Right-Wing Terrorism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Right-Wing Terrorism

Post by Holman »

I don't believe we have a dedicated thread, but we need one.

To start: POTUS (in response to New Zealand) believes it's not really a problem:

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Re: Right-Wing Terrorism

Post by Skinypupy »

Illegal immigrant kills a person: Irrefutable evidence that ALL immigrants are criminals and murderers, and justification for spending billions on methods to keep them out of the country.

White Supremacist kills 50 people: Merely a disturbed individual, nothing to worry about, not a problem that needs to be addressed in any way.

:evil:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

False flag! Fake news!

I'm sure there are bad people on both sides.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Holman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm I don't believe we have a dedicated thread, but we need one.

To start: POTUS (in response to New Zealand) believes it's not really a problem:

First, HuffPost micro quotes Trump to make him look bad by only including the first thing he says, “it’s a small group of people." Second, shocking no one, someone on OO takes this partial quote and puts an added spin on his words by implying he said "it's not really a problem". Watching the video he says “it’s a small group of people that have a very very serious problem." And calls it a horrible and disgraceful act. But please, carry on with yet another OO hates Trump thread.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Please don't generalize 3 people as the entire forum, particularly when the 2nd and 3rd are commenting based on the information provided in the original post.

If you want to correct any misconceptions feel free, but you don't need to take a dump on the forum to do it.

For the record, I don't find your elaboration on what he said vindicating at all, so...shrug?

kthx.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

All he has to do is blow the dog whistle. He knows cunts like Limbaugh will strike up the tune.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

He had a statesman/leader opportunity to show some heartfelt outrage and he let it pass. Soon after mumbling some obligatory words, he threw himself into a tweetstorm about Mueller and Hillary. But yeah, at least he said his obligatory words.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Moliere wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:23 am First, HuffPost micro quotes Trump to make him look bad by only including the first thing he says, “it’s a small group of people." Second, shocking no one, someone on OO takes this partial quote and puts an added spin on his words by implying he said "it's not really a problem". Watching the video he says “it’s a small group of people that have a very very serious problem." And calls it a horrible and disgraceful act. But please, carry on with yet another OO hates Trump thread.
In the U.S., 70% of political killings in the past decade (at least) have been carried out by right-wing extremists rather than any other category. White supremacist hate groups are on the rise everywhere.

Minimizing the existence of this problem is just a few steps short of the near-endorsements of it that we're getting from the more daring edge of the American Right.

But please, carry on with letting Trump get away with ignoring the rise of this kind of extremism because it makes up part of his base of support.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Right wing extremist terrorism.

Yes it's a problem and yes, many right wing leaders/personalities are encouraging it actively through incitement and "I'm not saying, I'm just saying..."
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chelsea Clinton is to blame! /snaps fingers
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Moliere wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:23 am
Holman wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm I don't believe we have a dedicated thread, but we need one.

First, HuffPost micro quotes Trump to make him look bad by only including the first thing he says, “it’s a small group of people." Second, shocking no one, someone on OO takes this partial quote and puts an added spin on his words by implying he said "it's not really a problem". Watching the video he says “it’s a small group of people that have a very very serious problem." And calls it a horrible and disgraceful act. But please, carry on with yet another OO hates Trump thread.
You’re right, he didn’t use the exact words of “it’s not a problem”. He doesn’t really have to at this point, as his actions speak just as loud.

Immigrant crime: BUILD THE WALL
White supremecist crime: Thoughts and prayers, “fine people on both sides”, shrug

But sure, let’s all go ahead and pretend that one is just as important as the other to this administration.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Moliere wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 am

Context? What incendiary words did she put out there?
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:09 pm
Moliere wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:06 am

Context? What incendiary words did she put out there?
She criticized Ilhan Omar for using anti-Semitic tropes in her complaints about the Israel lobby.

Clinton actually did this pretty mildly, if I recall.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

GreenGoo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 am Please don't generalize 3 people as the entire forum, particularly when the 2nd and 3rd are commenting based on the information provided in the original post.

If you want to correct any misconceptions feel free, but you don't need to take a dump on the forum to do it.

For the record, I don't find your elaboration on what he said vindicating at all, so...shrug?

kthx.
I agree, what would there be left for me to do around here. :wink:

While we're labeling this nut lets not leave off the self admitted labels of "green", "anti-capitalist", and "marxist".

https://medium.com/the-radical-center/t ... 13fe610b2f
Last edited by em2nought on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop funding for NPR
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Moliere wrote:But please, carry on with yet another OO hates Trump thread.
Actually, it's not just OO - a majority of the country hate him too. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You’re crazy! Trump’s approval rating is 135 percent according to the latest polls!
He won. Period.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Ugh. He is a completely miserable pile of human garbage. To the extent that “OO hates him”, *we should*. He’s a miserable pile of human garbage.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

But he tells it like it is [in Bullshit Land] and drains the swap [so he can fill it with his own swampwater friends and family]. Straight shooter.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Actually, it's not just OO - a majority of the country world hates him too. :D
FTFY
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm
While we're labeling this nut lets not leave off the self admitted labels of "green", "anti-capitalist", and "marxist".

