Trump Trade War

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Trump Trade War

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:26 am
Rip wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:56 pm Because it is in their interest to. The Chinese react to leverage. It is inherent to everything they do. That is why they like to negotiate one on one with countries. So they can exert leverage.
Psychlos. You're thinking of Psychlos.
I was too subtle? I was going for subtle.

In any case leverage is only one of the tools of a good negotiator. Sometimes the simplest and most hamfisted one. I'm not surprised to see the master negotiator using it or his followers nodding sagely at its use.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I see it now, but missed the connection the first time around.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm
Fitzy wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am
Hypothetically assuming you are correct about the leverage, wouldn’t that be based on the effect of the tariffs on each countries population? So wouldn’t the Chinese have more leverage because increased prices will cause more dissatisfaction here than in China? Each job loss here will be reported heavily and felt heavily, whereas in China I would think they will be ignored or the people can be forceably reassigned. Or are you suggesting that China is more open to public pressure than reported?

Add to that, that Trump isn’t just fighting with China, he tossed in most of the rest of the wealthy countries, so we have the effects of multiple tariffs, across multiple sectors, hitting multiple people.

I’m just not seeing where this leverage is coming from.
Devil's advocate: China has a smaller economy than the US and exports more to the US than the US exports to China. Therefore the tariffs affect a bigger share of China's economy than ours, leaving aside the effect on consumer prices.

Trade is multilateral, and China is not starting fights all over the world. In the medium to long term, they can find other customers for their goods, especially if the US continues to alienate its most important trading partners. In the short term, though losing US exports will hurt China more, and Xi can't tolerate much of that in light of an already-slowing economy. So: short-term advantage goes to the US, insofar as anybody benefits from trade wars.
I don’t know the answer, but how much of the trade being hit with tariffs is actually US companies? Or, how much will American companies absorb the loss in order to maintain marketshare while waiting out the trade war. If they would do so. If they are willing to try to wait out, does that change the short-term outlook? With Trump going after China and the EU it seems they could develop a warmer relationship, but maybe they are incompatible for further development. The TPP was supposed to help keep China in check, but we walked away from that.

It wouldn’t surprise me if both sides announce an agreement to end the new tariffs, Trump declares victory even though the original issues that led to the tariffs were never addressed. Nothing like solving a crisis you make to get the base fired up.
Rip wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:13 am
No, in the end they don't give a shit about the people.
Yeah, that was basically what I was arguing, that they can absorb far more damage to their people than we would tolerate here which would seem to eliminate our leverage.
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am
The DOW has fallen 700 points in two days and it's being blamed (rightly or wrongly) on tariff worries. I don't think we're going to have to worry about the toilet paper metaphor for pushback.
Meh, the DOW is a short-term pain, loss of $.99 toilet paper is forever!

No, I think you’re right, if I’m reading correctly. I gave too much power to the people, but corporations will react much quicker if profits and their stock drop quickly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After 110 years GE is dropped from Dow Jones

Bus riders told they must be US citizens to ride bus

How long before we stand in line for our commie Trump card so we can stand in line for toilet paper near the Politburo?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:00 pm After 110 years GE is dropped from Dow Jones

Bus riders told they must be US citizens to ride bus

How long before we stand in line for our commie Trump card so we can stand in line for toilet paper near the Politburo?
Perhaps I'm just being ignorant, but the strongest connection I can make between those two links are that they are both blue.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Like most things Trump, his current initiative is mired in ignorance and incompetence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 2b7b884729
Swamped by a flood of applications — more than four times the number initially expected — Commerce Department officials have cobbled together a team of employees and outside contractors with varying levels of technical expertise to review the waiver requests, according to a senior department official.

The evaluators — including trainees with limited experience in complex steel and aluminum markets — have found the subject matter confusing. Some industry executives and department officials expect that the overworked reviewers probably will approve applications that no domestic metals producer contests and reject the roughly one-third that draw objections — whatever their technical merits.

