Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Immigration Policy

Post by Blackhawk »

Word is that a solution is incoming. We'll see.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:15 pm Word is that a solution is incoming. We'll see.
Can't wait to see how he spins himself as the savior.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

I thought only Congress could fix this.

Still, it's a positive development that he's backing down, though I'm unclear why an executive order would be needed here... and I worry that it'll include some additional nastiness to offset acquiescing on family separation, like indefinite family detention.

Edit: yep, it seems so.

Last edited by Captain Caveman on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Earlier on Wednesday, Republican congressional leader Paul Ryan said the House of Representatives will vote on Thursday "on legislation to keep families together".

"We do not want children taken away from their parents," he said at a news conference on Capitol Hill. "We can enforce our immigration laws without breaking families apart."

He did not immediately provide details of the bill, but said that it resolves the issue of so-called Dreamers, undocumented adult migrants who were brought to the US as children, "in a very elegant way".
This makes me very suspicious. Either it's complete nonsense / fabrication, OR what they're planning on doing is introducing a bill that ends family separation, does some kind of DACA solution (probably short of citizenship), and is loaded down with anti-immigrant provisions to the extent that no Democrat will vote for it, thereby allowing them to try to shift the blame to Democrats.

Guessing the latter.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm
Earlier on Wednesday, Republican congressional leader Paul Ryan said the House of Representatives will vote on Thursday "on legislation to keep families together".

"We do not want children taken away from their parents," he said at a news conference on Capitol Hill. "We can enforce our immigration laws without breaking families apart."

He did not immediately provide details of the bill, but said that it resolves the issue of so-called Dreamers, undocumented adult migrants who were brought to the US as children, "in a very elegant way".
This makes me very suspicious. Either it's complete nonsense / fabrication, OR what they're planning on doing is introducing a bill that ends family separation, does some kind of DACA solution (probably short of citizenship), and is loaded down with anti-immigrant provisions to the extent that no Democrat will vote for it, thereby allowing them to try to shift the blame to Democrats.

Guessing the latter.
South-facing family-launching catapaults at the wall would probably be a "very elegant" solution in Ryan's eyes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

NickAragua wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:33 am
Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:24 am
GreenGoo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:38 am 1/2 the comments on a yahoo news article were either lies about Clinton/Obama doing it first, deserving it because of law breaking or cries of fake news.

You guys are so fucked.
Meh, I'm as pessimistic as anyone about all this, but a few Russian bots spamming the comment threads on Yahoo doesn't even move the needle for me.
Problem is, people read those russian bot comments, then go vote.

I guess that's what we get for letting every Tom, Dick and Harry have a say in who runs the country. Not that the "alternative" model towards which we're heading is going to be any better.
I see plenty of comments from people that are not bots that agree with this shit. Hell my father was praising Trump to my wife yesterday. Thank god I wasn't there. I would have lost my shit.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I wonder if this was the plan all along? Separate children until outrage forces us to "dial back" the policy. Now we're just going to incarcerate children with their parents. As long as they're together, the incarceration of children isn't as big of a problem now, right? Geez. What is it that the public wants? If we can't incarcerate children, maybe we shouldn't be doing the same to adults? Is that what you're asking? That we just open all the jail cells? We are a country of laws! People need to respect the law!

I just made that all up, but I'm sure someone posted it for real on social media, somewhere.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Trump support.

TL;TW - God puts politicians in office, not us. The pictures of children in cages are faked. It's all the parent's fault.

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

So, if the President's solution to the child separation crisis he created is to imprison children with their parents. However, caselaw from the 1990s makes it illegal to indefinitely hold children in prison for crossing the border, so this puts the White House on track for a giant lawsuit from the ACLU and others.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm This makes me very suspicious. Either it's complete nonsense / fabrication, OR what they're planning on doing is introducing a bill that ends family separation, does some kind of DACA solution (probably short of citizenship), and is loaded down with anti-immigrant provisions to the extent that no Democrat will vote for it, thereby allowing them to try to shift the blame to Democrats.

Guessing the latter.
Ah, just in time for hurricane season. Exactly as we planned all along, dreamers turned to drowners. :roll:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Fireball wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm So, if the President's solution to the child separation crisis he created is to imprison children with their parents. However, caselaw from the 1990s makes it illegal to indefinitely hold children in prison for crossing the border, so this puts the White House on track for a giant lawsuit from the ACLU and others.
Yup. The administration is either incompetent for not knowing the new order would violate the law, or they know it will violate the law, and plan on continuing to separate kids from their parents while it works it's way through the courts. "I tried to stop taking kids from their parents, but the courts blocked me! Sad!".
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:54 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm This makes me very suspicious. Either it's complete nonsense / fabrication, OR what they're planning on doing is introducing a bill that ends family separation, does some kind of DACA solution (probably short of citizenship), and is loaded down with anti-immigrant provisions to the extent that no Democrat will vote for it, thereby allowing them to try to shift the blame to Democrats.

Guessing the latter.
Ah, just in time for hurricane season. Exactly as we planned all along, dreamers turned to drowners. :roll:
Why aren't you somewhere else?
Covfefe!
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:58 pm Why aren't you somewhere else?
Because we all need to go down together. :wink:
Enlarge Image

Plus, no Klan rally on the schedule that I'm aware of? :roll:
Last edited by em2nought on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm
Fireball wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:52 pm So, if the President's solution to the child separation crisis he created is to imprison children with their parents. However, caselaw from the 1990s makes it illegal to indefinitely hold children in prison for crossing the border, so this puts the White House on track for a giant lawsuit from the ACLU and others.
Yup. The administration is either incompetent for not knowing the new order would violate the law, or they know it will violate the law, and plan on continuing to separate kids from their parents while it works it's way through the courts. "I tried to stop taking kids from their parents, but the courts blocked me! Sad!".
Most likely the courts will allow the new policy to go into effect in order to end the significant safety dangers and psychological damage coming from the separation policy. But I doubt the new Trump policy will stand. By moving from a policy so horrific that no one has tried it before to one that's already been declared illegal, Trump has significantly weakened his hand. This is a big win for the #Resistance.

The only way Trump can make his new policy legal, if it is what we've heard, would be to increase throughput in the asylum courts significantly while prioritizing family groups over all other cases so as to move any group with kids in it through the process within the legal time limit.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Sepiche wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:57 pm
Without being familiar with the case law, seems like there are a few possible arguments that they might try:

(1) Supercharge the processing / removal process at the border - "surge" in the number of administrative judges, and make a number of changes to make it hard / impossible to successfully claim asylum, and put a deadline on the processing of asylum claims. Then claim that the kids are not being detained "indefinitely". This is basically Ted Cruz's proposed approach.

(2) Keep the kids in / around the grounds of the prison that the parents are at, but distinct from the parents's cells. Let them see each other for at least some amount of time every day. Argue that the kids and parents are not "separated" and that the kids are not "imprisoned".
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:08 pm (2) Keep the kids in / around the grounds of the prison that the parents are at, but distinct from the parents's cells. Let them see each other for at least some amount of time every day. Argue that the kids and parents are not "separated" and that the kids are not "imprisoned".
That certainly sounds sufficiently horrible enough for them to consider.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Rep Steve King is apparently Rip in disguise.
King told TMZ, "There's nothing cruel about this. These are children that are cared for with better care than they got in their home country. They get everything they need. They get a warm, comfortable place to sleep. They get medical care, like a lot of kids in this country don't get. They get three squares a day. They get exercise, fresh air. And I don't know how you can ask for more than that."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...sounds like captivity isn't that bad. Perhaps we should round up Trumpies and lock them up for life. :think:
Covfefe!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kennels offer all those things too.

I did enjoy the non-ironic reference to American kids not having access to medical care. Many of whom don't have that access thanks to him/his party.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Quote from someone on FB who is highly educated and highly in the deplorable group.

"The real crime is the one being committed against my grandchildren. My taxes pay for the housing, healthcare, food, education, and recreation for these illegal immigrant children and they are living under better conditions than they have ever known in their native countries. Because my taxes are paying for this, funds that should be used to make a better life for my grandchildren are being spent on illegal aliens. That is the real crime."

Seriously I just want to punch this guy in the nuts. This is a good representation of a classic Trump supporters opinion. I seriously don't get how you can live with so much hate and disregard for other people.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Isgrimnur

Immigration Policy

Post by Isgrimnur »

On the first day, find the biggest toddler in the place and fight him, so the other kids know you’re not a crybaby.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm Rep Steve King is apparently Rip in disguise.
King told TMZ, "There's nothing cruel about this. These are children that are cared for with better care than they got in their home country. They get everything they need. They get a warm, comfortable place to sleep. They get medical care, like a lot of kids in this country don't get. They get three squares a day. They get exercise, fresh air. And I don't know how you can ask for more than that."
I'm surprised he didn't suggest that maybe they should consider some type of work-study plan for the kids. Maybe give them some new skills while they're being incarcerated. Perhaps a program with a catchy motto like "Work sets you free".
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:15 pm Rep Steve King is apparently Rip in disguise.
I'm surprised he didn't suggest that maybe they should consider some type of work-study plan for the kids. Maybe give them some new skills while they're being incarcerated. Perhaps a program with a catchy motto like "Work sets you free".
So he's actually making the argument that the US Government will do a better job of taking care of them (the immigrant children) than their parents?

Trumpism has definitely trumped conservatism...
Last edited by Pyperkub on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pmfunds that should be used to make a better life for my grandchildren are being spent on illegal aliens. That is the real crime."
I'd love to know how he feels about healthcare and nutrition money being spent on his grandchildren. Because I'm guessing he cheered every time the ACA was undercut.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pmfunds that should be used to make a better life for my grandchildren are being spent on illegal aliens. That is the real crime."
I'd love to know how he feels about healthcare and nutrition money being spent on his grandchildren. Because I'm guessing he cheered every time the ACA was undercut.
Oh of course this asshat was all about trashing the ACA. People need to learn how to take care of themselves. And when there's a gap charity will be there to help!

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah it drives me crazy every time a Trump supporter claims they're doing it "for the children." My mom made that argument to justify her vote. Gee, thanks for saving my kids from the brown people while destroying the environment, taking away their healthcare, and bankrupting their future with your idiotic economic policy.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

TRUMP: “No, I hate it. I hate the children being taken away. The Democrats have to change their law. That’s their law. Quiet, quiet. That’s the Democrats’ law. We can change it tonight. We can change it right now. I will leave here — no, no. You need their votes. You need their votes. The Democrats, all they have to do —”

REPORTER: “You control both chambers of Congress, the Republicans do.”

TRUMP: “Excuse me, by one vote? We don’t need it. You need 60 votes.”

REPORTER: “You control the House.”

TRUMP: “Excuse me, we have a one-vote edge. We need 60. So we need 10 votes. We can’t get them from the Democrats. Wait, wait, we can’t do it through an executive order.”
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential ... ampaign=wh
It is also the policy of this Administration to maintain family unity, including by detaining alien families together where appropriate and consistent with law and available resources. It is unfortunate that Congress’s failure to act and court orders have put the Administration in the position of separating alien families to effectively enforce the law.
Still forming an opinion...
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

From that article:
“Hey, he [Kim Jong-un] is the head of a country, and I mean he is the strong head. Don't let anyone think anything different. He speaks, and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same.”
I don't even know what to say anymore.

I now believe he literally COULD shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and his idiot supporters would forgive him.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 pm
Taken to it's logical conclusion, we really should be bringing back workhouses for both illegal and American children. Poor children only since they are living in an environment with no work ethic vs the children of hard working rich American folks.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm
TRUMP: “No, I hate it. I hate the children being taken away. The Democrats have to change their law. That’s their law. Quiet, quiet. That’s the Democrats’ law. We can change it tonight. We can change it right now. I will leave here — no, no. You need their votes. You need their votes. The Democrats, all they have to do —”

REPORTER: “You control both chambers of Congress, the Republicans do.”

TRUMP: “Excuse me, by one vote? We don’t need it. You need 60 votes.”

REPORTER: “You control the House.”

TRUMP: “Excuse me, we have a one-vote edge. We need 60. So we need 10 votes. We can’t get them from the Democrats. Wait, wait, we can’t do it through an executive order.”
He literally has NO idea how any of this works. Jesus.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:40 pmTaken to it's logical conclusion, we really should be bringing back workhouses for both illegal and American children. Poor children only since they are living in an environment with no work ethic vs the children of hard working rich American folks.
Yeah! We didn't have people shooting up schools or disrespecting teachers when children were working in factories for 12+ hours a day! They were too tired to cause so many problems. Or they were missing limbs and scalps! #MAGA
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Skinypupy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:41 pm He literally has NO idea how any of this works. Jesus.
Sure he does. He flails around like a headless chicken, destroying the country, while the Russians funnel money into his real estate ventures.

Either that or he's a *really* deep democratic plant, designed to completely destroy the Republican party from within. #FAKEMOONLANDING #ALIENS
Black Lives Matter
Jag

Post by Jag »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:23 pm Yeah it drives me crazy every time a Trump supporter claims they're doing it "for the children." My mom made that argument to justify her vote. Gee, thanks for saving my kids from the brown people while destroying the environment, taking away their healthcare, and bankrupting their future with your idiotic economic policy.
It kills me too. This sucks for us, but it's going to a massive burden on our kids and their kids. Fuck everyone who supports this corrupt admin.
malchior

Post by malchior »

So I feel the need to recap...Trump just signed some hastily put together EO crafted by the person who said that there wasn't a policy or a policy solution. Also some people are already pointing out it is likely illegal as there are restrictions about how you detain children. Apparently caging them isn't detention btw - it is just an intermediate solution - catch and release or something. :roll:

As an aside I'm totally looking forward to the next Trump-era horror just over the horizon because when you think we can't get worse...we get worse.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I know we keep joking that we're in the darkest timeline, but this shit is pretty goddamn dark right now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Judd Legum wrote:Quick analysis of Executive Order:

1. The plan is to keep families detained indefinitely together, which is illegal

2. Trump would like the courts or Congress to make that not illegal

3. If Congress or the judiciary doesn't change the law, families will continue to be split up
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I do love the shot of Secretary Nielsen watching Trump sign an order to keep families together after telling reporters for half an hour how that couldn't be done without Congress.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

What you guys are "actually" mad about if you were honest, but you're not. :wink: You don't care about these children's rights any more than you do about those of a fetus. :roll: I'll admit that God forgive me, I don't care if you choose to abort your own children either.
He Fights
https://townhall.com/columnists/evansay ... s-n2354580
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

em2nought wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 pm What you guys are "actually" mad about if you were honest, but you're not. :wink: You don't care about these children's rights any more than you do about those of a fetus. :roll: I'll admit that God forgive me, I don't care if you choose to abort your own children either.
He Fights
https://townhall.com/columnists/evansay ... s-n2354580
What is wrong with you?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I tried to read that but I gave up after about the 10th completely wrong "fact."