I know you desperately want to link this shooter to the liberals, but you're pulling a half Trump and only giving us half the story...as well as throwing in something that doesn't even connect liberals to the guy. He calls himself a supporter of what he calls green NATIONALISM. That's not what you want it to be. As for anti-capitalist and marxist, the woman you folks fear most who's initials are AO-C has never called herself either. To be honest, the shooter still has far more in common with the far right in our country than he does the left. In the shooter's manifesto, he expresses open admiration for figures on the right, including Trump himself and Candace Owens of right wing campus group Turning Point.
He won. Period.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:05 am
em2nought wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

I know you desperately want to link this shooter to the liberals, but you're pulling a half Trump and only giving us half the story...as well as throwing in something that doesn't even connect liberals to the guy. He calls himself a supporter of what he calls green NATIONALISM. That's not what you want it to be. As for anti-capitalist and marxist, the woman you folks fear most who's initials are AO-C has never called herself either. To be honest, the shooter still has far more in common with the far right in our country than he does the left.
The guy's manifesto was a total troll job and he's having a giant laugh as everyone tries to discern motive from it, poring over every word. He's just another murdering piece of trash.

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Total troll job? Not your intention, I'm sure, but to me that seems to say he just wanted to stir up trouble. I think that trivializes his acts.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Apparently he/they have been active on the chans and white supremacy sites and the dregs of Reddit for some time, so it's not surprising that the manifesto reflects that kind of writing style. The killer was identified as a "shitposter" almost from the beginning.

Nevertheless, all the shit shitposted runs one way, and that was towards the mass-murder of Muslims in the name of White Supremacy. There's no mystery here.

Of course that doesn't stop Kellyanne Conway from urging everyone to read the manifesto (WTF?!) because she thinks the shitposting style will somehow distance Trump's rhetoric from it.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

hepcat wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:40 am Total troll job? Not your intention, I'm sure, but to me that seems to say he just wanted to stir up trouble. I think that trivializes his acts.
At one point, he blamed Fortnite for making him a killer who wanted to floss over corpses. It's a total troll. Yes, he came from a place of white supremacy and incel supremacy and that shouldn't be ignored but trying to read anything into the prepared "manifesto" is a waste of time. In fact, it's worse. It's doing exactly he wants us to do.

He's a mass murderer. Nothing can trivialize that. He doesn't need a well-thought-out political manifesto for his actions to have horrific effects.

Hopefully after he's broken in custody we'll get a clearer picture. For now, his screed is bullshit.

MYT
Enough

Post by Enough »

It's kind of fascinating that in a thread about right-wing terror that folks automatically assume it's just about dumping on Trump.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The killer actually brought him into it, to be fair. Hence the immediacy of the connection. However, it's only natural to view any such incident with an eye towards Trump given his rhetoric. He regularly refers to immigrants trying to come into our country from the south as an "invasion", drives the fear of illegal immigrants with sensationalist stories that are oftentimes easily proven to be lies, and attempted to place entry bans on Muslims (even if he attempted to state it was by country, not religion, his campaign speeches clearly said he intended to ban all Muslims from entering the country).

So I don't find it fascinating as much as I find it inevitable and, to be honest, logical.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If Trump was a "typical Republican President" then I'd probably still be sitting here defending him, I'd probably still be a registered Republican, I'd think the libs were a bunch of tree-hugging commies, etc.

However, the modern Republican party IS NOT NORMAL. Their actions are directly why I changed party affiliation and disassociated myself with their policies. There is a tendency to view Trump-bashing through the prism of "typical left-wing criticism" but this is not partisan politics as usual.

It's incredible to me how insidiously the GOP has lulled decent conservative folks into upholding beliefs that should be completely contrary to their character and morals. The conservatism I grew up with was about self-sufficiency and hard work to get to the top. Not cheating and changing the rules on the fly. It was about strong foreign policy and standing up to enemies that opposed freedom, not embracing them and marching in lockstep with dictators and tyrants. The church I grew up in was about love thy neighbor, not wall them off and accuse them of being rapists. It was about acceptance and tolerance for those who were different, not casting stones.

If you think Trump's brand of conservatism, or the modern GOP's brand of conservatism, is the same thing you grew up with, you couldn't be more wrong. It's corrupt, it's amoral, it's astonishing to me that so many people fell for the switcheroo and are still doing so. Stop looking at the goddamn letter beside the name and THINK. Think about whether Trump's lying, cheating, and narcissism are character traits you aspire to and want your children to aspire to. Think about whether election fraud and gerrymandering, proclaiming fake national emergencies, and installing sexual assaulters on the Supreme Court are things you respect. Stop deflecting every criticism as some kind of "liberal conspiracy" and think about what actually makes sense.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

All true but thinking is hard and that letter next to the name is an easy short hand for which players are on your team. The parties count on that and we haven't proven it wrong.

