Matthew Shepard to be interred in Washington National Cathedral

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Matthew Shepard to be interred in Washington National Cathedral

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
When Matthew Shepard died on a cold night 20 years ago, after being beaten with a pistol butt and tied to a split-rail wood fence, his parents cremated the 21-year-old and kept his ashes, for fear of drawing attention to a resting place of a person who was a victim of one of the nation’s worst anti-gay hate crimes.

But now with the anniversary of their son’s murder approaching on Friday, the Shepards have decided to inter his remains inside the crypt at Washington National Cathedral, where gay-equality activists say they can be a prominent symbol and even a pilgrimage destination for the movement. Although the cause of LGBT equality has made historic advancements since Shepherd was killed, it remains divisive in many parts of a country reembracing tribalism of all kinds.
On Oct. 26, his ashes will be placed in a niche in the crypt columbarium, a private, off-limits area on the lower level of the massive Gothic cathedral, which is the seat of the Episcopal Church and a popular spot for high-profile national spiritual events. Shepard, who had been active in the Episcopal Church, will be one of about 200 people interred at the cathedral in the past century. Others include President Woodrow Wilson; Helen Keller and her teacher Anne Sullivan; and Navy Adm. George Dewey, said cathedral spokesman Kevin Eckstrom. Although visitors will not be able to access the crypt, cathedral officials are considering installing a plaque that they can view and touch, similar to one in Braille installed for Keller.

The Oct. 26 service will be open to the public and will be presided over by Washington’s Episcopal bishop, Mariann Edgar Budde, and Bishop Gene Robinson, whose 2003 ordination as the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church set off a dramatic split in the denomination that is still unfolding.
People interred at the cathedral are selected by the dean, who picks people of “national importance, someone who has made a lasting contribution to humanity,” Robinson said. It’s not a secular sainting but more of an acknowledgment of unique service.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Paingod

Re: Matthew Shepard to be interred in Washington National Cathedral

Post by Paingod »

Any moment now, I expect to see a tweet from Trump declaring that if this man was still alive, he'd vote for Trump and/or that he doesn't understand why being gay makes him special enough to warrant such an honor.

Still, a horrible crime and a good resting place.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Unfortunately, the LGBT community still continues to face such attacks regularly.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:31 pm Unfortunately, the LGBT community still continues to face such attacks regularly.
Thanks. I needed reminding and it bears repeating. Many of those were far worse than what happened to Shepard, and what happened to Shepard was horrific.
Enough

Post by Enough »

I am really happy they are doing this.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Enough wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm I am really happy they are doing this.
Same.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm
Enough wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 pm I am really happy they are doing this.
Same.
Agrred. It's wholly appropriate.

However I'm still left wanting. Maybe if they broadcast the internment over Fred Phelps" grave and also make Shirley watch from whatever hole she lives in I'd feel a bit better.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not right and not fair. The guy should be 41 now enjoying life like me.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Holman

Post by Holman »

Meanwhile, Mike Pence's wife is campaigning for a House candidate who says homosexuality should be illegal.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Enough

Post by Enough »

A co-worker's husband grew up in Laramie and knows all the involved except Matthew. She just told me that he always felt that the girls were actually more culpable than the guys that were charged. Wild.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell