U of Iowa officials to pay damages for anti-religion policies

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

paulbaxter

U of Iowa officials to pay damages for anti-religion policies

Post by paulbaxter »

I'm not likely to weigh in on this discussion, but I thought this was quite a story:

Article from The Gazette

Story from Becket Law, who handled the suit
No sig, must scream, etc.
hepcat

Re: U of Iowa officials to pay damages for anti-religion policies

Post by hepcat »

Sounds like Intervarsity decided to ask a gay member who was trying for a leadership position to sign a statement agreeing that homosexuality is a sin. And that was the cause for at least one of the incidents. Personally, I find that pretty damn egregious. And while I can understand the court's ruling, it doesn't mean I think they're any less crappy as human beings.
Covfefe!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah. It's not cool that they be discriminated against, but they should definitely be called out for their shitty views.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

Can’t say I’m really on the University’s side with the InterVaristy thing. Bad group, but they get to have thier own rules. Hopefully students will shun the group themselves without the need for official reprimand. Having a state agency come down on a private religious organization because of its tenets is questionable in the extreme.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)