MYT
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:21 pm ...If you think Trump's brand of conservatism, or the modern GOP's brand of conservatism, is the same thing you grew up with, you couldn't be more wrong. It's corrupt, it's amoral, it's astonishing to me that so many people fell for the switcheroo and are still doing so. Stop looking at the goddamn letter beside the name and THINK. Think about whether Trump's lying, cheating, and narcissism are character traits you aspire to and want your children to aspire to. Think about whether election fraud and gerrymandering, proclaiming fake national emergencies, and installing sexual assaulters on the Supreme Court are things you respect. Stop deflecting every criticism as some kind of "liberal conspiracy" and think about what actually makes sense.
I think the biggest problem in getting long-time conservatives to "wake up and smell the coffee" is the pervasive Right-Wing propaganda they are exposed to on a daily basis, first with talk radio in the early 90's, then through the creation of Fox News, and finally the rise of Fake News on the Internet (especially Facebook and Twitter). The nature of this propaganda is not really to build support for Right Wing policies, but is more concerned with creating hatred towards Democrats and Liberals. By making the Left seem so extreme and dangerous, they have made disgruntled conservatives feel that they have nowhere to go. I've known many Republicans who have left the party over the last 20 years thanks to the policies of Bush and Trump, but all of them still consistently vote for the GOP as they feel that the Democrats are even worse.

To make things worse, the Right Wing extremism that has been growing in this country for decades seems to be feeding into a new Left Wing extremism that simply confirms a lot of the anti-Left propaganda that Republicans have been hearing for years.

In the past when Americans were passionately divided, for example during the runup to the Civil War, or during the Civil RIghts and Anti-War protests of the 1960's, things were eventually settled and the divisiveness eventually subsided to a large degree (The Slavery issue was decided by the Civil War, Blacks gained the right to vote, the Vietnam war and the draft ended, etc.) but currently its hard to imagine anything short of an invasion by aliens from Outer Space bringing the country back together.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apollo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm

In the past when Americans were passionately divided, for example during the runup to the Civil War, or during the Civil RIghts and Anti-War protests of the 1960's, things were eventually settled and the divisiveness eventually subsided to a large degree (The Slavery issue was decided by the Civil War, Blacks gained the right to vote, the Vietnam war and the draft ended, etc.) but currently its hard to imagine anything short of an invasion by aliens from Outer Space bringing the country back together.
There will be a single issue that will be the hill everyone will choose to die on. It's looking like maybe 2A or immigration but what it is isn't as important as the fact that it will be the single dividing line that will lead to some kind of tipping point. Be that in the voting booth, on Capitol Hill, in the streets, or somewhere else remains to be seen.

MYT
Holman

Post by Holman »

Apollo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:06 pm In the past when Americans were passionately divided, for example during the runup to the Civil War, or during the Civil RIghts and Anti-War protests of the 1960's, things were eventually settled and the divisiveness eventually subsided to a large degree (The Slavery issue was decided by the Civil War, Blacks gained the right to vote, the Vietnam war and the draft ended, etc.) but currently its hard to imagine anything short of an invasion by aliens from Outer Space bringing the country back together.
This (divisions being settled) is where I'd disagree.

The modern GOP was born in the Southern Strategy, which was the GOP's opportunistic grab for southern voters alienated by the Dem's embrace of the Civil Rights movement. Almost everything about the Republican Party since the mid/late-60s has followed from reaction to Civil Rights.

The Culture War of the 80s (vs Feminism) and into the 90s (vs homosexuals) follows directly from this. Even conservative resistance to accepting climate change is largely a reaction against the Hippies and their Enviromentalism. For decades, the GOP message has been directed entirely at reactionary white people fearful of having to share rights with people unlike them.

Trump is the apotheosis of this, not some outsider takeover. That's why it was so easy for him.

Post by Default »

"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Holman

Post by Holman »

Interesting thread and linked article on the extreme Right's fantasy of a bloody new Civil War.

From a conservative author.

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Don't forget Steve King's recently deleted social media posting about a Red vs Blue civil war, too.
Hodor.

Post by Default »

Why would left wing rage mobs flood the countryside attacking the yokels, when we can just ignore them?
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:58 pm Don't forget Steve King's recently deleted social media posting about a Red vs Blue civil war, too.
Germany seem to have learned their lessons after two WW losses maybe the south will require the same treatment, who knows.

This is so stupid, the division isn't just in the US it's happening in Canada too, to a lesser degree of course but I'm afraid of what's to come in the next 10-15 years.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.