RIP John Paul Stevens

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

RIP John Paul Stevens

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
John Paul Stevens, a moderate Republican and former antitrust lawyer from Chicago who evolved into a savvy and sometimes passionate leader of the Supreme Court’s liberal wing and became the third-longest-serving justice on the court before he retired in 2010, died July 16 at a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He was 99.

The cause was complications from a stroke he suffered Monday, according to an announcement from the Supreme Court. The only justices who served longer were William O. Douglas, whom Justice Stevens replaced in 1975, and Stephen J. Field, a nominee of President Abraham Lincoln who served for much of the late 19th century.

During his 35-year tenure, Justice Stevens left his stamp on nearly every area of the law, writing the court’s opinions in landmark cases on government regulation, the death penalty, criminal law, intellectual property and civil liberties.

He also spoke for the court when it held presidents accountable under the law, writing the 1997 decision that required President Bill Clinton to face Paula Jones’s sexual harassment suit, and the 2006 opinion that barred President George W. Bush from holding military trials for prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba without congressional authorization.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Re: RIP John Paul Stevens

Post by El Guapo »

I'm surprised how many people I talked to yesterday and today who thought that Stevens was still a justice, including a couple lawyer friends.

RIP.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:25 am I'm surprised how many people I talked to yesterday and today who thought that Stevens was still a justice, including a couple lawyer friends.

RIP.
You're not the only one.

Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spoiler:
Deleted earlier RT of @SCOTUSBlog. Running on exceedingly little sleep, somehow read that as Breyer. Not sure how, no good explanation. Anyway, you all can settle down now.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Who is Liz Mair and why does that matter?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wiki
Elizabeth Mair is an American political and communications consultant.
Mair served as Online Communications Director at the 2008 Republican National Committee. There, she also served as a spokesperson, undertaking on-camera interviews and debates on behalf of the RNC and the John McCain campaign against representatives of the Barack Obama campaign and the DNC.

Since the RNC Mair has worked for U.S. politicians including Rand Paul, Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Carly Fiorina, and Roy Blunt.

In 2013 Mair was named one of Campaigns & Elections' INFLUENCERS 50 in the field of communications in 2013.

In December 2015, Mair helped create the Make America Awesome Super PAC, "as a vehicle to attack Donald Trump".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Still don't understand why she matters. Other than "Ooooh, someone associated with the GOP fucked up!"

Waste of mental bandwidth. Do that 1,000 times a day and voila, day wasted. [/Angry old man]
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:24 pm Still don't understand why she matters. Other than "Ooooh, someone associated with the GOP fucked up!"

Waste of mental bandwidth. Do that 1,000 times a day and voila, day wasted. [/Angry old man]
She's also one of the people being sued by Devin Nunes.

And I wouldn't have noticed it if Popehat hadn't retweeted (and therefore amplified) the tweet I posted here.
Hodor.