Immigration Policy

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: Immigration Policy

Post by GreenGoo »

I was confused about who paingod was referring to. Agreed that the kids in this case qualify.

Putin playing the (very) long game?

I kid. Sorta.
Holman

Post by Holman »

One simple, huge benefit of American citizenship is easier access to the American university system. It's something rich foreigners value very highly. For decades they've used American internships and special programs and even summer camps as a way of giving their kids an application edge against other foreign competitors, but being born a citizen gets around the whole problem.

Of course, these oligarchs are going to need to recalibrate their strategies now. If Moscow continues to keep Republicans in charge, there won't be an American university system in 18 years.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:One simple, huge benefit of American citizenship is easier access to the American university system. It's something rich foreigners value very highly. For decades they've used American internships and special programs and even summer camps as a way of giving their kids an application edge against other foreign competitors, but being born a citizen gets around the whole problem.

Of course, these oligarchs are going to need to recalibrate their strategies now. If Moscow continues to keep Republicans in charge, there won't be an American university system in 18 years.
The private university system will still thrive.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Oddly though, it will triple in costs. People will be confused by what caused education costs to spiral out of control.

So weird.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 am I was confused about who paingod was referring to. Agreed that the kids in this case qualify.

Putin playing the (very) long game?

I kid. Sorta.
Dynasties are usually high on any despot's priority list. Putin would not care about rival kids if he has any acknowledged ones of his own. Are there any little Putins (Lilliputans?) in the Russian oligarchy?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I was thinking more of installing a Russian as president, but whatever works.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am One simple, huge benefit of American citizenship is easier access to the American university system. It's something rich foreigners value very highly. For decades they've used American internships and special programs and even summer camps as a way of giving their kids an application edge against other foreign competitors, but being born a citizen gets around the whole problem.

The university is probably secondary to the financial advantages. Or rather, he lack of financial disadvantages. Sanctions on Russians? Banks siezing Russian-held assets? No problem, my kid is a US citizen and he now has a trust...

Getting into a US university as a non-citizan is cake if you have the scratch.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's more of a research paper than a press release, really. A "Here are our findings" kind of thing.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Canadian all Syrian refugee children's choir decides not to risk accepting all expense paid invitation to sing at Kennedy center.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... order-visa
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Smart. Sad, but smart.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump wrote:The Democrats are making a strong push to abolish ICE, one of the smartest, toughest and most spirited law enforcement groups of men and women that I have ever seen. I have watched ICE liberate towns from the grasp of MS-13 & clean out the toughest of situations. They are great!
Trump wrote:To the great and brave men and women of ICE, do not worry or lose your spirit. You are doing a fantastic job of keeping us safe by eradicating the worst criminal elements. So brave! The radical left Dems want you out. Next it will be all police. Zero chance, It will never happen!
"I have watched ICE liberate towns from the grasp of MS-13"

"The radical left Dems want you out. Next it will be all police."

He is unhinged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:54 am The ownership changed. He was fine for two decades before that.
You can read about it now (in cartoon form) here
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Holman wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:26 am"I have watched ICE liberate towns from the grasp of MS-13"

He is unhinged.
Indeed. In listening to NPR, they had an MS-13 "expert" on that's studied the group and their culture - and the image Trump keeps pushing is what they were in the mid-90's. Now they're a shadow of what they were then, with about 10,000 members in the US. Weaker than the Bloods and Crips. Still bent on vicious, senseless violence and murder - but not organized in any real sense. They don't deal in drugs much, and aren't the boogie-men Trump wants needs them to be.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Beware the Canadian "Coyote" Fishermen!

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EDIT: NM, Holman covered it here.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks for your service, now fuck off!
Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Montana rally that keeps on giving:
After President Donald Trump launched into yet another unhinged attack on Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) during a rally in Montana Thursday night and repeatedly deployed the racial slur "Pocahontas" to smear the senator's heritage, Warren kept the focus on Trump's inhumane immigration policies in a brief response on Twitter, recommending that the president "should focus on fixing the lives [he's] destroying."

