Fundraising for 2019/2020: 12 Month renewal is up Oct 21/2019. $1337.51 USD of roughly $1700 USD (CDN conversion) as of Sept 1/2019. Paypal Donation Link Here

Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Post Reply
User avatar
Grifman
Posts: 18116
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:17 pm

Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Grifman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:52 pm

I don't think this story is going to end very soon, and Trump has a number of ongoing issues with women, so I again, I thought it would be good to have a separate thread forTrump and various women that he does not know :) So this is the catch all thread for all things Trump and women. Let's start out with a classic sung by Lena Horne:
Don't know why
There's no sun up in the sky
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps rainin' all the time
Life is bare
Gloom and misery everywhere
Stormy weather
Just can't get my poor self together
I'm weary all the time, the time
So weary all the time
When he went away, the blues walked in and met me
If he stays away, old rocking chair will get me
All I do is pray the Lord above will let me
Walk in the sun once more
Can't go on
All I have in life is gone
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps rainin' all the time
Keeps rainin' all the time
I walk around, heavy-hearted and sad
Night comes around, I'm still feelin' bad
Rain pourin' down, blindin' every hope I had
This pitterin', patterin', beatin' and spatterin' drives me mad
Love, love, love, love
This misery is just too much for me
Can't go on
Everything I had is gone
Stormy weather
Since my man and I ain't together
Keeps rainin' all the time
Keeps rainin' all the time
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton

User avatar
Moliere
Posts: 12007
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:57 am
Location: Walking through a desert land

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Moliere » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm

TTIWWP
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow

User avatar
Carpet_pissr
Posts: 14019
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:32 pm
Location: Columbia, SC

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Carpet_pissr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Moliere wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:07 pm
TTIWWP
Image

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38615
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by hepcat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:20 pm

Oh man, two buttons down on the shirt. That's Fun Donald!
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
Defiant
Posts: 17894
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:09 pm
Location: Tongue in cheek

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Defiant » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:42 pm

Let's start out with a classic sung by Lena Horne:

User avatar
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator
Posts: 46502
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm
Location: Urbs in Horto, where we only use the old smilies

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by LawBeefaroni » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 pm

I was thinking a different song was more appropriate.

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT

User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by em2nought » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Someone who has slept with a porn star has finally cracked the glass ceiling. I could run for president. :wink: You'd think liberals would applaud? :tjg:
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21278
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Holman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Liberals don't care that it was a porn star. They care about the lying and the cover-ups that are the defining pattern of this administration in every area.

What's fun is the social conservatives (who by definition MUST care that it was porn/infidelity/ungodliness) bending over backwards to pretend that none of it happened over and over and over and over.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Fitzy
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Fitzy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm

Holman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 pm
Liberals don't care that it was a porn star. They care about the lying and the cover-ups that are the defining pattern of this administration in every area.

What's fun is the social conservatives (who by definition MUST care that it was porn/infidelity/ungodliness) bending over backwards to pretend that none of it happened over and over and over and over.

I hate to do this, but I need to ask, because I'm honestly curious. How is this any different than Bill Clinton who liberals have supported for over two decades now? Clinton did everything possible to lie and coverup his affair(s).

I am aware there is a hypocrisy issue on the right it's blatant and I think many are embarrassed, but going for it anyway. I'm starting to wonder if support of Clinton led to Trump. And I count myself among those supporters. I dismissed the scandals at the time as nothing but hot air.

Also, I'm not supporting em2nought's comment. What he said was ludicrous as the issue is obviously not the sex, but the coverup. He's trolling. It has nothing to do with her being a porn star. And his cracked the glass ceiling joke is offensive, period. Porn stars are people like everyone else and deserve to treated as more than the punch line of a joke. I don't expect any thing more from him though.

I'm trying to figure out what to think about the similarities between Trump and Clinton. They disturb me. Trump is starting to seem like a bad, much less refined version of Bill Clinton. Should my general support of Clinton's policies allow me to sidestep Clinton's personal failings, while attacking Trump's? I don't know anymore.

