The Inevitable 2020 Republican Primary Field

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

pr0ner

The Inevitable 2020 Republican Primary Field

Post by pr0ner »

Looks like there's gonna be a Republican primary challenge to Trump in 2020, so let's get the thread started.

First up, Bill Weld!

Hopefully someone like Kasich or Hogan will follow in the coming months.
Hodor.
LordMortis

Re: The Inevitable 2020 Republican Primary Field

Post by LordMortis »

The Irony is that anyone who would challenge the providence of the Kleptocratic Oligarch and posterchild for tyranny of the minority would labeled as a RINO.

The sad part is that with what the GOP has become I think they'd be right.
Last edited by LordMortis on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Any Republican attempting to challenge Trump is delusional. :wink:
two months
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Plus, Putin wouldn't allow it. :mrgreen:
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Trump's approval-stranglehold on the GOP is absolute. A Bill Weld or John Kasich throwing their hat in is simply placing a bet that Trump won't run in 2020.

Even so, it's a waste of time. If Trump simply declares victory and steps away (which he won't), the nominee will be Pence or else someone to his right. If Trump is impeached or forced to resign, the 2020 Blue Wave will make 2018 look like a ripple.

The GOP is Trump's party now. Let's hope it collapses with him.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

em2nought wrote:Any Republican attempting to challenge Trump is delusional.
FTFY
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If Weld can just be a thorn in Trump's side, it will be time well-spent. If he can peel away some Republicans who reluctantly tolerate Trump now, so much the better.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:19 pm If Weld can just be a thorn in Trump's side, it will be time well-spent. If he can peel away some Republicans who reluctantly tolerate Trump now, so much the better.
After two plus years of this and the decade before that ushered them in, will he be a thorn in Trump's side? We he peel away anyone hasn't already been peeled? If he can (which doubt) will the peeling be more influential than fanning the flames for those (claiming they are) not excited by Trump but voting for him anyway?

Who is left supporting Trump and McConnell with their vote trending to see who Trump would play out another four years that could be peeled away an internal opposition?

It seems to me you have shot (which would be Trump's strongest but most reasonable GOP critic, who is still in alignment with many of the tributesTrump's zealots demand) and that shot doesn't think it's worth the effort unless something changes.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/john-ka ... rnor-.html

https://www.cleveland.com/politics/2018 ... imary.html
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I guess the best that Trump can hope for now is for more candidates to join and spread out the votes against him.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:59 pm I guess the best that Trump can hope for now is for more candidates to join and spread out the votes against him.
Nah. He's got approvals above 80% among Republicans, and even some who disapprove of him will grit their teeth and go along. Weld/Kasich/etc simply do not appeal to Republicans now.

A short series of carefully stage-managed debates (hosted by Fox) might even give Trump an air of special legitimacy. "No U.S. president in 400 years has ever been more fair to his opponents!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I appreciate Weld running as a Republican rather than as a third party or independent candidate.

But yeah, neither he nor any other primary challenger is going anywhere unless Trump's support among the party collapses before the primaries.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

While I don't think Weld has a realistic shot, I do wonder how strong that 80% approval rating really is. How much of it is just "I truly support Trump and what he's doing" vs. "Well, he's (nominally) a Republican, and I approve of Republicans." If there's a lot of the latter (reformed NeverTrumpers?), I suspect that 80% approval rating is a bit soft. Probably not soft enough for him to have to worry about a primary, though.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I agree. There have been stories previously about how while most of his disapproval is strong disapproval (as opposed to partial disapproval), his approval tends to be split. I took a look at the most recent Yougov poll, and it shows 23% strong approval vs 19% somewhat approval (and 40% strong disapproval and 10% somewhat). If you look just at Republicans, it's 54% Strong approval, 36% somewhat approval.
dfs

Post by dfs »

Alefroth wrote:I guess the best that Trump can hope for now is for more candidates to join and spread out the votes against him.
I don't think there will be many anti-trump voters in the republican primaries.
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

dfs wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:31 am
Alefroth wrote:I guess the best that Trump can hope for now is for more candidates to join and spread out the votes against him.
I don't think there will be many anti-trump voters in the republican primaries.
Yeah I think anyone who was truly a 'nevertrumper' has already left the party. If you still claim to be a republican you're a trumpkin, which is nice. I like having my idiots and racists clearly labeled
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup