Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by El Guapo »

Don't worry, it will all pan out through magical forces.

Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think they mean underpants gnome economics.

Soon we'll hear recession is a good thing just like devaluing the dollar and destabilizing the markets are good. (which I suppose are good things if you are invested with rubles and the ones doing directing the destabilization)
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

And now Japan starts starts nervously moving away from the US because of Trumps erratic behavior
Donald Trump’s erratic posture on trade is forcing Japanese policymakers to rethink their reliance on the economic and political alliance with the United States, according to a former high-level diplomat from the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative.

Wendy Cutler, former acting deputy U.S. Trade Representative, explained that recent Japanese trade initiatives, such as the newly negotiated Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership, are concrete examples of Japan’s drive to diversify trade relationships and “hedge” against a decline in U.S. influence and power in Asia.

“I think Japan has learned that Trump is unpredictable. You may be his best friend one day, but a week later he is complaining about Japanese trade,” Cutler said in an interview Saturday. She is familiar with Tokyo’s trade policy through her negotiations with Japanese diplomats over the original TPP trade deal.

Cutler, currently vice president and managing director of the Asia Society in Washington, added that a vacuum of U.S. leadership in Asia will encourage Japan and the region’s other countries to push forward deals and other initiatives that do not rely exclusively on the U.S., such as the 11-member CPTPP.
WINNING!
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rip

Post by Rip »

No worries, just tack on tariffs to a bunch more stuff. In the end they need our market WAY more than we need theirs. They are hoping that political forces force him to back off but if they don't this is a fight China can't win.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm No worries, just tack on tariffs to a bunch more stuff. In the end they need our market WAY more than we need theirs. They are hoping that political forces force him to back off but if they don't this is a fight China can't win.
They need our market more as long as the Dollar is the stable central fiat currency of in the world. The moment that changes, that's all she wrote. Quite frankly, I don't want to the world's central super power "peacekeeper", so I'm OK with that. I just don't want my world to go complete shit when we let go. And I have about zero faith not only in our economy not going to complete shit, but that it won't turn a developing cold war into hot war no one will could possibly win.

Except I guess for people who think they are due to be the ones raptured and seem to be trying to bring it on.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pm No worries, just tack on tariffs to a bunch more stuff. In the end they need our market WAY more than we need theirs. They are hoping that political forces force him to back off but if they don't this is a fight China can't win.
I'm sure that's very comforting to the people who are being affected by this right now.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:30 pm
I'm sure that's very comforting to the people who are being affected by this right now.
Well, sure, but Rip doesn't live there and they should know better than to be farmers. Go get a job like everyone else.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

"But I never thought the leopards would eat MY face!!"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:20 pmThey are hoping that political forces force him to back off
ENTER MITCH MCCONNELL:
President Donald Trump may think trade wars are "good and easy to win," but Sen. Mitch McConnell said they'd be disastrous for Kentucky. "I'm not a fan of tariffs, and I am nervous about what appears to be a growing trend in the administration to levy tariffs," McConnell said. "This is a slippery slope, so my hope is that this will stop before it gets into a broader tit-for-tat that can't be good for our country."
When Mitch is willing to go on record, you know it must be serious.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

He went on record as not being a fan and nervous. Wooooo So he can pretend he's another McCain who pretends to be a "maverick" in politics. Well, I'm not fan of the eyeroll and yet :roll:
raydude

Post by raydude »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm He went on record as not being a fan and nervous. Wooooo So he can pretend he's another McCain who pretends to be a "maverick" in politics. Well, I'm not fan of the eyeroll and yet :roll:
In the end I am assuming he will roll over and play dead just like he has always done, because somehow the GOP are "afraid of Donald's base".
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

‘Free-Market’ Conservatives Welcome Their New Protectionist Overlord

Trump was referring here to his mutually threatened trade war with China, which minutes before this tweet he had insisted "We are not in," because "that war was lost many years ago by the foolish, or incompetent, people who represented the U.S." You can't fight a war you've already lost, and so that's why we must fight, amirite?! (Also, the U.S. trade deficit with China isn't close to $500 billion; the president is once again pulling scary-sounding trade stats out of his arse.)

