The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

Post by Zaxxon »

Woo, my own House district (CO-6) flipped to blue.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm pretty much ready to just split the US into two separate nations. All the straight white people that want to can go live in one section (call it God's Country, we'll fence off a few states in the Midwest) where they can shoot guns and go to church and leave the rest of us alone. There they can enact all their crazy Handmaiden's Tale Laws and see how that works out for them.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Hah, Kris Korbach lost the governorship of Kansas to the Democrat. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
Last edited by Grifman on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 pmI'd like to give a special F.U. to Rodney Frelinghuysen. I hope you have chronic diarrhea the rest of your shitty life.
Here here. I imagine his monocle popped right out when he saw his seat go blue.
gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm Not really the blue wave we were hoping for but Dems are officially called to take control of the House now.
I'm looking forward to dissecting this. I would lay money on the fact that the Dems take 57 or 58% of the national tally and still somehow barely squeak through with a majority.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

gilraen wrote:Not really the blue wave we were hoping for but Dems are officially called to take control of the House now.
Meeeeh

Considering the massive systemic hurdles, it kinda is a wave. Did they take both houses no. Did they dominate across the board. But they beat a built in seven or eight point bias not even including all the voter suppression. And still picked up 23 plus seats. O Rourke just scared the shit out of Cruz. The governor pickups are HUGE. The census implications are potentially major. (I haven't seen the local state results but presumably they reflect the national.)
Beware the both sides narrative.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Got a minor (very minor) victory in the NC propositions. Looks like the two propositions that would tilt judicial appointments and an independent commission to the GOP got knocked down pretty handily. Unfortunately it appears the stupid Voter ID thing is going to pass with flying colors.

And pretty much every other seat on the ballot went to the Republicans. So tired of living in this redneck shithole.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yay, six more years of looking at Ted Cruz’s sniveling face and hearing his nasally whine.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm I'm pretty much ready to just split the US into two separate nations. All the straight white people that want to can go live in one section (call it God's Country, we'll fence off a few states in the Midwest) where they can shoot guns and go to church and leave the rest of us alone. There they can enact all their crazy Handmaiden's Tale Laws and see how that works out for them.
You and me both. Ugh.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:23 pm Not really the blue wave we were hoping for but Dems are officially called to take control of the House now.
Looking like it will be somewhere between the wave you all were expecting and the ripple that I forecast. Sorry to see the Dems lose ground in the Senate, but that was widely expected. They were defending the worst map since 1936 (or something like that). Is it too early to start thinking about 2020?

Unsurprisingly, no surprises in MA.

BTW, the NYT has unlimited free articles for today and tomorrow.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 pm
gilraen wrote:Not really the blue wave we were hoping for but Dems are officially called to take control of the House now.
Meeeeh

Considering the massive systemic hurdles, it kinda is a wave. Did they take both houses no. Did they dominate across the board. But they beat a built in seven or eight point bias not even including all the voter suppression. And still picked up 23 plus seats. O Rourke just scared the shit out of Cruz. The governor pickups are HUGE. The census implications are potentially major. (I haven't seen the local state results but presumably they reflect the national.)

This is more in line with my thoughts. The governorships and state leg. are insanely important for the census. The Senate was always going to be a long shot. The house, it looks as if it's coming the D's way. The systemic hurdles in place are huge; this is a pretty good result. Not great. Losing the Senate further sucks; but it was going to be a long shot. I just hope they get Fl senate and Gov. Doubtful though.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

gbasden wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:30 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:25 pm I'm pretty much ready to just split the US into two separate nations. All the straight white people that want to can go live in one section (call it God's Country, we'll fence off a few states in the Midwest) where they can shoot guns and go to church and leave the rest of us alone. There they can enact all their crazy Handmaiden's Tale Laws and see how that works out for them.
You and me both. Ugh.
How long, though, before the United States of God's America rage war to "take back their lands" from the Godless running dogs of liberalia?
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Think I'll go play a game now. I was seriously worried that the R's would somehow hold both. Sure Captain Orange can spin this somehow into a victory, but at the end of the day he has lost a lot of power. I think if we didn't have the whole BS caravan shit we might have had more of a shot in the Senate.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Looks like the Dems will in fact take the House, but I’m still disgusted that the executive, judicial and half the legislative bodies are Trumpian. That’s beyond disturbing.

Also, really was hoping both Abrams and Gillum would win in Ga and Fl, respectively, but that seems unlikely now. Maybe a runoff in Florida?
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I was kind of hoping for Cruz to lose so that he would be free to challenge the Orange one for the 2020 GOP Prez nod. I know wishful thinking, but would have been cool.
Bayraktar!!!!

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Even with Taylor Swift and the 700+% boost in voting my state of TN stayed stupid and voted Republican senate and gov.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When it was apparent that they would lose the House, Trump deliberately threw some R congressmen under the bus by focusing on xenophobia rather than playing up the economy. His House members needed suburban soccer moms to win -- cities already break blue, and rural areas are reliably red, so the burbs decide close House districts. Senate races, being statewide, aren't affected by the gerrymander. So scaring all those rural voters to the polls locked in the Senate, at the expense of alienating the soccer moms who could have delivered a few more House seats.

In the sense of damage control, it really is a win for Trump. If he hadn't doubled down on racism, he would have lost the House by a smaller margin but might have lost the Senate as well.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wow, McCaskill seems to be getting destroyed right now. Was that expected?
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

How in the hell is Bill Nelson getting more votes in Florida than Andrew Gillum? Under no circumstances did I see that happening.

The Democrats did what they needed to do. It looks like they won the house, and they are making ground in the state legislatures. Tonight is a good night. But it feels like 2016 all over again unless Gillum and Nelson can somehow pull this out.

EDIT: I'm seeing reports that Gillum has conceded. :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund: :grund:
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

msteelers wrote:How in the hell is Bill Nelson getting more votes in Florida than Andrew Gillum?
See: FBI investigation
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

So it looks like Paul Ryan's chosen successor, Bryan Steil won. That's good. Wait, which forum is this? I mean "Boo!". Boo on all Trumpet Republicans. It's Armageddon! I can't believe all those morons voting for stupid Republicans.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Moliere wrote:So it looks like Paul Ryan's chosen successor, Bryan Steil won. That's good. Wait, which forum is this? I mean "Boo!". Boo on all Trumpet Republicans. It's Armageddon! I can't believe all those morons voting for stupid Republicans.
Not sure what you’re getting at, since many if not all the Republican Trump critics have just been purged. Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning though.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pete Sessions has to look for a new job. I may not be getting rid of Michael Burgess, but Sessions was a bigger fish.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:58 pm
msteelers wrote:How in the hell is Bill Nelson getting more votes in Florida than Andrew Gillum?
See: FBI investigation
Obviously, but I don't understand the mindset of someone who voted for Nelson but not Gillum.

More people voted for Scott over DeSantis too. Is it common for Senate races to get more votes than high profile Governor's races?
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:02 am
Moliere wrote:So it looks like Paul Ryan's chosen successor, Bryan Steil won. That's good. Wait, which forum is this? I mean "Boo!". Boo on all Trumpet Republicans. It's Armageddon! I can't believe all those morons voting for stupid Republicans.
Not sure what you’re getting at, since many if not all the Republican Trump critics have just been purged. Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning though.
I believe he's implying that Republicans are just fine and we are all hair on fire insane to be despairing. I think he's nuts, but whatever.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That'll do pig. That'll do.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Silver lining: So called Independent (voters) apparently came to their senses since 2016.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

You and me both. Ugh.
This is why Democrats continue to lose.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

It's also a bad time to point out that the winner of the Florida Governor's race will appoint three new Supreme Court justices on their first day in office.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Newcastle wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 pm
Combustible Lemur wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:28 pm
Meeeeh

This is more in line with my thoughts. The governorships and state leg. are insanely important for the census. The Senate was always going to be a long shot. The house, it looks as if it's coming the D's way. The systemic hurdles in place are huge; this is a pretty good result. Not great. Losing the Senate further sucks; but it was going to be a long shot. I just hope they get Fl senate and Gov. Doubtful though.
Yeah, current projections I think are something like a +36 seat pickup for the Democrats, materially about the +23 they needed to get control. It's a pretty significant wave, that only looks small in comparison to the +50 or +60 they could have gotten if everything had broken their way.

And some big upsets, including OK-5 and NY-11.

Also last I checked Walker is down, but not yet out. God I hope that asshole loses.
Black Lives Matter.
geezer

Post by geezer »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:14 am
You and me both. Ugh.
This idea that democrats keep losing because they call fearmongeing racists fearmongering racists is tired. And stupid. Especially when republicans keep winning by lying incessantly and shamelessly about the true state of things and stoking racist fears.
Last edited by geezer on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Senate is not looking great, though. :cry:

But in terms of putting out the fire, at least temporarily, taking the House is huge.
Black Lives Matter.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

The Oregonian calls it for Kate Brown.

/whew
malchior

Post by malchior »

You and me both. Ugh.
Lol The actual reason is Republicans "cheating" practically everywhere combined with the longevity of old, white, and racist rural boomers.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Up until today, Trump's cabana boy (Randy Hultgren) was favored in my house district that never elected (1) a democrat (2) a woman and (3) a minority. I guess Obama's campaign appearance had some effect, today I heard Lauren Underwood was ahead and now Hultgren just conceded. Woo!
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

geezer wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:20 am
You and me both. Ugh.
This idea that democrats keep losing because they call fearmongeing racists fearmongering racists is tired. And stupid. Especially when republicans keep winning by lying incessantly and shamelessly about the true state of things and stoking racist fears.
Yes. This times a thousand.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Also we overthrew our POS elephant governor. Woo woo!
Black Lives Matter
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

I was looking here https://www.realclearpolitics.com/elect ... /governor/
to check governor results. Not liking what i see so far. Despite winning the house, this is a good showing for trump. They won Ohio & FL. That's really shitty for the Dems for now and in the future.

I can only hope the House passes some electoral reforms like election security for starters and then launch a massive broadside into the Trumps. I really want to see them put election security and reforms on the front burner. IE paper ballots and not use machines, more campaign finance reform (hard to pass I know).

The other takeaway from this, a lot of people believe in Trump. There's a lot of people hearing and listening to his message. That's unsettling. The D's have to figure out a way to craft a message that resonates with them. I think its creating a message more in the center than on the far fringes of the left. But that's just me. The D's have to look in the mirror and find something that works.
Bayraktar!!!!

Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Trump tweeting thanking for the tremendous success. He does know how this all works right? RIght?
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Utah is going about as expected, with Romney winning decisively (blech) and the McAdams/Mia Love race too close to call. McAdams has a sizable lead at the moment, but tallies are still coming in from heavily conservative Utah County (I.e. Mormonland)

Prop 2 to legalize medical marijuana is doing surprisingly well, although that’s still close to call as well. Probably won’t know final results on either until Thurs or Fri.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It is beginning to look like Lance is going down here in NJ. Not my district but a bit of a surprise. He is in a pretty reliable R stronghold. NJ swung pretty hard this cycle overall.