User avatar
Kraken
Posts: 34237
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:59 pm
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Contact:
Kraken’s avatar
Offline

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Kraken » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:20 pm

Fitzy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm
I dismissed the scandals at the time as nothing but hot air.
Ah yes, "bimbo eruptions." That phrase by itself reflects how seriously we took them.

It was pretty widely known that Clinton was a slimeball. I didn't like him at all on a visceral level. I think many of us were willing to roll our eyes and tolerate boorish behavior because other than that, he was a pretty good president. And there really was a "vast right-wing conspiracy" to bring him down, so it was hard to know what was truth and what was fake news. Lying to Congress under oath was another matter. He deserved to go down for that.

I hate Trump far more than I hated Clinton, and he's not a good president by any measure. He commits three impeachable offenses before breakfast every day, and yet there are no consequences. As soon as his crimes can be proven he deserves to go down, too. All the way to Leavenworth, since treason is a lot more serious than perjury.

Trump's character is so low that his "bimbo eruptions" would scarcely merit mention if we weren't living in a time when such accusations routinely bring other men down.

User avatar
YellowKing
Posts: 25503
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:02 pm

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by YellowKing » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:25 pm

Fitzy wrote:I hate to do this, but I need to ask, because I'm honestly curious. How is this any different than Bill Clinton who liberals have supported for over two decades now? Clinton did everything possible to lie and coverup his affair(s).
They're both sleazebags, but it's a bit of a stretch to ask Democrats to "behave themselves" in this situation when Trump himself was ridiculing Clinton's affairs during the debate and trotting out Clinton's ex-mistresses in front of Hillary.

The GOP tried to impeach Clinton over it. The Democrats are just pointing out the news articles. It's not even remotely the same level of outrage.

I think there's also an added layer of hypocrisy in that the GOP is the evangelical party which is supposedly so without sin and family values, etc. The same party down in Florida who was passing anti-porn bills is actively defending a President who cheated on his wife and banged a porn star.

User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by em2nought » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 am

Fitzy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm
And his cracked the glass ceiling joke is offensive, period. Porn stars are people like everyone else and deserve to treated as more than the punch line of a joke. I don't expect any thing more from him though.
Maybe you need a safe space? Even with being a fi$cal conservative I treat porn stars very well thank you. :mrgreen:
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:50 am

Hah ha! I'm contributing!

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13776
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Zarathud » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 am

Clinton didn't pay Monica to be quiet in a shady deal during the campaign. He didn't brag about sexual assault. He didn't have the backing of religious fundamentalists willing to sell their soul. His party didn't have a history of trying to tarnish the other as "immoral" and against "family values." Bill had Hillary's public support, not nonverbal hostility. He didn't lie about everything naturally.

Clinton's philandering was a character flaw, not a feature.

But, you know, both sides. :roll: That level of self-delusion is inconceivable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Fitzy
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Fitzy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am

Zarathud wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 am
Clinton didn't pay Monica to be quiet in a shady deal during the campaign. He didn't brag about sexual assault. He didn't have the backing of religious fundamentalists willing to sell their soul. His party didn't have a history of trying to tarnish the other as "immoral" and against "family values." Bill had Hillary's public support, not nonverbal hostility. He didn't lie about everything naturally.

Clinton's philandering was a character flaw, not a feature.

But, you know, both sides. :roll: That level of self-delusion is inconceivable.
Bill Clinton went on national television and with the power of the presidency behind him, said he did not have sex with Monica Lewinsky. His reputation is Slick Willy. He didn't get that on a slip and slide. He used the truth and twisted it to serve him. He's no where near as bad as Trump, but he is a liar.

Democrats were supposed to be the party of women. They were supposed to be the party that protected the equality of women. The power difference between Clinton and Lewinsky was enough that for any other person there would have been, correctly, questions of sexual harassment at best and even rape. The Democrats let Clinton off and even defended him. How is that not hypocrisy? Is it equal to the family values hypocrisy? I don't know. It's certainly parallel though. So don't try to pretend the Democrats have some moral high ground without standing up and acknowledging the mistakes the party made with Clinton. There might be daylight between what the Democrats did and what the Republicans did, but I'm not convinced it's all that much.

