If Donald Trump decided to launch nuclear weapons tomorrow...

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Drazzil

If Donald Trump decided to launch nuclear weapons tomorrow...

Post by Drazzil »

Say tomorrow morning, President Trump wakes up, brushes the Big Mac crumbs off his shirt; stretches out and waddles himself into the Oval Office. For whatever reason, a stroke, impending impeachment or just sheer folly; he decides that "Those Chinese sumbitches gotta go" Would anyone be able to stop him if he wants to use Nukes unprovoked and consults with no one first?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Smoove_B

Re: If Donald Trump decided to launch nuclear weapons tomorrow...

Post by Smoove_B »

He can't even close an umbrella and I'm expected to believe he has the ability to launch a nuclear missile by himself? Not worried. At all.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:34 pm He can't even close an umbrella and I'm expected to believe he has the ability to launch a nuclear missile by himself? Not worried. At all.
I'm hoping that Mark Esper current secdef would decline the president's orders.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Light 'em up, baby! MAGtothemotherfuckingA!

At least that's why they'd tell him as they hand him the red power switch to the water purifier in the conference room.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Drazzil wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:28 pm Say tomorrow morning, President Trump wakes up, brushes the Big Mac crumbs off his shirt; stretches out and waddles himself into the Oval Office. For whatever reason, a stroke, impending impeachment or just sheer folly; he decides that "Those Chinese sumbitches gotta go" Would anyone be able to stop him if he wants to use Nukes unprovoked and consults with no one first?
China? Nah, California would be more plausible to me.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I am not a lawyer or a constitutional scholar or anything, but my understanding was that...

Under Nixon, the Sec of Defense (I think) gave orders that any such orders from Nixon would have to be approved by him, but that was a constitutionally questionable order.

Hopefully, the current administration has put something in place along those lines.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It would be fine as long as it's aimed at a hurricane.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The thing that stops him is that Trump doesn't launch nuclear weapons. Trump gives the order to launch nuclear weapons. Someone else (multiple someones) actually have to push the button, and those people have already spent years soul-searching about what they'd do if he decided to use them to, say, get rid of a competing golf course.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Trump has to okay anything with Putin and then Saudi Arabia. Then he'll take a nap and forget about it.
He won. Period.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Not sure what you're worried about, it's not like Dick Cheney is VP anymore. :mrgreen:
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's entirely possible for two presidents to be awful...especially when they're both Republicans. :ninja:

<with the caveat that I never for once thought Bush was mentally ill and/or morally bankrupt>
He won. Period.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

hepcat wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:11 am It's entirely possible for two presidents to be awful...especially when they're both Republicans. :ninja:

<with the caveat that I never for once thought Bush was mentally ill and/or morally bankrupt>
When he lied to get us into war with Iraq you didn't question his moral bankruptcy?
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

No. I did question the power the aforementioned Cheney (and Wolfowitz) had over him though. Bush never came across as vindictive or completely stupid. Just easily swayed by those with hawkish agendas. I wouldn't argue that he was suited for the job though. He seemed to be a bit addled at times, but not mentally ill.
He won. Period.