“It’s going to be so unbelievably random, and some companies are going to get screwed,” the senior Commerce Department official said. “These people are making multibillion-dollar, unbelievably uninformed decisions.”

Only metal products that are unavailable from U.S. producers are eligible for the waivers.

The first decisions will be released as soon as this week, said James Rockas, the Commerce Department’s deputy director of public affairs.

Officials have promised to issue decisions within 90 days, but that doesn’t include the month it can take to acknowledge applications on a government website.

The staffing issues cap a cumbersome process that is adding red tape to U.S. manufacturing even as the Trump administration boasts of its deregulation efforts.

The process also will increase manufacturers’ costs. If their waiver bids are rejected, companies will either buy from more expensive U.S. mills or pay the import tax to keep using their current material.

Following a three-hour crash course, evaluators are assigned to review five-page Excel spreadsheet applications from U.S. manufacturers containing detailed descriptions of steel and aluminum products that applicants say cannot be acquired from domestic producers. At issue are metals used to produce auto parts, oil and gas pipelines, factory tooling and other items used through the economy.

Companies must specify the type of metal — including its 10-digit tariff code, chemical composition, finish, strength and dimensions — and explain their efforts to obtain it from domestic sources. Inside Commerce — and among the roughly 300 companies so far that have requested exclusions — there are doubts about the evaluators’ ability to render timely and accurate decisions.

“Knowledge of the market is a lifelong pursuit,” said Lewis ­Leibowitz, a Washington attorney who represents several applicants. “There are thousands and thousands of different steel products and specifications. . . . Three hours won’t do it.”

The department declined to specify the number of individuals assigned to review exclusion requests, calling it a “Commerce-wide effort.

Congress has approved shifting $1 million from other programs to fund this year’s reviews, and officials are confident the evaluators have sufficient technical expertise, Rockas said.

The department also plans to hire an unknown number of additional contractors to help, but it will take time to bring them on board.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Something something picking winners and losers.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chinese investments in the US are now down 92% to a little over $1 billion now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:56 pm Chinese investments in the US are now down 92% to a little over $1 billion now.
CNBC
Chinese acquisitions and investments in the U.S. fell 92 percent to just $1.8 billion in the first five months of this year, consulting and research firm Rhodium Group said Tuesday.

Counting divestitures, net Chinese deal flow to the U.S. during that time was a negative $7.8 billion, the report said.
But now, China wants to limit capital flight and excessive leverage. The U.S. is worried about intellectual property protection and has increased scrutiny of deals on the basis of national security. The Trump administration has also threatened restrictions on investment based on a "Section 301" investigation, the same study that led to the latest tariff announcements.

As a result, acquisitions worth more than $2 billion in the first five months of this year have fallen apart, Rhodium Group's Thilo Hanemann said. They include Alibaba-affiliate Ant Financial's proposed merger with MoneyGram, HNA's plans to acquire Anthony Scaramucci's SkyBridge Capital and China-backed fund Sino IC Capital's efforts to buy semiconductor testing company Xcerra.
To be sure, the figures on annual changes are small compared with aggregate foreign direct investment in the last two decades and do not contribute much to gross domestic product.

New U.S. tariffs could also give Chinese manufacturers the incentive to produce in America, the Rhodium report pointed out.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

They can't keep that up for long. They'll fold long before you guys do. They *need* you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

One Belt, One Road.

No Boats.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Sigh.

Hodor.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:56 am Sigh.
Boy, it's almost like economists are right in saying trade wars inevitably escalate and end up hurting everyone.

Anecdotally I live on the very south end of KC and work in city that's a local agricultural hub, and I've started to see that faintest hints of worry among the old farming Trumpers I see in the local bars.

A few years ago they built a huge rail intermodal in a nearby town, so now all these guys have to do is bring a load of soybeans or pork or whatever to the intermodal, and it's whisked away to end up in largely China. They're starting to see prices drop and the money they were getting for the international trading system dry up.

