The death of driving

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

The death of driving

Post by Isgrimnur »

First they came for the truck drivers and I did not speak out...
Truck drivers worried about losing their jobs to robots staged a protest outside the Capitol building in Jefferson City, Missouri on Tuesday.

Their goal was to convince the government to pass a bill that would prohibit any self-driving trucks from driving on Missouri roads, KRCG reports. While there are no autonomous trucks handling shipping jobs in the state yet, the truckers see the emerging technology as a grave threat to their job security and livelihoods — unrest that signals what can happen when jobs are automated without giving thought to the displaced workers.
Given that you're going to run afoul of interstate commerce rules, the feds can pretty much stomp all over this with no issues, even if it's passed.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Isgrimnur

Re: The death of driving

Post by Isgrimnur »

Aus
Rio Tinto has placed orders for autonomous trucks and drills for its forthcoming $2.6 billion “intelligent mine” Koodaideri.

The miner said today that it will buy “a fleet of 20 autonomous 793F trucks as well as four autonomous blast drills” from Caterpillar and the heavy equipment maker’s Western Australian dealer WesTrac.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've told my kids that the best job security for them would be to go into robotics. Fixing the workforce may be the biggest industry in the world soon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:56 am I've told my kids that the best job security for them would be to go into robotics. Fixing the workforce may be the biggest industry in the world soon.
What if they're using robots to fix robots?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Once the robots are fixing the robots and thus have no further use for humans, the best career option is to sign up with John Connor.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

I just don't understand why they are not running in the air ports. Baggage cart and tow motors. It's a closed environment with good markings and no pedestrians.
Is it that they don't trust robots with 350 million dollar airplanes but are ok with killing your kids?
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not sure why this topic is under R&P. Is it because of the labour force impact?

Anyway...

The robo racing cars accelerating driverless tech
Johannes Betz is not your typical racing car driver.

For a start, he doesn't get in the vehicle - it's driverless. As a post-doctoral researcher, he is in charge of the Technical University of Munich's entry in the Roborace motorsport competition, now in its first competitive season.

All these cars are electric and self-driving. "We started in early 2017, when my professor saw this in a newspaper," he says.

"Each month, we have to develop our software a little further, and then go to an event - yeah, like Formula 1," he laughs.

Each team - the University of Pisa and electric van start-up Arrival also compete - writes software for an identical racing car, currently the DevBot 2.0, which is capable of speeds over 200mph (322km/h).

It is guided by six cameras, two radars, 18 ultrasound sensors, and five lidar [light detection and ranging] sensors. The onboard computer processor is capable of 24 trillion operations a second.
But what is the point of racing driverless cars?

It's an important way to assess the quality of the sensors and cameras which autonomous vehicles (AVs) will rely on, explains Mr Balcombe.

And "testing performance limits on real roads is not something, as a member of society, I'm 100% comfortable with," he says.

He plans to introduce obstacles for the DevBots to navigate, such as slower-moving lorries and tractors. Overtaking is the hardest race course task to automate, says Dr Betz.

The ultimate aim is to find out whether driverless cars can eventually "perform at a level so you can't detect it's an AI," Mr Balcombe says.
Just to keep it on topic(?): Won't someone think of the Formula 1 drivers!
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I think that the most anyone can hope for is to be a speed bump to progress, by trying to use laws to protect jobs from technology. Maybe we should bring the horse and buggy back?

What I think should be happening is a joint effort between government and employers to map out the labor demands that the future holds, and then they direct the people to get educated/trained in those areas.

Right now it's up to parents and their children to decide what the child should do once adulthood is reached. Who has access to more and better data regarding future labor demands, a random parent or the government? Should an 18 year old really be expected to efficiently map out their working life? In short I think the way people prepare for adulthood, where employment is concerned, is ridiculously out of date and the country is going to pay the price for it. That's why workers like truck drivers are dismayed to hear that their jobs aren't guaranteed for life. No one was saying to them, years ago, "Hey, this is what's going to happen in the future...".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A UBI recipient!"
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 pm I think that the most anyone can hope for is to be a speed bump to progress, by trying to use laws to protect jobs from technology. Maybe we should bring the horse and buggy back?
How's the English textile industry these days?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:36 pm I think that the most anyone can hope for is to be a speed bump to progress, by trying to use laws to protect jobs from technology. Maybe we should bring the horse and buggy back?
About a year ago our CEO even suggested in an employee meeting that we NOT use online bill pay because a declining part of the business is printing statements and invoices.

At the same time, he fancies us a technology company. :doh:
Black Lives Matter