Blackhawk

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Blackhawk »

No, no. Line three is two lines:

I want nothing
I want nothing
I want no
Quid pro quo

I'm sure Randy Rainbow is already on top of this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Enough

Post by Enough »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:05 pm No, no. Line three is two lines:

I want nothing
I want nothing
I want no
Quid pro quo

I'm sure Randy Rainbow is already on top of this.
OMG you are so right, I can hardly wait to see what he does with this week!
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If nothing else, the Prez Supervillain account is going to have a blast.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Wow - Maloney's questioning of Sondland was like watching a cat toy with a mouse. If you didn't see it - here is the spirit.
Sondland: Mr. Maloney I've been very forthright and I really resent what you're trying to do.

Maloney: You've been very forthright? This is your third try to do so, sir. Didn't work so well the first time, did it?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hentzau wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:54 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:44 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:01 pm
Is he singing his speech? Because the first half would make a really good refrain.
I've been trying to fit it in with "I Feel Pretty" but the third line just doesn't work...
I'm hearing a Dr Seuss setup.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Smeggin' 'ell, he's losing it. Hope Walter Reed is on standby.

Pretty sure I Want Nothing is going to be his I'm Not A Crook.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:56 pm
I WANT NOTHING! I WANT NOTHING! I WANT NO QUID PRO QUO!
What people who have committed no crime say after they have been caught not committing that crime.
(And he said it the day after he learned the whistleblower report was going public.)

"I WANT NOTHING! BUT I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO US A FAVOR..."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's like OJ screaming, "I want no murder!"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And there it is...

malchior

Post by malchior »

Cooper's opening statement says that the Ukrainians were well aware of the funding issues on military assistance. Another GOP defense defeated. Not that defeating all defenses matter but the GOP makes up a defense and they knock it down. Almost like there is something to all this.

Also - it is interesting that they asked about it on July 25th. Not clear if before/after Trump call but that doesn't seem accidental.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

gilraen wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm To be fair to Castor - this is an impossible job if the goal was to defend the President on the merits. He needs to balance deploying the best shit show smoke screen he can against not get himself into trouble with the bar association. :)
The Last Resort rule: when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When the law is on your side, pound the law. When neither is on you side, pound the table.
Nunes actually had the gall to use that in his closing statement-

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

It takes a lot to be a bigger hypocritical piece of shit than Mitch McConnell, but Nunes is putting forth a valiant effort.
Zarathud

The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Zarathud »

I would be Test Trump Against the Weight of a Duck just to make the Republicans happy.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:56 pm "I WANT NOTHING! BUT I WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO US A FAVOR..."
I am genuinely curious about this and the insistence that there was NO QUID PRO QUO. 100% truth, I have been wondering all day if there's a belief on Trump's part that without a physical transfer of something tangible (a property, a deed, a suitcase full of unmarked bills) there is no QUID PRO QUO. Simply asking a foreign leader to go on TV and say something negative about Joe BIden in exchange for aid isn't like anything like giving people bullshit college degrees or steaks when they give you money.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Just catching up on today’s testimony. Sondland’s reaction to Trump’s tweets about him may be my favorite part. From CNN:
Ambassador Gordon Sondland just reacted to President Trump's shifting tone about him.

"Easy come, easy go," he said.

More on this: Earlier today, Trump reacted to Sondland's testimony, saying, "This is not a man I know well."
The knives are out!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:28 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:13 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:06 pm To be fair to Castor - this is an impossible job if the goal was to defend the President on the merits. He needs to balance deploying the best shit show smoke screen he can against not get himself into trouble with the bar association. :)
The Last Resort rule: when the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When the law is on your side, pound the law. When neither is on you side, pound the table.
Nunes actually had the gall to use that in his closing statement-

Wow. That sounded incredibly weak to me. Almost resigned that the gig is up, and there’s not much more Nunes and his GOP clown crew of Trump loyalists can do about it.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
milo

Post by milo »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 pm
I am genuinely curious about this and the insistence that there was NO QUID PRO QUO. 100% truth, I have been wondering all day if there's a belief on Trump's part that ...
Let me stop you right there. You are making a common mistake here in suggesting that Trump thinks words have meanings that can be used to describe facts about the objective world around us. Trump presents as having some form of narcissism. He is only able to understand words as sounds that either build him up or tear him down. Words that build him up (or do so indirectly by tearing down others) are those he believes to be true. Everything else is fake.

I know that probably sounds ridiculous. How could the President of the United States not understand that words describe an objective reality? But it really is the simplest explanation that fits his observable behavior. Note that this explains why Trump is fixated on Ukraine's unsuccessful (as well as completely fictional) attempt to bolster the Clinton campaign in 2016 and why he discounts the generally accepted understanding that Russians were helping support his own campaign at the direction of Vladimir Putin.
--milo
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kurth wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:46 pmWow. That sounded incredibly weak to me. Almost resigned that the gig is up, and there’s not much more Nunes and his GOP clown crew of Trump loyalists can do about it.
This is the best he does. It is his shtick. Every opening and closing statement has been along these lines. He has nothing. He isn't capable of more. He is the complete turd the right loves because they are essentially a nihilistic cult.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Here's the latest Rudy idea.

Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Nunes is such a tool. His opening statement is a long, exhausting tirade about how 'the Democrats got caught.'
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:05 am Here's the latest Rudy idea.

The mental gymnastic it would take to buy that argument must be exhausting. :confusion-seeingstars:
FTE
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Scraper wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:56 am
pr0ner wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:05 am Here's the latest Rudy idea.

The mental gymnastic it would take to buy that argument must be exhausting. :confusion-seeingstars:
Fortunately for Giuliani though the mental gymnasium is an endless hallway populated by a single ping pong ball perpetually bouncing in random directions. Yet another reason Trump proudly "loves the uneducated."
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

And yet, according to the 538 poll tracker overall support for impeachment has been slowly but consistently eroding over the course of the public hearings.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Zaxxon wrote:Nunes is such a tool. His opening statement is a long, exhausting tirade about how 'the Democrats got caught.'
Chewbacca defense.

Now click your heels together, Nunes, and repeat after me:
Trump got caught.
Trump got caught.
Trump got caught.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

They apparently put up this sign today.

So...he’s following the rules then? :lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:49 pm And yet, according to the 538 poll tracker overall support for impeachment has been slowly but consistently eroding over the course of the public hearings.

Enlarge Image
    This impeachment process will peter out and die over the next week or so unless they have video or audio recordings of Trump actually telling Zelensky that he hates Biden and wants him to destroy him. And even with that, I still have serious reservations that anything would happen to Trump. That's how fucked up our country's political environment is right now. It's not about what's right or wrong, it's about which party is right or wrong. Neither side will win/lose that argument, so this is where we are. Held hostage by the single most divisive force in our history. A massive coronary is our only real hope at this point. I hate saying that, but it's true.
    He won. Period.
    Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:23 pmIt's not about what's right or wrong, it's about which party is right or wrong. Neither side will win/lose that argument, so this is where we are. Held hostage by the single most divisive force in our history. A massive coronary is our only real hope at this point. I hate saying that, but it's true.
    Or, as Popehat put it:

Zaxxon
    Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 pm They apparently put up this sign today.

That is a rather remarkable self-own.
    Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think part of the lack of public support is that a lot of people don't really understand the charges. It isn't a blatant 'handed over secrets' or 'lied under oath' or 'ordered theft', it is abuse of power that most people don't understand hidden under a Latin phrase most people don't understand. It isn't easy to understand why 'investigate something I think is a crime' can be considered bad enough to remove the President from power, and that lends weight to the counter-argument that it is a political play.
    LawBeefaroni
    Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:40 pm
    Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:04 pm They apparently put up this sign today.

That is a rather remarkable self-own.
    "I could care less."
    " Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
    "No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
    LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

There are no words to describe the greatness of the GOP. Their ingenuity is unmatched. While at the same time they can't be any more honest in their approach.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

At this point we are finding out that our country is at high risk to be seen as a failed state in the long-term. Possibly next year if we reelect Trump.

This is a *very clear* case of abuse. The Republicans are acting like jackasses the whole time. The press actually did a good job explaining this but I keep hearing from people that they are not engaged.

They are switched off to our politics. At least in my circle. And it is understandable...sort of...but that is why we are circling the drain. The apathy is in a negative feedback cycle and that is why we are here.

I would love to see a poll to see if people are even watching to see if what I hear around me is true. I suspect it is.
    hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We have quite a ways to go before I think we can start calling ourselves a failed state. Take a look around. Things suck, but our founding fathers built a lot of redundancy into our country. I’m not trying to diminish how awful Trump is, but I also don’t think we should throw in the towel over one awful presidency. We survived McCarthyism, Nixon, Vietnam and the birth of reality tv. I think we’ll survive this too.
    He won. Period.
    Kraken

Post by Kraken »

hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 pm We have quite a ways to go before I think we can start calling ourselves a failed state. Take a look around. Things suck, but our founding fathers built a lot of redundancy into our country. I’m not trying to diminish how awful Trump is, but I also don’t think we should throw in the towel over one awful presidency. We survived McCarthyism, Nixon, Vietnam and the birth of reality tv. I think we’ll survive this too.
    Some of the things Trump has broken can't be put back together again. Will Europe ever trust America to lead NATO? Will anyone alive in 2040 forgive us from not only ignoring global warming while the clock ran out, but actively making it worse? How about ruining trust in the press and faith in the integrity of our own electoral process? Destroying the GOP's legitimacy? Elevating dictators and racists? Successfully placing the presidency above the law (still in progress...and on topic!)? We will survive one term of this, but all of those things will echo far into our future.
    malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 pm
    hepcat wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:12 pm We have quite a ways to go before I think we can start calling ourselves a failed state. Take a look around. Things suck, but our founding fathers built a lot of redundancy into our country. I’m not trying to diminish how awful Trump is, but I also don’t think we should throw in the towel over one awful presidency. We survived McCarthyism, Nixon, Vietnam and the birth of reality tv. I think we’ll survive this too.
    Some of the things Trump has broken can't be put back together again. Will Europe ever trust America to lead NATO? Will anyone alive in 2040 forgive us from not only ignoring global warming while the clock ran out, but actively making it worse? How about ruining trust in the press and faith in the integrity of our own electoral process? Destroying the GOP's legitimacy? Elevating dictators and racists? Successfully placing the presidency above the law (still in progress...and on topic!)? We will survive one term of this, but all of those things will echo far into our future.
    Exactly. I deal with European's all the time. I'll relate that I was literally told that a BDI info sharing session 4 months ago included guidance to not store log data in American data centers. I had to promise that data would be stored in the EU to get cooperation. And then get one of the European client leads to back that up in writing because I might be from the 'NSA'. Seriously. That actually happened at a major global corporation. I sat in a bar in Ireland explaining what the hell was happening during the Kavanaugh hearings. I'm out there dealing with this first hand. And these are generally informed professionals. They think between us and the British that the world is going to hell in a hand basket. It is nuts.

In other words, trust in our nation is in tatters even in our friends' eyes. Think about that. It has never been this bad in modern times. Even during Bush the Europeans were a bit divided over Iraq but they eventually pitched in. Now they are wondering if we'll just walk out of NATO at random. Our President's can randomly throw tariffs on goods for no reason. Our President cozies up to dictators and punishes our allies. Our President's can openly commit crimes and be protected. Our President's can destroy the world unilaterally. Our domestic and foreign policies shift drastically depending on who is in power lately. We are a basket case. Hoping this is just a bad run is...not supported by reality.
    Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 pm
    Kraken wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:26 pm
    Exactly. I deal with European's all the time. I'll relate that I was literally told that a BDI info sharing session 4 months ago included guidance to not store log data in American data centers. I had to promise that data would be stored in the EU to get cooperation. And then get one of the European client leads to back that up in writing because I might be from the 'NSA'. Seriously. That actually happened at a major global corporation. I sat in a bar in Ireland explaining what the hell was happening during the Kavanaugh hearings. I'm out there dealing with this first hand. And these are generally informed professionals. They think between us and the British that the world is going to hell in a hand basket. It is nuts.

In other words, trust in our nation is in tatters even in our friends' eyes. Think about that. It has never been this bad in modern times. Even during Bush the Europeans were a bit divided over Iraq but they eventually pitched in. Now they are wondering if we'll just walk out of NATO at random. Our President's can randomly throw tariffs on goods for no reason. Our President cozies up to dictators and punishes our allies. Our President's can openly commit crimes and be protected. Our President's can destroy the world unilaterally. Our domestic and foreign policies shift drastically depending on who is in power lately. We are a basket case. Hoping this is just a bad run is...not supported by reality.
    Just replacing Trump with a functioning adult doesn't fix this, because how can anyone trust that we won't screw up again? We have broken continuity. Maybe...MAYBE...we could regain some trust by convicting and removing him from office. It would show that Americans won't tolerate this and our system still works to end it. Failing to do so will only make things worse. You think he's out of control now? Wait until he is exonerated in the Senate.
    Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 pm
    This is the thing people don't realize. The American "empire" is largely based upon friendship, trust, and common values. In general we don't use coercion to maintain our alliances - they are not puppets as was the Warsaw Pact. We do use our power, but in the end, our allies do what they do because they trust us and we share common values and goals. But with Trump, there is no trust, values are fraying, and who the hell knows what Trump's goal is other than "Make American Great Again", which often seems like it means "Make Russia Relevant Again" and screw our friends and allies over (we can only get greater if they are lesser). I see stupid Trumpers claiming that we are respected in the world unlike during Obama, and they have no idea what they are saying because they are so insular that they don't understand the real world. They truly are a modern version of the "Know Nothing" party of the mid 1800's.
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
    Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is nothing that Trump broke that can't be fixed. It won't be easy or fast, but it can be fixed. If Germany from the 1920s through 80s can be put back together and trusted again, anything is possible.
    Zaxxon
    Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

hepcat wrote:We have quite a ways to go before I think we can start calling ourselves a failed state. Take a look around. Things suck, but our founding fathers built a lot of redundancy into our country. I’m not trying to diminish how awful Trump is, but I also don’t think we should throw in the towel over one awful presidency. We survived McCarthyism, Nixon, Vietnam and the birth of reality tv. I think we’ll survive this too.
    We'll survive it, sure. But the days of America leading the world are over. Done. Deservedly so. We suck, royally, and indisputably, as a nation.

If we ever regain that role, it's several decades from now through a serious restructuring of our political system. The one we have now is never recovering. It relied on norms and people actually caring to keep them, and that bus ain't turning around.