Conservatives used to know damn well that trade deficits don't matter, budget deficits do; not vice-versa. Here's Uncle Milton Friedman making the succinct case about that, and against steel tariffs, 40 years ago. But now that a populist protectionist has taken over the GOP and the White House, that new song is getting sung right out loud:
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm having a really hard time not selling off everything into cash.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm I'm having a really hard time not selling off everything into cash.
You don't want cash. Best to get some gold.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:29 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm I'm having a really hard time not selling off everything into cash.
He didn't say American cash.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think it's possible cryptocurrencies (if you can find a reliable enough one) may be safer than gold, at some point in the near future.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Physical gold is completely overpriced and won't save you. Crypto won't save you. Cash is a maybe good place to be. A market crash or major slow down would be likely be mostly in a deflationary direction. High quality debt is also probably a good place to be but there are risks there too. Still hopefully we won't find out how bad this can get.
Rip

Post by Rip »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm Physical gold is completely overpriced and won't save you. Crypto won't save you. Cash is a maybe good place to be. A market crash or major slow down would be likely be mostly in a deflationary direction. High quality debt is also probably a good place to be but there are risks there too. Still hopefully we won't find out how bad this can get.
You think physical gold is overpriced now. If things degraded to Venezuela levels it would be a lot higher.

I'm going with food, water, gold, and lead.....
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I for one am not surprised that Rip also fancies himself an expert on international trade. There is no end to his expertise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 pm I for one am not surprised that Rip also fancies himself an expert on international trade. There is no end to his expertise!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Indeed. Makes one wonder if I am an illegitimate child of DJT, huh?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I'd almost hope Trump totally ruins the country to hell and back and get it over with but it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the GOP and his supporters so why bother.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

We have to keep in mind that Trump didn't win because of his base. He won because a lot of disgruntled traditional Democrats voted for "change." He won because a lot of people couldn't be motivated to vote for Hillary, or voted for third party candidates. And even then, he barely won and still lost the popular vote. And his approval ratings still suck.

It's tempting to throw up our hands in despair and believe that there's no hope, but this entire administration is a house of cards. It's not sustainable and it will collapse.

Unless you think that somehow Trump is magically going to do a bang-up job between now and November. He's already squandering the meager amount of economic goodwill he got from his tax cuts, so I don't have any faith he can do anything that's going to suddenly turn his fortunes around. The guy's a complete idiot, and he only seems to be getting dumber with experience.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 pm We have to keep in mind that Trump didn't win because of his base. He won because a lot of disgruntled traditional Democrats voted for "change." He won because a lot of people couldn't be motivated to vote for Hillary, or voted for third party candidates.
He won because of fake news.
if Hillary Clinton had retained the support of Obama voters, she would have most likely won the 2016 election. Instead, just 77 percent of Obama voters supported Clinton. Our survey data show that 10 percent of these former Obama voters cast ballots for Trump in 2016, 4 percent switched to minor parties and 8 percent did not vote.

Our key research question is: What accounts for these defections?

Our survey asked 281 questions, including three false statements best characterized as fake news – two negative statements about Hillary Clinton and one positive statement about Donald Trump. All three were widely disseminated through social media and spread by mainstream and partisan news outlets.

The first is that “Hillary Clinton is in very poor health due to a serious illness.” Twenty-five percent of all survey respondents believed that this was “definitely true” or “probably true,” as did 12 percent of our former Obama supporters.

The second is a statement that asked our respondents if they believed that “During her time as U.S. secretary of state, Hillary Clinton approved weapon sales to Islamic jihadists, including ISIS.” Thirty-five percent of our national sample believed that Clinton had sold weapons to the Islamic State, as did 20 percent of former Obama voters.

Finally, the third is a statement that “Pope Francis endorsed Donald Trump for president prior to the election.” About 10 percent of our national sample and 8 percent of Obama supporters thought this statement was true.

Belief in these fake news stories is very strongly linked to defection from the Democratic ticket by 2012 Obama voters. Among respondents who didn’t believe any of the fake news stories, 89 percent cast ballots for Hillary Clinton in 2016. Sixty-one percent of those who believed one fake news item voted for Clinton. But only 17 percent of those who believed two or all three of these false assertions voted for Clinton.
I probably ought to post this somewhere other than the trade war thread, but you gave me a segue. :)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:01 pm Physical gold is completely overpriced and won't save you. Crypto won't save you. Cash is a maybe good place to be. A market crash or major slow down would be likely be mostly in a deflationary direction. High quality debt is also probably a good place to be but there are risks there too. Still hopefully we won't find out how bad this can get.
This.