I am questioning and drawing comparisons to Clinton, not to defend Trump, but to understand how we got here and to make certain that my own biases against Trump are not overwhelming my judgement. I'd consider that the opposite of self-delusion. Trying to understand both sides isn't a bad thing. It's the best way to understand your own positions better.
em2nought wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 am

Maybe you need a safe space? Even with being a fi$cal conservative I treat porn stars very well thank you. :mrgreen:
I don't need a safe space, I will engage with anyone who can contribute to my understanding and I will happily discuss issues with people whom I disagree with just to keep myself on my toes. You don't qualify. You throw out racists and sexist jokes and laugh as if you said something deep. You didn't. On the scale of discourse yours is underneath it. In the dirt. If your only response is "safe space" or "snowflake", you've already exited the debate.

I make mistakes all the time. I'm wrong often. I often say things that get misunderstood and get accused of being on the side I'm not. Yet I still work to avoid your level. I'm aware that even responding to you is ridiculous, yet I make the attempt to see if anything can get through. Trolls are my windmill.

User avatar
msteelers
Posts: 6304
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Contact:

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by msteelers » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:15 am

Defending Clinton in the era of #metoo and #timesup is impossible. But things were totally different 25 years ago. Issues like this weren’t seen as an abuse of power. The vast majority of the country viewed Clinton’s affairs as a private matter. That’s why nobody cared about the perjury, except for Republicans who would do anything to get Clinton out of office.

Nowadays, people look at Clinton in a different light. And that’s a good thing.

As for Trump, his affair with Stormy Daniels just highlights what a piece of human garbage he really is. It has no bearing on how terrible of a President he is, and he isn’t at risk of getting impeached over it.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21278
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Holman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:28 am

Clinton's sexual behavior and lying about it were an embarrassment. They were easily the worst thing about him.

Nothing about Clinton approaches the shame, ineptitude, criminality, and likely treason that Trump has brought to the office. Trump's faults eclipse Clinton's by hundreds and hundreds of times. There is no comparison, and claiming equivalence is rankest idiot WhatAboutism.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by em2nought » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 am

Fitzy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am
Trolls are my windmill.
Ok, Cervantes. lol Now y'all have dragged poor old Bill into the thread. Someone will probably attribute it to me, just like much is attributed to me here. My windmill is much harder to overcome than yours. :wink: ...and I admit some of what I say is questionable, but then I'm not running for office or anything. I still have a right to speak and won't be talked over just because someone wants to call me a "nazi" or something similar. I've never portrayed myself as "religious", I am first and last a fi$cal conservative. :horse:
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21278
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Holman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:14 am

Something I just saw noted for the first time: the question of Donald and Melania's pre-nup.

Most pre-nups have an infidelity clause, and the usual ones might allow Melania to walk away with half of what Trump is worth if they divorce.

Was Melania dumb enough (or Trump intimidating enough) to forego a pre-nup, or to enter into one without such a clause? Did she have lawyers of her own, or was she completely at Trump's mercy?

When all of this comes out, I'm not even sure which scenario will look worse for him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Skinypupy
Posts: 13472
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 am
Location: Pac-12 Country

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Skinypupy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 am

em2nought wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 am
I am first and last a fi$cal conservative.
Then you must be absolutely livid at how Trump and his friends are exploding the deficit.
“Don’t tickle the wall clown.” - MST3K

User avatar
Jag
Posts: 14080
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: SoFla
Jag’s avatar
Loading…

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Jag » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:17 am

So that contract with Stormy, Trump and Cohen? DD, PP and moron, respectively.

I'll let Ken Adams, a contract drafting guru explain. He did a quick analysis of part of the agreement from a contract drafting perspective, not a legal one.

His conclusion?

