All things Ruth Bader Ginsburg

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

All things Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by Alefroth »

Would it be better if she resigned and was replaced before the election so that couldn't be used a rallying point?
gilraen

Re: All things Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Post by gilraen »

Replaced with another pick from the Federalist society, so we can reliably set the U.S. legal framework back 100 years? Uh...no, thanks.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:39 pm Replaced with another pick from the Federalist society, so we can reliably set the U.S. legal framework back 100 years? Uh...no, thanks.
We face that possibility if Trump gets elected again and I think the prospect of another appointment could bring a lot of people to the polls.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm
gilraen wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:39 pm Replaced with another pick from the Federalist society, so we can reliably set the U.S. legal framework back 100 years? Uh...no, thanks.
We face that possibility if Trump gets elected again and I think the prospect of another appointment could bring a lot of people to the polls.
How would her resigning change anything?

If she resigned today, McConnell would manage to replace her with another Kavanaugh/Alito clone, probably one in his 20s.

If she resigned a month before the election, McConnell would rush through a replacement before anyone voted.

If she resigned the day before the election, McConnell would rush through a replacement during the lame-duck session.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In conclusion, Mitch McConnell is a festering sack of whale shit.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whale shit can be used for fertilizer. McConnell isn't even that useful.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It's unclear how much of a difference replacing Ginsburg would have as a rallying point, as opposed to a million other things that Trump can get his base riled up about (such as large numbers of dark skinned people). It is clear what a difference replacing Ginsburg with a Trump nominee would make. It's not worth trading the latter for the former.

Basically we just have to white-knuckled pray that Ginsburg lasts until January 2021, while putting in place "Weekend at Bernie's" contingency plans in case she dies before then.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm Would it be better if she resigned and was replaced before the election so that couldn't be used a rallying point?
IMO, Not really. The SCOTUS appointments are one of the hardest blows (longest lasting, with potentially huge effect) dealt.
There is a degree of 'amputate the arm, to save the body' - but I feel we can save the arm. Having just the one, it's important to try and save it.

I would think both 'sides' could rally to that point.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 pm Whale shit can be used for fertilizer. McConnell isn't even that useful.
Something inappropriate about putting him to the test as fertilizer?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Unagi wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm Would it be better if she resigned and was replaced before the election so that couldn't be used a rallying point?
I would think both 'sides' could rally to that point.
Good point. Embarrassingly, I hadn't considered that and pretty much makes my question moot.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

hepcat wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:35 pm Whale shit can be used for fertilizer. McConnell isn't even that useful.
Plus ambergris.