The "impending civil disturbance" thread.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

The "impending civil disturbance" thread.

Post by Drazzil »

I am starting this thread to exchange information on how to prepare for civil disturbance. News items that may also indicate civil breakdown or disturbance can go here.

Myself personally? I haven't done much to prepare for one, but I have done some things that may make me useful during or after one.

Here are things that I have heard are good to have or know.

1. A "bug out" bag. Bag should contain a few changes of clothes, basic toiletries,a canteen, a first aid kit, a rechargeable flashlight, a hand powered crank radio, a flip phone [forget the smart variety] maybe some type of solar panel, a map of the surrounding area a compass and a knife. A large tin cup can serve multiple purposes. Chlorine tablets are a must. A book that shows you edible flora and fauna might be a good addition. Others I am sure will want to add or subtract things as this is by no means an expansive list.

2. Know your skills and how they would be useful to a group if shit hits the fan. Personally? I can run a kitchen. I certified as a cook and a baker. I can run an oven. I know how to scale a recipe or a formula to feed however many people I need to. I know the difference between rotten food and good food. I have a formulary book and read it every so often. I could probabally tell you the on book and secondary uses for a lot of drugs out there. I helped someone certify as a CNA, so I can work with dosages of meds. Theoretically I can also treat all types of wounds, blisters, bites, stings, hypothermia, heat stroke, foot injuries and ailments, lance boils etc. I also know CPR and Heimlich. I can dicker and trade with the best of them.

3. Keep a few hundred dollars in precious metals, along with an actual few hundred dollars cash in case the banks close or currency loses its value.

4. Keep your car gassed up with a full tank of gas in case the gas stations close in your area. Also keep your car well maintained, a spare tire, maybe a full sized one with a rim might be better then a donut. A jack and flares are a must. You might be well served to know how to change a tire and your own oil.

5. I don't know where I heard this but bikes for the whole family, with no flat tubes, or just tons of replacement tubes may work. Spare parts for the bikes might come handy. It makes sense. Bikes can go where cars cant.

6. Enough water for the family for 2-3 weeks. canned goods, ramen is a good choice. You can live on ramen, its cheap and lasts forever.

7. Know which of your friends, family and relations can do what, and who you can call on if the shit hits the fan. Make a plan man.

8. If you live in a major metro area, see if you can find a way out not a lot of people know about. Back roads, paths that are off the maps that wont be clogged to death if you need to get out in a hurry.

9. Passports. Passports for the whole family are a must.

10. Digital copies of all your important documents on a thumb drive in your "go bag" That way you have *some* record of the way things are in case the physical copies get destroyed. Physical photocopies may be a good option too.

11. Medication for sure. Any ailments you have. At least a months worth. Benadryl and Tylenol have lots of worth. Keep some on hand for its on and off book uses.
I am missing tons I'm sure. Others can add here.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Re: The "impending civil disturbance" thread.

Post by Drazzil »

2 pairs of new GOOD walking shoes and lots of clean dry socks for everyone.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Cotton is a killer. Pack wool socks. And a piano string.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jolor wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 pm Cotton is a killer. Pack wool socks. And a piano string.
Piano string?

I think cotton is supposed to be better for moisture control.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Drazzil wrote:
Jolor wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 pm Cotton is a killer. Pack wool socks. And a piano string.
Piano string?

Definetly wool. Cotton won't dry in Humid weather, wool does. Ideally poly sock liners with wool outside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Drazzil

Re: The

Post by Drazzil »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 am
Drazzil wrote:
Piano string?

Definetly wool. Cotton won't dry in Humid weather, wool does. Ideally poly sock liners with wool outside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
huh.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm too old to move.
That's why I have enough hardware and ammo to take on China if necessary.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Legitimate disaster preparation is one thing.

Deciding that now we have to prepare for the collapse of civil society will only contribute to the problem.

How about we lay off the survivalist fantasy bullshit?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wool itches.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Montag

Post by Montag »

Once you go smart wool, you never go back. I use it year round.
words
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Holman wrote:Legitimate disaster preparation is one thing.

Deciding that now we have to prepare for the collapse of civil society will only contribute to the problem.

Well I am curious about the piano string. Is it a clothes line to dry socks? A garrote? Both?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

There're a lot of bottle caps to be made in piano repair during an apocalypse. Who doesn't want a piece of that action.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 am Legitimate disaster preparation is one thing.

+1

Then again, this has been an ongoing Drazzil fantasy for years, so I am not surprised he started yet another thread about it.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You're best off prepping for a moderate-medium collapse than a complete one. The former is more likely and you really have no idea what the latter will look like (no one does).

So things like having ample cash/cash equivalents on hand, the ability to shelter in place without electricity/water, the ability to contact and gather loved ones in an emergency, etc. Oh, and take basic CPR and advanced first aid/trauma. You're a bazillion times more likely to have to use CPR or dress a wound than to need to subsist on foraged food and dirty water.

Survivalist prepping isn't a total loss, it gets people learning useful skills and asking the hard questions, but most of the time an Alpine go-bag or 10,000 sealed rounds of .223 isn't going to be of much use.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:37 am There're a lot of bottle caps to be made in piano repair during an apocalypse. Who doesn't want a piece of that action.
I've been collecting Caps for something like 20 years in preparation for this. Granted, I don't drink alcohol and only infrequently have an IBC rootbeer, so my big pickle jar I use is only 2/3 full. It should be about enough to buy a Brahmin.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

To add, I recommend some kind of everyday carry (EDC) kit, even if it's just in the trunk of your car.

Every bag/backpack/briefcase I carry has 2 chest seals, 1 tourniquet, 1mylar blanket, and 1 Israeli bandage in it
Either permenantly or in a transferable kit. Car accidents and shootings are common here so if I'm going to carry anything it's going to be for those events. Not a civil war or the zombie apocalypse.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am Well I am curious about the piano string. Is it a clothes line to dry socks? A garrote? Both?
Piano wire makes the best snares for catching small game in survival situations, so I'm guessing that was the intent.

And put me down as another +1 in the disaster readiness (good) vs prepper (silly) column.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've got a bug out bag because my dad gave me one.

I'm not overly concerned about civil unrest. People survived the '60s and we haven't reached anywhere close to that level yet.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:25 am It should be about enough to buy a Brahmin.
Or piano repair.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Piano wire is a quest item. Do not sell it or you'll be unable to complete "Eddie's Lounge."

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:29 am
$iljanus wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:09 am Well I am curious about the piano string. Is it a clothes line to dry socks? A garrote? Both?
Piano wire makes the best snares for catching small game in survival situations, so I'm guessing that was the intent.

And put me down as another +1 in the disaster readiness (good) vs prepper (silly) column.
My first instinct would be fishing line, but I have zero experience with trapping, and have spent zero time thinking about this.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 am Piano wire is a quest item. Do not sell it or you'll be unable to complete "Eddie's Lounge."
I hear Eddie will give you some lounge "perks" if you complete this quest using a character named "Larry".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:49 am
Blackhawk wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:29 am

My first instinct would be fishing line, but I have zero experience with trapping, and have spent zero time thinking about this.
The hard part about making a snare is keeping the hoop open and in the right shape until it's triggered. I went through a 'primitive outdoors' period in my mid teens where I learned everything I could about primitive survival techniques. Not that piano wire snares qualify.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you are preparing for doomsday you need the book called "How everything works".
I used to own a copy.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:56 am Legitimate disaster preparation is one thing.

This *is* a what if thread that developed to avoid pulling the trump investigation thread off topic. Why do you think I called it a "civil disturbance" thread?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am

+1

Then again, this has been an ongoing Drazzil fantasy for years, so I am not surprised he started yet another thread about it.
If the shit really does hit the fan I'm less likely then average to survive. This is no "fantasy" of mine.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:27 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am

+1

If the shit really does hit the fan I'm less likely then average to survive. This is no "fantasy" of mine.
Yes, it is. You post time and time again about this and that you hope to see it happen. It's clearly a fantasy of yours.
Hodor.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am I've got a bug out bag because my dad gave me one.

I'm not overly concerned about civil unrest. People survived the '60s and we haven't reached anywhere close to that level yet.
This is a perspective I keep coming back to. If you want to see society breaking down watch videos of the rioting in '67, the Dem convention in '68, Kent State, etc. If we start seeing that level of chaos it will be time to bump this thread.
Holman

Post by Holman »

You can also look at modern countries that have suffered a collapse of civil society and political culture. They don't turn into heroic survivalist Everyman-vs-the-Apocalypse scenarios; they turn into authoritarian one-party dictatorships or fracture into civil wars.

You spend your time bartering your family heirlooms for coffee and sugar, not living off the land while defending your fort against all comers.

In these situations, the most important survival resource is very local community cooperation, not refilling your own bullets.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All I know is that if we switch to a Scotch or board-game based economy, I'll have no worries. Anything else? Trouble.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 amTrouble.
Trouble's not worth more than half a dozen fertile chicken eggs and a small piglet. You find a mint condition Star Wars Monopoly, and you could get a new horse - with a saddle...
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:05 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 amTrouble.
Trouble's not worth more than half a dozen fertile chicken eggs and a small piglet. You find a mint condition Star Wars Monopoly, and you could get a new horse - with a saddle...
I have one still with the shrink wrap!! I've been moving it around for what, 20 years?, and feeling like a fool every time but can't bring myself to sell it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

How about Steam backlog as currency? We'd all be rich!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm How about Steam backlog as currency? We'd all be rich!
"What's your biggest regret? I mean from before The Great Disturbance?"

"That I never...I...I never enabled offline mode in Steam."

"Oh man, Jesus, I didnt know..."

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:15 pm
YellowKing wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:03 pm How about Steam backlog as currency? We'd all be rich!
"What's your biggest regret? I mean from before The Great Disturbance?"

"That I never...I...I never enabled offline mode in Steam."

"Oh man, Jesus, I didnt know..."
On the plus side, the odds of DMCA-based gangs running around enforcing copyright have got to be low. i.e. Here, have a copy of mine.

Although I guess the discussion is that those copies are now monies? I guess you wouldn't give that away for free.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

So is impending civil disturbance what's planned for election day? I'm glad I voted early! :wink:

According to Zombieland, I'll be one of the first ones to go so.... I'm not sure I'd even survive the loss of air conditioning alone.(no human made climate change is implied) LMAO :mrgreen:
Stop funding for NPR
Enough

Post by Enough »

During the civil rights era, one of the most important buildings on Colorado State University campus was burned down (Old Main). I do unfortunately think shit is going to get real with more fires and the like before we start improving again.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell