Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by El Guapo »

Trump is undermining his authority to unilaterally institute tariffs, which he can only do on "national security grounds", by admitting that he's not imposing them for national security reasons.

It's still improbable that courts will step in and strike down the tariffs as illegal, but Trump has given them the grounds they need to do so, if they are so inclined.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But it sure gives impacted parties standing to sue.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:13 am But it sure gives impacted parties standing to sue.
Well, it doesn't really impact standing, but I wouldn't think that it would be difficult to produce plaintiffs with standing. Any business or individual that's paying out more money as a result of the tariffs would have standing.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:02 am Except it makes that case by pointing out that Putin won't allow any reasonable alternative and viciously goes after anyone who tries. Not with mean words but with poison, prison, or assisted suicides from the tops of buildings. Elections in Russia are just a show to give an appearance of choice where there is none. Russian elections are no more free than ones in Iran.
Rare point, Rip. At least until these next elections, we can blame our "leadership" on ourselves, not on oppression. Today all we have is fear that that the mechanization of continual autocratic kleptocracy are in place. It's more a statement of shame to be overcome than it is jack booted thugs determining our federal representation and law makers and executives. It's something to hang a hope on. For now I have no reason to doubt Russia meddled and the president is a treasonous rat who worked with them but I don't think they fixed the election. We just have too many thralls in a system that has corrupted to give them too much weight and their weight proved to be way too much when put up against a high distaste for Clinton. I'm clinging to "lesson learned" will save us.

Now when top democrats start falling out windows and getting poisoned and officials start are actively monitoring polls and ballots are moving into secretive areas controlled by partisan hackery that supports this administration without question, then we can talk.

My faith remains in Mueller.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 am It's still improbable that courts will step in and strike down the tariffs as illegal, but Trump has given them the grounds they need to do so, if they are so inclined.
I dunno. There is going to be shit storm over production stability and capital investments to make to counteract this. I'm no fan of the mulitnational corporatacrcy but you know damned well they're pissed off.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:11 am It's still improbable that courts will step in and strike down the tariffs as illegal, but Trump has given them the grounds they need to do so, if they are so inclined.
I dunno. There is going to be shit storm over production stability and capital investments to make to counteract this. I'm no fan of the mulitnational corporatacrcy but you know damned well they're pissed off.
The Koch brothers are also going to war against these tariffs, so that would also provide Republicans in Congress with an extra incentive and cover for actually doing something on this issue. Though I'm still not holding my breath.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Trump could shoot a trade agreement in the middle of Wall Street and not lose any voters.

Nothing matters anymore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am Though I'm still not holding my breath.
Me either but if "the People" don't turn on Trump, it's interesting to see if business does and what the results will be. Also if business doesn't, it will be interesting to see if "the People" change their minds as companies divest from capital commitments and the people it takes to manipulate that capital. Not trickling down is one matter. Not investing at all, well that's where Jobs jobs jobs provided business comes in to play. The line on the rising tides theory of economics here would be fascinating if it weren't the lives its about "disrupt".
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am
LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:29 am
The Koch brothers are also going to war against these tariffs, so that would also provide Republicans in Congress with an extra incentive and cover for actually doing something on this issue. Though I'm still not holding my breath.
it is only fair. Koch's monster is out of control. They should do their part.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am Though I'm still not holding my breath.
Me either but if "the People" don't turn on Trump, it's interesting to see if business does and what the results will be. Also if business doesn't, it will be interesting to see if "the People" change their minds as companies divest from capital commitments and the people it takes to manipulate that capital. Not trickling down is one matter. Not investing at all, well that's where Jobs jobs jobs provided business comes in to play. The line on the rising tides theory of economics here would be fascinating if it weren't the lives its about "disrupt".
As a whole I think there's maybe a 33% chance that the tariffs get gutted / reversed. Improbable, but not crazily so.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 am it is only fair. Koch's monster is out of control. They should do their part.
Weren't they wholeheartedly against Trump?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:20 am
malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 am it is only fair. Koch's monster is out of control. They should do their part.
I think in the primary, but I believe they happily supported him in the general.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am
I think in the primary, but I believe they happily supported him in the general.
This was my recollection as well. Soft #NeverTrump until it was inevitable. And they were pretty much aligned the whole first year of his Presidency.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:28 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 am
This was my recollection as well. Soft #NeverTrump until it was inevitable. And they were pretty much aligned the whole first year of his Presidency.
It's worth remembering that there was a faction of the GOP (the core conservative movement) that resisted Trump in the primary because they were uncertain of his conservative bona fides - his populism and history of supporting Democrats meant that it was easy to imagine him governing as a non-ideological populist. Once it became clear that that wasn't going to happen, they happily joined the Trump train. I think the Kochs were in that group.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup only a few cons were hardcore #NeverTrump. The rest were huge hypocrites.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am The Koch brothers are also going to war against these tariffs, so that would also provide Republicans in Congress with an extra incentive and cover for actually doing something on this issue. Though I'm still not holding my breath.
I had no idea but it makes sense. Especially wrgt Canada, where a lot the oil bread is buttered and with wrgt how retaliation will affect exports to Europe whom I am sure are thinking about broadening their reliance on OPEC and... Russia...

