The Elizabeth Warren Sideshow

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zarathud

Re: The Elizabeth Warren Sideshow

Post by Zarathud »

Or maybe there’s still a Hillary aftertaste.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

For everyone who just can't seem to quit her, a NYT opinion on her endorsement and role in the election.
Four years ago, Ms. Warren stayed neutral in the Democratic primary between Mr. Sanders and Mrs. Clinton, and during the general election she used her influence among liberals to push Mrs. Clinton to make more left-leaning personnel choices in her transition team. “That was the template that she designed in 2016,” Mr. Fallon said. “Wait back, hold until the nomination is settled and then be very practical and hard-boiled about what your asks are.”
There's more to it than that, but that's the nut graf.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:54 pm For everyone who just can't seem to quit her, a NYT opinion on her endorsement and role in the election.
Four years ago, Ms. Warren stayed neutral in the Democratic primary between Mr. Sanders and Mrs. Clinton, and during the general election she used her influence among liberals to push Mrs. Clinton to make more left-leaning personnel choices in her transition team. “That was the template that she designed in 2016,” Mr. Fallon said. “Wait back, hold until the nomination is settled and then be very practical and hard-boiled about what your asks are.”
There's more to it than that, but that's the nut graf.

Yeah. She's unlikely to wade past the fact that Bernie Sanders is personally unlikable (or that she doesen't like him) to withhold her endorsement of the canidate who has policy plans most like hers, when they need it the most, when we on the left are LOSING a battle for our f'ing lives.

As a leftist myself, I've learned a great deal about Elizabeth Warren and will be unlikely to support her in any future endaevors.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:39 am I don't think it makes much sense for Bernie to pick Warren as VP; their policies and their supporters overlap too much already. I think someone like Abrams would be a good choice for Bernie. Or maybe Andrew Gillum. Someone young who can appeal to wide swathes of the party and shore up some support in Southern states.
Looks like Gillum is "out" :mrgreen:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... dosed.html
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's Warren's plan to protect the election. Remind me again why Democrats like Joe Biden better?
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Kraken wrote:Here's Warren's plan to protect the election. Remind me again why Democrats like Joe Biden better?
Dick

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Kraken wrote:Here's Warren's plan to protect the election. Remind me again why Democrats like Joe Biden better?
Dick

Also, she made a huge mistake in announcing how she was going to pay for M4A too soon. She got bogged down in attacks on the details and tax fear mongering.

It cratered her.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:36 am
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Dick

Also, she made a huge mistake in announcing how she was going to pay for M4A too soon. She got bogged down in attacks on the details and tax fear mongering.

It cratered her.
Nah. Bernie barely had a better answer to the same question and he stayed alive.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:05 pm
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Dick

It cratered her.
Nah. Bernie barely had a better answer to the same question and he stayed alive.
I think her core problem (aside from being a woman) was that she was positioned as a middle ground between Sanders and the Democratic mainstream. I think that made sense, but she wound up being insufficiently appealing to both.

I will say that I was somewhat surprised by how resistant the party leadership seemed to be to her candidacy.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Combustible Lemur wrote:
Dick

It cratered her.
Bernie had a completely different base with cult like approval.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:20 pm
Combustible Lemur wrote:
Dick

It cratered her.
Bernie had a completely different base with cult like approval.
Right but it barely registered a blip on him yet it was a huge single factor that took down her campaign? It's too pat. There was a lot more to it.
I think her core problem (aside from being a woman) was that she was positioned as a middle ground between Sanders and the Democratic mainstream. I think that made sense, but she wound up being insufficiently appealing to both.
I think this is way closer to the actual why. She was in the right position policy wise but didn't sell the message that she could bridge that divide. Joe has essentially done that to get Bernie to drop. Warren if she had the right team or maybe the communications skills, could have been that person but it just never stuck. The upside is she is a policy person. Her best place to be most effective is probably the Senate so this isn't a bad outcome.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

She made two tactical mistakes: First, engaging on the cost of her M4A plan. Because details were a big part of her brand, IDK if she could have avoided that one. Second was trying to float above the fray as the unity candidate just as the others started taking swings at each other. She's a natural fighter who should've joined the brawl instead of playing meek and mild for a month. By the time she finally attacked again (Bloomberg), it was too late.

Strategically, being female in the aftermath of Clinton's defeat probably would've been fatal even if she'd avoided those tactical errors. Not much she could do about that.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I really don’t get the Elizabeth Warren candidacy. I get that she’s a policy nerd, but why does anyone look at the world around us think that what we need is a policy nerd?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 pm I really don’t get the Elizabeth Warren candidacy. I get that she’s a policy nerd, but why does anyone look at the world around us think that what we need is a policy nerd?
She's whip-smart, extraordinarily competent, and the senator most known for fighting corruption in business and government.

