September 2018 - October 2018
No votes
November 2018 - December 2018
3%
Sometime in 2019
No votes
2020 or beyond
No votes
Never (Mueller will be allowed to pursue his investigation to completion)
43%

Total votes: 30

El Guapo

When will Trump try to fire Mueller?

Post by El Guapo »

The firing of McCabe, last Sunday's Mueller tweets, and the nature of Trump seem to make this virtually inevitable, whether he tries to do it by firing Rosenstein on down, or whether he fires Sessions and puts Pruitt in his place. When's your best guess as to when it will happen? I honestly think it's within the realm of possibility that he does it by the end of this week (probably late Friday), but I think it's probably better than even to happen within the next month or two.

edit: I guess I should say when will he try *again*, since he tried to get him fired already but was convinced to stand down by McGahn.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: When will Trump try to fire Mueller?

Post by $iljanus »

I picked the politically slow summer months. Then again, I think that post-it on his desk saying “DO NOT FIRE MULLER” is having less influence on him with each firing...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hiccup

Post by Hiccup »

Tough choices, and I'm guessing November.

I'd group them by events rather than timeline because the obvious answer is "When he feels needs to in order to shift attention from something else"

1) Before the Stormy Daniels interview airs Sunday
2) Before the Stormy Daniels hearing/trial
3) Before the elections in hopes of "energizing the base"
"Adam was but human - this explains it all. He did not want the apple for the apple's sake, he wanted it only because it was forbidden. The mistake was in not forbidding the serpent; then he would have eaten the serpent."
-- Mark Twain .

XBL: Hiccup1
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Not that Trump seems like a great planner, but it seems like if he's going to do it, he'd be better off doing it sooner rather than later. Both because later gives Mueller more time to do his thing, but also because the political impact of it is likely to be enormous no matter how Trump slices it, and devastating for Republicans. Waiting until July or August (or worse yet, October) seems like a recipe for losing 100+ House seats. If he does it in the next couple weeks, there's more time for it to run its course before the midterms.

I guess I should say that if Trump waits and the Republicans hold the House (and the Senate) the odds of a firing in November / December go *way* up.
Black Lives Matter.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I think he either does it in the next two months, or after the election.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm an optimist and believe he will let him finish. My second choice is over Easter weekend (March 30).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I'll put my money on "Between 2am and 4am" on some date yet to be determined. That's usually when he goes on the twitter rants, right?
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think, "Whenever he damn well pleases" needs to be added to the choices.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm I'm an optimist and believe he will let him finish. My second choice is over Easter weekend (March 30).
Trump is going to wait until the perfect time and then, right before he can pull the trigger, Mueller will announce that he's finished.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I voted for before end of March, because you used the word TRY. I think he has already been trying and continues to try to find a way to do so where it doesn't result in disaster for him (and probably not seeing that as a remote possibility).

Will he fire him? No, I don't think so.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:16 pm I voted for before end of March, because you used the word TRY. I think he has already been trying and continues to try to find a way to do so where it doesn't result in disaster for him (and probably not seeing that as a remote possibility).

Will he fire him? No, I don't think so.
To be clear, I consider "try" to be more than "undermine Mueller" or "haze Sessions". I mean to take concrete steps towards firing Mueller, such as firing Sessions, demanding that Rosenstein / Sessions / etc. fire Mueller, telling someone else to fire Mueller, etc. I used "try" to encompass a situation where Trump (say) fires Sessions and tries to put Pruitt in his place as AG to fire Mueller, only a court rules that he can't appoint Pruitt without confirmation (e.g., that the Vacancies Act doesn't authorize him to install Pruitt), or he orders Rosenstein to fire Mueller and Congress passes a law to protect Mueller from firing, etc.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Active attempts Vs passive undermining.

It's certain that he keeps undermining and using the feedback from his tweets as a litmus test to see how it would go over. Eventually he will just ignore the feedback and attempt it anyway.

Either when he or his finances are truly threatened or when he just decides his reality supercedes the real one.

