by Grifman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 am

Alefroth wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm
As far as I can tell from trailers, they don't identify the hunted as conservatives and the hunters as liberals in any way, shape or form. Are they just forcing that context onto the film without justification, or am I missing a trailer or two that spells that out? :?

However, if I'm NOT missing some vital info, I would like to declare that Toy Story 4 is clearly torture porn about victimized liberals (the toys) being used and abused by conservatives (the children), and am now outraged.
The trailer I saw mentioned the hunters as elites and the prey were from places like AK and WY.

It looked like a revenge fantasy for the common folk to me, so not sure why they are getting outraged.

Wikipedia also mentions that a trailer refers to them as deplorables.
The trailer isn’t explicit but the theme of elite liberals hunting stupid conservatives is there - it’s not something made up. Given the situation in the country right now, I think this is a terrible idea, and so did a lot of studios that intelligently passed on the project. I like good satire but this is as bad as a satire with conservatives hunting Hispanics - I would not approve of either.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4618
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Shootings

Post by Alefroth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 am

Grifman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 am
Alefroth wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm
As far as I can tell from trailers, they don't identify the hunted as conservatives and the hunters as liberals in any way, shape or form. Are they just forcing that context onto the film without justification, or am I missing a trailer or two that spells that out? :?

However, if I'm NOT missing some vital info, I would like to declare that Toy Story 4 is clearly torture porn about victimized liberals (the toys) being used and abused by conservatives (the children), and am now outraged.
The trailer I saw mentioned the hunters as elites and the prey were from places like AK and WY.

It looked like a revenge fantasy for the common folk to me, so not sure why they are getting outraged.

Wikipedia also mentions that a trailer refers to them as deplorables.
The trailer isn’t explicit but the theme of elite liberals hunting stupid conservatives is there - it’s not something made up. Given the situation in the country right now, I think this is a terrible idea, and so did a lot of studios that intelligently passed on the project. I like good satire but this is as bad as a satire with conservatives hunting Hispanics - I would not approve of either.
I'm not sure why you quoted me, I didn't say any of the things you're refuting, and you actually echoed what I said.

I don't even know if I'd consider it satire. It looks like a basic victims turn the tables tale.

User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 18158
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Re: Shootings

Post by Grifman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 am

Alefroth wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 am
Grifman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 am
Alefroth wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm
As far as I can tell from trailers, they don't identify the hunted as conservatives and the hunters as liberals in any way, shape or form. Are they just forcing that context onto the film without justification, or am I missing a trailer or two that spells that out? :?

However, if I'm NOT missing some vital info, I would like to declare that Toy Story 4 is clearly torture porn about victimized liberals (the toys) being used and abused by conservatives (the children), and am now outraged.
The trailer I saw mentioned the hunters as elites and the prey were from places like AK and WY.

It looked like a revenge fantasy for the common folk to me, so not sure why they are getting outraged.

Wikipedia also mentions that a trailer refers to them as deplorables.
The trailer isn’t explicit but the theme of elite liberals hunting stupid conservatives is there - it’s not something made up. Given the situation in the country right now, I think this is a terrible idea, and so did a lot of studios that intelligently passed on the project. I like good satire but this is as bad as a satire with conservatives hunting Hispanics - I would not approve of either.
I'm not sure why you quoted me, I didn't say any of the things you're refuting, and you actually echoed what I said.

I don't even know if I'd consider it satire. It looks like a basic victims turn the tables tale.
Take a deep breath, I wasn’t trying to refute you :) I was trying to complement what you had said with additional information. That said, it is a satire as that is how the director has described it.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7761
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Shootings

Post by Max Peck » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am

When trolling moves from the intertubes to IRL...

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights
A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38954
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by hepcat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 am

Grifman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:03 am
Alefroth wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:00 am
Grifman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:00 am
Alefroth wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:05 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:44 pm
As far as I can tell from trailers, they don't identify the hunted as conservatives and the hunters as liberals in any way, shape or form. Are they just forcing that context onto the film without justification, or am I missing a trailer or two that spells that out? :?

However, if I'm NOT missing some vital info, I would like to declare that Toy Story 4 is clearly torture porn about victimized liberals (the toys) being used and abused by conservatives (the children), and am now outraged.
The trailer I saw mentioned the hunters as elites and the prey were from places like AK and WY.

It looked like a revenge fantasy for the common folk to me, so not sure why they are getting outraged.

