Stoneman survivor speaks out

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Stoneman survivor speaks out

Post by Blackhawk »

If you can' t operate the a bolt two or three times in 7-10 seconds, you need more time on the range.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Rip wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:33 am

As far as reload time goes, a wild boar can run 30mph a bear can reach 35mph. That gives you what 7-10 seconds from 100 yards away? Thanks but not about to bet my life on how fast I can work a bolt action.
If you're in bear country and are counting on .223 for bear defense, you probably shouldn't be in bear country. I'd take a bolt action .308 over an AR .223 all day. But the best bear defense is a large caliber revolver. A bear isn't going to charge at you from 100 yards. It's going to surprise you from a much shorter range.

Even if it did oddly decide to charge you from 100 yards, across an open field, the first few shots at that distance with a .223 would just piss it off. Your effective bear range with a .223 is probably 50 yards and in.

A nice bolt action rifle and a high caliber revolver (or maybe an auto in 10mm or .357 sig) is the best bet.

Note: you can get AR platforms in .308. But no one has those.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rip

Post by Rip »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:20 am
Rip wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:33 am

As far as reload time goes, a wild boar can run 30mph a bear can reach 35mph. That gives you what 7-10 seconds from 100 yards away? Thanks but not about to bet my life on how fast I can work a bolt action.
If you're in bear country and are counting on .223 for bear defense, you probably shouldn't be in bear country. I'd take a bolt action .308 over an AR .223 all day. But the best bear defense is a large caliber revolver. A bear isn't going to charge at you from 100 yards. It's going to surprise you from a much shorter range.

Even if it did oddly decide to charge you from 100 yards, across an open field, the first few shots at that distance with a .223 would just piss it off. Your effective bear range with a .223 is probably 50 yards and in.

A nice bolt action rifle and a high caliber revolver (or maybe an auto in 10mm or .357 sig) is the best bet.

Note: you can get AR platforms in .308. But no one has those.
You must not have read the first line. I said for something bigger like Boar (which would include bear) I would go for .308 or 30.06, but yea a nice hand cannon would work as well for the closer ranges.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For hunting, yes. For defense you want the pistol. When a bear is on you, a rifle is useless.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

You don't want a gun against a bear.

Bear attacks
In this trigger-happy society where there are over 300m guns – one for every man, woman and child – the most common myth is that you can protect yourself from a bear with a gun. Forget it.

According to research by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, of those who defended themselves against a bear attack with a weapon, 50% sustained serious injuries – compared to very few injuries incurred by those defending themselves with bear spray. In two studies published in 2008 and 2012 by bear researchers Tom Smith, a professor at BYU, and Stephen Herrero, professor emeritus at the University of Calgary and author of Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance, the profound efficacy of bear spray versus weapons has been proven beyond a doubt.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

REI
Outdoor retailer REI plans to discontinue sales of five brands after customers pressured the company to sever its relationship with a major manufacturer with close ties to the National Rifle Association.

REI announced Thursday evening it would halt orders of products from Vista Outdoors, whose brands include CamelBak (maker of popular water bottles), Bell (known for its bicycle helmets), and Giro (a ski goggle manufacturer).
Beyond the products REI sells, Vista also owns Savage Arms, which makes “modern sporting rifles.” REI says it was Vista’s silence after the events in Parkland that led to the decision.
Vista Outdoor brands
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

They'll pry my CamelBak from my cold, dead fingers.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 pm They'll pry my CamelBak from my cold, dead fingers.
+1. that warm, plastic tasting water extended my hiking ability, while leaving my arms free to fend off bears.
Enough

Post by Enough »

There are alternatives to Camelback and some people even prefer them. But yeah, I am going to keep mine heh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Osprey and Source are both better than Camelback.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Michigan Lawsuit Against Dick's Sporting Goods for Age Discrimination in Gun Sales
In Fulton v. Dick's Sporting Goods, Inc., filed yesterday, an 18-year-old plaintiff is suing over Dick's refusing -- based on his age -- to sell him a rifle. Michigan law categorically prohibits age discrimination except where allowed by other provisions (which would include laws banning alcohol sales to under-21-year-olds, the federal law banning handgun sales by licensed gun dealers to under-21-year-olds, and the like)
Plaintiff is seeking damages, injunctions, costs, and attorney fees. (Under the Michigan statute, sec. 37.2802, a court is authorized but not required to award costs and attorney fees to prevailing plaintiffs.) I don't know of any provision in Michigan law that "permit(s)" refusing to sell rifles or shotguns to 18-to-20-year-olds, so this seems like a winning claim, like the Oregon lawsuit against Dick's and Walmart that I blogged about yesterday.

