Streaming Tax coming to a state near you.

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

UsulofDoom

Streaming Tax coming to a state near you.

Post by UsulofDoom »

The tax you to death state is coming up with a new tax revenue. In stead of just taxing your monthly or yearly fee as they all ready do for Netflix and Amazon Prime. They are going to keep track of your movie down load streams and tax each one. I really need to move out of this state.

In terms of revenue, the sales tax used to be the revenue workhorse, supporting most of our state’s budget. But today, the sales tax is not applied to the fastest growing sectors of our economy including the digital and service economy. If you go to a store to buy a DVD, you pay sales tax. But if you download that same DVD from a streaming service, you don’t. What sense does that make? There are many similar examples in our state’s current sales tax exemptions list and we need to streamline our system and ensure fundamental fairness. Next week, I plan to start a discussion with the legislature about how we can reform the sales tax without raising rates.
https://www.wtnh.com/news/politics/gove ... 1775360471
Half way down.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
GreenGoo

Re: Streaming Tax coming to a state near you.

Post by GreenGoo »

Um...when you buy a DVD you buy a DVD. When you watch tv, you've already paid the cable company for it. Ditto Netflix.

How are they going to determine how much tax is owed on a non-transactional download?
disarm

Post by disarm »

I'm a Connecticut resident, and while I hate the idea of taxing us even more than we already pay, I think there's a misunderstanding in this case. My impression from reading articles elsewhere is that they want to apply sales tax to downloadable/streamed movie purchases...purchase a movie to own from Amazon/Google/Vudu/etc, and you'll pay sales tax, just like when you buy a physical copy. No additional tax will be collected for watching a movie on a streaming service for which one already pays a fee.

That said, I still dislike the idea because it's just another way of collecting additional money while claiming not to raise existing (or create new) taxes. They're just "collecting what should already be owed" for a sale.

I'm more concerned with the potential for adding sales tax on groceries, or an additional state property tax on motor vehicles on top of what is already collected by the town in which you live...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Either this isn't the first one or it's something different.

Connecticut: YES
Sales or purchases of ‘digital downloads’ from the Internet are taxed at a reduced rate of 1%
Maybe it's an additional tax on the moving picture films, or "movies" as some call them?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

disarm wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:39 pm I'm a Connecticut resident, and while I hate the idea of taxing us even more than we already pay, I think there's a misunderstanding in this case. My impression from reading articles elsewhere is that they want to apply sales tax to downloadable/streamed movie purchases...purchase a movie to own from Amazon/Google/Vudu/etc, and you'll pay sales tax, just like when you buy a physical copy. No additional tax will be collected for watching a movie on a streaming service for which one already pays a fee.

That said, I still dislike the idea because it's just another way of collecting additional money while claiming not to raise existing (or create new) taxes. They're just "collecting what should already be owed" for a sale.

I'm more concerned with the potential for adding sales tax on groceries, or an additional state property tax on motor vehicles on top of what is already collected by the town in which you live...
Fair enough, but do people actually still do that? I mean, my wife does, but that's because she has no self control, willpower or ability to wait for it to be "free" as part of our cable company's regular offering. I've always felt like we were living in the late 1990's because of her constant use of "on demand" renting.

Is this still a thing in Connecticut?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I know one family that fairly regularly buys movies on Amazon streaming. I... I mean they... also already pay sales tax on those purchases.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:50 pm I know one family that fairly regularly buys movies on Amazon streaming. I... I mean they... also already pay sales tax on those purchases.
Presumably they pay sales taxes of the state they live in, which would be all this is, I think.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

GreenGoo wrote: Fair enough, but do people actually still do that? I mean, my wife does, but that's because she has no self control, willpower or ability to wait for it to be "free" as part of our cable company's regular offering. I've always felt like we were living in the late 1990's because of her constant use of "on demand" renting.

I must be misreading this. It seems to me like you are saying purchasing movies to own, or renting on demand, is a 1990s mentality... while waiting for them to show up for free through your CABLE COMPANY is the new hotness.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

msteelers wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:10 pm
GreenGoo wrote: Fair enough, but do people actually still do that? I mean, my wife does, but that's because she has no self control, willpower or ability to wait for it to be "free" as part of our cable company's regular offering. I've always felt like we were living in the late 1990's because of her constant use of "on demand" renting.

I must be misreading this. It seems to me like you are saying purchasing movies to own, or renting on demand, is a 1990s mentality... while waiting for them to show up for free through your CABLE COMPANY is the new hotness.
No, both of those are ancient technology of our forefathers. My point being that one is "free" while the other is not. So not only are we living in the way-back machine, we're doing it as expensively as possible. Because seeing a movie 12 months out of the theater NOW is worth paying extra rather than waiting a month and seeing it 13-14 months out of the theater.

edit: Realized there might be additional confusion. When I say "cable company" I don't mean wait for it to be cut up and spliced with a thousand advertisements on TBS, I mean "free" as in part of our movie network package which we already pay extra for. So we pay for a movie network package where they are playing movies 24hrs a day (and also on demand "free" as part of the package) but then my wife doesn't want to wait another month for the movie to show up there, so she just pays to rent it when it is immediately available, usually around the time the movie comes out on DVD.