Wikipedia also mentions that a trailer refers to them as deplorables.
The trailer isn’t explicit but the theme of elite liberals hunting stupid conservatives is there - it’s not something made up. Given the situation in the country right now, I think this is a terrible idea, and so did a lot of studios that intelligently passed on the project. I like good satire but this is as bad as a satire with conservatives hunting Hispanics - I would not approve of either.
I'm not sure why you quoted me, I didn't say any of the things you're refuting, and you actually echoed what I said.

I don't even know if I'd consider it satire. It looks like a basic victims turn the tables tale.
Take a deep breath, I wasn’t trying to refute you :) I was trying to complement what you had said with additional information. That said, it is a satire as that is how the director has described it.
I wasn't aware of the political leanings of the characters, but it still sounds like much ado about nothing. It's a comedic take on The Most Dangerous Game. Not the most original of ideas, I must say. I'm fine with holding off the release date in light of the shootings, but I'm not going to condemn this movie based solely on whether or not it intentionally is trying to play off partisan divide in this country using a story that's older than most of those bitching about it as its vehicle. Also, movies like The Purge and other crappy revenge/violence porn has been showing liberals hunted/being controlled by thinly veiled conservatives for ages. I don't remember anyone on the left getting bent out of shape over such stuff. But then again, what can you expect from a group of people who love to believe they're victimized at every turn. Conservatives have become a bunch of spineless whiners.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4618
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Shootings

Post by Alefroth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:58 pm

Max Peck wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am
When trolling moves from the intertubes to IRL...

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights
A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.
Good thing there wasn't a good guy with a gun there.

User avatar
UsulofDoom
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am

Re: Shootings

Post by UsulofDoom » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm

hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm
em2nought wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm
Right wing crazies are saying it is a call to open season on white men or some such.
We think what Joaquin Castro did is also https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/06/re ... -antonio/
On Monday night, Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro posted the names and employers of 44 San Antonio residents who donated to President Trump’s reelection bid.
Add "doxxing" to things you don't know the meaning of. All that info is publicly available.

But do keep trying. It's fascinating to watch you prove all my beliefs about the average Trump supporter.

p.s. if it's any consolation (I sure hope not), the other rabid Trumpie sites are also clueless about what doxxing is because I've seen more than one of them make the same mistake.
This is the Definition on bing.

dox
[däks]

VERB
doxxing (present participle)
search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.
"hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

Is that not what he did or does Bing have it wrong?
No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm

Alefroth wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:58 pm
Max Peck wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:53 am
When trolling moves from the intertubes to IRL...

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights
A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.
Good thing there wasn't a good guy with a gun there.
There was.

The man was filming himself walking around the store pushing a cart when the store manager pulled the fire alarm to warn customers to escape. The man exited through an emergency exit.

An off-duty firefighter then held the heavily armed man at gunpoint until police arrived.

Not that it made a huge difference but I think it did help the cops catch the guy, who was trying to flee.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Alefroth
Posts: 4618
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:56 pm
Location: Bellingham WA

Re: Shootings

Post by Alefroth » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:17 pm

UsulofDoom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm
em2nought wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm
Right wing crazies are saying it is a call to open season on white men or some such.
We think what Joaquin Castro did is also https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/06/re ... -antonio/
On Monday night, Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro posted the names and employers of 44 San Antonio residents who donated to President Trump’s reelection bid.
Add "doxxing" to things you don't know the meaning of. All that info is publicly available.

But do keep trying. It's fascinating to watch you prove all my beliefs about the average Trump supporter.

p.s. if it's any consolation (I sure hope not), the other rabid Trumpie sites are also clueless about what doxxing is because I've seen more than one of them make the same mistake.
This is the Definition on bing.

dox
[däks]

VERB
doxxing (present participle)
search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.
"hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

Is that not what he did or does Bing have it wrong?
What identifying information was released?

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21475
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Shootings

Post by Holman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:37 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm
The man was filming himself walking around the store pushing a cart when the store manager pulled the fire alarm to warn customers to escape. The man exited through an emergency exit.

An off-duty firefighter then held the heavily armed man at gunpoint until police arrived.

Not that it made a huge difference but I think it did help the cops catch the guy, who was trying to flee.
That's the problem with this kind of performative bullshit. What, exactly, was the dude trying to "flee"?

