Re: How divided are we?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

It's hard to put food on your family.

/Nostalgia
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

YellowKing wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:33 pm The problem is not that we don't have a lot in common. We do. The problem is that the two political party platforms have told us what the issues are and how to believe on those issues.

Think about it - what are the chances, in a world of no political parties, that people would evenly divide among two different belief systems filled with dozens of issues? Astronomical. We've only become so divisive as a nation as the political party platforms did. The tail has been wagging the dog for years.

We are all victims of an artificial construct put into place to keep the powerful in power, suppress free thinking, and keep the sheep in line.

Until we wake up as a country and realize that, we're fucked.
It's not that surprising considering how it breaks down. One group doesn't trust the government to protect them and the other group doesn't trust other people not to do bad stuff to them. It just so coincides with which one causes the most problems for you. It's almost completely a population density issue. If there's enough people around, you have to be protected from them. If there's fewer people, the government is more likely to mess up your way of life.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Vorret wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:09 pm Nobody should have to decide between bankruptcy and seeing a doctor.
I'm thinking of my MIL as my direct opposite, and she and I would agree on this.
I'm stealing your answer.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Stealing is wrong. :ninja:
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Fitzy wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 11:00 am Stealing is wrong. :ninja:
Only if you're stealing from other wealthy Republicans. Kind of like the 10 Commandments were intended to only apply to other Jews.
Black Lives Matter
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Nuclear power is a responsible way to generate electricity with minimal carbon emissions.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Fireball wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 3:29 pm Nuclear power is a responsible way to generate electricity with minimal carbon emissions.
Given your avatar and forum name I'm not sure you're the best to make this argument :wink:
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Nuclear power plants are very unlikely to explode!
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes, thank goodness Chernobyl didn't explode.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nuke plants are like fine cheeses and chocolates. They don’t burn, they melt.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 am It just so coincides with which one causes the most problems for you. It's almost completely a population density issue. If there's enough people around, you have to be protected from them. If there's fewer people, the government is more likely to mess up your way of life.
Never thought of it that way before. It sorta makes sense. Personally, I prefer dogs. :wink:
Stop funding for NPR
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

The denominator nears infinity.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Remus West wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 am The denominator nears infinity.
This is a math teacher's "The End Is Nigh" , right?
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Unagi wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 pm
Remus West wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:24 am The denominator nears infinity.
This is a math teacher's "The End Is Nigh" , right?
Pretty much. I just don't see anything in common with those who support Trump right now. His entire administration seems aimed at creating an Oligarchy and there is nothing about that I'm willing to support. I'm to the point where I truly believe that his supporters have become a cult and are no longer thinking for themselves if they ever did. I forget which thread it was mentioned in but his openly talking about extending his time as President being cheered rather than boo'd by those who would call themselves patriots is ridiculous as they are essentially openly cheering for the end of our nation as it was founded.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

If you're willing to sit through 90 minutes of Indy Rally, I'm sure you can find it but if want my out of context transcription

"So I said unless they give me an extension for the presidency"
pause for adulation
"Which I don't think the fake news media would be happy about"
pause for adulation
"Wait. Wait. Wait wait wait. Actually, they would be happy, because when I'm not here their ratings are going to sink."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

LordMortis wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm "So I said unless they give me an extension for the presidency"
pause for adulation
pause for adulation
"Wait. Wait. Wait wait wait. Actually, they would be happy, because when I'm not here their ratings are going to sink."
pause for adulation
FTFY
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Animals shouldn't be tortured.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A strong U.S. military is essential to both our national defense and the maintenance of stability throughout the world.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Moliere wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:34 pm "So I said unless they give me an extension for the presidency"
pause for adulation
pause for adulation
pause for adulation
FTFY
What exactly did you fix?
There is no hug button. Sad!
Holman

Post by Holman »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:10 pm
Holman wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm Drone strikes should not be used.
No amount of collateral damage is acceptable.
Honestly, I doubt we all agree on this.
The exercise isn't to find something we all agree on. It's to find something that someone who is the political opposite of you likely agrees with you on. In practice, this likely means a liberal would espouse a typically conservative view, and a conservative would espouse a typically liberal view.
Kurth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am So here’s an exercise: Replying from the perspective of someone who you believe to be 180 degrees opposite from you on the political spectrum, make one statement on a political/social issue you imagine that person (hypothetical or real) holds a firm conviction about that you agree with as well.
I don't mind being corrected, but I'm not sure a one-on-one exercise means a great deal. It's not hard for me to imagine a single particular conservative who feels the way I do about a single major issue. (For example, I'm generally a Liberal Hawk, so I can easily imagine a conservative who also believes that e.g. we should embrace NATO fully and not pull back from our military commitment to our traditional allies.)

I think the spirit of the exercise ("How divided are we?") requires finding very broad rather than particular common ground. I take the question to be about what still holds our country (or even just our forum) together even though it's hard to see it. The idea is to notice what we generally have in common regardless of ideological labels.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Alefroth wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:07 pm Animals shouldn't be tortured.
Nope. GOP doesn't give a rats ass about rats or anything else in the animal world that stands in the way of profit. I'm pretty certain Michael Vick was rehired by a Republican.

Liberals tend to be more empathetic about....well, everything.
Black Lives Matter
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

killbot737 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:28 pm
Moliere wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 2:00 pm
pause for adulation
pause for adulation
pause for adulation
FTFY
What exactly did you fix?
I added a 3rd line for "pause for adulation". Because, really, can we have enough adulation of everything Trump?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Moliere wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:51 pm I added a 3rd line for "pause for adulation". Because, really, can we have enough adulation of everything Trump?
Nope.

But that's because any adulation is already too much adulation. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:43 pm
Nope. GOP doesn't give a rats ass about rats or anything else in the animal world that stands in the way of profit. I'm pretty certain Michael Vick was rehired by a Republican.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Hodor.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

After Trump got elected I was so shocked that I had to do a lot of research to see where I went wrong.
I think I can start with the liberal bias of the media. I've since been looking for less liberal media.
The second was here with you guys. I love you all to death but for the most part you are a liberal group.
And I agree with a lot of what you say but it did make me vulnerable to Trump's win.
My stepson is an idiot about Trump and doesn't see that anything Trump says or does is bad. I just have to keep away from politics with him. Most of the people of NW Arkansas are Trump supporters too.
I'm hoping my olde age kills me off before I see Trump reelected again.
I feel I'm just so out of touch with society.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 am

I, for one liberal, staunchly support People Eating Tasty Animals.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:04 am
pr0ner wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 12:45 am

But you empathize with them as they fall down your gullet.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

dbt's post highlighted a major problem with our current 2-party system. In short, many reasonable people are stuck in a position of either voting for a party they don't align with (Democrats), or voting for the party they align with, but that has been taken over by crazy extremists. The only solution for that is for Republicans as a whole to reign that shit in and stop voting for people they can't stomach (but pull the lever for anyway) because they're not liberals. The GOP needs a major course correction, and I just don't see it happening. We're so locked into this "us vs them" mentality that "voting for the other guy" is an insurmountable challenge.

Same thing with the NRA. The vast majority of responsible gun owners are out there faithfully paying their dues for a cause they believe in while the leadership rants and raves and takes extreme positions that don't align with the majority of its members.

At some point the American people are going to have to stop being willing to be led around on a leash by the more extreme members of their party/group whatever. But they can't be bothered to vote. They can't be bothered to muster outrage at a President who has already committed multiple impeachable offenses. They can't be bothered to give a damn when some whack job shoots a dozen kids. This complacency is quite literally destroying the country. We are all fiddling while Rome burns.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'd be OK with a 3rd party forming from the ashes of the old GOP.... the OGOP let's say.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:04 am
Still one of the best expired domain stories ever!
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm
ImLawBoy wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 4:10 pm
Holman wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:55 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:46 pm Drone strikes should not be used.
No amount of collateral damage is acceptable.
Honestly, I doubt we all agree on this.
The exercise isn't to find something we all agree on. It's to find something that someone who is the political opposite of you likely agrees with you on. In practice, this likely means a liberal would espouse a typically conservative view, and a conservative would espouse a typically liberal view.
Kurth wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:58 am

So here’s an exercise: Replying from the perspective of someone who you believe to be 180 degrees opposite from you on the political spectrum, make one statement on a political/social issue you imagine that person (hypothetical or real) holds a firm conviction about that you agree with as well.
I don't mind being corrected, but I'm not sure a one-on-one exercise means a great deal. It's not hard for me to imagine a single particular conservative who feels the way I do about a single major issue. (For example, I'm generally a Liberal Hawk, so I can easily imagine a conservative who also believes that e.g. we should embrace NATO fully and not pull back from our military commitment to our traditional allies.)

I think the spirit of the exercise ("How divided are we?") requires finding very broad rather than particular common ground. I take the question to be about what still holds our country (or even just our forum) together even though it's hard to see it. The idea is to notice what we generally have in common regardless of ideological labels.
That is pretty much what I had in mind, Holman. It’s more about thinking of a hypothetical person with political leanings 180 degrees from yours and trying to conjure up something - even something really basic - that you and that hypothetical person (or people) more or less agree upon.

Put another way, each statement could start with the preface, “By virtue of us both being Americans and fundamentally decent human beings, I and my hypothetical political opposite both probably believe that . . . “

Sorry to our Canadian and non-U.S. members, but it’s our country that’s in the shithole right now.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:49 pm A strong U.S. military is essential to both our national defense and the maintenance of stability throughout the world.
While I agree with this, I don't think you would find it to be a universal common ground in the US.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am
Kurth wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:49 pm A strong U.S. military is essential to both our national defense and the maintenance of stability throughout the world.
While I agree with this, I don't think you would find it to be a universal common ground in the US.
That’s ok. That’s not the point. It’s an idea that I agree with that I believe I share with many who are my political opposites. Not looking for universal common ground here. Not sure that ever exists.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Putin can’t be trusted.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kurth wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:10 am
Unagi wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:07 am
That’s ok. That’s not the point. It’s an idea that I agree with that I believe I share with many who are my political opposites. Not looking for universal common ground here. Not sure that ever exists.
The problem with that proposition is that it is difficult to reconcile with the foreign policy actions of the faction in control of the executive and legislative branches of the American federal government. They certainly believe that a strong military is essential to national defense, but far from caring one wit about maintaining global stability through military (or any other) means, they actively court instability if it offers them a perceived advantage.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch