Post by Smoove_B »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm Tulsi Gabbard voted "present."

:x
Profiles in Courage, 2019.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Re: The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Grifman »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:29 pm It's history now. He'll never not be an impeached president.
If he's re-elected it won't matter :(
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The GOP really hates the American people.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:39 pm If he's re-elected it won't matter :(
Everyone knows he's a corrupt carnival barker. What is likely more important *right now* is that his enablers in Congress need to be held accountable for their votes. This is where I lose hope as the next step rests on the shoulders of the apathetic voting bloc. If they can't be bothered to show up en masse in 2020 and hold their elected representative's accountable, Trump is absolutely going to be re-elected.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:If they can't be bothered to show up en masse in 2020
It's not only going to take high turnout, it's going to require turnout large enough to override all the election interference and tampering Trump is going to do between now and November. It's a big ask, particularly since Trump now knows exactly which states he needs to target to ensure victory.

Whoops? Where did all those Democratic registrations go in Wisconsin? He will steal this election outright, in front of everybody, and the GOP will applaud him the entire way.
Last edited by YellowKing on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

🍑
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

The Meal wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:47 pm🍑
Mmmmm.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Holman wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:29 pm Trump is impeached!
Yahoo! Four more years! :wub:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Party lines ...party lines never change.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Remus West

Post by Remus West »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:46 pm
Smoove_B wrote:If they can't be bothered to show up en masse in 2020
It's not only going to take high turnout, it's going to require turnout large enough to override all the election interference and tampering Trump is going to do between now and November. It's a big ask, particularly since Trump now knows exactly which states he needs to target to ensure victory.

Whoops? Where did all those Democratic registrations go in Wisconsin? He will steal this election outright, in front of everybody, and the GOP will applaud him the entire way.
I've stopped worrying about this so much and started wondering what happens in 2024 when he "runs" again with GOP support. How far does the GOP let him go before we end up in an actual armed revolt against an illegitimate government? Will they let it get to that? Right now I'd hazard the guess they will.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Grifman wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:23 pm I consider myself an independent, and I've voted for people of both parties during my lifetime, from the president on down to city council and county commission. But I'm never voting for another Republican the rest of my life - right now, that party needs to just die, and some sort of new conservative party take it's place. This party is dead to me.
Hi, I'm Coop. Wait. I'm not even sure I can consider myself independent any more. I'm not a democrat but I am actively voting against the GOP, and I vote in democratic primaries, figuring that's where my voice is really expressed, a place I never thought I'd see myself. I place a resent standing in.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm a pragmatist. I'll never join any party in a two-party system. A candidate may get my vote but a party doesn't get my allegiance. That's the very reason we're in this mess in the first place.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've started my own party of one. The Hepicats. Don't even bother trying to join as the only one we trust is me.

...and, oddly enough, U2K.
He won. Period.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:18 am I've started my own party of one. The Ipecacs.
:vomit:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The Emetophilia group is two doors down.
He won. Period.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:37 pmNice to get a prediction like this squared. I'm not surprised because I read about him and saw video. My read was he was a spineless power seeker. Looks like I hit the mark.
Just pledged his "Undying support" via Poltico:
Van Drew made the move after breaking with the Democrats on impeachment, voting against both articles Wednesday night.

Trump quickly embraced Van Drew, endorsing him on Thursday. Vice President Mike Pence and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy also threw their support behind Van Drew.
"Jeff will be joining the Republican Party," Trump said.

Also joining the Trump-Van Drew meeting were acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney and Trump's daughter and senior adviser, Ivanka Trump.
To borrow a phrase, my arm is not long enough for the jerk off motion that is in my soul.

To highlight it in case you missed it:
Trump's daughter and senior adviser, Ivanka Trump.
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's hard to see him not getting viciously primaried as a Republican. His career, even recently, was about voting with Pelosi almost all the time, including on GOP litmus issues like Planned Parenthood.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Christianity Today - Trump Should Be Removed from Office
Unsavory dealings and immoral acts by the President and those close to him have rendered this administration morally unable to lead.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

He must have tapped into some of that GOP Russian money stream.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Brian wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 pm Christianity Today - Trump Should Be Removed from Office
Unsavory dealings and immoral acts by the President and those close to him have rendered this administration morally unable to lead.
They appeal to evangelicals, calling upon them as Christians.

That’s a common mistake. Evangelicals aren’t Christians.
He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its a little appalling how the news talks as if the Senate will actually hold a real trial on the matter. You never hear them say anything about what Mitch says or how the ywill do nothing. Its always "Next the Senate will take up the impeachment."...ya right. We all know how this will go.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Good ol' Chuck Todd said something the other night during the impeachment vote that gave me a glimmer of hope out of all this. And namely it was that even though the Senate will likely acquit, investigations will still be ongoing and Trump/Giuliani will still be out there doing stupid shit. The difference is now the GOP have cast formal votes backing Trump 100%, so they'll be accountable the next time he abuses power.