By gun-humper logic, he was merely Carrying To Pwn The Snowflakes, which is not a crime because 2nd Amendment or something. I'm surprised there's not a right-wing campaign to have the firefighter arrested for threatening him.

I hope we see more and more businesses posting a "no guns" policy, which they can do on private property. Even so, we're probably looking at years of idiots like this one trying to push "Any Caliber, Anywhere" to the Supreme Court (which will probably go for it).

Meanwhile, the rest of us will have to get used to seeing deadly weapons brandished as a political statement.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38954
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by hepcat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 pm

Alefroth wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:17 pm
UsulofDoom wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm
hepcat wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:38 pm
em2nought wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:35 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:29 pm
Right wing crazies are saying it is a call to open season on white men or some such.
We think what Joaquin Castro did is also https://thefederalist.com/2019/08/06/re ... -antonio/
On Monday night, Democratic Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro posted the names and employers of 44 San Antonio residents who donated to President Trump’s reelection bid.
Add "doxxing" to things you don't know the meaning of. All that info is publicly available.

But do keep trying. It's fascinating to watch you prove all my beliefs about the average Trump supporter.

p.s. if it's any consolation (I sure hope not), the other rabid Trumpie sites are also clueless about what doxxing is because I've seen more than one of them make the same mistake.
This is the Definition on bing.

dox
[däks]

VERB
doxxing (present participle)
search for and publish private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet, typically with malicious intent.
"hackers and online vigilantes routinely dox both public and private figures"

Is that not what he did or does Bing have it wrong?
What identifying information was released?
Doxxing is typically used when referring to private information, which includes home addresses and phone numbers. Castro simply posted a list of publicly available names and their companies ..and nothing else. Trump routinely lists the names of those who disagree with him on Twitter. Do you think that is doxxing as well?
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:39 pm

Holman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:37 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:10 pm
The man was filming himself walking around the store pushing a cart when the store manager pulled the fire alarm to warn customers to escape. The man exited through an emergency exit.

An off-duty firefighter then held the heavily armed man at gunpoint until police arrived.

Not that it made a huge difference but I think it did help the cops catch the guy, who was trying to flee.
That's the problem with this kind of performative bullshit. What, exactly, was the dude trying to "flee"?

By gun-humper logic, he was merely Carrying To Pwn The Snowflakes, which is not a crime because 2nd Amendment or something. I'm surprised there's not a right-wing campaign to have the firefighter arrested for threatening him.
There have been plenty of 2A nuts saying the guy did nothing wrong and that the firefighter and WMT manager that pulled the fire alarm should be prosecuted.
Holman wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:37 pm
I hope we see more and more businesses posting a "no guns" policy, which they can do on private property. Even so, we're probably looking at years of idiots like this one trying to push "Any Caliber, Anywhere" to the Supreme Court (which will probably go for it).

Meanwhile, the rest of us will have to get used to seeing deadly weapons brandished as a political statement.
Actually, what he did (open carrying a firearm) is only legal in open carry states. If he did that in states that don't allow open carry, he would be breaking the law. The body armor is also illegal in many places. And "brandishing" is a different issue altogether and even in open carry states can get you into trouble.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7761
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Shootings

Post by Max Peck » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 am

If you're suffering from an irony deficiency, this should help:
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
$iljanus
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10928
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:46 pm
Location: Under the bed...your bed...

Re: Shootings

Post by $iljanus » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am

Max Peck wrote:When trolling moves from the intertubes to IRL...

Missouri Walmart panic caused by armed man testing gun rights
A man who sparked panic by walking into a Walmart with a rifle and body armour told police he was testing his right to bear arms in public.

Dmitriy Andreychenko entered the shop heavily armed, days after a mass shooting at another of Walmart's stores.

"I wanted to know if that Walmart honoured the second amendment," the 20-year-old told police after his arrest.

Prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

If found guilty, the charge could result in a four-year prison sentence and a fine of $10,000 (£8,300), Greene County prosecutor Dan Patterson said in a statement.

On 8 August, Mr Andreychenko entered the store "armed with an AR style rifle slung across his chest", police said, wearing a ballistic vest and recording himself. Both the rifle and a handgun he carried were loaded.

He told police he did not expect the reaction his walk generated.