Think of how badly that's needed after Trump.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

RunningMn9 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:25 pm I really don’t get the Elizabeth Warren candidacy. I get that she’s a policy nerd, but why does anyone look at the world around us think that what we need is a policy nerd?
I assume this is meant sarcastically? A policy nerd would have helped prevent what we're seeing now.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:05 pm She's a natural fighter who should've joined the brawl instead of playing meek and mild for a month. By the time she finally attacked again (Bloomberg), it was too late.
Still, watching her rip out Bloomberg's shriveled, still-beating heart and toss it to the debate crowd was one of the finest moments of the campaign.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

It’s not even a little bit sarcastic. I truly don’t get it.

Edit to add: clearly I’m not alone in this.
Last edited by RunningMn9 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Deleted
Make up bags of change
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:28 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:05 pm She's a natural fighter who should've joined the brawl instead of playing meek and mild for a month. By the time she finally attacked again (Bloomberg), it was too late.
Still, watching her rip out Bloomberg's shriveled, still-beating heart and toss it to the debate crowd was one of the finest moments of the campaign.
Yes, and what I wouldn't give to see Trump get the same treatment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

RunningMn9 wrote:I really don’t get the Elizabeth Warren candidacy. I get that she’s a policy nerd, but why does anyone look at the world around us think that what we need is a policy nerd?
Not a policy nerd, a competency nerd.

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 pm
RunningMn9 wrote:I really don’t get the Elizabeth Warren candidacy. I get that she’s a policy nerd, but why does anyone look at the world around us think that what we need is a policy nerd?
Not a policy nerd, a competency nerd.
I think that might be the problem. I don't see her as especially competent.

Despite her grand ideas, here are the bills she sponsored that were passed.

Meh.

I would have voted for her over anyone else in the Democratic Primary, but I can see why people are not enamored.I say would have because I was voting against Bernie and picked the front runner.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Warren's essential workers' bill of rights for the next stimulus bill. As long as we're throwing $trillions around, we might as well stop treating essential workers as disposable workers.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

News flash: Elizabeth Warren isn't running for president!
“Joe Biden is running for re-election in 2024. My job right now is to help him succeed,” Warren, 71, said when asked if she would consider running for president again to ensure her policy vision is enacted. So she’s not ruling it out? “I’m not running for president, no,” she said, chuckling from her Zoom window, an are-you-crazy look on her face.

That doesn’t mean she’s any less determined to see her ideas become law. In her latest book, “Persist,” released last week, Warren continues pushing her policy vision on the man who bested her for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination and ultimately the White House. It’s part of her larger effort to make sweeping change in a moment of crisis, although it’s not clear whether, having been passed over for a perch in the administration herself, the tools at hand will be enough.

“I want more, I’ve made that clear,” Warren said during Friday’s interview, referring to Biden’s child care plan, wearing a gray sweatshirt and sipping tea in the sunroom of her Cambridge home. “We had a child care crisis before the pandemic, but the pandemic has ripped back the covering.”

But where the Massachusetts senator — a figure who made her name lambasting Republicans and Democrats alike after the last financial crisis — could have dialed up her criticism of the White House, she instead heaped on the praise.

“He already gets the basic idea, and he’s already willing to make a big commitment,” Warren said of Biden’s child care plan. “We just need to push him to make a bigger commitment.”

Her party back in control of Washington, Warren is working to shape her deeply held progressive beliefs into consensus Democratic policy with an inside game of influence and private lobbying, while asking her supporters to use the power of persuasion to bring the White House along — a departure from the more oppositional tack she has sometimes pursued.
Given all she’s learned, what would it take for a woman to win?

“I don’t know,” she acknowledged, and paused.

“Winning the presidency is about a moment,” she said. “The world keeps changing.”

For now, her focus is still on influencing the current president. “We’re only 100 days in.”
She also announced that she will run for reelection in '24. 'Course, all bets are off if Biden dies or doesn't run for a second term. IDK if Warren would automatically fall in line behind Harris.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Biden is running for a second term.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 pm Biden is running for a second term.
You keep saying that. I believe that he will if his health allows.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 pm
Sure. I mean, if he's dead he's not running. If he's not, he's running as long as he's not in a coma.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:50 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:45 pm
Sure. I mean, if he's dead he's not running. If he's not, he's running as long as he's not in a coma.
Based on his behavior following Beau's death, I think he'll take a hard look at his physical and mental stamina in 2024 and step aside if he thinks that Kamala would be better for the country and party. He won't be Zombie Joe. I hope he's up for another run, but I'm not taking that as given.

Back on topic, I'm pleased that Warren is happy to continue being my senator as long as Biden's in the driver's seat.