https://americansforprosperity.org/ahea ... d-tariffs/

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44385053

I also had no idea that this may be as much of a deal for the "the flyover states" as I insist it should be

Editorial insists that midwest republicans are feeling vulnerable to "the blue wave"

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2018/06/opinion061018

It's interesting, I'm beginning to hear the local 2018 political adds and the Red is pushing that they see 45 as visionary and how they will support his every move without question. Again this would all be so very :pop: if the consequences weren't so very real and vast and long lasting
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am Yup only a few cons were hardcore #NeverTrump. The rest were huge hypocrites.
The reason I am not venting my spleen about Cruz is because he's not president. If he was, I'd probably be just as obnoxious about him as I am about Drumpf, only I wouldn't know how lucky I was with Cruz because Drumpf would be on another timeline.

Cruz is a completely vile human being as well.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 am Yup only a few cons were hardcore #NeverTrump. The rest were huge hypocrites.
The reason I am not venting my spleen about Cruz is because he's not president. If he was, I'd probably be just as obnoxious about him as I am about Drumpf, only I wouldn't know how lucky I was with Cruz because Drumpf would be on another timeline.

Don't forget Pence.

I'm trying to make a list for you guys.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That it's so easy to find vile human beings within the GOP should be a warning sign, not a badge of honor. :mrgreen:

The GOP has been taken over by extremists, unfortunately. Hopefully they'll grow a pair and take back their party in the future though.
He won. Period.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

geezer

Post by geezer »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Don't forget Pence.

I'm trying to make a list for you guys.
As I said before, Cruz (and Pence) were hard right well before Trump. Again, it's not that every Republican is a wingnut ideologue, it's that the current base actually loves wingnut ideologues and keep putting them forward. So long as one major party caters to its worst element, they're going to be excoriated by those of us that are sensible.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

There is a special place in hell.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Cruz is a sniveling warthog that should be abhorrent to anyone no matter where they sit on the aisle. Pence is so far down the crazy bible hole he might as well be the Palin of churchgoers. Expecting him to have wide appeal is expecting hell to freeze over. Which is another problem of his. He thinks that can and will literally happen, and soon.

This whole thing is like serving your guests a plate full of feces, and when they complain, roll your eyes in frustration that there is no pleasing some people, then ask sarcastically if the glass of urine is not to their liking either.

The problem is the excrement, not that people don't like excrement.

Wanker.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Palin, oh yea.

That makes four.

Someone said McConnell but I don't ever recall him getting onto or talking about an executive branch run. Pretty sure he is happy right where he is.

That said if he di I am sure he would make the list like most any other Republican who has a snowball's chance in hell to win anything.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Rip wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm Palin, oh yea.

That makes four.

Someone said McConnell but I don't ever recall him getting onto or talking about an executive branch run. Pretty sure he is happy right where he is.

That said if he di I am sure he would make the list like most any other Republican who has a snowball's chance in hell to win anything.
How the hell can you like these people? From what you've expressed here, you can't find Pence appealing. For someone who isn't even religious you sure like theocrats. Cruz is a snivelling bootlicker, Trump is a grifter over his head and Palin is markedly subpar as seen in her disintegration over the last 8 years. What do you find appealing in any of these people?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

geezer wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:54 pm it's that the current base actually loves wingnut ideologues and keep putting them forward. So long as one major party caters to its worst element, they're going to be excoriated by those of us that are sensible.
*ding!*
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Rip

Post by Rip »

gbasden wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 pm

That makes four.

How the hell can you like these people? From what you've expressed here, you can't find Pence appealing. For someone who isn't even religious you sure like theocrats. Cruz is a snivelling bootlicker, Trump is a grifter over his head and Palin is markedly subpar as seen in her disintegration over the last 8 years. What do you find appealing in any of these people?
I am not saying I do. The point being I can't think of anyone I would accuse of being a fascist or that I would equate to Hitler etc. I have been told many times that it is a Trump thing so I am making a list that shows he is not the only one that would be treated that way. There are many politicians I dislike greatly but I wouldn't equate any of them to genocidal dictators or suggest they want to become genocidal dictators.

I would suggest anyone who does deserves to spend some time under the thumb of Hitler or Stalin because they are obviously detached from reality. The use of such tactics is a slap in the face to the millions and millions that died horrendous deaths as victims or battling to overcome such shitbags.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:46 am

That makes four.

