Just When You Thought The NRA Couldn't Get Any More Horrible

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Just When You Thought The NRA Couldn't Get Any More Horrible

Post by tgb »

They elect Oliver fucking North president.

And as icing on the cake he delivers this bon mot about the kids from Parkland:
"They’re not activists—this is civil terrorism. This is the kind of thing that’s never been seen against a civil rights organization in America,” Oliver North told the Washington Times. “You go back to the terrible days of Jim Crow and those kinds of things—even there you didn’t have this kind of thing."
That's right. He just compared gun-control activism to Jim Crow and equated the NRA to the NAACP.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Re: Just When You Thought The NRA Couldn't Get Any More Horrible

Post by Max Peck »

He's obviously the perfect leader for the NRA. Or maybe the Klan. It's a tough call...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Makes sense me. Top military background with a record of both the highest loyalty to the president and a happily willing participant in war crimes and coverups for graft. Shit, with his "Strong Moral Compass" he should be head of the CIA.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

There are a lot of otherwise reasonable people who have bought into the NRAs fear mongering but I'm not sure what North brings to the table for them. I guess the NRA is just doubling down in the extremes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

North is a perfect choice for the organization. It is essentially the collective gun manufacturers' lobbying arm at this point so a gun runner seems like a logical choice. He has extensive subject matter expertise.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 am North is a perfect choice for the organization. It is essentially the collective gun manufacturers' lobbying arm at this point so a gun runner seems like a logical choice. He has extensive subject matter expertise.
They've already transformed from the gun manufacturers' lobby to something more radical and more sinister. Even a glance at "NRA TV" shows how far they've lent their name and propaganda to issues with no connection to gun rights.

They're still a few steps shy of declaring themselves a full-blown right-wing militia group, but that's where they're headed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:18 am
malchior wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:13 am North is a perfect choice for the organization. It is essentially the collective gun manufacturers' lobbying arm at this point so a gun runner seems like a logical choice. He has extensive subject matter expertise.
They've already transformed from the gun manufacturers' lobby to something more radical and more sinister. Even a glance at "NRA TV" shows how far they've lent their name and propaganda to issues with no connection to gun rights.

They're still a few steps shy of declaring themselves a full-blown right-wing militia group, but that's where they're headed.
John Oliver’s piece on NRA TV from earlier this season is eye opening and totally worth a look in case you missed it. That organization is downright scary.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Yep, it's the NRA that's horrible. :roll: Just look at all "their" failures listed below or here https://qz.com/1214418/the-fbi-broward- ... -shooting/

Feb. 5, 2016

The BSO received “third hand information […] by neighbor’s son that Nikolas Cruz planned to shoot up the school.” The caller, who remained anonymous, warned the BSO of an Instagram post by Nikolas Cruz in which he allegedly posed with guns and threatened to shoot up his school. The BSO determined that Cruz “possessed knives and a BB gun,” and informed Scott Peterson, an officer at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

Sept. 28, 2016

A “peer counselor” of Cruz’s reported that Cruz may have attempted suicide by gasoline ingestion, was cutting himself, and wanted to buy hunting guns. Cruz was also reported as owning hate-related symbols.

A behavioral health therapist said Cruz didn’t present immediate risk to himself and others, and the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF) asserted that Cruz was mentally stable. According to the Miami Herald, Cruz’s mother Lynda also said that day that her son “wrote hate signs on his book bag and had recently talked of buying firearms.”

Sept. 24, 2017

YouTube user “nikolas cruz” commented on a video with his intention to become a “professional school shooter.” According to the Miami Herald, “the comment is reported to the FBI in Mississippi, which fails to make the connection to Cruz in South Florida.”

Nov. 1, 2017

After Lynda Cruz’s death, Katherine Blaine, her cousin, called the police to alert them that Nikolas owned refiles, and asked that the BSO come collect them. A “close family friend” ended up taking the firearms, according to BSO.