The Stormy Daniels Contract Is a Dumpster Fire
I can confidently say it’s the most flamboyantly dreadful contract I can recall seeing. Trust me, I’ve read my share of bad contracts, but bad business contracts tend to relentlessly repeat standard forms of dysfunction. By contrast, on display in the Stormy Daniels contract are myriad standard and wildly original forms of suboptimal prose and layout. It’s a dumpster fire.
It's every contract drafting lawyer's worst nightmare to have your agreements torn apart in court, but we do get a certain glee seeing it happen to shitstains that deserve it.

A few examples (don't want to steal his content)
Why is the first page given the page number zero?
Hey, let’s misspell nondisparagement in the title!
Why are the introductory clause and the recitals presented as if they were part of the body of the contract?
The recitals appear to contain obligations. That’s not what recitals are for.
The contract is full of idiosyncractic blather such as “This Agreement is entered into with reference to the facts and circumstances in the following recitals.” Recitals do what they do: they don’t require any fanfare.
Similarly pointless and idiosyncratic is “the Parties adopt the foregoing recitals as a statement of their intent.”
The heading 3.0 should be followed by section 3.1. Instead it’s followed by the heading 3.0.1.1. That’s like no multiple-numeration scheme I’ve ever encountered.
Everything under 3.0 and before 3.1 uses hanging indents. The rest of the contract uses first-line indents. WTF.

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21278
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Holman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:26 am

It's hard to format a legal document correctly while someone is spanking your ass with it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
em2nought
Posts: 3508
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:48 am

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by em2nought » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:42 am

Skinypupy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:04 am
em2nought wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:46 am
I am first and last a fi$cal conservative.
Then you must be absolutely livid at how Trump and his friends are exploding the deficit.
I do not like deficits period.
Waiting for the tide to bring me a sail.

User avatar
Blackhawk
Posts: 26845
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:48 pm
Location: Southwest Indiana
Contact:
Blackhawk’s avatar
Offline

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Blackhawk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm

In addition to it being a different era, the Democrats defended Clinton and they questioned impeachment.

What they didn't do, after the evidence was made clear, was deny the existence of the event by putting their fingers in their ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA!"
[This space left intentionally blank.]

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13776
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Zarathud » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Holman wrote:Most pre-nups have an infidelity clause, and the usual ones might allow Melania to walk away with half of what Trump is worth if they divorce.
Not correct. There is no way Trump agrees to a fidelity provision, and no way he agrees to give Melania half of anything after Ivanna. I would expect she gets a payment based on term of marriage.
Holman wrote:Was Melania dumb enough (or Trump intimidating enough) to forego a pre-nup, or to enter into one without such a clause? Did she have lawyers of her own, or was she completely at Trump's mercy?
Trump certainly has a prenup after Ivanna. Melania would have lawyers so that it would be effective but at the end of the day there's a business component to the prenup. Trump's main success seems to be getting away with ridiculous terms in business contracts and using his wealth to screw over others in contract disputes.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Holman
Posts: 21278
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:00 pm
Location: Approximately Wissahickon

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Holman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm

You're probably right.

How awful it must be to be Melania.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13776
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Zarathud » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm

She made her bed and has to lie in it (for the money). I expect one day Melania will write a tell-all book after she's free from Trump,
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
Fitzy
Posts: 2030
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:15 pm
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Fitzy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:24 pm

Blackhawk wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm
In addition to it being a different era, the Democrats defended Clinton and they questioned impeachment.

What they didn't do, after the evidence was made clear, was deny the existence of the event by putting their fingers in their ears and going "LA LA LA LA LA!"
I don't fully agree with the different era, we were well past the boss/intern sex = bad stage in the 90s. Even if it wasn't at the level of today. The rest of your statement is a good explanation. I don't think any Democrat said it was ok, just that it didn't reach impeachment level. That said, I do think that defense and the Republicans prosecution, greatly accelerated the tribalism we are building towards today. Neither side based their defense or prosecution on justice or what was best for the country, but only on the person.
Holman wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:28 am
Clinton's sexual behavior and lying about it were an embarrassment. They were easily the worst thing about him.

