You got your immigration policy in my marriage equality!

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

You got your immigration policy in my marriage equality!

Post by Isgrimnur »

With a side of reproductive rights
Andrew and Elad Dvash-Banks have twin sons, born four minutes apart. The U.S. State Department has maintained that one is a U.S. citizen and one is not.

The same-sex couple has been fighting the U.S. government in federal court for citizenship rights for their young child. On Thursday, a judge ruled that the child, Ethan, is indeed a U.S. citizen because his parents were married at the time of his birth, and therefore the State Department misapplied the law.
The U.S. government had maintained that U.S. citizenship could only be passed along to a child that the U.S. citizen had a biological relationship with.

Andrew is a U.S. citizen, and Elad is Israeli. The two met in Israel, fell in love, and got married in Canada. There, they had children through a surrogate. Each father's genetic material had fertilized one egg from a donor. Ethan shared genetic material with Elad, and Aiden with Andrew.
John F. Walter, the federal judge in California, has now ruled that the Immigration and Nationality Act, the law that determines whether a person is a U.S. citizen by birth, makes Ethan a citizen from birth. He said that the parents were married at the time of his birth, and the law "does not require a person born during their parents' marriage to demonstrate a biological relationship with both of their married parents."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Re: You got your immigration policy in my marriage equality!

Post by Unagi »

Each father's genetic material had fertilized one egg from a donor.
Not sure why I hadn't ever realized they could do that.
I mean, when couples have twins or triplets using in vitro fertilization, I always just thought that was through accidental/incidental 'over' fertilization of one egg.
This implies they can pick 2 sperm sources and force those 2 into the egg. (or that they did this enough time and tossed all the viable fertilizations that showed only 1 dad?)
:think:
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm not sure what you are saying.

My understanding is that they usually implant more than one fertilized egg during in vitro because the is no guarantee an individual egg will take. So the twins, etc. Are a result of that.

In this case, i assume they took an egg fertilized by Dad A and one fertilized by Dad B and implanted both and got twins.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. I get that about IVF , but was willing to admit I didn’t know there were perhaps identical that came from it too.

However, I swear that read like it was just one egg they both fertilized.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

(And I did blow past that whole Many fertilized eggs in my post , I realize)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If one of the kids parents were both not citizens, (2 eggs)I wasn’t seeing how this was all that controversial. So I guess I assume some funky indentical twin mishap and the father seemed to be one for one, one for the other.

Obviously. That’s kinda absurd.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

If they are identical twins, it is usually one egg somehow split into two. That means both have the same father.

If they are twins from two separate eggs from IVF, they are not identical twins.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur presents:

You Make The Call

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

It's obviously fraternal twins from 2 eggs, but this wording sucked: Each father's genetic material had fertilized one egg , which sounded like they were saying something kinda amazing, but alas , they were not.