"This is Missouri, I understand if we were somewhere else like New York or California, people would freak out," he said, according to police filings.
It's interesting that it's white folks who always feel comfortable testing their 2nd Amendment rights in our country...
tl;dr

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Shootings

Post by Skinypupy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:33 am

Max Peck wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:55 am
If you're suffering from an irony deficiency, this should help:
I’ve got a couple derper cousins who have been crowing on social media this morning about how this release getting cancelled proves that Trump was truly sent by God to save America from evil.

They’re also the same ones blaming the recent shootings entirely on videos games, unsurprisingly.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6323
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Shootings

Post by msteelers » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:19 am

$iljanus wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 am
It's interesting that it's white folks who always feel comfortable testing their 2nd Amendment rights in our country...
The last time black people tried to open carry, the NRA supported gun control measures to stop them.
Enlarge Image

The bill was introduced in April 1967, six weeks after it had been reported that an armed group of Black Panthers acting as an escort for Malcolm X’s widow, Betty Shabazz, were involved in tense, nonviolent confrontations with airport security officers and police in San Francisco. As leftist writer Sol Stern later noted in Ramparts, “Local cops were dumbfounded to discover that there was no law which prohibited the Panthers from carrying loaded weapons so long as they were unconcealed, a legal fact which the Panthers had carefully researched.”

In a statement quoted by Associated Press, a Panther spokesman said, “The cops asked us what we were doing and we told them. ‘We’re exercising our constitutional rights and we’re not going to take any bull.'”

The Mulford Act was designed to impose a limits on those very constitutional rights in the state of California, establishing that “every person who carries a loaded firearm on his person while on a public street, or in a public place within any city or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or in an inhabited area of unincorporated territory is guilty of a misdemeanor.”

...

The National Rifle Association would later (during the 1970s) harden their stance against any limitations on the right to bear arms, but in 1967, when the Black Panthers emerged as the most militant defenders of that right, the NRA took a very different position.

Their mutual legacy, the Mulford Act, is still on the books today.

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7761
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Shootings

Post by Max Peck » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Between gun massacres, a routine, deadly seven days of U.S. shootings
A boy accidentally killed by his father during a fishing trip in Montana. A woman dead and her husband behind bars after a single gunshot in a Dallas hotel room. A teenager cut down on his porch on a warm day in Washington state.

During the week bookended by mass shootings in Gilroy, California; El Paso, Texas; and Dayton, Ohio, in which gunmen killed 34 people, hundreds of others were shot to death across 47 U.S. states, according to the Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit group that uses local news and police reports to track gun incidents.

The deaths were the sort of everyday murders, suicides and accidents that may not grab the headlines of mass shootings, but in many ways show the true toll of the gun violence endemic to the United States.

More than 36,000 people are shot to death every year on average in America, according to U.S. government data compiled by the gun-control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety. That works out to about 100 a day, or one every 14-1/2 minutes. Suicides account for more than 60 percent of those deaths. Slightly more than a third are homicides.
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61938
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Independent
A 65-year-old man who tackled a gunman who stormed a mosque in Norway is being hailed as a hero.

Witnesses said Mohamed Rafiq restrained the terror suspect and held him down with another worshipper before police arrived, despite being injured in the struggle.

Mr Rafiq was among three people at the al-Noor Islamic Centre in Baerum on Saturday, when a man burst in with “two shotgun-like weapons and a pistol”.

The attacker, who was reportedly wearing a uniform and body armour, broke through a glass door to reach the place of worship, where people were preparing to celebrate the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha.
...
Irfan Mushtaq, board member of the mosque, said that minutes before the shooting on Sunday afternoon around 15 people had been inside the building.

The suspect has been named as Philip Manshaus, a 21-year-old local man.

A post on an online messaging board suggested he was a far-right extremist inspired by the Christchurch, Poway and El Paso shooters

Police are investigating the shooting as a potential terror attack, and have arrested a local white man in his 20s on suspicion of attempted murder.

The same man is also accused of killing his 17-year-old stepsister, whose body was found at her home.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Unhinged guy at Jesse Brown VA hospital.

No physical injuries reported.

A scare was averted Monday afternoon at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, when shots were fired into the hospital by a man with an assault rifle – but nobody was injured.

Jeffrey S. Sallet, special agent in charge of the FBI Chicago Field Office, said the offender was carrying an assault rifle. He said VA police mitigated the threat within 30 second of the gunman entering the building.
...

Former Army medic Oliver Robinson came face to face with the shooter.

“I told him, ‘You don’t have to go through this. Just put that thing down.’ And by then, the VA police were coming down the hall and they drew weapons and took him down,” Robinson said. “He didn’t fight or anything.”