Obviously we can debate whether that means a hill of beans these days with the nation so polarized. However, it's at least something. If there's one thing that's a certainty, it's that this impeachment won't make Trump more cautious. Quite the opposite. The hope is that we've given the GOP enough rope to hang themselves, and tied the other end to Trump.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I really don't get how withholding sending over the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate gives democrats any leverage over the Senate trial. McConnell would be fine if the Democrats never send it, right? So....what exactly is going to force McConnell to change his approach?

Kind of seems like the most likely outcome is that the Democrats just wind up sending it over in a week or two.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They should follow the rule of law to the letter to provide a contrast to the fucktards.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 am I really don't get how withholding sending over the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate gives democrats any leverage over the Senate trial. McConnell would be fine if the Democrats never send it, right? So....what exactly is going to force McConnell to change his approach?

Kind of seems like the most likely outcome is that the Democrats just wind up sending it over in a week or two.
It is not about McConnell - it is about Trump. Trump is raging and wants the Senate to defend him. McConnell knows that the trial will hurt them so is resisting it. In reality the delay is likely to be only a fews week but it is a chance at getting more (insider witnesses perhaps) versus the sham trial. Why not try? It doesn't cost anything.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Holman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 pm It's hard to see him not getting viciously primaried as a Republican. His career, even recently, was about voting with Pelosi almost all the time, including on GOP litmus issues like Planned Parenthood.
He made a soul oath to the Great Leader. As long as he toes the line he gets protection from a primary. That is Trump's hold over the party in a nutshell.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:34 am They should follow the rule of law to the letter to provide a contrast to the fucktards.
Yes, please. For their sake, my sake, and then nation's sake.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:53 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:40 am I really don't get how withholding sending over the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate gives democrats any leverage over the Senate trial. McConnell would be fine if the Democrats never send it, right? So....what exactly is going to force McConnell to change his approach?

It is not about McConnell - it is about Trump. Trump is raging and wants the Senate to defend him. McConnell knows that the trial will hurt them so is resisting it. In reality the delay is likely to be only a fews week but it is a chance at getting more (insider witnesses perhaps) versus the sham trial. Why not try? It doesn't cost anything.
Maybe there's some value in delaying this until after the holidays anyway. McConnell could just have a two-hour 'trial' on say the afternoon of the 23rd and bury it.

Really, I just want to be sure that there is *some* sort of plan with a plausible end-game, even if it's just "embarrass McConnell and the Republicans for a couple weeks before sending over the impeachment articles", although even on that I would want to make sure that there's a realistic plan for how they're going to do that. They should absolutely hammer McConnell to have a trial with witnesses, but I don't see any plausible mechanism to force him to do that. Well, there is one plausible mechanism in terms of getting four vulnerable Senate Republicans on board with a trial with witnesses, but that seems like a fairly long shot.

Anyway, I just hope that Democrats have thought this through. And on that, I will say that I generally trust Pelosi's judgment and political acumen, so I have a little more faith than if this were just being run by Jerry Nadler or something.
Black Lives Matter.
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

The delay will be used to hammer at the senators who might be in favor of allowing witnesses. McConnell doesn’t call the shots on this as Schumer can call a vote on each witness and McConnell can’t prevent the vote. If four gop senators vote with dems to allow a witness to present evidence it happens.
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
Formix

Post by Formix »

There's also the hope that some other shoe will drop over the next few weeks, undermining the "perfect call" defense.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

malchior wrote:

This, listened to several ex Republicans fawning over Pelosi and Schumer, their consensus was that the hold up is to allow Schumer to convince 4 Republicans to force votes on every witness. Can we hear from Bolton? Vote. Mulvaney? Vote. Giuliani? Vote. And each time every Republican will have to say No We don't want hear from the people who should theoretically exonerate Trump.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Zarathud

The Trump Impeachment Thread

Post by Zarathud »

Plus Trump is terrible. The longer you leave the sword hanging over his head, the more likely HE shoots himself in the foot.

Or maybe Bolton will get pissed off over North Korea to start giving more than an interview to NPR.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I would love for Pelosi to delay until Jan 1, then announce that - in accordance to the precedent established by McConnell - they can’t send the articles over to the Senate because it would be subverting the will of the voters to have something that important decided in an election year. :twisted:

Let Twitler sit and stew on it for a year.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I hope that Pelosi is smarter than McConnell. Trump is McConnell's handicap in their game of 4D chess...I'm glad Nancy's playing for our side.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Oh, well that should certainly clear things up. :lol:

It’s nice when the boss has your back.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Christian Post: Convict Trump: The Constitution is more important than abortion
Christians should advocate for President Donald J. Trump’s conviction and removal from office by the Senate. While Trump has an excellent record of appointing conservative judges and advancing a prolife agenda, his criminal conduct endangers the Constitution. The Constitution is more important than the prolife cause because without the Constitution, prolife advocacy would be meaningless.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

This thread should go on vacation for 2.5 weeks, just like our hard working Congress......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

National Review...

Editor’s Note: National Review has inaugurated a new feature, “To the Contrary,” where an NR writer dissents from NR’s official editorial line and another writer replies. NR opposes impeachment, but below, Ramesh Ponnuru makes the case for it in an article that originally appeared in the December 31, 2019, issue of the magazine. A reply by Michael Brendan Dougherty is nearby.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/12/ ... peachment/