Polish Democracy Deathwatch

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

El Guapo

Polish Democracy Deathwatch

Post by El Guapo »

Poland Purges Supreme Court, and Protesters Take to Streets.

Mass protests, including by Lech Walesa. Still, I think it's far too late to have much hope for the survival of democracy in Poland. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Re: Polish Democracy Deathwatch

Post by GreenGoo »

On the plus side, they'll round up all those pesky...who do the far right hate today?

I'd stay right the fuck away from Poland for a good decade or go.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

GreenGoo wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 pm On the plus side, they'll round up all those pesky...who do the far right hate today?

I'd stay right the fuck away from Poland for a good decade or go.
Muslims are at the top of the list for the European far right these days, so I'm assuming that they're first on the list in Poland too.
Black Lives Matter.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Probably time to expel them from the EU, then. I guess they're downsizing anyway? Unintentionally?
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:41 pm Probably time to expel them from the EU, then. I guess they're downsizing anyway? Unintentionally?
The EU has invoked "article 7", which would suspend Poland's voting rights. The problem is that the geniuses constructing the system required that an article 7 vote be unanimous (not counting, I think, the suspendee). So....that's not going anywhere, and apparently the EU can't do much of anything. Oh wait, apparently the EU court system can declare Poland's judicial reform "unconstutional", which does....wait for it....absolutely nothing.

"Uh, can you guys please not destroy your democratic institutions? Please stop, or else we will have no choice but to speak quite sharply to you about this."
Black Lives Matter.