The shooter’s motive remained unclear Monday night. Patients described him as rambling, saying things like: “Who hit me? Who hit me?”

“He kept saying when he got inside the VA: ‘Where’s the ER? Where’s he ER?’” Townsend said.

The hospital said the man who fired the gun is not a veteran.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61938
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:28 am

San Antonio
Officials blamed "political rhetoric and misinformation" after shots were fired at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office in San Antonio, Texas, early Tuesday morning.

Local TV station KENS 5 reported that suspects fired at the building,which includes the ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) field office and Jefferson Bank offices, around 3:00 a.m. CDT Tuesday morning on the northeast side of San Antonio.

No one was injured in the shooting, and federal investigators from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security were searching for suspects.

Christopher Combs, special agent in charge of the San Antonio FBI, said in a press conference later Tuesday that “an unknown number of individuals in an unknown number of vehicles” fired shots at the building and came close to hitting federal employees in the building, according to the San Antonio Express-News.
...
Combs said that ICE was targeted in the shooting since “all of the shots that we have found were on the floors where ICE has offices, so there is no question it is a very targeted attack.”

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61938
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:20 am

Isgrimnur wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:43 pm
CNN
President Donald Trump said Friday there has been "tremendous support" for changing background check laws and appeared optimistic that the National Rifle Association would come around on the issue, despite public statements from the NRA against certain changes to current law.

"I really believe that the NRA — I've spoken to them numerous times — they're great people... and frankly I really think they're gonna get there also," Trump told reporters outside the White House on whether the NRA will support background check legislation.
Raise your hand if this surprises you.

Trump stopped calling for 'very meaningful background checks' on guns after talking to the head of the NRA
Following his talks with NRA chief executive Wayne LaPierre and gun rights activists, President Donald Trump struck a different tone on potential gun regulations in the weeks after two mass shootings, according to a New York Times report.
...
But in the weeks since, Trump said he was "very concerned" with the Second Amendment and claimed, "people don't realize we have very strong background checks right now."
...
A White House spokesman told The Times that Trump's recent comments were not a reversal of his prior statements.

User avatar
Jaymann
Posts: 9002
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:13 pm
Location: California

Re: Shootings

Post by Jaymann » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:33 am

It's never too soon to be an asshole.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Even if you believe they the NICS check is enough, you can't deny that it's broken. Agencies don't share data and plenty of prohibited persons slip through.

There's also the inconsistent usage of the system. In some states, sales are permitted if there is no immediate red flag as opposed to getting a green light. That means an immediate sale. In Illinois we have to wait 3 days to ensure no red flags show up. Other states have still other rules.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61938
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm

USA Today
A 19-year-old freshman arrested in his dorm room at a North Carolina university with two firearms was obsessed with mass shootings and told police he planned to kill his roommate and himself if he failed to get into a fraternity, prosecutors said.

Paul Steber of Boston was arrested Tuesday after other students alerted High Point University campus security that he had a 9mm semi-automatic pistol and a double-barrel, 12-gauge shotgun in his room.

He was charged with possession of weapons on campus and making threats of mass violence, the High Point Police Department said in a statement.

Assistant District Attorney Lori Wickline told the court Wednesday that Steber had bought the guns over the weekend.

She said Steber told officers he had been planning a shooting spree since last Christmas and was "not going to be an outcast any longer" at the university.
...
She added that Steber told officers he had decided to enroll in High Point University "because it was easier to get guns in North Carolina than other states."

Martin Lentz attended the Newman School, a private school in Boston’s Back Bay, with Steber, according to The Associated Press. He said the news of Steber’s arrest “didn’t surprise me in the slightest.” He said there were warning signs that Steber could be dangerous.

“Basically every single day during class, all he did was look up the NRA, look up guns, politicians. He would look up politicians both Democratic and Republican and just stare at them,” Lentz said.

Police praised the students who alerted police.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21475
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Shootings

Post by Holman » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:49 pm

Obviously the solution is to abolish dorm rooms.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Isgrimnur
Posts: 61938
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Chookity pok
Contact:
Isgrimnur’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Holman wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:49 pm
Obviously the solution is to abolish dorm rooms.
Then where will the Air Force sleep?

User avatar
Pyperkub
Posts: 19175
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: NC- that's Northern California
Contact:

Re: Shootings

Post by Pyperkub » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 pm

This attempt to pwn teh libs goes hilariously awry in the comments...
Gee, heroin now kills more people than deaths related in any way (including suicide) to guns. You suppose the D's will propose laws against the importation, sale & use of this deadly drug?
I use heroin to kill the 30-50 feral hogs that run into my yard when my kids are playing.
There is no such thing as an assault heroin. Even though it is a commonly used term, it is incorrect both literally and grammatically. “Assault heroin” is a media term used to attract attention, and this incorrect term has been normalized for any tactical style heroin.
There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

Stefan Stirzaker
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:12 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Shootings

Post by Stefan Stirzaker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Must be a day ending in y. Another mass shooting in texas. 5 dead 16 injured

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Shootings

Post by Skinypupy » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 pm

Apparently driving around just randomly shooting people until the cops killed him.

White dude, mid-30’s

:cry:
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator
Posts: 21923
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:11 am
Location: Surrounded by Mountains

Re: Shootings

Post by Zaxxon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:41 pm


Skinypupy wrote:
White dude, mid-30’s
Because of course.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:07 pm

Not many details but apparently started as a traffic stop. The Texas DPS officer who pulled him over was shot. The suspect then fled, stole (USPS?) truck and then started shooting people in random drive-bys.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Default
Posts: 6026
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:01 pm
Location: Handling bombs.

Re: Shootings

Post by Default » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:47 pm

LawBeefaroni wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:07 pm
Not many details but apparently started as a traffic stop. The Texas DPS officer who pulled him over was shot. The suspect then fled, stole (USPS?) truck and then started shooting people in random drive-bys.
Killed the 29 year old carrier at the end of her shift. The motherfucker and just been fired from his job in the past couple of days.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34432
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Shootings

Post by Kraken » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:14 am

Well, good on Walmart. Now there's a sentence I've never typed before.
The company, America's largest retailer, said it will stop selling handgun ammunition and "short-barrel rifle ammunition," such as the .223 caliber and 5.56 caliber, that can also be used on assault-style weapons after selling all of its current inventory. Walmart (WMT) will also stop selling handguns in Alaska, the only state where it still sells handguns. And Walmart will request that customers no longer openly carry guns into its 4,700 US stores, or its Sam's Club stores, in states that allow open carry.

"It's clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable," Walmart CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo to employees on Tuesday.
However, Walmart will continue to sell long barrel deer rifles and shotguns and much of the ammunition for those guns. The company sells guns in about 3,900 stores. Walmart will also continue to allow concealed carry by customers with permits in its stores.
I have no quarrel with single- or double-shot long guns.

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46676
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies
LawBeefaroni OO’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Shootings

Post by LawBeefaroni » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 am

I have no quarrel with single- or double-shot long guns.
FWIW, AR10s commonly use .308, which they will continue to sell. Heck, they can probably be chambered to take most "long rifle" cartridges.

Nice of them to take a position but banning select cartridges is like a game of whack-a-mole.

Since then, the .308 Winchester has become the most popular short-action, big-game hunting cartridge worldwide. It is also commonly used for hunting, target shooting, metallic silhouette, bench rest target shooting, palma, metal matches, military sniping, and police sharpshooting. The relatively short case makes the .308 Winchester especially well-adapted for short-action rifles. When loaded with a bullet that expands, tumbles, or fragments in tissue, this cartridge is capable of high terminal performance.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 40046
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Shootings

Post by Smoove_B » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:38 am

I'm sure this is going to make the rounds today:
Recent mass shootings have revived demands for meaningful gun control. But many opponents of a renewed federal ban on assault weapons, led by the National Rifle Association, say the earlier ban, from 1994 to 2004, made no difference. Our new research shows otherwise.

We found that public mass shootings — which we defined as incidents in which a gunman killed at least six people in public — dropped during the decade of the federal ban. Yet, in the 15 years since the ban ended, the trajectory of gun massacres has been sharply upward, largely tracking the growth in ownership of military-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

Using the Mother Jones mass shooting database, we identified the number of gun massacres over a 35-year period. (And following the F.B.I.’s approach, we excluded crimes of armed robbery and gang or domestic violence in evaluating public active shooter incidents.) Compared with the decade before its adoption, the federal assault weapon ban in effect from September 1994 through 2004 was associated with a 25 percent drop in gun massacres (from eight to six) and a 40 percent drop in fatalities (from 81 to 49).

Post Reply