Nothing about Clinton approaches the shame, ineptitude, criminality, and likely treason that Trump has brought to the office. Trump's faults eclipse Clinton's by hundreds and hundreds of times. There is no comparison, and claiming equivalence is rankest idiot WhatAboutism.
I believe that Clinton's lying and sexual behavior opened the door for Trump. I don't believe their overall behavior is equivalent. Nor do I equate Clinton's presidency to Trump's. Trump is certainly in the top 3 worst president's and only not starting a civil war (yet) keeps me from saying he is absolutely the worst. I could certainly phrase things better, but questioning is not a bad thing.

I will never support the idea that asking questions, comparing behaviors and holding our leaders to a high standard is "whataboutism" or supporting Trump/republicans/badguyoftheday.

We have to question our leaders. We have to hold them to the highest standards. Period. Even when Trump is in office. We should demand nothing less than the honest service of office holders. Giving unwavering support based on opposition to a person is only going to lead to a race to who we want as our authoritarian leader, the left or the right.

User avatar
Zarathud
Posts: 13776
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Zarathud » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:46 pm

You MIGHT have a point if Trump was elected as a Democrat. But Trump was nominated and supported by the same Republican party who crusaded against Bill Clinton and hated Hillary Clinton to the point of believing ridiculous Russian propaganda. Who show zero outrage about (or even celebrate) Trump's behavior.

Trump exists because of dysfunctional Republicans, not Clinton. The discussion searches for a way, somehow, for this to be Bill Clinton's fault. Or maybe Obama.

Anyway, the Democrats saw John Edwards prosecuted in 2011 (during Obama) for misuse of political funds to cover up cheating on his wife while she was dying of cancer. So the idea that this was ok with the Democrats after the Clinton era is just false.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"When the president does it, that means that it is not illegal. - Nixon
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Holman wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm

How awful it must be to be Melania.
God I hope so.

User avatar
GreenGoo
Posts: 40570
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:46 pm
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by GreenGoo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Imagine trying to confirm Clarence Thomas today during Cosby and Weinstein and #metoo?

Tell me it wasn't a different time then.

User avatar
gbasden
Posts: 5807
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:57 am
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by gbasden » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Fitzy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:53 am


Bill Clinton went on national television and with the power of the presidency behind him, said he did not have sex with Monica Lewinsky. His reputation is Slick Willy. He didn't get that on a slip and slide. He used the truth and twisted it to serve him. He's no where near as bad as Trump, but he is a liar.

Democrats were supposed to be the party of women. They were supposed to be the party that protected the equality of women. The power difference between Clinton and Lewinsky was enough that for any other person there would have been, correctly, questions of sexual harassment at best and even rape. The Democrats let Clinton off and even defended him. How is that not hypocrisy? Is it equal to the family values hypocrisy? I don't know. It's certainly parallel though. So don't try to pretend the Democrats have some moral high ground without standing up and acknowledging the mistakes the party made with Clinton. There might be daylight between what the Democrats did and what the Republicans did, but I'm not convinced it's all that much.

I am questioning and drawing comparisons to Clinton, not to defend Trump, but to understand how we got here and to make certain that my own biases against Trump are not overwhelming my judgement. I'd consider that the opposite of self-delusion. Trying to understand both sides isn't a bad thing. It's the best way to understand your own positions better.

So, let me agree with you that I now believe that Bill is sleazy and certainly guilty of sexual harassment if not more. I defended him at the time for a number of reasons - between Whitewater and Vince Foster and the crazy right wing allegations that the Clinton's were murderers and drug traffickers it did seem like there was a conspiracy to bring them down. The other half is that I was in my early twenties when all of this came out, and I certainly felt like I understood the world and could make decisions about my sex life and who to sleep with. The concept of power imbalance and that kind of age difference is a lot more apparent to me at this stage of my life than it was to past me.

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 61042
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by LordMortis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 am

It's hard for me to accept the 90s were a different era. I guess that makes me old. I only imagine it's hard for me to accept because I was on the right on of history. I'm sure if it was something for which my attitudes have evolved over the last 25+ years, I'd feel differently.

As example, I used to buy in to the idea that racism was something we need to ignore. If we could learn to ignore it as a culture, it would largely cease to be. I have definitely been on the wrong side of things there.

