Weaponized headlines

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Weaponized headlines

Post by LawBeefaroni »

JUDICIAL WATCH: DEFENSE, STATE DEPARTMENT DOCUMENTS REVEAL OBAMA ADMINISTRATION KNEW THAT AL QAEDA TERRORISTS HAD PLANNED BENGHAZI ATTACK 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE

Truth: The Administration learned the day after the attack that it was planned 10 days in advance.

Won't stop the wrong idea from getting out there and once it's out there, the damage is done.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Isgrimnur

Re: Weaponized headlines

Post by Isgrimnur »

Those that believe Judicial Watch are already in the bag for those conspiracies.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am Those that believe Judicial Watch are already in the bag for those conspiracies.
The thing is, there is no "advanced warning" conspiracy in the actual article. Just the intentionally misleading headline. It reinforces that deception without actually reporting it. That's more dangerous than making up a bunch of easily dismissed bullshit in an article.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

There are also degrees of conspiracy theories here. There's also a wide complaint on the right that the Obama administration initially said that the Benghazi attacks were the outgrowth of "spontaneous demonstrations". I suspect that Judicial Watch would say that they're disproving that initial notion with this.
Black Lives Matter.
Holman

Post by Holman »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 am Those that believe Judicial Watch are already in the bag for those conspiracies.
The thing is, there is no "advanced warning" conspiracy in the actual article. Just the intentionally misleading headline. It reinforces that deception without actually reporting it. That's more dangerous than making up a bunch of easily dismissed bullshit in an article.
In this case it doesn’t matter. Judicial Watch is Glenn Beck level stuff. Demanding honest journalism from them is like complaining that Alex Jones’ research isn’t peer-reviewed.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 am
In this case it doesn’t matter. Judicial Watch is Glenn Beck level stuff. Demanding honest journalism from them is like complaining that Alex Jones’ research isn’t peer-reviewed.
I'm not really demanding anything from them. Just observing how they are using the headline to spread the message. Possibly because they know only the choir will actually read their articles. I've seen it reposted 3 or 4 times already.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Holman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 am In this case it doesn’t matter. Judicial Watch is Glenn Beck level stuff. Demanding honest journalism from them is like complaining that Alex Jones’ research isn’t peer-reviewed.
But it is peer reviewed! (You just don't want to know who Jone's peers are.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:22 am JUDICIAL WATCH: DEFENSE, STATE DEPARTMENT DOCUMENTS REVEAL OBAMA ADMINISTRATION KNEW THAT AL QAEDA TERRORISTS HAD PLANNED BENGHAZI ATTACK 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE

Truth: The Administration learned the day after the attack that it was planned 10 days in advance.

Won't stop the wrong idea from getting out there and once it's out there, the damage is done.
But don't you dare call it FAKE NEWS.

Only evil librul soshalists do that sort of thing.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:41 am
Holman wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 am In this case it doesn’t matter. Judicial Watch is Glenn Beck level stuff. Demanding honest journalism from them is like complaining that Alex Jones’ research isn’t peer-reviewed.
But it is peer reviewed! (You just don't want to know who Jone's peers are.)
I was going to mention the time Alex Jones defended Cedric Benson (at the time of that Texas boat arrest) by telling him he should declare, "I am not your slave!!!" I went looking for the clip and saw that Benson died this August in motorcycle accident. Wha?

So...OT and belated RIP to Benson. :(

MYT