My question: Doesn't Dick Sporting Goods have a legal department? I'd think a company with stores nationwide would realize that age discrimination might be illegal in some states, would quickly review what those states might be, and would then simply set up a policy that excludes them. True, the companies are presumably trying to make a public statement with their no-gun-sales-to-under-21-year-olds policy; but that statement shouldn't be much diluted by an exception for some states when the explanation for the exception is that they have to comply with the law. And now the news is shifting to "Dick's Sporting Goods being sued for illegal discrimination" instead of "Dick's Sporting Goods is taking a stand to try to prevent gun crime," which was presumably Dick's goal.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it weird that this looks a good thing to me? This looks like it should go to the supreme court and either demand reform or expose us to the absurdity that the NRA demands of the second amendment. If there is cause to compel a retailer to sell an 18 year old a firearm, that same cause should compel the retailer to sell to and five year old.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Or alcohol...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm If there is cause to compel a retailer to sell an 18 year old a firearm, that same cause should compel the retailer to sell to and five year old.
Not really. 18 isn't just a random date Dick's selected previously nor is 21 one they randomly selected now. 21 appears to be less solid ground in some states but 18 isn't.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

The issue is that government sets the age limits on various items. Retailers can't decide on their own to violate those state and federal laws. Dick's should have known better than issue a blanket ban without reviewing state laws.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:35 pmOr alcohol...
Michigan law categorically prohibits age discrimination except where allowed by other provisions (which would include laws banning alcohol sales to under-21-year-olds, the federal law banning handgun sales by licensed gun dealers to under-21-year-olds, and the like)
This is the demand to put laws on the books that restrict a citizens right to keep and arm bears or accept the absurdity that the 2nd amendment is an absolute commandment.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sweet. So we can expect to see similar lawsuits against fitness centers that prevent minors from being members, amusement parks that set age limits on rides, etc. I'll pop the corn.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 pm Sweet. So we can expect to see similar lawsuits against fitness centers that prevent minors from being members, amusement parks that set age limits on rides, etc. I'll pop the corn.
That's what I'm saying

https://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publicat ... rearms.pdf
3.111 Rifles and shotguns; purchases by residents.
Sec. 1. Residents of this state may purchase rifles and shotguns in any state if they conform to the federal gun control act of
1968, Public Law 90-618, and the regulations issued under that act, as administered by the secretary of the treasury, and with
the laws of the state in which the purchase is made.
History:
1969, Act 207, Imd. Eff. Aug. 6, 1969;

Am. 2012, Act 378, Imd. Eff. Dec. 18, 2012.
3.112 Rifles and shotguns; purchases by nonresidents.
Sec. 2. Residents of another state may purchase rifles and shotguns in this state if they conform to the federal gun control
act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, and the regulations issued under that act, as administered by the secretary of the treasury, and
with the laws of the state in which the purchaser resides.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"I'd like to help you, son, but you're too young to vote."

Fitness centers require signing a contract, which isn't legally binding on anyone under 18. Amusement parks use height restrictions on rides, because it doesn't matter if you're 8 or a 42yo midget to the laws of physics.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pmFitness centers require signing a contract, which isn't legally binding on anyone under 18.
Nope, not universally. Ours, for example, is part of our HOA. The kids are covered under our membership. Further, 18 isn't the age that centers that I've ever belonged to use--it's generally 16. So the contract argument is not accurate, anyway.
Amusement parks use height restrictions on rides, because it doesn't matter if you're 8 or a 42yo midget to the laws of physics.
For the 'risky' rides, sure. For certain areas of parks, no. Kid-themed areas, for example.

These are but two examples. How about a senior discount? Why should I be discriminated against at IHOP because I haven't lived long enough to be old?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Moliere wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:38 pm The issue is that government sets the age limits on various items. Retailers can't decide on their own to violate those state and federal laws. Dick's should have known better than issue a blanket ban without reviewing state laws.
It's not nearly that simple. There are no state laws that restrict theaters from permitting those under 17 to watch an R rate movie without an adult or guardian, but those are generally enforceable. There will likely be some sort of balancing test to determine whether these specific age-based requirements are reasonable for a private company to enforce, particularly given the nature of the right to bear arms as a Second Amendment issue.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:45 pm "I'd like to help you, son, but you're too young to vote."