They may be Trumpers at heart, but there's a direct line from Drumpf's tariff to the problems they are starting to see, and I think it might have an effect.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Harley to move some production out of US due to new EU tarrifs. Somehow they couldn't just increase their prices 20% to account for it. They aren't a true american company and should be boycotted! This whole thing is going to get really ugly really quick.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/25/news/co ... index.html
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is a nobrainer for Harley. They've probably wanted to shift some production but the IRR numbers were all wrong. A 20% cost adjustment makes that super easy to justify now and those jobs will ever come back once the lines are spun up there.

Trump is lucky that his deplorables are far too idiotic to draw the line between cause and effect. Even after Harley literally says this is the reason.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Who can afford a brand new Harley already?

Not Drumpf's base, that's for sure. Low education white men hoping to keep coal alive for another few years aren't going to get a second mortgage just to buy new.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jun 25, 2018 04:28:06 PM Surprised that Harley-Davidson, of all companies, would be the first to wave the White Flag. I fought hard for them and ultimately they will not pay tariffs selling into the E.U., which has hurt us badly on trade, down $151 Billion. Taxes just a Harley excuse - be patient! #MAGA

Jun 26, 2018 06:16:36 AM Early this year Harley-Davidson said they would move much of their plant operations in Kansas City to Thailand. That was long before Tariffs were announced. Hence, they were just using Tariffs/Trade War as an excuse. Shows how unbalanced & unfair trade is, but we will fix it.....

Jun 26, 2018 06:37:51 AM ....When I had Harley-Davidson officials over to the White House, I chided them about tariffs in other countries, like India, being too high. Companies are now coming back to America. Harley must know that they won’t be able to sell back into U.S. without paying a big tax!

Jun 26, 2018 07:17:49 AM A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Where does great and powerful orange one even get they are moving to Thailand and using Tariffs as an excuse?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/25/harley- ... arket.html
Getty Images

Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. said on Thursday it will build a plant in Thailand, a major Asian automotive hub, to serve the growing Southeast Asian market, a move criticized by a U.S. labor union.

The company did not give a figure for the planned investment in Thailand's Rayong province, southeast of Bangkok.

Katie Whitmore, Harley-Davidson public relations manager, said the company had its best results in Asia-Pacific in 2016, though she gave no numbers.

The Thailand facility "will allow us to be more responsive and competitive in the Asean region and China," Harley-Davidson public relations manager Katie Whitmore said.

"Increased access and affordability for our customers in the region is key to growth for the company in total," she said. "There is no intent to reduce H-D U.S. manufacturing due to this expansion."
What you have is a plant that can sell to the EU cheaper to sustain sales tariffs go up after it was already being built to serve and Asian market. Such a great businessman but its only great business when he does it and he puts his trading partners out of business with legal fees and reorganization bankruptcies.

Such a detestable human being.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So much winning:

A Harley-Davidson should never be built in another country-never! Their employees and customers are already very angry at them. If they move, watch, it will be the beginning of the end - they surrendered, they quit! The Aura will be gone and they will be taxed like never before!
Hodor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Take that, American manufacturing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Biz Journals
Harley-Davidson Inc. has received approval to assemble motorcycles in Brazil. The Milwaukee company will import its U.S.-made components for assembly in Manaus, Brazil, an economic free-trade zone for motorcycle manufacturing and other industries. ... The final assembly operation will be a joint venture between Harley-Davidson Motor Co. and Paulo Izzo, Harley-Davidson's representative in Brazil. Harley-Davidson will maintain a majority interest in the venture.
Spoiler:
Harley-Davidson expects to begin assembling selected models of its motorcycles in Brazil in 1999. ... In 1997, Harley-Davidson made 132,285 motorcycles, but exported only 600 to Brazil.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I liked this one better.

....When I had Harley-Davidson officials over to the White House, I chided them about tariffs in other countries, like India, being too high. Companies are now coming back to America. Harley must know that they won’t be able to sell back into U.S. without paying a big tax!
How he manages to pack so much stupid and just flat-out wrong into a couple sentences is truly quite amazing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, the idea that a vehicle manufacturer is going to move a factory overseas for domestic sales is patently ridiculous.

Wiki
Harley-Davidson manufactures its motorcycles at factories in York, Pennsylvania; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Kansas City, Missouri (closing); Manaus, Brazil; and Bawal, India.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's like companies are only allowed to operate within the continental united states and any venturing beyond the borders is treason.

I hate this guy so very, very much.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

GreenGoo wrote:It's like companies are only allowed to operate within the continental united states and any venturing beyond the borders is treason.

Only the ones who call him out by name. Keep your head down and he doesn't care.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:48 am It's like companies are only allowed to operate within the continental united states and any venturing beyond the borders is treason.

Trump like loyalty above all else. Loyalty to him or the country? Well... Let's let the investigation take its course....
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 pm Who can afford a brand new Harley already?

Not Drumpf's base, that's for sure. Low education white men hoping to keep coal alive for another few years aren't going to get a second mortgage just to buy new.
They drive $75K pickups towing $20K boats. Why can't they ride a $9K bike?

It's dangerous to write-off the base.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 am
I refute this statement. Unless we're confused about who his base is, there seems little chance that coal country supports $100k worth of toys in addition to a mortgage and food. Unless the truck can be written off somehow, and if it can, can the harley as well?

If coal country, the absence of manufacturing jobs country and general low education employment country can afford all these things already, WTF have they been complaining about all this time for anyway? Do they want TWO $75k trucks?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:25 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:20 am
I refute this statement. Unless we're confused about who his base is, there seems little chance that coal country supports $100k worth of toys in addition to a mortgage and food. Unless the truck can be written off somehow, and if it can, can the harley as well?

If coal country, the absence of manufacturing jobs country and general low education employment country can afford all these things already, WTF have they been complaining about all this time for anyway? Do they want TWO $75k trucks?
For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that only a third of Trump supporters had household incomes at or below the national median of about $50,000. Another third made $50,000 to $100,000, and another third made $100,000 or more and that was true even when we limited the analysis to only non-Hispanic whites. If being working class means being in the bottom half of the income distribution, the vast majority of Trump supporters during the primaries were not working class.

To look at it another way, among white people without college degrees who voted for Trump, nearly 60 percent were in the top half of the income distribution. In fact, one in five white Trump voters without a college degree had a household income over $100,000.

Observers have often used the education gap to conjure images of poor people flocking to Trump, but the truth is, many of the people without college degrees who voted for Trump were from middle- and high-income households. That’s the basic problem with using education to measure the working class.

In short, the narrative that attributes Trump’s victory to a “coalition of mostly blue-collar white and working-class voters” just doesn’t square with the 2016 election data.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am
For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that having money didn't make you a better person, and being poor doesn't automatically make you deplorable.
FTFY.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:35 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am
For example, a March 2016 NBC survey that we analyzed showed that having money didn't make you a better person, and being poor doesn't automatically make you deplorable.
FTFY.
Yeah, expanded quote to support that point.

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Then wtf are they complaining about? Why do they give two shits about washers and dryers being manufactured in America if they are employed and make more than most Americans?

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Worse, how can low education people make more than the average american, assuming high education people are included in these numbers? Isgrim's reports on employment SHOW that low education is a sure way to less employment.

Honestly Lawbeef, something doesn't add up, but I'm not sure what it is.

How do you make six figures in America without a college education? Obviously I can think of examples, but we're talking whole swathes of people, not just the occasional outlier.

That poll implies that there are $50k (assuming 2 person households) jobs just waiting around for uneducated people to apply to. How is that possible? What fields are they in? If education is not a barrier to a good paying job, WTF is the problem that the GOP base have been complaining about? I don't get it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 amHonestly Lawbeef, something doesn't add up, but I'm not sure what it is.

