The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The MidTerm Elections thread (2018)

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 pm Voted this morning at 9am and had to wait in line for about 30 minutes before being able to use machine. My town only has about 2200 people (as of the last census) so it was rather surprising as I didn't need to wait nearly as long in the 2016 election.
My central NJ town of 40K or so has 27 polling places. I walked over to there, walked in, signed the paper, and voted and walked home in under 10 minutes. I happen to be extremely close to mine though (local R.C. rec center around the corner). It was light. The workers said it was hectic early morning. Also, there was a monitor there for those inclined to care about these things but then again we were on the list for DOJ monitoring so I wasn't super surprised.
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

My wife and I voted early for Beto and Colin Allred (who has a good chance to flip our district-- TX32).

Unfortunately, our two Beto votes are more than offset by her parents, her sister, and her sister's husband. But there definitely is some Beto magic happening, especially in our neighborhood. I'm skeptical it'll be enough though. Texas is big and red and does everything it can to diminish Democratic turnout.
Last edited by Captain Caveman on Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 pm
No to drinking straw ban. Wtf.
Why the WTF? Single use plastic straws are pretty awful (Google the video of one being pulled out a a turtle's nose). A ban on all types of straws without exception is misguided (straws can be made of degradable materials, straws are essential for some disabled people, etc.), but I'm all for getting rid of plastic straws.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:42 amBETO
Please make this happen.
I'm on board. There are 28 million other Texans that may have other ideas, though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I never get a sticker. Usually it's just a lame 2" square piece of paper, but it must be a special year because I got a paper wrist band this time.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:44 pm
Why the WTF? Single use plastic straws are pretty awful (Google the video of one being pulled out a a turtle's nose). A ban on all types of straws without exception is misguided (straws can be made of degradable materials, straws are essential for some disabled people, etc.), but I'm all for getting rid of plastic straws.
I was a bit skeptical of paper straws, until we got one last weekend. They were every bit as sturdy as plastic. It's a good change.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I'm against plastic straws too, but I think this is a waste of resources and effort.
Who is going to enforce this? What's the penalty?
I also voted "NO".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I don't have a problem in principle (they're banned in our house except for bubble tea) but it's largely unenforcable. The real problem is people littering but the burden will go to everyone but.

The wording bans the "use of". Are they going to fine people on the street? Are they going to check cups at the border? Will they do a chemical composition test? It's absurd.

You want to stop plastic straws? Hit restaurants that use them with a tax/fee for plastic at the source. Like with plastic bags.

Don't try to ban the use of them when the real problem is improper disposal/waste.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Just got back from voting here. With the caveat that this is the richest county in Kansas (meaning we have a very well funded election system) this was the longest lines I've ever seen to vote including presidential election years. That said, because this is rich, white Kansas that was only about a 10 minute wait, but that the first time I've ever not been able to just walk in and immediately vote.

They even said from 7 - about 10 they had a solid line snaking out the door which is highly unusual here. I live in traditionally purple suburbs that are prime territory to flip blue so here's hoping that's a good sign.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The Atherton Elementary School, which is serving as a polling place in Michigan, is holding armed intruder training sessions on Election Day. But don’t worry: The district informed voters that they should not be alarmed if they hear gunshots and see people fleeing the campus. There will also be several police vehicles in the parking lot from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
:clap:

Polling place failures.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

538's live blog

They've frozen their forecasts, with a final result of:

Generic Ballot: +8.7 for the Democrats
House: 87.9% chance Democrats win the House
Senate: 80.9% for the Republicans
Governorship: 24D v 26R
naednek

Post by naednek »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:54 pm
I was a bit skeptical of paper straws, until we got one last weekend. They were every bit as sturdy as plastic. It's a good change.
has a strange taste
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Tiffany Eichner of OKC is a registered Republican but voted straight Democrat because of the Kavanaugh hearings.
I do wonder if more stories like this are going to trickle in over the course of the day.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:46 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:57 am
coopasonic wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:42 amBETO
Please make this happen.
I'm on board. There are 28 million other Texans that may have other ideas, though.

I spent more time walking from my car to the front door of city hall than I did waiting in line.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I just got back from voting. About 55 people in line by my count when I got there and the line was just as long when I left. They had 8 voting tablets and it took about 40 minutes.

Out only ballot question was if we should make the State School Superintendent an appointed position rather than an elected position. I voted to keep it elected.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Only a 14% chance of apocalypse. Guess that isn't so bad. I'll just go lay down for a little while.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:08 pm Only a 14% chance of apocalypse. Guess that isn't so bad. I'll just go lay down for a little while.
Apocalypse has no path to victory. It's a lock. Bet on it.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Well, at least the apocalypse would have a pretty clear ending, sooner rather than later, so cheer up, there's that to look forward to
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Polls opened at 7:00, I was in line at 6:50.

There were about 20 people ahead of me. MI just got rid of straight ticket voting so everybody was taking a bit longer.

I was out at 7:27.

I went and got breakfast. Now I am waiting until 17:00 to drink.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

In and out in 15 minutes. We were in line behind one guy to get our ballots and a few minutes to fill out the manual ballots with around 40 elected positions (~10 I skipped because they were unopposed) and 2 ballot initiatives (and I even knew what they were about and how I wanted to vote on them!) Apparently there are a lot of judges getting elected around here.

Hardest choices were positions that had R or L choices. Can I choose "no"?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Z-Corn wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:39 pm Polls opened at 7:00, I was in line at 6:50.

There were about 20 people ahead of me. MI just got rid of straight ticket voting so everybody was taking a bit longer.

I was out at 7:27.

I went and got breakfast. Now I am waiting until 17:00 to drink.
At noon, there was no line and plenty space and they were breaking privacy rules because the ballots were way too back for the privacy D&D DM screens they provided. The ballots were a yard long and we were provided with 18" of space to fill them out.

I had to go slow. As much as I thought I was informed I was blindsided by two long form mills that took about four reads through to understand. All the more reason to scream why are 20 years behind on passing something like prop 3 and howcome so many seem to have bypassed the law and got away with getting an early ballot? Two more reasons why I've started voting defensively for the first time in the last few years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

From purely anecdotal evidence, our voter ID initiative is going to pass with flying colors. I've had a number of FB friends express shock and outrage that nobody asked them for a photo ID at the polls.

It's one of those "common sense" proposals that resonates with people who don't think about the true ramifications. In fact, every proposal on the ballot this year sounds at first blush like a great idea, even though at best they are completely unnecessary and at worst blatant attempts to rig things in favor of the GOP.

I will be shocked if any of them fail to pass.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Mailed mine in 2 weeks ago. Easy peasy.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm From purely anecdotal evidence, our voter ID initiative is going to pass with flying colors. I've had a number of FB friends express shock and outrage that nobody asked them for a photo ID at the polls.

It's one of those "common sense" proposals that resonates with people who don't think about the true ramifications. In fact, every proposal on the ballot this year sounds at first blush like a great idea, even though at best they are completely unnecessary and at worst blatant attempts to rig things in favor of the GOP.

In this age of foreign powers trying to influence our elections, I don't think it's as completely unnecessary as it was years ago. Bush v. Gore was close enough that it's a reasonable precaution. With the list of Republican shenanigans increasing daily, I put nothing past them and you may be glad you have voter ID laws a decade from now.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:03 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:50 pm From purely anecdotal evidence, our voter ID initiative is going to pass with flying colors. I've had a number of FB friends express shock and outrage that nobody asked them for a photo ID at the polls.