Fitness centers require signing a contract, which isn't legally binding on anyone under 18. Amusement parks use height restrictions on rides, because it doesn't matter if you're 8 or a 42yo midget to the laws of physics.
You could easily let a parent or guardian co-sign for a minor. Again, these types of issues aren't nearly as simple as they are often made out to be.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm These are but two examples. How about a senior discount? Why should I be discriminated against at IHOP because I haven't lived long enough to be old?
Fuck yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. I been waiting for that day. Now I don't have to!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

BTW the only age of minority with regard to fire arms in Michigan AFAICT is 18 to purchase handguns, 18 to carry concealed, and your hunting licensing must be through mentoring license if you are under the age of 10.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:55 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm These are but two examples. How about a senior discount? Why should I be discriminated against at IHOP because I haven't lived long enough to be old?
Fuck yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' bout. I been waiting for that day. Now I don't have to!
Meet you for dinner at Denny's say 3:30ish? :lol:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm Meet you for dinner at Denny's say 3:30ish? :lol:
I can't get out of work that early. I need to arrange to lobby to get the laws changed for social security to go with my AARP and senior discount. If I could collect social security and medicare now, I might be actually be able to retire. I'd have to sit down and to the math.

NO MORE AGISM!
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:44 pm Sweet. So we can expect to see similar lawsuits against fitness centers that prevent minors from being members, amusement parks that set age limits on rides, etc. I'll pop the corn.
Stopping children from watching NC-17 movies? Or there is a law that allow that?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Fitzy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 pm They'll pry my CamelBak from my cold, dead fingers.
+1. that warm, plastic tasting water extended my hiking ability, while leaving my arms free to fend off bears.
If anyone wants to take a moral stand against Camelbak by getting rid of their pack, I need a 3L hydration pack. K, thanks.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:56 pm
Fitzy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm
If anyone wants to take a moral stand against Camelbak by getting rid of their pack, I need a 3L hydration pack. K, thanks.
I keep a 2L in my backpack's hydration pouch. Almost can't live without it now.

In the sub zero temps this winter, it was fun doing the delicate dance of mini-sips to keep the hose from freezing. Got slush a few times.

FWIW, CamelBak was bought by Vista in 2015 and isn't on the shooting sports division of the company. It is in the outdoors division. I wonder if Vista eventually spins off the shooting division. Kind of like how cigarette companies were spun off in the late 90s.

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs gun bill
Other provisions of the law include raising the age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18, banning the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, giving law enforcement greater power to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit, and additional funding for armed school resource officers.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Moliere wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:04 pm Florida Gov. Rick Scott signs gun bill
Other provisions of the law include raising the age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18, banning the sale or possession of bump fire stocks, giving law enforcement greater power to seize weapons and ammunition from those deemed mentally unfit, and additional funding for armed school resource officers.
And the NRA sues...
The National Rifle Association is suing the state of Florida after Gov. Rick Scott signed Senate Bill 7026 into law Friday, the first gun control legislation enacted in the state after the Parkland school massacre on February 14.
The NRA suit focuses on the part of the law that raises the minimum age to purchase a firearm to 21 from 18.
"This bill punishes law-abiding gun owners for the criminal acts of a deranged individual," executive director of the NRA Institute for Legislative Action Chris W. Cox said. "Securing our schools and protecting the constitutional rights of Americans are not mutually exclusive."
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

So I'm reading along a vanity fair column and I come across this

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... daily-show
The “crisis-actor” conspiracy theory, which emerged almost immediately after the students began to tell their stories on TV, has become a pervasive and pernicious narrative. A YouTube video alleging that survivor David Hogg, who had previously been included in a local news report in California, was a “crisis actor” rose to No. 1 on YouTube Trending before the platform noticed and removed the video for violating site policies on harassment and bullying. Conservative pundits and networks, as well as people including Donald Trump Jr. and N.R.A. board member Ted Nugent, have made comments and liked tweets supporting the theory, while critics note that impugning the decency of shooting survivors might be a new moral low. Perhaps instead, as Noah’s video suggests, it’s time for some of these pundits and outlets to look inward.
the hell?
The “crisis-actor” conspiracy theory, which emerged almost immediately after the students began to tell their stories on TV... Donald Trump Jr... have made comments and liked tweets supporting the theory,..
I suppose to him, they're not even people.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

How is that shocking? Has he not done enough to cement himself as a complete shitheel that this behavior is outside your view of his norm? For me this is right up JR's alley.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken