The Trump Impeachment Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

malchior

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by malchior »

FWIW there is noise that some Conservative outlet has published the whistle blower's name. Haven't seen anything personally but something is out there. Who knows how accurate it is. If you dig into Conservative twitter -- and I strongly don't recommend it -- it is obsessed with the whistleblower's identity and how they are supposedly biased. *OBSESSED* isn't enough emphasis.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Never mind that it makes no sense that multiple people from disparate positions in government would independently lie under oath to Congress because they didn't agree with the President's politics. It just goes to show the paranoia-induced psycho-world these people live in.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 am FWIW there is noise that some Conservative outlet has published the whistle blower's name. Haven't seen anything personally but something is out there. Who knows how accurate it is. If you dig into Conservative twitter -- and I strongly don't recommend it -- it is obsessed with the whistleblower's identity and how they are supposedly biased. *OBSESSED* isn't enough emphasis.
So frustrating to have to deal with people that are so stupid. The identity of the whistle blower just doesn't matter. Not one bit. That person could be as biased as they come, and it still wouldn't matter. The whistle blower could be Hilary Fucking Clinton and it wouldn't matter.

These people really do live in an alternate reality.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

The whistle-blower is now irrelevant.

Sondland just confirmed the quid pro quo.

A critical witness in the impeachment inquiry offered Congress substantial new testimony this week, revealing that he told a top Ukrainian official that the country likely would not receive American military aid unless it publicly committed to investigations President Trump wanted.

The disclosure from Gordon D. Sondland, the United States ambassador to the European Union, in four new pages of sworn testimony released on Tuesday, confirmed his involvement in essentially laying out a quid pro quo to Ukraine that he had previously not acknowledged.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

NY Times wrote:In his updated testimony, Mr. Sondland recounted how he had discussed the linkage with Andriy Yermak, a top adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, on the sidelines of a Sept. 1 meeting between Vice President Mike Pence and Mr. Zelensky in Warsaw. Mr. Zelensky had discussed the suspension of aid with Mr. Pence, Mr. Sondland said.
I am curious if Pence was in on this fucked up drug deal too but not enough to see the focus taken off of Trump.

The important thing to watch for now is the GOP pivoting to how this wasn't impeachable conduct. I know some have been testing it but let's see how fast it takes everyone to move the goal posts again. I predict later today.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Now they’re going to claim Sondland wasn’t acting on Trump’s orders.

Work for Trump and you’re disposable.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

To be fair, I think we are all disposable in Trump's eyes.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:56 pm Now they’re going to claim Sondland wasn’t acting on Trump’s orders.

Work for Trump and you’re disposable.
That is plausible and Sondland did dirty himself up by trying to lie to Congress. Trump will say he is obviously a liar. Sondland's implausibly stupid assertion in this revised testimony is ridiculous. He is saying that he reviewed other testimony after the fact. Then that jogged his memory and he recalled that he delivered a message to an aide to Zelensky about military aid. 2 months ago. Also he claims he simply forgot that Trump told him to deliver the 'no quid pro quo' line to Taylor.

This is a big part of why Trump got caught red-handed. He has surrounded himself with 2-bit chumps whose story telling amounts to the dog ate my homework. That Sondland even testified makes no sense considering the other people stonewalling. This has got to be one of the stupidest scandals in American history yet the Republicans are going to protect this guy?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zarathud wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:56 pm Now they’re going to claim Sondland wasn’t acting on Trump’s orders.
Bingo.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pmThis has got to be one of the stupidest scandals in American history yet the Republicans are going to protect this guy?
They're collectively in too deep at this point - which I'm fine with. Let them all hang together. Rand Paul is demanding the media release the whisteblower's name. Really Rand, that's your position with all this?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:18 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:13 pmThis has got to be one of the stupidest scandals in American history yet the Republicans are going to protect this guy?
They're collectively in too deep at this point - which I'm fine with. Let them all hang together. Rand Paul is demanding the media release the whisteblower's name. Really Rand, that's your position with all this?
"...Government, doxx this whistleblower!" said the libertarian.

Which is all the more absurd now that Sondland is on record as confirming the quid pro quo.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There still is an important 'snitches get stitches' element to all this that appeals to these thugs. They need to make it unthinkable to not be 'loyal'. This is entirely on brand for the current GOPs need to tear down 'rule of law' to preserve their 'right' to power.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Haha Trump is going to die in prison. Oh wait - I mean elected to a 2nd term and end our Democracy.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rand "I have a face that demands a punch" Paul is claiming he knows the whistleblower's name and that he worked for Joe Biden.
"The whistleblower needs to come before Congress as a material witness because he worked for Joe Biden at the same time Hunter Biden was getting money from corrupt oligarchs," Paul said
Where's my hero?

There you are. Put on your "justice gloves". Your country needs you to take out the trash again.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm "...Government, doxx this whistleblower!" said the libertarian.
He proves time and again what a piece o... hypocrite he really is. Makes me more and more ashamed to have had the libertarian leanings I've had for most of my life. Not so much for what I believe or believed but for who I allowed to be my voice (I was a supporter of his dad for much of 80s and in to the early 90s)
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm Haha Trump is going to die in prison. Oh wait - I mean elected to a 2nd term and end our Democracy.
Barring a jail sentence, he is definitely winning a second term.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:03 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm Haha Trump is going to die in prison. Oh wait - I mean elected to a 2nd term and end our Democracy.
Barring a jail sentence, he is definitely winning a second term.
Particularly in light of:

62% of Trump supporters say they can think of **nothing** he could do to lose their support.
Not only was Hillary right, but she might have actually undersold the idea of deplorables.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:07 pm Particularly in light of:

62% of Trump supporters say they can think of **nothing** he could do to lose their support.
Not only was Hillary right, but she might have actually undersold the idea of deplorables.
What's worse, is that is only those who are being honest with themselves. There is probably an even higher percentage of those who wouldn't even privately put that on paper or admit to themselves the truth in that statement but pragmatically will behave that way. I need look no further than the brick wall against discourse of some family to know this demographic exist.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quality

In other pile of shits talking and walking news - it looks like McConnell is laying the ground for an abbreviated impeachment trial. Big shock.

McConnell says the Senate would acquit if impeachment trial held today.
Last edited by malchior on Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My bet is that Giuliani is gonna take the fall on all of this. There are no friends in Trump's world. Just ablative armor.
He won. Period.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:22 pm My bet is that Giuliani is gonna take the fall on all of this. There are no friends in Trump's world. Just ablative armor.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ivanka is down near the crotch, I believe.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:20 pm Quality

In other pile of shits talking and walking news - it looks like McConnell is laying the ground for an abbreviated impeachment trial. Big shock.

And McConnell is the senate

Enlarge Image
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:24 pm
hepcat wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:22 pm My bet is that Giuliani is gonna take the fall on all of this. There are no friends in Trump's world. Just ablative armor.
That's a good analogy. It also illustrates why everyone around him is always trying to get their head up his ass.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:20 pm In other pile of shits talking and walking news - it looks like McConnell is laying the ground for an abbreviated impeachment trial. Big shock.
I'm still not sure how he can really do this.

A trial in the senate would be overseen by John Roberts, not Moscow Mitch. Even though Roberts is a conservative, he hasn't shown signs of being in the tank for Trump. He also knows this will be the chief moment for which he'll be remembered in history.
stessier

Post by stessier »

That article really doesn't say much. Certainly nothing new. He just said he thinks the rules should be laid it to make it a speedy process. I'm sure that's been said every time.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

McConnell will be setting the rules and procedures. Roberts would be abiding by them. How that turns out is any guess but McConnell isn't afraid to piss on the intent of norms and stick to the bare letter of the Constitution. I'm not going to be shocked by any shenanigans - the GOP is committed to the end of 'rule of law' unless the law is made by them naturally.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 pm

That article really doesn't say much. Certainly nothing new. He just said he thinks the rules should be laid it to make it a speedy process. I'm sure that's been said every time.
Thankfully there's already ample evidence to kick the bum out on day one of the Senate trial, so no worries there!

/s
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:26 pm

As far as I know he hasn't indicated that it would be a clear waste of time and wonder out loud how much time it should be. Also, there is the not too subtle dig at the upcoming election which was his excuse for not sitting Garland. He is floating a balloon to gauge reaction to an abbreviated, cut down trial. The 'news' here is that now that it is coming into focus he is expanding on what he has said in the past. That mostly consisted of his confirmation that they'd have to take it up; not much about how it'd go.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every day that passes where some high-ranking (D) official isn't holding a short press conference to remind people what a colossal PoS Mitch McConnell is, is a wasted day IMHO.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, can someone from the media please - please go and interview Rand Paul's neighbor. There's no law stopping him from talking about why he broke six of Rand Paul's ribs. I really want to learn about the process - how a man comes to tackle a sitting Senator and hammer at him with fists.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 pm I really want to learn about the process - how a man comes to tackle a sitting Senator and hammer at him with fists.
Is it such a mystery? I see it every time I close my eyes.
Isgrimnur

The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Also, can someone from the media please - please go and interview Rand Paul's neighbor. There's no law stopping him from talking about why he broke six of Rand Paul's ribs. I really want to learn about the process - how a man comes to tackle a sitting Senator and hammer at him with fists.
WaPo
The 60-year-old tackled the second-term senator because Paul was stacking brush near his yard, according to court documents — a violent finale to a long-standing dispute over lawn care. He admitted to the attack and told authorities at the time he’d “had enough.”
A mutual friend said the two men, both of whom are doctors, had argued over lawn care in the past and had not spoken in years.
Boucher said the incident wasn’t the first time Paul had left debris near their property line and that on the day prior to the attack, Boucher had set fire to a brush pile with gasoline, causing an explosion that burned his face, neck and arms.

He was in “severe pain” from the burns during the next day’s assault, which Boucher called “two minutes of my life I wish I could take back."
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh, I guess I missed that story back in January. Still, given Rand Paul's most recent escapades perhaps it would be worth re-visiting. Let's follow up with the neighbor and see how he's doing.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:52 am Huh, I guess I missed that story back in January. Still, given Rand Paul's most recent escapades perhaps it would be worth re-visiting. Let's follow up with the neighbor and see how he's doing.
You should probably stay off of his lawn.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Seems that Donny "LOVE ME DADDY, IT'S ALL I WANT!" Trump Jr. has leaked the alleged whistleblower's name on twitter.

That entire inbred family of trash would be nowhere if it weren't for twitter, I've come to believe.
He won. Period.
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Would an abbreviated trial really be a bad thing? After all, we know:

1. There's no chance in hell Trump will be convicted by the Senate
2. Having gone through the impeachment process, Pelosi will be able to say to the pro-impeachment crowd, "OK, we tried".
3. After all the shouting dies down, it will be clear to history that the Democrats did their best to stop Trump.
4. The Democrats can stop annoying moderates and independents who were against impeachment nearly a year before the next election, where the Democrats will at least have a shot at removing Trump from office.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:

CNN
Sen. Lindsey Graham criticized the House Democrats' impeachment inquiry on Wednesday while also issuing a rebuke, and potentially a new talking point, that the Trump administration was too inept to carry out a quid pro quo in regard to Ukraine foreign policy.

"What I can tell you about the Trump policy toward Ukraine: It was incoherent, it depends on who you talk to, they seem to be incapable of forming a quid pro quo," the South Carolina Republican said outside the Senate Judiciary Committee. "So no, I find the whole process to be a sham and I'm not going to legitimize it."
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Isgrimnur wrote:Image

CNN
Sen. Lindsey Graham criticized the House Democrats' impeachment inquiry on Wednesday while also issuing a rebuke, and potentially a new talking point, that the Trump administration was too inept to carry out a quid pro quo in regard to Ukraine foreign policy.

"What I can tell you about the Trump policy toward Ukraine: It was incoherent, it depends on who you talk to, they seem to be incapable of forming a quid pro quo," the South Carolina Republican said outside the Senate Judiciary Committee. "So no, I find the whole process to be a sham and I'm not going to legitimize it."
Lindsey, you bootlicker. The jails are full of incompetent, guilty criminals.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?