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38615
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by hepcat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am

Zarathud wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm
She made her bed and has to lie in it (for the money). I expect one day Melania will write a tell-all book after she's free from Trump,
I have zero respect for Melania. She's a high priced escort who evangelicals love because it lets them believe they too can pay for sex and still call themselves Christians.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

User avatar
LordMortis
Posts: 61042
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by LordMortis » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:25 am

hepcat wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am
Zarathud wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm
She made her bed and has to lie in it (for the money). I expect one day Melania will write a tell-all book after she's free from Trump,
I have zero respect for Melania. She's a high priced escort who evangelicals love because it lets them believe they too can pay for sex and still call themselves Christians.
I try to tell myself she's started that way but now she's in it for her son and is trying to keep him separate from all that...

Enlarge Image

We'll see maybe Trump will get bored by a elephant tusk during a hunting expedition and then government will round up all of the children not born of melanoma.

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32923
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Remus West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am

hepcat wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:14 am
Zarathud wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:22 pm
She made her bed and has to lie in it (for the money). I expect one day Melania will write a tell-all book after she's free from Trump,
I have zero respect for Melania. She's a high priced escort who evangelicals love because it lets them believe they too can pay for sex and still call themselves Christians.
I have neither respect nor sympathy for her.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
Smoove_B
Posts: 39822
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:58 am
Location: Kaer Morhen

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Smoove_B » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 am

Remus West wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am
I have neither respect nor sympathy for her.
That's not a nice way to speak about someone that came to America on an "Einstein visa":
the eligibility criteria for the EB-1 includes professors, researchers, multi-national managers and executives, and those with “extraordinary ability,” which requires applicants to provide evidence of a one-time achievement such as a Pulitzer Prize or Olympic medal, or show that they have met 3 of the 10 listed criteria including “published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media” and “performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations.”

User avatar
Max Peck
Posts: 7700
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:09 pm
Location: Down the Rabbit-Hole

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Max Peck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

The actual EB-1 criteria for "extraordinary ability" are very broad. It's not difficult to see how an upper-tier model with access to a good immigration lawyer would be able to tick off at least 3 out of 10. It's all about the spin. And money (literally -- being overpaid is an actual criterion).
* Criteria for Demonstrating Extraordinary Ability
You must meet 3 out of the 10 listed criteria below to prove extraordinary ability in your field:
  • Evidence of receipt of lesser nationally or internationally recognized prizes or awards for excellence
  • Evidence of your membership in associations in the field which demand outstanding achievement of their members
  • Evidence of published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  • Evidence that you have been asked to judge the work of others, either individually or on a panel
  • Evidence of your original scientific, scholarly, artistic, athletic, or business-related contributions of major significance to the field
  • Evidence of your authorship of scholarly articles in professional or major trade publications or other major media
  • Evidence that your work has been displayed at artistic exhibitions or showcases
  • Evidence of your performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations
  • Evidence that you command a high salary or other significantly high remuneration in relation to others in the field
  • Evidence of your commercial successes in the performing arts
Time and tide melt the snowman.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.
-- The Doctor

User avatar
Remus West
Posts: 32923
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 5:39 pm
Location: Not in Westland

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by Remus West » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:23 am

Smoove_B wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 am
Remus West wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:28 am
I have neither respect nor sympathy for her.
That's not a nice way to speak about someone that came to America on an "Einstein visa":
the eligibility criteria for the EB-1 includes professors, researchers, multi-national managers and executives, and those with “extraordinary ability,” which requires applicants to provide evidence of a one-time achievement such as a Pulitzer Prize or Olympic medal, or show that they have met 3 of the 10 listed criteria including “published material about you in professional or major trade publications or other major media” and “performance of a leading or critical role in distinguished organizations.”
I'm sure she has special "talents" that allowed her to get here.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

User avatar
hepcat
Posts: 38615
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Chicago, IL Home of the triple homicide!
hepcat’s avatar
Offline

Re: Stormy Weather (Trump & Women)

Post by hepcat » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:57 am

Gold digging is a highly sought after skill in Trump's circle.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

Post Reply