How do you make six figures in America without a college education?
My first guess is "Unions"

You can make sick money, get a high feeling of entitlement, and bitch really loud if anyone rattles your income brackets even a little bit.
Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There aren't that many unions left in manufacturing. Teachers unions are still a powerful thing in some places, but teaching requires a HIGHER than average amount of education, not less.

It's a good guess though, and maybe you're right in certain locations.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've always heard that the guys leaning on "Stop" signs at roadside construction sites can earn $20+ an hour. Maybe they're the problem.

I honestly don't know. Polling data is always suspect in my mind. Do we know more about the poll? Regions, demographics, sample sizes, how many people refused?
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BLS: Weekly earnings by educational attainment in first quarter 2016
Full-time workers age 25 and older without a high school diploma had median weekly earnings of $494 in the first quarter of 2016. That compares with a median of $679 for high school graduates who never attended college and $782 for workers with some college or an associate degree. Median weekly earnings were $1,155 for workers with a bachelor's degree and $1,435 for workers with an advanced degree—a master’s, professional, or doctoral degree.

That puts 90th percentile for Men with a HS diploma, no college at $80,288/year.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Paingod wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:48 am
GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 amHonestly Lawbeef, something doesn't add up, but I'm not sure what it is.

You can make sick money, get a high feeling of entitlement, and bitch really loud if anyone rattles your income brackets even a little bit.
My first thought was tradesmen. Plumbers, welders, electricians, and carpenters all make phat loot.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:43 am Then wtf are they complaining about? Why do they give two shits about washers and dryers being manufactured in America if they are employed and make more than most Americans?

It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Worse, how can low education people make more than the average american, assuming high education people are included in these numbers? Isgrim's reports on employment SHOW that low education is a sure way to less employment.

Honestly Lawbeef, something doesn't add up, but I'm not sure what it is.

How do you make six figures in America without a college education? Obviously I can think of examples, but we're talking whole swathes of people, not just the occasional outlier.

That poll implies that there are $50k (assuming 2 person households) jobs just waiting around for uneducated people to apply to. How is that possible? What fields are they in? If education is not a barrier to a good paying job, WTF is the problem that the GOP base have been complaining about? I don't get it.
I don't have a college degree and have earned over $300K one year. Lack of a college degree != uneducated. I have enough technical certification to line an entire wall with. I know dozenss of people who make $100K or more by themselves and few of them have degrees.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/10/news/ec ... /index.htm
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Anecdotes are anecdotal.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 pm

My first thought was tradesmen. Plumbers, welders, electricians, and carpenters all make phat loot.
Similarly, professions like long-haul truck drivers have paid comparatively well (although those salaries have been falling in the past few years). Also, many oil and gas rig jobs are "unskilled" in that you can start out without any formal education and can work your way up to 6 figures.

I used to know a guy who was a programming genius - never graduated college but made a lot of money. So I'm sure there are computer prodigies, entrepreneurs, etc. out there who skew the numbers somewhat. But this category is more of an exception than a rule.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

gilraen wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:23 pm
Kraken wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:01 pm

Similarly, professions like long-haul truck drivers have paid comparatively well (although those salaries have been falling in the past few years). Also, many oil and gas rig jobs are "unskilled" in that you can start out without any formal education and can work your way up to 6 figures.

I used to know a guy who was a programming genius - never graduated college but made a lot of money. So I'm sure there are computer prodigies, entrepreneurs, etc. out there who skew the numbers somewhat. But this category is more of an exception than a rule.

Plumbers, welders, electricians, carpenters, long hall truck drivers — all unionized professions. Even independent contractors and workers in non-union shops see their wages rise when their professions are broadly unionized. The decline of the share of economic growth going to the middle and working class began to drop at exactly the same time that private sector unions began their precipitous fall. If we want better pay for workers, we need stronger unions.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)