Barbara Bush has died

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

pr0ner

Barbara Bush has died

Post by pr0ner »

Former First Lady Barbara Bush died this evening. She was 92.

Hodor.
Jeff V

Re: Barbara Bush has died

Post by Jeff V »

I always thought her to be an excellent, classy first lady. Her husband was the last Republican I ever voted for. I didn't think she'd go before George.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

The only Bush I could stomach. RIP
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

She was a good woman. I wish her well in the afterlife.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

This thread needs more controversy if it's going to stay in R&P.

Professor’s Tweet That Barbara Bush Was an ‘Amazing Racist’ Ignites a Fury
Randa Jarrar, a tenured professor who is on leave this semester, wrote that she would never be fired because she has tenure and free-speech rights. She encouraged anyone who objected to contact the university’s president. They did, in droves.

The president, Joseph I. Castro, issued a statement offering condolences to the Bush family on the former first lady’s death and saying Jarrar was commenting as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State.

“Professor Jarrar’s expressed personal views and commentary are obviously contrary to the core values of our university, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress,” Castro wrote.

His statement drew an angry backlash from some people who questioned why he didn’t condemn Jarrar’s remarks more forcefully.

The president later told The Fresno Bee that the university was investigating the matter and that he considered Jarrar’s statements disrespectful.

“A professor with tenure does not have blanket protection to say and do what they wish,” Castro said. “We are all held accountable for our actions.”

Screen shots of Jarrar’s comments were captured and shared on Twitter before she made her account private, with a note that she is on leave from Fresno State and the opinions are her own. In one, she wrote, “Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal.”
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Enough

Post by Enough »

Moliere wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm This thread needs more controversy if it's going to stay in R&P.

Randa Jarrar, a tenured professor who is on leave this semester, wrote that she would never be fired because she has tenure and free-speech rights. She encouraged anyone who objected to contact the university’s president. They did, in droves.

The president, Joseph I. Castro, issued a statement offering condolences to the Bush family on the former first lady’s death and saying Jarrar was commenting as a private citizen, not as a representative of Fresno State.

“Professor Jarrar’s expressed personal views and commentary are obviously contrary to the core values of our university, which include respect and empathy for individuals with divergent points of view, and a sincere commitment to mutual understanding and progress,” Castro wrote.

His statement drew an angry backlash from some people who questioned why he didn’t condemn Jarrar’s remarks more forcefully.

The president later told The Fresno Bee that the university was investigating the matter and that he considered Jarrar’s statements disrespectful.

“A professor with tenure does not have blanket protection to say and do what they wish,” Castro said. “We are all held accountable for our actions.”

Screen shots of Jarrar’s comments were captured and shared on Twitter before she made her account private, with a note that she is on leave from Fresno State and the opinions are her own. In one, she wrote, “Barbara Bush was a generous and smart and amazing racist who, along with her husband, raised a war criminal.”
Those crazy college kids and their safe spaces. :ninja:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i suppose this is becoming enough of a common occurrence that it didn't even warrant mentioning - from that same article:
[popehat], run by Ken White, a criminal-defense lawyer in Los Angeles, said three factors play into whether her comments are protected speech.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I've seen a few people on Twitter drag her for some of her Katrina comments. Like nothing else she's done matters because of some inconsiderate comments she's made a few years ago. It's unfortunate.
Hodor.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Moliere wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm This thread needs more controversy if it's going to stay in R&P.

It's a shame that professor didn't try to mend a few fences by sitting down to some Chinese food with a couple Police Officers in Trenton, FL. :ninja:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Holman

Post by Holman »

The sitting POTUS is skipping Barbara Bush's funeral because the family hates his guts.

The Obamas and the Clintons will be there.

Oh, and it looks like it's the same story with the next UK royal wedding.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

I can't stand nearly anything that the Bushes did but they did respect the nation in a way that Trump can not begin to comprehend. Were I part of their family I would not want him nor anyone from his administration there. No need to add a trial of patience to that of grief.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Holman wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am Oh, and it looks like it's the same story with the next UK royal wedding.
My understanding is that he wasn't invited in the first place, so it isn't like he's skipping it by choice.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:08 pm
Holman wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:43 am Oh, and it looks like it's the same story with the next UK royal wedding.
My understanding is that he wasn't invited in the first place, so it isn't like he's skipping it by choice.
Maybe he can pay them to attend like he paid Hillary to attend his wedding?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm
If he can't even get a state visit to the UK, he's not going to get an invite to a royal wedding. :lol:

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm
Moliere wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:13 pm
If he can't even get a state visit to the UK, he's not going to get an invite to a royal wedding. :lol:
Hopefully they invite Obama to the wedding. :twisted:
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Now human shit stain Roger Stone has been disinvited from a FL Republican shindig for calling her a "nasty drunk," and that she, "drank so much booze, if they cremated her … her body would burn for three days." Yikes, I really hate when anyone attacks the very recently dead with anything like this, yuck.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

4 Presidents and 4 First Ladies
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:37 pm

4 Presidents and 4 First Ladies
This new X-Men movie looks awesome.

p.s. Melania's feet are nearly vertical.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've never seen people appear so happy to be attending a funeral.

I kid, mostly.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

George H.W. Bush hospitalized following wife's funeral
Former President George H.W. Bush was admitted to a Houston hospital Sunday after contracting an infection, according to a statement from his office Monday evening. The 41st president of the United States is 93 years old.

"President Bush was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital yesterday after contracting an infection that spread to his blood," the statement read. "He is responding to treatments and appears to be recovering. We will issue additional updates as events warrant."
Holman

Post by Holman »

GreenGoo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 am I've never seen people appear so happy to be attending a funeral.

I kid, mostly.
Aw, I think it's normal. Funerals are also reunions, and often the tone is celebratory of the life.

(I've been to a bunch of them lately.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Now he's in the hospital with a blood infection. Would be nice if he gets to join her right away after being together for so long.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holman wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:50 am I've never seen people appear so happy to be attending a funeral.

I kid, mostly.
Aw, I think it's normal. Funerals are also reunions, and often the tone is celebratory of the life.

(I've been to a bunch of them lately.)
Agreed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 pm Would be nice if he gets to join her right away after being together for so long.
Ummm, what? :think:
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Moliere wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:07 pm
em2nought wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:15 pm Would be nice if he gets to join her right away after being together for so long.
Ummm, what? :think:
That's actually one of his posts that doesn't offend me. I've long believed that were my mom to die first my dad would follow soon after due to not wanting to linger without her. He could have worded it better but the idea of his passing to be with her in the next life isn't a horrible thought. Assuming you believe in the next life.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm If he can't even get a state visit to the UK, he's not going to get an invite to a royal wedding. :lol:
a “working visit” on Friday 13 July
Donald Trump will make a “working visit” to the UK on Friday 13 July, the UK and US have both confirmed, with the US president set to meet the Queen during the trip.

The visit, which will take place immediately after a Nato summit in Brussels, will include bilateral talks with Theresa May, according to Britain’s ambassador to the US.
It will not, however, be the full state visit the US president was promised when May visited Washington last year, meaning he will not be honoured with an official banquet at Buckingham Palace or a carriage procession up the Mall.

Downing Street has insisted the invitation for a full state visit still stands, but there is no timetable for it to take place.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

At the time max wrote that, it was true.

The problem is that May wants the visit, but nearly no one else does, and Drumpf can't handle people protesting his very existence in their country, so he had put impossible conditions on his visit that May needed to meet.

Sounds like they both found a way around that.

Honestly I'm amazed the queen agreed to meet him. The royal family's disdain for Drumpf is well known.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can't wait for Trump to brush a little dandruff off the Queen's shoulder. :pop:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Unagi wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:33 pm I can't wait for Trump to brush a little dandruff off the Queen's shoulder. :pop:
That or he gives her the vigorous Trump handshake.

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:05 pm At the time max wrote that, it was true.
It's still true. His "working" visit is not a state visit.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Shrug.