Nov. 29, 2017

The woman who took Cruz in after his mother’s death called the BSO to say he was fighting with her 22-year-old son, and shared worrisome details. “(Cruz) bought a gun from Dick’s last week and is now going to pick it up,” the woman said, adding that he “bought tons of ammo,” and had “used a gun against (people) before” and “put the gun to others’ heads in the past.” According to the police report, Cruz apologized for losing his temper, and the family didn’t want him arrested.

Nov. 30, 2017

A caller from Massachusetts phoned the BSO to report that Cruz collected guns and knives and could be a “school shooter in the making.” A BSO deputy advised the caller to contact the Palm Beach sheriff.

Jan. 5, 2018

The FBI received a tip by “a person close to Nikolas Cruz,” alerting them to “Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting.”

But the public access line that received the tip failed to follow the protocol in place for such alerts. “The information was not provided to the Miami Field Office,” admitted the FBI, “and no further investigation was conducted at that time.”

Feb. 14, 2018

At 2:21, Peterson, the school resource officer, was in another school building when Cruz entered the scene of the shooting. He heard the shots being fired and ran towards the building—but he didn’t go in. Though Peterson was armed and trained for a mass shooter scenario, he waited outside for four minutes—until the gunshots stopped. He was suspended without pay, then resigned and retired.

May 07, 2018 11:43 AM

Updated May 07, 2018 06:23 PM

After denying for months that Parkland shooter Nikolas Cruz had any connection to a program created to soften school punishment and reduce student arrests — and characterizing assertions to the contrary as "fake news" — the Broward County school district is now acknowledging that Cruz was in fact referred to its PROMISE program.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/ ... rylink=cpy
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It must have taken you forever to put all that together. Normally you just regurgitate whatever talking points you stumble across without vetting them.

It's nice to see you put some thought and effort in this case.

I like that your post is consistently about the NRA, which is the topic being discussed, and not some sort of distraction designed to deflect criticism and change the topic at the same time.

That's how you honestly and sincerely engage people on a topic.

Well done.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Sure, but it's also a spurious argument. The local authorities can be completely incompetent and the NRA can be completely horrible all at the same time. One does not cancel the other out.
Last edited by gbasden on Sun May 13, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

GreenGoo wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm I like that your post is consistently about the NRA, which is the topic being discussed, and not some sort of distraction designed to deflect criticism and change the topic at the same time.
I'm assuming this is entirely sarcastic, since nothing he posted has a single thing to do with the NRA.

It's a step above his usual meme or sexist/racist responses though, so...progress?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Skinypupy wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm I like that your post is consistently about the NRA, which is the topic being discussed, and not some sort of distraction designed to deflect criticism and change the topic at the same time.
I'm assuming this is entirely sarcastic, since nothing he posted has a single thing to do with the NRA.

It's a step above his usual meme or sexist/racist responses though, so...progress?
Despite having him on Ignore, I was almost going to read his reply.

I'm glad I didn't.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

gbasden wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:20 pm Sore, but it's also a spurious argument. The local authorities can be completely incompetent and the NRA can be completely horrible all at the same time. One does not cancel the other out.
Ah, that is where you are wrong my friend. I can definitively prove that the NRA is not awful with compelling evidence that tomatoes are a fruit.

<drops mic...books time on Hannity>
He won. Period.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

hepcat wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:06 pm
gbasden wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:20 pm Sore, but it's also a spurious argument. The local authorities can be completely incompetent and the NRA can be completely horrible all at the same time. One does not cancel the other out.
Ah, that is where you are wrong my friend. I can definitively prove that the NRA is not awful with compelling evidence that tomatoes are a fruit.

<drops mic...books time on Hannity>
You have proven your capacity to be the perfect Fox news guest. Bravo!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

There doesn't have to be a single point of failure. If Cruz had been unable to purchase the guns in the first place, you stop this, or at least stall it significantly earlier in the timeline.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am There doesn't have to be a single point of failure. If Cruz had been unable to purchase the guns in the first place, you stop this, or at least stall it significantly earlier in the timeline.
NRA logic is that gun control can't 100% prevent 100% of gun crimes; therefore all limitations on guns are worthless.

[Coming soon: "...; therefore militia groups have a right to 120mm tank guns and Javelin missiles."]
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

My point is that of all the "groups" out there that have anything to do with crazy people shooting other people it's the least guilty group that is targeted. Shooters aren't NRA members. People committing gun crimes are much more likely to be democrats than NRA members. Why doesn't the democratic party police their own? Maybe to vote/be democrat you should give up your firearms and armed bodyguards. If you asked the NRA membership if they were ok with democrats giving up their guns I think you'd get an affirmative answer. I'm an NRA life member, I'm fine with democrats turning in their arms. Please do it for the children. We'll put an "R" and a "D" on our driver's licenses, if you have a "D" gun shops have to turn you away. Fine by me. If you can't back that idea, maybe you're the horrible one.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

OK, only if we agree that the GOP only takes Health Care away from those that voted them in, OK?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

That argument is ignorant, em2. Democrats can't act to impose the "policing" because of the NRA. Thus the NRA is at fault, not Democrats.

It's about changing attitudes and the laws on guns. The NRA fetishizes guns and militantly blocks any attempt to restrict guns, no matter how minor. In every threatened school shooting, the NRA fighting any gun seizure and demanding open carry impacts every decision not to follow up.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Zarathud wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 am That argument is ignorant, em2.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... filiation/
According to my calculations, about 68% of all firearm murders in 2014 were committed by Democrats. Only 32% of all firearms murders in 2014 were committed by Republicans.

This leads to three very important conclusions:

-Republicans aren’t to blame for the number of firearm murders, as the Democrats try to claim

-If Democrats stopped shooting people, we could reduce our firearm related murders by almost 70%

-Guns aren’t the problem, Democrats are.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Might as well quote iwannasmokedope.com and never mind the methodology that is just wrong.
"Most of the school shooters are children who wouldn’t know a conservative from a communist," said Jack Levin, Northeastern professor and co-director of the Brudnick Center on Violence and Conflict. "The idea of associating politics with these mass murders is absurd. It has absolutely nothing to do with it."
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Or other stronger factors predicting violence.
Ideology alone isn’t a significant risk factor for violence. “There’s a much stronger factor of individual personality traits that predispose people to be more aggressive in their everyday lives,” Kalmoe says, “and we see that playing out with people who engage in political violence.” Mass shooters are often found to have had histories of domestic violence, and that was true for James Hodgkinson, the shooter who attacked the congressional baseball practice in Virginia. Kalmoe says, “we often see that violent individuals have a history of violence in their personal lives. People who are abusive, or who have run afoul of the law in other ways, are more likely to endorse violence.”
:roll:
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Most of the school shooters are children who wouldn’t know a conservative from a communist
The idea that an American high school student wouldn't know a communist from a conservative is truly frightening. :shock: I guess that same student is well versed on the 63 different genders he/she/it/whatever can be, including a door knob. As in "dumb as a door knob". :mrgreen:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kids are so stupid.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:45 am There doesn't have to be a single point of failure. If Cruz had been unable to purchase the guns in the first place, you stop this, or at least stall it significantly earlier in the timeline.
Are we talking about Ted Cruz’s father and the fact that he assassinated JFK?
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Speaking of the Black Panthers, I need to learn more about the NRA

http://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/

The NRA as described pre-1971 is something I am wholly unaware of.
Rip

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 4:44 pm Speaking of the Black Panthers, I need to learn more about the NRA

http://time.com/4431356/nra-gun-control-history/

The NRA as described pre-1971 is something I am wholly unaware of.
Interesting that an ill-founded BATF raid led to them becoming more adversarial to gun control laws.