In this age of foreign powers trying to influence our elections, I don't think it's as completely unnecessary as it was years ago. Bush v. Gore was close enough that it's a reasonable precaution. With the list of Republican shenanigans increasing daily, I put nothing past them and you may be glad you have voter ID laws a decade from now.
I'd be ok with voter ID laws if they *also* made it easy for people to get those IDs. But it never works that way.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Malificent wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:07 pm

I'd be ok with voter ID laws if they *also* made it easy for people to get those IDs. But it never works that way.
Yeah. It's damn near impossible to get a picture ID.
Black Lives Matter

malchior

Post by malchior »

noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Snark detected. It isn't a coincidence that a majority of the people that have legitimate trouble getting picture IDs vote Democrat. It sounds reasonable until you figure that it addresses a problem that barely exists and disproportionately affects the poor and minorities. Also ask the Native American population in North Dakota how they feel about getting a picture ID (with address) when they are technically homeless according to their state law.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Having waited 6+ hours in line to get my driver's license renewed the last time I did it, I can understand how it might be difficult for someone who works a low paying hourly job without flexibility to get one. Or for someone who doesn't drive. Or for someone who doesn't have a lot of mobility. I don't even want to think about what NC's new RealID is going to require in time and preparation.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My response to anyone who wants "common sense" voter ID is to ask how they feel about "common sense" firearms ID cards.

Funny thing is the group that demands for IDs for one is vehemently opposed to the other and vice versa. I say both is fine, none is fine. But having one and not the other is hypocritical.

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:25 pm
noxiousdog wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Snark detected. It isn't a coincidence that a majority of the people that have legitimate trouble getting picture IDs vote Democrat either. Ask the Native American population in North Dakota how they feel about it.
Of course it's not a coincidence.

But Republicans aren't going to stop and they are going to perfect the loopholes available.
Black Lives Matter

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In more pessimistic news, I only counted 4 “I voted” stickers in my undergrad class of 51 students. Even worse, two students were wearing Duke-branded clothing.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm
The Atherton Elementary School, which is serving as a polling place in Michigan, is holding armed intruder training sessions on Election Day. But don’t worry: The district informed voters that they should not be alarmed if they hear gunshots and see people fleeing the campus. There will also be several police vehicles in the parking lot from 8:00 a.m. to noon.
:clap:

Polling place failures.
Gee....wonder how that happened in South Eastern Flint......puzzling. :roll:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm In more pessimistic news, I only counted 4 “I voted” stickers in my undergrad class of 51 students. Even worse, two students were wearing Duke-branded clothing.
I have no urge to wear a sticker. I have a hangup against branding, unless its a concert TShirt or its the 80s and it's a free TShirt with a pack of smokes.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 pm In more pessimistic news, I only counted 4 “I voted” stickers in my undergrad class of 51 students. Even worse, two students were wearing Duke-branded clothing.
So, other than now knowing 2 kids are certain to fail your course, we need to know what other action you are taking to get them out to vote. :wink:
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

If it makes you feel any better, I wouldn't wear the sticker.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:47 pm
I have no urge to wear a sticker. I have a hangup against branding, unless its a concert TShirt or its the 80s and it's a free TShirt with a pack of smokes.
They give out wristbands here. The kind you get a clubs/bars.

They say, "I voted, did you?" Always seems kind of accusatory.

MYT
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

WA state has been mail-in voting for yeeeears, so i forget what going to the polling place is like. :( and only this year did they provide pre-paid return envelopes! (i would walk them to a drop-off box to avoid paying postage [aka 'poll tax'] until now)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:11 pm They say, "I voted, did you?" Always seems kind of accusatory.
As much as I post like an idiot with no sense of control here, I'm not a fan of calling attention to my presence in person. I'm not a fan "identifying" and I'm almost as much as I despise being putting "on the spot" I don't want to feel like I"m an a position to put someone else "on the spot" and the "I Voted' sticker seems to do all that. It's feels like a Heathers or "spirit week" thing. Like if someone came to you and said we're all dressing up for Halloween at work this year. This is optional. The lunch and photo session will be from noon to two. Sign up here for a dish to pass.

So the work Christmas exchange and work "such and such is pregnant so we thought we do a small informal gift and card and lunch. This is optional..." are constants in my life, usually spread by friggin H friggen R.