I am not saying I do. The point being I can't think of anyone I would accuse of being a fascist or that I would equate to Hitler etc. I have been told many times that it is a Trump thing so I am making a list that shows he is not the only one that would be treated that way. There are many politicians I dislike greatly but I wouldn't equate any of them to genocidal dictators or suggest they want to become genocidal dictators.
This is the second time I’ve had to remind you of this. :wink:
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:38 am

That makes four.

This is the second time I’ve had to remind you of this. :wink:
Nice, one time I got hot under the collar and called Bloomberg a fascist. Note that was specifically about his comment that you could just decide to interpret the constitution differently.....not change it, just decide it means something different...because. Which is horseshit. If people want to change it fine, no issue with that although I would likely oppose it. Just waving a hand and deciding the meaning suddenly changed is silly, obtuse, and most importantly dangerous.

Still I was wrong to call him a fascist as he clearly falls well short of that.

Happy?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yes, you've admitted that you're a hypocrite with all the "ooh, you dems love calling everyone Hitler or a fascist, us conservatives don't do that!", so I'm happy. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:02 am Yes, you've admitted that you're a hypocrite with all the "ooh, you dems love calling everyone Hitler or a fascist, us conservatives don't do that!", so I'm happy. :mrgreen:
Glad you see me calling one politician a fascist one time as being equal to calling dozens of them that on a routine basis. Good to know.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Why are you guys talking about this stupid shit?

Every thread is about some stupid, point scoring, stupid shit "all of a sudden". This entire conversation about fascism took place and was over almost 2 years ago (or maybe it was last week. The point being it was over). What's changed that it needs to be rehashed today?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Fascism is a very specific term, and it's right to precise about it.

For instance, Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are fascists; Steve Mnuchin and Nikki Haley are not. Trump's Alt-Right supporters are fascist; the average Republican isn't. Putin and Kim and various right-wing Euro politicians supported by Trump are fascists; Xi Jinping isn't.

I don't believe Trump has crossed the line into "fascist" just yet. I'll settle for calling him a "xenophobe bigot with pathological narcissism who is utterly and completely unfit for public office or public trust."

Is that better?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Probably not. Because a minority used the words Hitler or Fascist for a president in the heat of the moment, Rip now believes he's justified in saying that most liberals and democrats on OO do so. It's all about moving the goalpost.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 am Probably not. Because a minority used the words Hitler or Fascist for a president in the heat of the moment, Rip now believes he's justified in saying that most liberals and democrats on OO do so. It's all about moving the goalpost.
As part of the minority. I have no problems with throwing these words around. Contrary to certain right wing entities who have been equivocating the left with Nazi socialism and communist Russia for years and years and years, Trump only earned the term after "both sides" even if he showed the tendencies before. Before "both sides" I was only willing to go far as supporting the idea of "Resist". After, well that changed the game.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Holman wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:41 am Fascism is a very specific term, and it's right to precise about it.

For instance, Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are fascists; Steve Mnuchin and Nikki Haley are not. Trump's Alt-Right supporters are fascist; the average Republican isn't. Putin and Kim and various right-wing Euro politicians supported by Trump are fascists; Xi Jinping isn't.

I don't believe Trump has crossed the line into "fascist" just yet. I'll settle for calling him a "xenophobe bigot with pathological narcissism who is utterly and completely unfit for public office or public trust."

Is that better?
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/23/ten ... -dictator/

He is working on it though.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Carpet_pissr

Trump Trade War

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Holman wrote:I'll settle for calling him a "xenophobe bigot with pathological narcissism who is utterly and completely unfit for public office or public trust."
You could add a soft “with fascist tendencies” at the end so as not to offend Rip, the newly formed snowflake.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I am not saying I do. The point being I can't think of anyone I would accuse of being a fascist or that I would equate to Hitler etc. I have been told many times that it is a Trump thing so I am making a list that shows he is not the only one that would be treated that way.
If you don't want to be compared to a fascist, don't cozy up with the alt-right. Besides, nobody is comparing Palin or Cruz equivalent to Hitler. And Pence is much closer to a theocrat than a strongman.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gbasden wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 pm

I am not saying I do. The point being I can't think of anyone I would accuse of being a fascist or that I would equate to Hitler etc. I have been told many times that it is a Trump thing so I am making a list that shows he is not the only one that would be treated that way.
If you don't want to be compared to a fascist, don't cozy up with the alt-right. Besides, nobody is comparing Palin or Cruz equivalent to Hitler. And Pence is much closer to a theocrat than a strongman.

That is only because they aren't in the White House. The moment they were they would become Hitler incarnate to a shocking number of people. The only thing necessary in the case of Pence is for Trump to keel over.