Commodities get crushed during a recession; including gold.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

NPR has had a few farmers on to talk about how this is affecting them.

They're all "Well, we've been living on the cusp for years now - and it's going to get worse. We weren't getting ahead before, so this is definitely going to sink a few people. BUT we support the President and what he's trying to accomplish. I just wish it didn't put farmers in the cross hairs"

I really wanted one of them to rail against him. I can only imagine farmers are so used to being abused by government policy that they just shrug and keep on moseying when the bullets start hitting them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Paingod wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:35 am NPR has had a few farmers on to talk about how this is affecting them.

They're all "Well, we've been living on the cusp for years now - and it's going to get worse. We weren't getting ahead before, so this is definitely going to sink a few people. BUT we support the President and what he's trying to accomplish. I just wish it didn't put farmers in the cross hairs"

I really wanted one of them to rail against him. I can only imagine farmers are so used to being abused by government policy that they just shrug and keep on moseying when the bullets start hitting them.
I guess one way or another this will correct itself. Either the farmers get smart and go against Trump or they fold and corporate america gets the farms.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:49 pm
I think it's possible cryptocurrencies (if you can find a reliable enough one) may be safer than gold, at some point in the near future.
Just stay in diversified index funds. The market grows over time, even through periods of recession or depression. Unless you're planning on retiring in the near term, of course.
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Can someone explain to me what constitutes a "trade war"? I keep seeing articles about the tit-for-tat tariffs stating that they are bringing us one step closer to a trade war. So how does a full blown trade war differ from what is already going on?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 am Can someone explain to me what constitutes a "trade war"? I keep seeing articles about the tit-for-tat tariffs stating that they are bringing us one step closer to a trade war. So how does a full blown trade war differ from what is already going on?
I don't think there's really a formal definition of "trade war". Broadly speaking I think of it as a series of tit-for-tat tariff exchanges that goes for multiple rounds, as opposed to a one-off exchange.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Only a smattering of metals and crops are involved.

We're currently in a trade peace keeping action.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:16 am Can someone explain to me what constitutes a "trade war"? I keep seeing articles about the tit-for-tat tariffs stating that they are bringing us one step closer to a trade war. So how does a full blown trade war differ from what is already going on?
As far as I can tell we are firing shots. I don't think there is concrete definition. What defined the war on drugs? Or the war on poverty?

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is ... +trade+war
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, 538 created a game where you can run your own trade war.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:23 am Also, 538 created a game where you can run your own trade war.
The solution reminded me of

Code: Select all

Would you like to play a game?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

The Courier font is a nice touch.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 pm
LOL.
Why LOL? Rip is right. The moment the US stops buying Chinese goods, thats all she wrote for China. China is only a state at this point, the Communist party only rules because of explosive growth powered by American buying. We destroyed our middle class to build theirs. Everyone in China is quiet cause they are getting rich.

Take that away and China collapses like the Soviet Union.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:37 pm
LOL.
Why LOL? Rip is right. The moment the US stops buying Chinese goods, thats all she wrote for China. China is only a state at this point, the Communist party only rules because of explosive growth powered by American buying. We destroyed our middle class to build theirs. Everyone in China is quiet cause they are getting rich.

Hint.
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:37 pm
LOL.

China is their own market. As you have stated we built them a middle class. They are now a consumption based economy as well as producers.

Will we slow their meteoric growth down? Of course we will. We will lose a race to the bottom? Well ask which country has built it's infrastructure in the last 20 years and which country has seen theirs collapse.

As far as I know, the other Trump has right is China's economy still has little respect for IP and while they have plenty of brilliant mines they invest very little developing Chinese technology but rather co-opt it or outright steal it. I don't see how a "trade war" over steel is going foster a situation where IP is respected without him actively connecting the dots in a meaningful way.

Finally, with this administration which way do you think global economy will lean to support?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And while we are pissing off all of our trading partners, they are making deals all over the world to improve their diversification of markets and sophistication of industries.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm And while we are pissing off all of our trading partners, they are making deals all over the world to improve their diversification of markets and sophistication of industries.
That's what I'm saying.

Though we're making Russia happy as a pig in shit both providing them preferential trading status and are scaring our trading partners to them as well. Go USA!