Since I'm expecting some serious, concrete revelations in the next two months, I voted for the end of May.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

This Friday.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The one prediction I do feel confident in making is if Trump has managed to not fire Mueller by the time of the midterm elections, and Republicans manage to hold onto congress, Trump will fire him soon afterwards.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Defiant wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:10 pm The one prediction I do feel confident in making is if Trump has managed to not fire Mueller by the time of the midterm elections, and Republicans manage to hold onto congress, Trump will fire him soon afterwards.
Definitely. He'll be "King" anyway so why not.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Given the way his Hairness fired McCabe and his treatment of, well, practically everybody who even looked askance at him, I'm predicting that not only will Trump fire Mueller, he will also have his dog poisoned, his house burned down, and will sign an executive order to have Mueller's birthday removed from the calendar.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Holman

Post by Holman »

I believe he'll try firing Rosenstein/Mueller as soon as his lawyers break the news of the next round of campaign-figure indictments, especially if they are aimed at Jared or Don Jr.

I don't think that will happen before Mueller interviews Trump or until Trump clearly refuses to interview, and I think that's still a couple of months off. We're really on Mueller's timetable, not Trump's.

I'm going to guess June rather than April/May.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, but soon enough Trump will be distracted with lots of local golfing, so it's hard to say if he'll be able to maintain focus. So many variables...
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Was going to vote August but that doesn't seem to be an option.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Exodor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 pm Was going to vote August but that doesn't seem to be an option.
:oops:

That's because August is "no firing special counsels" month. Everyone knows that.
Black Lives Matter.
Toe

Post by Toe »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:01 am
Exodor wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:29 pm Was going to vote August but that doesn't seem to be an option.
:oops:

That's because August is "no firing special counsels" month. Everyone knows that.
Not sure which to go with, but August is National Golf Month and also contains International Clown Week. ;)
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:13 pm I'm an optimist and believe he will let him finish.
18-1™ & 2-0
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

John Dowd, Trump's lead lawyer handling the Mueller probe, just resigned.

As more moderating forces leave and are replaced by conspiratorial figures like DiGenova who joined on a few days ago, it looks increasingly likely that Trump may move on Mueller soon. He's surrounding himself with those who support rather than restrain his instincts and impulses.
Last edited by Captain Caveman on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:24 pm John Dowd, Trump's lead lawyer handling the Mueller probe, just resigned. As more moderating forces leave and are replaced by conspiratorial figures like DiGenova who joined on a few days ago, it looks increasingly likely that Trump may move on Mueller soon. He's surrounding himself with those who support rather than restrain his instincts and impulses,
Maybe, but Dowd is also the one who called for the inquiry to end, and by reports has been trying to get Trump to not interview with Mueller. He's not one of the doves on the team. So...who knows.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Wow, things might actually get more insane.

Calling for the inquiry to end while recommending Drumpf not fire Meuller and especially not interview with him is what a competent lawyer would do.

So... :pop:
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, as Trump works through his team, the quality of his team members is going to steadily decrease (if you can imagine that). Which indicates that his next actions are extra likely to be rash, ill-considered, and poorly done, but could go in any number of different directions. Like, I wouldn't be shocked if Trump was like "fuck it, I'm going to talk to Mueller no restrictions and put this thing to bed!"
Black Lives Matter.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm
Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:24 pm John Dowd, Trump's lead lawyer handling the Mueller probe, just resigned. As more moderating forces leave and are replaced by conspiratorial figures like DiGenova who joined on a few days ago, it looks increasingly likely that Trump may move on Mueller soon. He's surrounding himself with those who support rather than restrain his instincts and impulses,
Maybe, but Dowd is also the one who called for the inquiry to end, and by reports has been trying to get Trump to not interview with Mueller. He's not one of the doves on the team. So...who knows.
But the reports make clear that Dowd is leaving because he feels Trump is increasingly ignoring his advice. I can't imagine his advice has been to fire Mueller and Trump was ignoring it. Quite the opposite, I fear. Last week's public statement by Dowd about Rosenstein shutting down the probe was probably him acquiescing to the growing demands of his client.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Isn't his new guy, Joseph diGenova, famous for going on Fox and claiming that the Mueller probe is an FBI conspiracy to overthrow the president?

If he's the last lawyer standing, I think this thing will be going FuhrerBunker.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Captain Caveman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:25 pm
But the reports make clear that Dowd is leaving because he feels Trump is increasingly ignoring his advice. I can't imagine his advice has been to fire Mueller and Trump was ignoring it. Quite the opposite, I fear. Last week's public statement by Dowd about Rosenstein shutting down the probe was probably him acquiescing to the growing demands of his client.
Whose report? You posted no links or quotes.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... gns-report
President Trump’s lead personal attorney handling the investigation into Russian meddling abruptly resigned on Thursday.

John Dowd, a prominent white-collar attorney who joined Trump’s legal team last summer, will step down after breaking with the president on key elements surrounding the probe, including whether Trump should sit for an interview with Robert Mueller.

“I love the President and I wish him well,” Dowd said in a written statement to The Hill.

Dowd’s exit comes as the president seeks to shake up his legal team amid frustrations within the White House over Mueller’s probe, which has cast a cloud over the administration for more than a year now.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm Isn't his new guy, Joseph diGenova, famous for going on Fox and claiming that the Mueller probe is an FBI conspiracy to overthrow the president?

If he's the last lawyer standing, I think this thing will be going FuhrerBunker.
He's not the last lawyer standing, though, at least not yet. Ty Cobb has been the strongest advocate (per reports) for cooperating with Mueller. If he (and/or McGahn as white house counsel) go, that would be a more significant tripwire.

Though Trump could certainly abruptly decide to fire Mueller at any point regardless.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:15 pm
Holman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:36 pm Isn't his new guy, Joseph diGenova, famous for going on Fox and claiming that the Mueller probe is an FBI conspiracy to overthrow the president?

He's not the last lawyer standing, though, at least not yet. Ty Cobb has been the strongest advocate (per reports) for cooperating with Mueller. If he (and/or McGahn as white house counsel) go, that would be a more significant tripwire.

Though Trump could certainly abruptly decide to fire Mueller at any point regardless.
Oh, I know Cobb and McGahn are still there. I was just applying the rule that Everything Trump Touches Dies.

Eventually even Ty Cobb's mustache will have had enough.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I think this is the more relevant story on Dowd's leaving, at least as it pertains to this thread:
“Now I’m F---ing Doing It My Way”: Jubilant and Self-Liberated, the President Prepares for War with Mueller
With John Dowd out, John Kelly and Ty Cobb marginalized, Joseph diGenova on board, and Marc Kasowitz possibly returning, the next battle comes into focus.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

None of that article sounded good for anything but more chaos. Yay. :grund:
Holman

Post by Holman »

If the pattern holds (Fox-screened flattery followed by reciprocal Trump tweets; repeat), Trump's legal team will include Alan Dershowitz before summer.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

McConnell says he won't bring any special counsel protection bill to the floor.

aka "go ahead and fire Mueller anytime you want Donald."

I'm thinking end of May at the latest at this point.
Black Lives Matter.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Holman wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:25 pm If the pattern holds (Fox-screened flattery followed by reciprocal Trump tweets; repeat), Trump's legal team will include Alan Dershowitz before summer.
I saw in an interview where AD said he is not interested.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 pm McConnell says he won't bring any special counsel protection bill to the floor.

aka "go ahead and fire Mueller anytime you want Donald."

I'm thinking end of May at the latest at this point.
Well, we all know it's not necessary because all McConnell and Sanders and Ryan all said that Trump said he wasn't going to and they've always been reliable spokespeople for Trump's future actions.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Could be because Mitch is worried about this: https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/comm ... -campaigns
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

House Republicans Lay the Groundwork for Firing Rosenstein.

If it wouldn't clog the R&P unduly, I'd say that I have to set up a separate poll on firing Rosenstein.

I have to say that I don't entirely understand why Rosenstein wouldn't ultimately produce what the House GOP wants, at least once he gets a subpoena. Not that I doubt that there are important confidentiality considerations, but honestly those seem less important than Rosenstein staying in office for as long as he can.
Black Lives Matter.