Amazon has whacked our affiliate account. Hosting Donations/Commitments $2063 of $1920 (Sept 13/18). In Hand $1466 (Lump sum payments minus paypal graft). Paypal Donation Link Here

The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

Post by malchior » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:35 pm
This is the same sort of stunt that the GOP tried in NC after the 2016 election. I think (?) the NC Supreme Court ended up ruling that those actions violated the NC constitution. I'm guessing any news laws that are passed may also wind up in the Wisconsin Supreme Court.
Partially right. The GOP lame duck session in 2016 stripped the incoming Democratic governor of several powers. One power - control of the election boards - was found to be unconstitutional because it was an executive agency and they couldn't change its nature because of the way the NC constitution was written. Otherwise, they kneecapped Cooper to some extent. And the playbook the GOP wrote from that experience probably informed the actions that are happening in Wisconsin and Michigan at the moment.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... raud-probe
The North Carolina Republican Party said Thursday that it would be open to a new election in the state’s ninth U.S. congressional district, where an absentee ballot probe is underway, if investigators can show “substantial likelihood” that the alleged fraud scheme changed the outcome of the race. Republican candidate Mark Harris unofficially leads in the race by just 905 votes over the Democrat Dan McCready.
A few days ago their stance was "You must seat him now"... if the Republicans are playing this tune now, then the details coming in must be baaaad.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:51 pm

The linchpin will be if they can tie the candidate to the malfeasance.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Sepiche wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:49 pm
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker ... raud-probe
The North Carolina Republican Party said Thursday that it would be open to a new election in the state’s ninth U.S. congressional district, where an absentee ballot probe is underway, if investigators can show “substantial likelihood” that the alleged fraud scheme changed the outcome of the race. Republican candidate Mark Harris unofficially leads in the race by just 905 votes over the Democrat Dan McCready.
A few days ago their stance was "You must seat him now"... if the Republicans are playing this tune now, then the details coming in must be baaaad.

I enjoyed this tweet.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:39 pm

WaPo
When GOP Rep. Robert Pittenger lost his primary by a narrow margin in May, he suspected something was amiss.

The congressman turned to a group of friends and family who had gathered with him on election night at a steakhouse near Charlotte and blamed the “ballot stuffers in Bladen,” according to three people at the gathering.

Pittenger’s concern stemmed from the vote tallies in rural Bladen County, where his challenger, a pastor from the Charlotte suburbs named Mark Harris, had won 437 absentee mail-in votes. Pittenger, a three-term incumbent, had received just 17.

In the days immediately after the race, aides to Pittenger told the executive director of the North Carolina Republican Party and a regional political director for the National Republican Congressional Committee that they believed fraud had occurred, according to people familiar with their discussions.

GOP officials did little to scrutinize the results, instead turning their attention to Harris’s general-election campaign against a well-funded Democratic opponent, the people said.

Their accounts provide the first indication that state and national Republican officials received early warnings about voting irregularities in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District, now the subject of multiple criminal probes.

A spokesman for the NRCC denied that Pittenger’s campaign raised the possibility of fraud in the primary.
Silver - 3k

People who are wrong often get mad at people who are right. (I have surprisingly never been shot.) (h/t Kevin Underhill, Lowering the Bar)

Holman

Post by Holman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Head of the Executive Branch wrote:Does the Fake News Media ever mention the fact that Republicans, with the very important help of my campaign Rallies, WON THE UNITED STATES SENATE, 53 to 47? All I hear is that the Open Border Dems won the House. Senate alone approves judges & others. Big Republican Win!
"ALL IS WELL!"

(I kinda think this tweet must infuriate Republicans [who could have won a senate supermajority without Trump dragging them down] more than the rest of us.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm

Am I correct in reading that a big win for republicans is losing a seat? Who wants to let me know per capita how many people voted for blue senators and how many voted for red?

Daehawk
Snooze

Post by Daehawk » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:43 pm

I hope when his term is over that the media hound him into the poor house and dig up tons of shit dirt on him.
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-di ... -wife-died ....Help for me to take care of stuff . Wife died Jan 9 2019 after 31 years. My soulmate.
---------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
GroovAtroN, stop asking
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm

LordMortis wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm
Am I correct in reading that a big win for republicans is losing a seat? Who wants to let me know per capita how many people voted for blue senators and how many voted for red?
I really hope it's 1 per capita.

Holman

Post by Holman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 pm

LordMortis wrote:
Well, the Republicans gained 2 seats in the election. That to Trump is a BIG WIN.

Never mind that this was the most favorable possible map for the GOP, and that in a normal (Clinton/Bush2/Obama) cycle it might have gained them as many as 10 new seats.

Re-reading the tweet, I suspect Trump believes the whole senate is up for election every time.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 pm

Alefroth wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:46 pm
LordMortis wrote:
I really hope it's 1 per capita.
Thank.

You.

Unagi

Post by Unagi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 pm

He is asking how many voters/heads/people/capita voted for Dems Senators vs Rep Senators - - not the per state number we all know.
He wants people counted by head, not as a group/state.

of course you guys know that, but want to make it sound like he said how many votes per person.

Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 am

Holman wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 pm
Re-reading the tweet, I suspect Trump believes the whole senate is up for election every time.
OMG you're right! I missed it the first time, too. What a f'ing moron.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:33 am

Democrats are officially up to a 40 seat pickup in the House.

Only thing left undetermined is the clusterfuck in NC-9.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:54 am

Twist!

Sounds materially different from what Harris is accused of, but at a minimum it likely muddies the waters politically.

stessier

Post by stessier » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Muddies the water but would seem to strenghten the case for a do-over.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Clearly we can't trust North Carolina to vote correctly. So from now on, I propose that Californians vote for them.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 am

New election looking likely in NC-9.

Ultimately up to the NC board of elections, but given the mounting evidence even the NC GOP is saying that a new election will likely be needed.

Which, given that I believe the Republicans will be required to run the soon-to-be-felon candidate, and given that they had a very narrow (905 vote) margin to begin with, seems likely to tilt the Democrats' way, but who knows.

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Have we specifically mentioned here yet that Harris personally directed the hiring of one of the goons now accused of collecting ballots?
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/nc-hou ... llegations
North Carolina House candidate Mark Harris personally directed the hiring of a campaign aide who is now at the center of an investigation of election fraud, according to the Washington Post.

Harris sought out the local strategist, Leslie McCrae Dowless, after narrowly losing his 2016 primary to Rep. Robert Pittenger (R-NC), per the Post. Harris was gearing up for a rematch, and Dowless had helped a third candidate in that race achieve lopsided results in early voting — numbers that Dowless replicated for Harris’s campaign in both the primary and general election in 2018. How he got those numbers is now under investigation, with multiple people saying Dowless illegally took unsealed ballots from voters and alleging that he didn’t send in ballots from Democratic voters.