During his speech, Trump suggested that if he ever debated Warren, he would "gently throw an ancestry testing kit" at her feet.

"We are going to do it gently because we're the #MeToo generation, so we have to be very careful," Trump added as many in the audience laughed.

According to an NBC News report published on Thursday, the Trump administration is indeed using DNA tests to match children with their parents in a rush to comply with a court mandate.
Spoiler:
Hey, @realDonaldTrump: While you obsess over my genes, your Admin is conducting DNA tests on little kids because you ripped them from their mamas & you are too incompetent to reunite them in time to meet a court order. Maybe you should focus on fixing the lives you're destroying.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 pm Thanks for your service, now fuck off!
Some immigrant U.S. Army reservists and recruits who enlisted in the military with a promised path to citizenship are being abruptly discharged, the Associated Press has learned.

The AP was unable to quantify how many men and women who enlisted through the special recruitment program have been booted from the Army, but immigration attorneys say they know of more than 40 who have been discharged or whose status has become questionable, jeopardizing their futures.

“It was my dream to serve in the military,” said reservist Lucas Calixto, a Brazilian immigrant who filed a lawsuit against the Army last week. “Since this country has been so good to me, I thought it was the least I could do to give back to my adopted country and serve in the United States military.”

Some of the service members say they were not told why they were being discharged. Others who pressed for answers said the Army informed them they’d been labeled as security risks because they have relatives abroad or because the Defense Department had not completed background checks on them.

:coffee:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

And yet none of the people mentioned in the article were discharged because they were too fat.

I guess we'll know the truth when the lawsuit is resolved.

See you then.
Rip

Post by Rip »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 pm And yet none of the people mentioned in the article were discharged because they were too fat.

See you then.

How do you know that. The article doesn't say why they were discharged. It makes assumptions but offers nothing to substantiate those assumptions.

Same as it has always been, nothing to see here.

:coffee:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rip wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:56 am
GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 pm And yet none of the people mentioned in the article were discharged because they were too fat.

See you then.

How do you know that. The article doesn't say why they were discharged. It makes assumptions but offers nothing to substantiate those assumptions.
Because unlike you, I actually read the article.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

The whole thing with background checks is a direct consequence of Trump's administration imposing new rules and requirements deliberately designed to create a backlog so bad, the DoD chose to cancel the contracts - not because something came up in the recruit's background check, but because they never even got to doing it.

The AP story is all over the place, this WaPo piece from last September is better.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Trump administration incompetence is pretty self-evident if you're following news not twitter.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Records linking children to their parents have disappeared, and in some cases have been destroyed
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:47 am

Records linking children to their parents have disappeared, and in some cases have been destroyed
So now they get to DNA test every one of them. Obviously working as intended. Why wouldn't the government want a DNA database of a subset of people?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Newsweek
Russia has said President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the U.S. from the United Nations Human Rights Council has actually improved the international body's work.

Gennady Gatilov, Moscow's permanent representative to the U.N. and other Geneva-based organizations, made the remarks during a press conference Friday. When asked if the U.S. exit last month had an effect on the working atmosphere at the Human Rights Council, Gatilov responded saying, "It has, and, in our opinion, for the better," according to the state-run Tass Russian News Agency.

"The atmosphere at the council has become much more constructive, the level of politicization and confrontational rhetoric has gone down," he said, adding that he hoped "this trend will continue in the future" in spite of fears that Washington leaving would negatively affect the body.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Governor: Trump officials view placing migrant kids in foster care equal to family reunification.

That's awful, and also seems like a tough sell on the judge that's ordering the families to be reunited.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:Governor: Trump officials view placing migrant kids in foster care equal to family reunification.

