Passing the torch (Kennedy v Markey)

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

Passing the torch (Kennedy v Markey)

Post by Kraken »

Several people have expressed displeasure with all the septuagenarians running for president, and the persistence of oldsters in politics overall. My feeling is that politics is a long game of acquiring power and money and influence; those who've been at it the longest are also the strongest because that's how it works. However, I'm also sympathetic to the argument that people's mental faculties eventually ossify. I'm in my early 60s and I'm not as sharp as I used to be, nor do I have as much stamina -- although I like to think that accumulating experience (wisdom, if you will) offsets some of that. Jimmy Carter recently said that he doesn't believe an 80-year-old has what it takes to be president; even if he could turn the clock back 15 years, he wouldn't be able to do the job well. (Let's leave aside the question of whether he did it well when he was in his 50s.)

An interesting case study is what some are calling the most-watched Democratic Senate primary in the country: Joe Kennedy (38) vs Ed Markey (73). Both men are solid liberals. Both are vocally anti-Trump. Markey is the leader on climate issues, and he's at the top of his game. There is no objective reason that the party would be better off without him. Kennedy's ONLY justification for primarying Markey is generational change -- he believes that, as the scion of an ancient political dynasty, he offers desirable "fresh blood." Markey has been in Congress longer than Kennedy has been alive. Yet, because the Kennedy name is magical in MA, Kennedy is the immediate front-runner.
Kennedy’s entrance is supremely unhelpful to the national Democratic Party. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee is dedicated to protecting incumbent senators, so if Kennedy does become the front-runner, it may have to spend money to protect Markey. That’s money the committee would much rather be stockpiling to spend in the general election in Colorado and Arizona to unseat Republicans.

Massachusetts doesn’t play into the battle for the Senate. But implicitly, and maybe even explicitly, it will play a big role in Democrats’ broader battle about generational change.

Should Kennedy have waited his turn? Should Markey step aside? What will voters decide? Which one would you back?
Last edited by Kraken on Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Re: Passing the torch (or wresting it away)

Post by Jaymann »

The only saving grace for Biden, et al, is that I am still younger than them!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think the core problem is that old people vote and they vote for their own. If people in the 18-25 demographic were actually motivated to vote (use healthcare, not go to college, utilize mass transit, etc...) I think entire segments of our society would need to change overnight.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I was originally going to go with "When Democrats eat their own," but I decided to broaden the subject because the rest of the country probably isn't as fascinated by the Kennedy-Markey race as our media believe they are. It's being portrayed here as a wasteful contest that is purely about generational change.

Myself, I don't see any reason to fire Markey. The Senate especially rewards seniority, and neither one of our senators have much of that. Kind of pointless to remove a guy who's doing fine for an upstart who has no compelling argument against him. It's more about effectiveness than age, to me. But then, I'm old.
Holman

Post by Holman »

From outside of MA, it seems like a huge waste of monnedy and political capital.

Young Kennedies are only valuable to the degree to which they Kennedy, and Massachusetts is full up. If Kennedites want to expand, they should move to states in need of Kennedies.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Young blood, please.

I’m at the age where my parents and those of most of my friends are in their mid- to late 70s. I’ve yet to meet one who I felt had the mental and physical constitution to be leader of the free world.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:08 pm Young blood, please.

I’m at the age where my parents and those of most of my friends are in their mid- to late 70s. I’ve yet to meet one who I felt had the mental and physical constitution to be leader of the free world.
Warren is 70. Rubio is 48.

There's no question about who is better qualified.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote:Young blood, please.

To be fair, they likely didn’t have it two decades ago, either.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My feeling is that politics is a long game of acquiring power and money and influence; those who've been at it the longest are also the strongest because that's how it works.
This is what it is. And it's not necessarily a bad thing.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:06 pm
My feeling is that politics is a long game of acquiring power and money and influence; those who've been at it the longest are also the strongest because that's how it works.
This is *part* of what it is. The boomers happened to also have a major population advantage and when enough of them started voting they took over power...early. Eventually the millennials may do the same. If the boomers leave them a Republic.
Fireball

Post by Fireball »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:06 pm
I'd say it's usually a good thing. Being an effective political leader requires finely honed skills that take time to develop.
Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:17 am
Zarathud: The sad thing is that Barak Obama is a very intelligent and articulate person, even when you disagree with his views it's clear that he's very thoughtful. I would have loved to see Obama in a real debate.
Me: Wait 12 years, when he runs for president. :-)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think it has more to do with money and power and connections of who you know.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Because at least a few of you are following Markey v. Kennedy...this ad dropped today.

Holman

Post by Holman »

That's an amazing ad.

I didn't watch past the Markey part, but I assume the guys discussing it approve of Markey stealing JFK's line and running with it. That was top notch.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, I couldn't quickly find the standalone ad on youtube, only on twitter...which I don't use or know how to link. I cut out the host's intro and didn't watch past the end of the ad. Thought it was good enough to share. I'm supporting Markey, if that wasn't obvious before.
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Leaning towards Markey myself. Kennedy is no working class AOC and Markey has enough progressive bona fides for me to think he can help fight for change.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I delivered our ballots yesterday, so that's two Markey votes. Lots of Kennedy signs in our neighborhood, though.
Kraken

Re: Passing the torch (Kennedy v Markey)

Post by Kraken »

(Changed thread title because even I keep forgetting what it was)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Other than youth and the inherited name, what is this Kennedy offering?

The typical "kid vs. incumbent" primary pits a more progressive up-and-comer against entrenched interests, but Markey is about as progressive as they come.

Is this just about the Kennedy family narrative?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 pm I delivered our ballots yesterday, so that's two Markey votes. Lots of Kennedy signs in our neighborhood, though.
Just confirmed that our primary ballots (for Markey) were received and accepted.
Black Lives Matter.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

El Guapo wrote:
Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 pm I delivered our ballots yesterday, so that's two Markey votes. Lots of Kennedy signs in our neighborhood, though.
Just confirmed that our primary ballots (for Markey) were received and accepted.
Same here. I feel confident in a fair and free election...when I vote in the newly formed United Northeast Compact of America after our secession from the US in the aftermath of the fixed election of 2020.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
El Guapo wrote:
Same here. I feel confident in a fair and free election...when I vote in the newly formed United Northeast Compact of America after our secession from the US in the aftermath of the fixed election of 2020.
You're just trying to preserve anti-slavery!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Looks like it's going to be Markey by 8-10 points. Unless I was misinformed, this will be the first time a Kennedy has run for office in MA and lost.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I stand corrected: It's the first time a Kennedy has lost a race for Congress in MA. This boston.com story has a good play-by-play.

The good news is that the torch wasn't passed and the whippersnapper didn't wrest it away.