The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Holman »

Zaxxon wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:00 pm
Drazzil wrote:I hope if Trump goes he takes Pence with him.
President Pelosi would be... A change.
Even if it were somehow possible that revelations could bring down Trump and Pence together, the senate would stagger things so that President Pence could appoint his new VP before he faced his charges.

"Speaker of the House becomes president" is really only a scenario for when the POTUS and VP die together in a catastrophe*.

*(Or in the act of a just and loving God, as the case here would be)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:38 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am When a useful idiot stops being useful, he's just another idiot.
Or, in this case, he's just another massive honkingey liability.
Fixed.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:58 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:33 am
Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 am Trump's not going to be thrown out of office. He has too much support.
Jeff Flake said that at least 35 GOP senators would vote to convict, if they had a secret ballot. Trump is widely hated and keeps his support through fear and intimidation. If the dam cracks, that sucker gonna burst in a hurry.

I'm not under any illusion that it's likely, but I'm not going with "impossible" either. If Moscow Mitch and his minions believe that Trump will lose the presidency and take their Senate majority with him, he could be gone by the end of this year. When a useful idiot stops being useful, he's just another idiot.
You know they’re already thinking out whether Pence 2020 looks better than Trump 2020.

The dynamics here are pretty dicey. If the party tilts towards Pence, they have every reason to move fast and get it over with, especially since a “small impeachment” (focused on just Ukraine) looks like it will limit the scope of investigation of... other things. I won’t be surprised if Mitch offers Nancy that deal.

Meanwhile, of course, a Trump who sees the writing on the wall (and then has Stephen Miller read it to him) will lash out in every direction, especially at treasonous allies he probably already hates.
Magical thinking.

There is exactly zero chance the GOP jumps ship from Trump to Pence. Zero.

Look, I’d love to be wrong here and see that dam actually burst, but it’s not going to happen. And Trump is not going to be removed. Any talk otherwise is delusional.

Trump’s base is rock solid, and the country is not ready to see a presidential election erased by Congress.

Just anecdotal, but I flew back from DC yesterday after spending the week there. This was my third trip out there over the last couple months. Every time I’ve been there, it’s struck me just how many MAGA hats I see. And not on DC folks. On all the bus loads of tourists and students visiting. They are everywhere.

We need to vote Trump out of office.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kurth wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm Just anecdotal, but I flew back from DC yesterday after spending the week there. This was my third trip out there over the last couple months. Every time I’ve been there, it’s struck me just how many MAGA hats I see. And not on DC folks. On all the bus loads of tourists and students visiting. They are everywhere.
Awesome! :clap:
Stop funding for NPR
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LOL, Trump's now tweeting both a) that he can't be impeached because he's done SO MUCH for the country, and b) lies drug up by The Federalist.
Hodor.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Even if it were somehow possible that revelations could bring down Trump and Pence together, the senate would stagger things so that President Pence could appoint his new VP before he faced his charges.

"Speaker of the House becomes president" is really only a scenario for when the POTUS and VP die together in a catastrophe*.

Would Pence be allowed to pick a VP if he were under the shadow of impeachment? Wouldn't any VP need to be confirmed? So, drag the nom fight out till Pence leaves office?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Drazzil wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:27 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Would Pence be allowed to pick a VP if he were under the shadow of impeachment? Wouldn't any VP need to be confirmed? So, drag the nom fight out till Pence leaves office?
If Trump were removed, then Pence would nominate a VP who'd have to be accepted by a majority of the House *and* Senate.
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

Kurth wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm Trump’s base is rock solid, and the country is not ready to see a presidential election erased by Congress.

Just anecdotal, but I flew back from DC yesterday after spending the week there. This was my third trip out there over the last couple months. Every time I’ve been there, it’s struck me just how many MAGA hats I see. And not on DC folks. On all the bus loads of tourists and students visiting. They are everywhere.

I don't disagree that we need to vote Trump out. It's going to come to that if the country wants a change.

What drives me a little crazy about what you wrote is that the country isn't ready to see a presidential election erased by Congress. If President Trump is impeached, and removed by the Senate (which would need to include a decent number of Republicans voting to convict), it's because he's committed crimes and/or gone against his oath of office. If the country can't view that separately from overturning an election, we're in definite trouble.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It's premature to make any guesses on how all this plays out, as we don't have all the information. Two weeks ago the chance of impeachment inquiries in general were borderline nil. And now we're right in the middle of it. This is totally uncharted territory, and nothing would surprise me at this point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Whats ridiculous is the same people that will be voting on his crimes have also most likely committed crimes as it IS DC after all. Power and money is the order of the day / life there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:48 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm Just anecdotal, but I flew back from DC yesterday after spending the week there. This was my third trip out there over the last couple months. Every time I’ve been there, it’s struck me just how many MAGA hats I see. And not on DC folks. On all the bus loads of tourists and students visiting. They are everywhere.
Awesome! :clap:
Scary, really. That many idiots running around unsupervised?
He won. Period.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Our President, so desperate to retweet people slamming Fox News's Ed Henry for some of his questions about the Ukraine call this morning, retweeted this:

Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

And here is POTUS, accusing Adam Schiff of treason, and threatening not only the whistleblower, but whomever in the White House gave him the information.

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

'Largely.'
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

At least Trump posts all his lies and stupid thoughts for the world to see and record.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Not only that but they probably can be added to his eventual articles of impeachment.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

In a week, 25% of Republicans now believe an impeachment inquiry is appropriate, that is double what it was before this thing broke. A steady parade of witnesses is only going to grow that number.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:35 pm Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?
I've thought of that exact line several times during this presidency :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Dogstar wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:49 pm
Kurth wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:14 pm Trump’s base is rock solid, and the country is not ready to see a presidential election erased by Congress.

I don't disagree that we need to vote Trump out. It's going to come to that if the country wants a change.

What drives me a little crazy about what you wrote is that the country isn't ready to see a presidential election erased by Congress. If President Trump is impeached, and removed by the Senate (which would need to include a decent number of Republicans voting to convict), it's because he's committed crimes and/or gone against his oath of office. If the country can't view that separately from overturning an election, we're in definite trouble.
It'd be Russia's crowning glory to watch the US rip itself apart like the SU. On one hand, I'd hate to see it happen, on the other hand, the US'd be better off without em.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Anyone still think that Trump wanted impeachment?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:41 pm Anyone still think that Trump wanted impeachment?

Just FYI, regarding the (unsurprising and gross) source of Trump’s quote.

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

*coughs*
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<hands Drazzil a cough drop>
He won. Period.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

He's on yet another unhinged Twitter tirade this morning, howling that anyone and everyone who has ever said a bad thing about him be arrested and or executed. Totally stable genius.

This made me LOL, from the responses on one of his spittle-flecked rants.

(also, check the hastag #civilwarsignup for some comedy gold)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Amazing that he's promoting yet another already debunked conspiracy theory.
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ha!
Hodor.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Wut?

Hodor.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Whenever trump calls someone "highly respected," you know they're a laughingstock.

Jim McLaughlin is typically called the worst pollster in the GOP. When he was Eric Cantor's internal polling guy, his final numbers mis-predicted the race by 46 points.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

And if you round up after rounding to the nearest half, that's a 100% approval rating!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:26 am He's on yet another unhinged Twitter tirade this morning, howling that anyone and everyone who has ever said a bad thing about him be arrested and or executed.
It sounds like an attempt to intimidate the witness, Your Honor.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm completely enjoying the Trump meltdown. Pelosi sure knows how to play him like a fiddle.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This would be a great time for journalists to start hammering him and Mitch for not allowing the gun background check legislation the House passed be heard in the Senate. Mitch continues to punt to Trump and to force Trump ("I'll follow the President's lead on this...") to talk about anything other than being impeached right now only helps to keep the pressure on.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got this funny little wish in the back of my mind. Sort of an ideal outcome.

That little dream is that people keep taunting him, and he keeps mouthing off on Twitter, and in the end, something he says on Twitter is submitted as evidence and sinks him.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He's written numerous things on twitter that would have sunk a normal politician. But Trumpies and the GOP in general sold their souls the moment they backed him. He could eat a puppy on live TV and it wouldn't make them blink at this point. Fox news opinion shills would just ask if he used any salt, because that would be bad for his health.
He won. Period.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Hey at least he hasn't worn a tan suite. Now that would be truly scandalous and unpresidential!
FTE
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 pm He writes numerous things daily on twitter that would have sunk a normal politician.
FTFY.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's Mitch McConnell on CNBC saying that if the House passes articles of impeachment, "under the Senate rules we're required to take it up ... I would have no choice but to take it up. How long we're on it is a whole different matter."