That's awful, and also seems like a tough sell on the judge that's ordering the families to be reunited.
What a clusterfuck. I hope a judge shuts that approach down except as an interim solution.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If you want to know why ICE is in dire need of oversight and reform (if not abolishment, as some claim), it is important to realize how it is being used as a weapon of fear and intimidation:
Duran, 42, who is sometimes listed as Duran Ortega, was covering a Memphis protest in April when he was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing a highway or passageway. In a video taken of the incident, Duran appears to be wearing a press badge and was not the only journalist in the street.

After the charges were dropped, Duran was released from the Shelby County jail and ICE agents were there waiting to arrest him, the county sheriff’s spokesperson Earle Farrell said. A Memphis Police arrest report claimed that Duran’s refusal to get out of the road “caused a hazard.” It also mentioned that he did not have a U.S. identification.

Duran believes his arrest wasn’t over a simple hazard, but that he was targeted for his coverage of the Memphis Police Department in Memphis Noticias, the online publication he founded.
If it looks like the Gestapo, acts like the Gestapo and Quacks like the Gestapo...

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Why do you want open borders and MS-13 to rape our women and children?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Some random Twitter feeds will express their "opinion" that other journalists have been arrested in the past, then ICE will have a press release stating this is all totally normal, then a forum member will claim that back in his day he remembers when other journalists were arrested but not targeted.

Ta da, original story is now fake news. Problem solved.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

That's weird, I thought the administration was motivated by illegality - they just want people to come in legally, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The next time Drumpf or any Republican talks about how Europe is being overrun by refugees, remember this chart:
Enlarge Image

The refugee crisis was a flash in the pan, mainly due the all the unrest in Syria, and it was more or less over before they even had the Brexit vote.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I’m guessing that new talking points have been issued from Derpland Central. I’ve seen some version of this show up on multiple Red Hat FB acquaintances’ feeds today.
Did you know?

2,700,000 kids have a parent in prison

400,000 kids are in foster care

And 765,000 kids are separated from their military parents not knowing if they will see them again.

But the media focuses on 2,000 kids who are temporarily separated from illegal immigrants.

Where is the uprising for the injustice that is done to all children? Something is really messed up.
There’s so much fucked up-edness with that, I don’t even know where to start.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
A federal judge on Monday found that U.S. government officials have been giving psychotropic medication to migrant children at a Texas facility without first seeking the consent of their parents or guardians, in violation of state child welfare laws.

U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee in Los Angeles ordered the Trump administration to obtain consent or a court order before administering any psychotropic medications to migrant children, except in cases of dire emergencies. She also ordered that the government move all children out of a Texas facility, Shiloh Residential Treatment Center in Manvel, except for children deemed by a licensed professional to pose a “risk of harm” to themselves or others.

Staff members at Shiloh admitted to signing off on medications in lieu of a parent, relative or legal guardian, according to Gee’s ruling. Government officials defended this practice, saying they provided these drugs only on “an emergency basis” when a child’s “extreme psychiatric symptoms” became dangerous.

The judge didn’t buy this explanation, pointing to testimony from children who said they were given pills “every morning and every night.” Officials “could not have possibly” administered medications to children on an emergency basis every day, Gee wrote.

Children testified in court filings that staff with the U.S. Office of Refugee Resettlement would sometimes not tell them what drugs they were being given or why. They recalled feeling side effects such as nausea, dizziness, depression and weight gain. Some reported being forcibly injected with drugs, and others said they felt that refusing medications would cause them to be detained longer.
A doctor at Shiloh who has signed off on many prescriptions for psychotropic drugs to immigrant children has practiced without board certification to treat children and adolescents for nearly a decade, the Center for Investigative Reporting found.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unconscionable.

Shows how successful the othering has been, though.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Laura Ingraham goes openly white-supremacist.

Laura Ingraham: "The America we know and love doesn't exist anymore. Massive demographic changes have been foisted on the American people, and they are changes that none of us ever voted for, and most of us don't like ... this is related to both illegal and legal immigration"